HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Training Camp

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 02:10 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
If Te'o is there at 41 do you want him? I see a run on Qbs to start the 2nd round and I'm hoping the Bills get Hunter in this draft. But at 41 Te'o? Hunter/Woods at 46?
I'd look at Wreh-Wilson at 41, then maybe Hunter at 46.

For reference, here are the players the Bills brought in for visits (in chronological order, top to bottom):

NamePOSSchool
E.J. ManuelQBFlorida State
Cooper TaylorSSRichmond
Malcolm BronsonFSMcNeese State
Mike GlennonQBNorth Carolina State
Jamie CollinsOLBSouthern Mississippi
Jonathan MeeksSSClemson
Russell ShepardWRLSU
Geno SmithQBWest Virginia
Kevin MinterILBLSU
Kenny VaccaroSTexas
Ryan SwopeWRTexas A & M
Jarvis JonesOLBGeorgia
Landry JonesQBOklahoma
Ryan GriffinTEConnecticut
Barkevious MingoOLBLSU
Justin HunterWRTennessee
Jeff TuelQBWashington State
Matt ScottQBArizona
Zach RogersWRTennessee
Matt BarkleyQBUSC
Dion JordanDEOregon
Alec OgletreeILBGeorgia
Da'Rick RogersWRTennessee Tech
Tyler BrayQBTennessee
Cordarrelle PattersonWRTennessee
Vance McDonaldTERice
Phillip ThomasFSFresno State
Tyler WilsonQBArkansas
Kyle JuszczykFBHarvard
Ja'Gared DavisOLBSMU

Interesting notes: E.J. Manuel was in the first group of players to visit. No CBs visited.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:15 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

For reference, here are the players the Bills brought in for visits (in chronological order, top to bottom):

NamePOSSchool
Cooper TaylorSSRichmond
Jonathan MeeksSSClemson
Russell ShepardWRLSU
Kevin MinterILBLSU
Kenny VaccaroSTexas
Ryan SwopeWRTexas A & M
Jarvis JonesOLBGeorgia
Landry JonesQBOklahoma
Barkevious MingoOLBLSU
Justin HunterWRTennessee
Matt ScottQBArizona
Zach RogersWRTennessee
Matt BarkleyQBUSC
Dion JordanDEOregon
Alec OgletreeILBGeorgia
Tyler BrayQBTennessee
Vance McDonaldTERice
Tyler WilsonQBArkansas
Kyle JuszczykFBHarvard
Ja'Gared DavisOLBSMU

Interesting notes: E.J. Manuel was in the first group of players to visit. No CBs visited.
There is pick 41

Old
04-26-2013, 02:17 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Ffs, some of you expect Peyton Manning 2.0 to be available to draft.

The Bills liked this kid more than the others. Big deal. Maybe the guy YOU wanted will flop.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
What do you guys think of Justin Hunter? I'm thinking that's where they go. That's the kind of WR we need I think, just based on physical characteristics. Big, athletic dude.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:23 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I have an issue with this mold of QB. I prefer the traditional pocket passer to this "trending" read option nonsense. How many of these dual threat QBs have long NFL careers? Understanding that he may be coached up to improve his pocket presence, I'm very, very, very unsure as to which way I lean regarding this pick.

I like that they got their guy. The one they had atop their board. But I obviously hesitate to think they got the right one. Time will tell.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:23 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Kevin Minter is an obvious target here. I'm sure they dissected him through and through, asked Shep for some opinions on him.

Dude is on the smaller side, but was a tackling machine at LSU.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I have an issue with this mold of QB. I prefer the traditional pocket passer to this "trending" read option nonsense. How many of these dual threat QBs have long NFL careers? Understanding that he may be coached up to improve his pocket presence, I'm very, very, very unsure as to which way I lean regarding this pick.

I like that they got their guy. The one they had atop their board. But I obviously hesitate to think they got the right one. Time will tell.
IMO, if you're going to go this way you need a big sturdy one, like we got. The RG3/Russell Wilson/Vick types don't seem long for the NFL because they don't have the bulk.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:36 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
IMO, if you're going to go this way you need a big sturdy one, like we got. The RG3/Russell Wilson/Vick types don't seem long for the NFL because they don't have the bulk.
Russell Wilson doesn't run as much as Vick or RG3 (unless he is playing against the Bills). One of the major problem concerns I had with RG3 last year was durability. But Manuel looks more like Newton then any of these QBs.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Love it.

