HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Training Camp

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2013, 05:17 PM
  #251
comeonnow
Registered User
 
comeonnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: arcade, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to comeonnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Kevin Minter is an obvious target here. I'm sure they dissected him through and through, asked Shep for some opinions on him.

Dude is on the smaller side, but was a tackling machine at LSU.
This please

comeonnow is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 05:25 PM
  #252
MLH
Registered User
 
MLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEvans1441 View Post
So because all 31 other teams passed up on QB's in the first round, Manuel was going to be there at 41? With that logic it sounds like you're trying to say that Manuel will be the only QB taken this entire draft.....
No, all of the teams passing on multiple quarterbacks that the vast majority of people rated higher than Manuel makes it seem obvious that the 4th-6th best QB wasn't going to go in the top 40. Obviously, this is speculation and all it takes is one team to like him, but the reward far outweighs that minimal risk. Especially because based on past history, someone stealing our reach would be a blessing in disguise.

MLH is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 05:37 PM
  #253
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,969
vCash: 500
I disagree with anyone saying the Bills should've waited. Yea, maybe you get him later and pick up another asset, but if they liked the kid and he was "their guy," there was no reason to risk missing him.

More than anything else, I'm glad the team got its pick of the QB litter. Management will have no excuses if he fails (honestly, if they didn't pick a QB and came out and said they didn't feel there was a franchise guy available, I kind of think the fan base would've accepted it), and they deserve full credit if he pans out.

The thing that worries me is that the majority of pundits didn't have him ranked as highly as the Bills did (although an intensive google search will show some less-ESPNy ones that did). That doesn't mean the Bills a wrong, though; it's simply playing the number. Most did agree, however, that he was a "blank slate," meaning he had all the NFL tools and the least to change mechanics-wise. I've also seen it mentioned that he probably has the highest ceiling of the class.

As a FSU-hater, I actually don't hate the pick. I watched him play a few times during the season and remember wondering why I hadn't heard much about him draft-wise.

As seems to happen every year, I've talked myself into the pick. I trust Nix, at least in the first round, and I won't be quick to judge just because of the surprise pick.

msm29 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 05:47 PM
  #254
SoFFacet
Registered User
 
SoFFacet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
It's pretty simple for me. Given that the other 31 teams chose not to take a QB in the first round, it seems pretty obvious that Manuel would have been available at 41. Especially considering the rumors that there's about to be a run on corners. We could have taken Dee Milliner (or someone else) at 8 and then gotten our "top rated" QB in the second round. Instead, for the umpteenth time in the last 15 years, we've made a massive reach to ensure we get "our guy" and almost every one has been a disappointment.

I feel like we basically pissed away a top 10 pick and that's incredibly frustrating.
Your hypothesis hinges on the assumptions that no team 17-32 would have selected Manuel, no other team would have traded into picks 17-32 for Manuel, and that no team in picks 33-40 would pick Manuel tonight if he were available. The fact that no other QBs were taken in picks 1-32 does not support any of these assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
No, all of the teams passing on multiple quarterbacks that the vast majority of people rated higher than Manuel makes it seem obvious that the 4th-6th best QB wasn't going to go in the top 40.
4th-6th best according to who? Pundits? If the Bills came to the conclusion that Manuel was the best QB prospect in the draft by a large margin despite pundit opinion, why is it so unlikely that another team wouldn't also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
the reward far outweighs that minimal risk. Especially because based on past history, someone stealing our reach would be a blessing in disguise.
Huge disagree. The risk was not minimal and the reward was what, Jarvis Jones instead of Kevin Minter?


Last edited by SoFFacet: 04-26-2013 at 05:58 PM.
SoFFacet is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 06:07 PM
  #255
MLH
Registered User
 
MLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Your hypothesis hinges on the assumptions that no team 17-32 would have selected Manuel, no other team would have traded into picks 17-32 for Manuel, and that no team in picks 33-40 would pick Manuel tonight if he were available. The fact that no other QBs were taken in picks 1-32 does not support any of these assumptions.
Again, fully aware. Some team could have been in love with Manuel. I grant that, that's why there is a small risk. Based on the fact that most people ranked a bunch of different QBs higher and all of those QBs are there at 33 leads me to believe there is a really strong chance that a guy no one had in the top 3 QBs would have been there at #41. I'm not sure why this is being argued. If I would have told you yesterday that I had a crystal ball and the Bills were going to take EJM at #41, most people would have considered *that* a reach. We very likely (note: not definitely) could have had Milliner and Manuel. The "why risk missing out on your guy" logic lead to us taking Losman, McCargo, Whitner, Troup, and others way higher than they were projected with disastrous results. It was a very stupid draft pick.

