HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators @ Capitals, 4.25.13, 7:00 EST, Verizon Center

Old
04-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Chokingdogs

vCash: 500
there was an episode of caps red line on the nhl network i caught the other day....probably the second or third one i've ever seen.

at any rate, they did the "ride along" segment w/big john. if i wasnt already a card carrying member of the erskine fan club, i would have been. since i was, i became a member of the erskine BOD with what i saw.

firstly, he's a recent convert to na$car, sadly it's with HMS, and methinks probably jimmy's johnson. an outside shot he got hooked up with jr., but who knows.

bottom line, he talked frankly about what he's "to do" on the ice now. said he's been given more responsibility ( and it feels good being "rewarded for hard work" ), and the coaches want him on the ice rather than in the box.

however, as he said with a cheshire cat grin, if skulls really need a cracking or two, he's more than ready to administer said cracking.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:29 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
there was an episode of caps red line on the nhl network i caught the other day....probably the second or third one i've ever seen.

at any rate, they did the "ride along" segment w/big john. if i wasnt already a card carrying member of the erskine fan club, i would have been. since i was, i became a member of the erskine BOD with what i saw.

firstly, he's a recent convert to na$car, sadly it's with HMS, and methinks probably jimmy's johnson. an outside shot he got hooked up with jr., but who knows.

bottom line, he talked frankly about what he's "to do" on the ice now. said he's been given more responsibility ( and it feels good being "rewarded for hard work" ), and the coaches want him on the ice rather than in the box.

however, as he said with a cheshire cat grin, if skulls really need a cracking or two, he's more than ready to administer said cracking.
This one?

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/vid...b-f7e6dc450000

tycoonheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:34 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
My favorite website!

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:38 AM
RockTheRedDC

Nice to find this board.
Congrats to our Caps they made the playoff after a slow start in the short season.

I can’t say our loss to Sens is the end of the world. Could be a positive thing.
-the 2 points that Sens got keep Rangers out of 6th . I will be glad to see Rangers playing Pit in 1st round.
-Ovi scored
-Was a good fight, the guys will be more motivated if they meet Sens in the 1st round. They are very mad to get revenge for the three loses in the regular. Oates could find a way against their trap. We are underdogs if we play Ott and I like that. They have the best goalie and defense in the league and would be hard but their offense sucks and Ovi could find a way to score.

Rock the Red!

RockTheRedDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:27 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTheRedDC View Post
Nice to find this board.
Congrats to our Caps they made the playoff after a slow start in the short season.

I canít say our loss to Sens is the end of the world. Could be a positive thing.
-the 2 points that Sens got keep Rangers out of 6th . I will be glad to see Rangers playing Pit in 1st round.
-Ovi scored
-Was a good fight, the guys will be more motivated if they meet Sens in the 1st round. They are very mad to get revenge for the three loses in the regular. Oates could find a way against their trap. We are underdogs if we play Ott and I like that. They have the best goalie and defense in the league and would be hard but their offense sucks and Ovi could find a way to score.

Rock the Red!
Welcome, grats on your first post. You will hate us by the end of the day

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I would much rather have the Rangers in 6th and the Senators in 8th. We can beat the Rangers, I'm not so sure about us being able to beat the Senators. Plus the Sens' disciplined play, speed, and work ethic would at least make the Penguins work for the series. Who knows, Anderson might even be able to pull off some playoff magic and knock out the Pens.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:05 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I would much rather have the Rangers in 6th and the Senators in 8th. We can beat the Rangers, I'm not so sure about us being able to beat the Senators. Plus the Sens' disciplined play, speed, and work ethic would at least make the Penguins work for the series. Who knows, Anderson might even be able to pull off some playoff magic and knock out the Pens.
The Rangers are the better team when it comes down to it and the one that is more battle tested.

You fear the Senators b/c of how we did in 3 regular season games with them. One which meant nothing to us. Another at the beginning of the season when we sucked and one which we didn't show up for.

I think we smash them in a 7 game series. Their style of play reminds me of some Caps teams of old. Hard working low on talent except for a couple guys.

In the playoffs when EVERY team works hard the cream rises to the top more often than not. Sens will be in for a rude awakening.

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:11 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

How can a Caps fan say the cream rises in the postseason?

2012-Boston was a better team than us. We were a better team than the Rangers.

2011- we were a better team than tampa

2010- we were a better team than Montreal

2008- we were a better team than Philly

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:14 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

Caps were actually better than Boston post deadline, and the Rags were better than us post deadline last year. Not sure if it matters over such a short stretch but it may make sense from a hot/cold perspective.

Will be interesting to see if someone breaks down the post-deadline advanced stats. On the year the Caps are the better than only TOR as far as playoff teams go (unless CBus makes it).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:45 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

If you look at the 90s (I was specifically speaking to a team like Ottawa) the Caps for the most part had hard working teams without much top end skill. 91-92 maybe an exception although I tend to believe we caught alot of players having good/career years on our team at the same time.

We'd do pretty well against the likes of Pittsburgh in the regular season. When the palyoffs came around all they did was play hard and batton down the hatches like we'd do all season. Once the hardwork/effort level was equal or close to it then we lost our advantage.