Love that some of you hate it.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Russell Wilson doesn't run as much as Vick or RG3 (unless he is playing against the Bills). One of the major problem concerns I had with RG3 last year was durability. But Manuel looks more like Newton then any of these QBs.
Vick - 6.2 rushes p/game
Wilson - 5.8 rushes p/game

Wilson was 3rd in both attempts and yards rushing.

I generally agree with you in the comparison, but I think my point still stands. Rushing that often is going to get him in the same place Vick is, and RG3 looks to be headed.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:48 PM
missingmika

Quote:

NamePOSSchool
Cooper TaylorSSRichmond
Jonathan MeeksSSClemson
Russell ShepardWRLSU
Kevin MinterILBLSU
Kenny VaccaroSTexas
Ryan SwopeWRTexas A & M
Jarvis JonesOLBGeorgia
Landry JonesQBOklahoma
Barkevious MingoOLBLSU
Justin HunterWRTennessee
Matt ScottQBArizona
Zach RogersWRTennessee
Matt BarkleyQBUSC
Dion JordanDEOregon
Alec OgletreeILBGeorgia
Tyler BrayQBTennessee
Vance McDonaldTERice
Tyler WilsonQBArkansas
Kyle JuszczykFBHarvard
Ja'Gared DavisOLBSMU

Pretty sure the Bills had Mathieu in...googling it says they scheduled a visit.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:50 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Vick - 6.2 rushes p/game
Wilson - 5.8 rushes p/game

Wilson was 3rd in both attempts and yards rushing.

I generally agree with you in the comparison, but I think my point still stands. Rushing that often is going to get him in the same place Vick is, and RG3 looks to be headed.
Oh wow I didn't realize Wilson ran 6 times a game. Normally only saw him scramble behind the line of scrimmage.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:54 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmika View Post
Pretty sure the Bills had Mathieu in...googling it says they scheduled a visit.
Where are you seeing that? I thought I remembered something along those lines but http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/0...list-up-to-11/

In either case, I think Honey Badger would be a decent get if they think he's really reformed. He could drop a lot because of those character concerns, but IMO has been trying to show teams he's changed.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:58 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Where are you seeing that? I thought I remembered something along those lines but http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/0...list-up-to-11/

In either case, I think Honey Badger would be a decent get if they think he's really reformed. He could drop a lot because of those character concerns, but IMO has been trying to show teams he's changed.
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013...hedule-a-visit

If you google Mathieu visits Bills there are multiple sites that say he did.

EDIT: Apparently he was sick and missed the Bills visit.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:07 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That's some cold, cold cynical thought there but one I've had in the last half-decade as well. When the fans stop coming because they just can't stomach paying to watch any more horrible football, it's easier to justify shifting the franchise. Is the Kelly-fronted ownership group capable of buying the team upon Ralph's demise? The current owner has not shown a particular willingness to field winning teams most of the time.
I doubt they've "intentionally" built mediocre rosters beyond an unwillingness of Ralph to spend money. Whether one considers that intentionally fielding poor teams is a matter of semantics I suppose. I just think the simplest, and most likely, explanation is that Ralph doesn't want to spend money, and that applies to the management too. That's how you end up with people like Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey running things. Furthermore, I think Ralph isn't particularly a fan of letting anyone else have too much control

I grew up with the Super Bowl teams, and I've been largely mentally checked out on this team the past five years or so. Due largely to this stretch of awfulness and also the expectation the team won't be around much longer.

That said the level of vitriol directed at this pick just doesn't make sense to me at all. Especially with the all of the bizarre assumptions and speculation about how other teams valued the guy and that the Bills should've been able to trade down just because they wanted to. I'd much rather have them reach a little to get their guy (after already trading down) than have them trade down again and have someone else swoop in and pick the guy they wanted. Just because a lot of pundits valued the quarterbacks pretty much the same doesn't mean the Bills did.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

Some men just want to watch the world burn

Old
04-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Djp

My preference would have been for Buffalo to trade down to the low 20s and pick up a 3rd from a team and still pick him there.

I know some teams also had interest in him because of the potential upside in him. He has the highest upside of any of the QBs of the draft but comes with risk.

Buffalo hadno interest in Gino---they had beaten him 3 times straight in Syracuse. they saw him and what he could/couldnt do.