MLH is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 06:14 PM
  #256
MLH
Registered User
 
MLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Huge disagree. The risk was not minimal and the reward was what, Jarvis Jones instead of Kevin Minter?
No, a bluechip prospect like Milliner over Minter. Or Jarvis Jones and #46 instead of Minter. All because some other team *may* have been as stupid as the Bills. It would have been a HUGE surprise for anyone to take EJM before #41 and now we're supposed to act like it was a real possibility because the worst run team in the NFL viewed him as the best QB in the draft.

MLH is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 06:16 PM
  #257
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 141
I hope we take Mathieu and Te'o. Stedman Bailey in the 3rd would be sweet too.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 06:18 PM
  #258
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 19,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Kevin Minter is an obvious target here. I'm sure they dissected him through and through, asked Shep for some opinions on him.
That would be ironic since Minter would take his job.

I think they need a corner in this round. Although I agree there are a ton of good LBs on the board.

Takeo is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 06:22 PM
  #259
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
That would be ironic since Minter would take his job.

I think they need a corner in this round. Although I agree there are a ton of good LBs on the board.
A lot of pundits think 8-10 CBs go this round. Could see a lot of WRs, QBs, and CBs in the 2nd round.

dma0034 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 06:25 PM
  #260
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 42,556
vCash: 500
I am fully on the Hunter bandwagon. Minter is also very enticing.

My knowledge of CBs in this draft is far more limited, so I will not speculate on that.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 06:29 PM
  #261
Daz28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,038
vCash: 450
Sign Dansby to mentor Brad and Shep, we don't need to throw another green guy into the mix. We have Lawson already, too. Plus not drafting a LB high will entice Carlos more.

Grab Ertz if there, otherwise Hunter. Maybe BOTH!(we will have opportunities to grab some good players in the 2nd for sure) Then try to grab Mathieu in the 3rd, and and go OL later. A LOT of this depends on Chandlers progress. If they think he'll be ok week one, then a project TE(can't block) is a better route.

Daz28 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 06:44 PM
  #262
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
****ing Titans.... steal our guards, Qbs, safeties and now WR

dma0034 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 06:50 PM
  #263
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Wow two players I wanted gone in back to back picks.... can we please get a run on QBs going?

dma0034 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:09 PM
  #264
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 141
Dammit. I wanted Te'o.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:14 PM
  #265
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 18,071
vCash: 500
ROFL.

Medicority all but guranteed to continue in Green land POST Sanchize

Sports Enthusiast is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:15 PM
  #266
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Got to be Minter at 41.

dma0034 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:17 PM
  #267
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Keenan Allen or Robert Woods?

dma0034 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:17 PM
  #268
Taro Tsujimoto
Registered User
 
Taro Tsujimoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Clarence Center, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,926
vCash: 750
Bills take Woods per Twitter.

Taro Tsujimoto is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:18 PM
  #269
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Robert Woods it is.

dma0034 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:18 PM
  #270
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 141
Robert Woods? Woooooo!!

magic school bus is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:20 PM
  #271
sabresfan129103
So it begins...
 
sabresfan129103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 19,157
vCash: 500
Woods!!! **** yeah

sabresfan129103 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:20 PM
  #272
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 19,987
vCash: 500
Yessss!

Takeo is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:23 PM
  #273
Daz28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,038
vCash: 450
Stevie can now breathe. Woods will be getting a lot of balls. Him and Stevie will be hard to cover.

Daz28 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:25 PM
  #274
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Mit Yarrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,679
vCash: 1663

Mit Yarrum is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:27 PM
  #275
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Bills should draft Keenan too... just because it would be awesome.

Still hoping Minter falls to them though.

dma0034 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.