I have seen the same thing with the Rags over the last few years and Ottawa is a comprable. That style of trap n collapse/play north south is more along the lines of what every team flows towards when playoffs roll around.

Players are more willing to sacrifice their bodies. Coaches get more conservative. Games become tighter and there is less open ice.

Once most every team starts doing it, those that relied on it all season lose some of their competitive advantage.

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Kegger

Its all about match-ups. That said, a team can be better on paper but all of that is thrown out the window come playoff time. Chess. Hunter was great at matchups, but forgot about the scoring and allowing more risk taking on the offense. I think Oates system will work out better in the playoffs, but teams who do more trapping (Ottawa) those match ups could hurt the Caps. Would rather play Montreal, Toronto, Rangers, Boston even...before we match up against Ottawa or even the Isles. Isles speed, it would be a series that would end up closer than it really needed to be.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
The Rangers are the better team when it comes down to it and the one that is more battle tested.

You fear the Senators b/c of how we did in 3 regular season games with them. One which meant nothing to us. Another at the beginning of the season when we sucked and one which we didn't show up for.

I think we smash them in a 7 game series. Their style of play reminds me of some Caps teams of old. Hard working low on talent except for a couple guys.

In the playoffs when EVERY team works hard the cream rises to the top more often than not. Sens will be in for a rude awakening.
I fear them because they remind me of Montreal in 2009. Hard working, disciplined, good at clogging up the neutral zone, excellent at winning races to loose pucks, and have a goalie who can absolutley steal games. There's no goalie in the league who's playing better than Craig Anderson right now.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:51 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
What did Chimera get the misconduct for at the end of regulation? He wasn't even on the ice for it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
It had to be yapping about the idiotic penalty calls by the refs. The one on Ribs at the end. I can't blame the Caps for letting their emotions boil over there.
Sure enough...

@VogsCaps
Quote:
Took gloves off and golf-clapped after the call on Ribeiro. Best misconduct ever, IMO.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:52 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

That is ****ing funny. Please tell me somebody got that on camera.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:07 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

So win. Go Chimmer.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Hattrick Swayzie*

Ottawa trapping? They are an offensive team, not a defensive team by any stretch. They do not employ a trap

Hattrick Swayzie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Hattrick Swayzie*

Having guys like Mike Ribeiro is the main reason the Caps have always underachieved. Him, Green, Ovie, all have character issues

Old
04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Its all about match-ups. That said, a team can be better on paper but all of that is thrown out the window come playoff time. Chess. Hunter was great at matchups, but forgot about the scoring and allowing more risk taking on the offense. I think Oates system will work out better in the playoffs, but teams who do more trapping (Ottawa) those match ups could hurt the Caps. Would rather play Montreal, Toronto, Rangers, Boston even...before we match up against Ottawa or even the Isles. Isles speed, it would be a series that would end up closer than it really needed to be.
Yeah, Ottawa traps as hard as I've seen anyone do it in recent years. That's tough for a skilled team to deal with for sure. Definitely want to avoid Ottawa's trap.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Hattrick Swayzie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Yeah, Ottawa traps as hard as I've seen anyone do it in recent years. That's tough for a skilled team to deal with for sure. Definitely want to avoid Ottawa's trap.
No,they do not trap. Not even close.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:30 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 3375
Its a trap. They trap.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:32 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I fear them because they remind me of Montreal in 2009. Hard working, disciplined, good at clogging up the neutral zone, excellent at winning races to loose pucks, and have a goalie who can absolutley steal games. There's no goalie in the league who's playing better than Craig Anderson right now.
They're actually a much better team than MTL in terms of dictating the pace of the game, too. MTL was a team that would cling on for dear life while getting outshot and outchanced tremendously (sorta like TOR this year). OTT actually tends to control the pace of play and outchance the other team.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
They're actually a much better team than MTL in terms of dictating the pace of the game, too. MTL was a team that would cling on for dear life while getting outshot and outchanced tremendously (sorta like TOR this year). OTT actually tends to control the pace of play and outchance the other team.
Yeah. Ottawa's trapping style definitely allows them to counter-attack more effectively. I'm not a big proponent of trapping myself, but it works and Ottawa really has that aspect of the game down.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Hattrick Swayzie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its a trap. They trap.
False. Their system is modelled after the Red Wings and is based on puck possession. Trapping teams don't lead the league in shots on goal.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick Swayzie View Post
False. Their system is modelled after the Red Wings and is based on puck possession. Trapping teams don't lead the league in shots on goal.
D00d do you even watch Ottawa's games? They trap as hard as New Jersey in its trapping prime. They're known around the league for two things: Erik Karlsson, and the trap.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Hattrick Swayzie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
D00d do you even watch Ottawa's games? They trap as hard as New Jersey in its trapping prime. They're known around the league for two things: Erik Karlsson, and the trap.
No, you don't watch Ottawa games. I've watched every Ottawa game over the past 2 seasons.

There is no trap, no defensive system in place. Their goalies are just good. Erik Karlsson dictates the offence and he will be the best player on the ice every game in the WSH-OTT series next week.