They also knew the best of anyone what limitations Nassib may have had.

I see him being used as a play package in games and then if Buffalo is out of the playoffs by week 13 they give him a few starts.

I am fine with him sitting there and not being the starter until 2015.

Living in Seattle area I saw what happened with the QB situation with Russell Wilson during the preseaon. Could that happen in Buffalo---sure. Do I see it no. Too much risk. The one benefit Seattle had last year was with their schedule. They home schedule wa alot tougher, but young teams tend to play better at home. If they had a flipped schedule where they had to play at GB and and at NE so early He likely doesnt start.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Djp

Also---the wild card I was concerned about was San Fran. Manuel would be the perfect back up QB for them with them trading Smith to KC. San fran didnt have any glaring holes to fill---just depth. So they had the assets to take a shot and move up to draft him.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

The pick aside, I am very, very, very unsure any of the management teams in place in over a decade can move this franchise back to a winning path. I have nothing against the player or any preferences in who they shoulda/coulda/woulda taken, simply questioning if the people making these decisions any good at what they are doing.

And time will tell. It hurts no one to let the kid develop behind Kolb which seems pretty clearly the plan right now. If he turns out? Great. If not? All the arm-chair GM's can say that they told 'em so and we're still in year whatever of the never-ending rebuild.

04-26-2013, 03:36 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Also---the wild card I was concerned about was San Fran. Manuel would be the perfect back up QB for them with them trading Smith to KC. San fran didnt have any glaring holes to fill---just depth. So they had the assets to take a shot and move up to draft him.
A team with a 25 year old QB that just took them to the Super Bowl wouldn't spend a 2nd round pick (or trade into the first) to take another QB. That's just awful asset management. They'll be fine going with Colt McCoy as their backup. The only team who possibly would have taken Manuel is the Eagles.

The Bills found their guy, I hope to God they're right because I don't see it and didn't see it in college. I had him as the 7th best QB in this draft.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:37 PM
SoFFacet

Not really on board the Matthieu bandwagon. Even if you think he reformed, he's never been a solid cover corner. In picking him you are just hoping that his magical turnovers streak from a year ago somehow continues in the NFL.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:39 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
That said the level of vitriol directed at this pick just doesn't make sense to me at all. Especially with the all of the bizarre assumptions and speculation about how other teams valued the guy and that the Bills should've been able to trade down just because they wanted to. I'd much rather have them reach a little to get their guy (after already trading down) than have them trade down again and have someone else swoop in and pick the guy they wanted. Just because a lot of pundits valued the quarterbacks pretty much the same doesn't mean the Bills did.
It's pretty simple for me. Given that the other 31 teams chose not to take a QB in the first round, it seems pretty obvious that Manuel would have been available at 41. Especially considering the rumors that there's about to be a run on corners. We could have taken Dee Milliner (or someone else) at 8 and then gotten our "top rated" QB in the second round. Instead, for the umpteenth time in the last 15 years, we've made a massive reach to ensure we get "our guy" and almost every one has been a disappointment.

I feel like we basically pissed away a top 10 pick and that's incredibly frustrating.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:42 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
It's pretty simple for me. Given that the other 31 teams chose not to take a QB in the first round, it seems pretty obvious that Manuel would have been available at 41. Especially considering the rumors that there's about to be a run on corners. We could have taken Dee Milliner (or someone else) at 8 and then gotten our "top rated" QB in the second round. Instead, for the umpteenth time in the last 15 years, we've made a massive reach to ensure we get "our guy" and almost every one has been a disappointment.

I feel like we basically pissed away a top 10 pick and that's incredibly frustrating.
You're forgetting the 8 second Rd picks yet yo be made.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:48 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
You're forgetting the 8 second Rd picks yet yo be made.
No, I'm just fairly comfortable that the guy most people had rated somewhere between the 4th and 6th best QB in the draft wouldn't have gone before us.

And it's not like the Bills front office is infallible. They've been anything but. The risk is that another team goes way off the board and takes your guy, the reward is having a top ten pick on your roster. It's not even a debate to me.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:55 PM
JEvans14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post

So because all 31 other teams passed up on QB's in the first round, Manuel was going to be there at 41? With that logic it sounds like you're trying to say that Manuel will be the only QB taken this entire draft.....

Closed Thread