HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Numero Siete

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=stalockrox;63744579]
Quote:
The Sharks pipeline has greatly improved over the past few years. Yes, they are still in the bottom third of the league but the org has done a really good job drafting and in UFA signings, another strong draft in June could pretty easily move them into the middle tier.
I agree with this! I also think if a few prospects make strides (like O'Regan, Kuraly, Tarasov, and even Acolatse) like I think they can, things could look even better.

Here's some not really insider information, but a HF committee is busy working on the HF Team rankings of prospects, for fun, it would be interesting to find out where you think the Sharks are, AND where you think HF will put them.

Full Disclosure: I'm not part of the group doing this.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:38 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fischer View Post

I agree with this! I also think if a few prospects make strides (like O'Regan, Kuraly, Tarasov, and even Acolatse) like I think they can, things could look even better.

Here's some not really insider information, but a HF committee is busy working on the HF Team rankings of prospects, for fun, it would be interesting to find out where you think the Sharks are, AND where you think HF will put them.

Number 30...

Old
04-23-2013, 11:58 PM
domon

17-22?

Old
04-24-2013, 12:37 AM
hockeyball

[QUOTE=Craig Fischer;64565451]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post

It really depends how you rank them. If you rank the Sharks by trying to rank their prospect pools NHL potential by prediction, they will probably rank around 25.

If you rank the Sharks on drafting over the last 5 years or so, I'd put them around 12 (Few teams ice as many late round picks and undrafted players as we do).

If you rank them based on results with what they have to work with, I'd rank them top 10. Sharks consistently pick late 1st, or not at all, and still are able to field players like Pavelski, Demers, Braun, Irwin, Wingels, etc. Sharks draft very well with what they have to work with.

My prediction though is 25, and I find that a pretty terrible way to rank prospect pools. I guarantee you the Sharks prospects will play more NHL games than only 4 other teams prospects.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:22 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
[QUOTE63744579]

With the way HF does their rankings, I'm guessing the Sharks fall somewhere between 27-29 (but should probably be between 21-23).

Last edited by stalockrox: 04-25-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old
04-24-2013, 08:58 PM
RJQuack

Konrad won the Mooseheads "playoff fur coat" for hardest worker of the game last night.

Halifax Mooseheads ‏@HFXMooseheads 23h

The big German, Konrad Abeltshauser,takes home the fur tonight.He gets it because he played about 50 minutes #biggoal
pic.twitter.com/8R0Y8bdCsn

Old
04-25-2013, 09:14 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJQuack View Post
Konrad won the Mooseheads "playoff fur coat" for hardest worker of the game last night.

Halifax Mooseheads ‏@HFXMooseheads 23h

The big German, Konrad Abeltshauser,takes home the fur tonight.He gets it because he played about 50 minutes #biggoal
pic.twitter.com/8R0Y8bdCsn

That (fake) fur coat is fantastic, it makes me laugh every time I see the "hardest worker" wear it!!! I do wish the Q would track ice time because it does seem like KA barely leaves the ice.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
lamini

Czechs plays Fins right now, Hertl with assist on second czech goal

Old
04-25-2013, 05:44 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamini View Post
i know the games over but are there any streams for the czech games?

Old
04-25-2013, 06:39 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamini View Post
Thanks for the update! Keep em' coming!

Old
04-25-2013, 08:51 PM
stalockrox

The Mooseheads just swept their third straight series, this one vs. the Huskies, game 4 final score is 9-6 - they're heading to the finals. Abeltshauser has 4g, 8a in 12 games.

Gabriel Desjardins (who was invited to the SJ development camp) ends his junior career with a hat trick

Old
04-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Gabriel Desjardins (who was invited to the SJ development camp) ends his junior career with a hat trick
Suddenly an off-hand remark I heard recently comes to mind...while discussing Riley Brace I compared his tenacity to Andrew Desjardins, calling him "Desjardins" as I almost always refer to players by just their last names. The person I was speaking with mentioned that we'll have ample opportunity to compare the two of the next season.

Now I presumed he was referring to comparing Brace and Andrew Desjardins, the person I was speaking of, but now I'm wondering if he thought I was talking about Gabriel Desjardins.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:35 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Suddenly an off-hand remark I heard recently comes to mind...while discussing Riley Brace I compared his tenacity to Andrew Desjardins, calling him "Desjardins" as I almost always refer to players by just their last names. The person I was speaking with mentioned that we'll have ample opportunity to compare the two of the next season.

Now I presumed he was referring to comparing Brace and Andrew Desjardins, the person I was speaking of, but now I'm wondering if he thought I was talking about Gabriel Desjardins.
He had a breakout year and was great in the playoffs so I wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks are still interested in him and maybe want to take a longer look. He's one of those players that, if he's signed, I would hope it's to an AHL deal as he still has quite a bit to prove.

On the other hand, maybe whoever you were talking to thinks Brace will make the NHL next year

Or it's likely that it's what you assumed it was in the first place.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:12 AM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
With the way HF does their rankings, I'm guessing the Sharks fall somewhere between 27-29 (but should probably be between 21-23).
You and domon are on fire.

Personally I think the Sharks could realistically be higher, but I think there's some bias in that I watch a lot of the these players now and see magic in guys like Reid.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
You and domon are on fire.

Personally I think the Sharks could realistically be higher, but I think there's some bias in that I watch a lot of the these players now and see magic in guys like Reid.
I agree with you and thanks for the nice comments in the other thread about me. I still watch all the Sharks prospects on a regular basis. I was on the Team Rankings committee and I see the Sharks in the 17-22 area, as the difference between the teams in those positions for this spring rankings are really a hair one way or another. There was a lot of switching going on right up until the final draft for most of the middle section 12-25. For SJ, it's probably more due to the many high risk to reward picks which SJ is very good at by the way and that Hertl is an unknown to a lot of people due to him playing in the Czech. He's going to surprise people with his power game and skills once he comes to N.A just look how he performed against the elite juniors at the WJC the last two years.. Too many people think his skating is a problem because it has an ackward stride push but it's very effective in getting to the puck on the big European ice surface so the N.A surface will just make it even easier for him to get to pucks much quicker. His stride can easily be corrected with simple coaching to increase acceleration and stride techniques but you can't teach his other skills and hockey IQ. His skating is typical Czech style just, Jagr, Plekanac, Straka, the Stastny brothers (Quebec Nordiques). It's built for balance, power and puck protection. I am not saying he's going to be Jagr in the NHL but he has a more physical puck protection style similar to Jagr. Maybe he's better or never reaches those heights but as he fills out his big frame more then he could be a very difficult player for any NHL defenseman to handle along the boards, in the corners or in front of the net.

Last comment is towards the Sharks' defense prospects. Players like Petrecki, Taylor, Abeltshauser will be solid NHLers with the guidance of Larry Robinson. He knows how to make the big defensemen much better players. He remembers what it was like to be an awkwardly tall defender starting out in the NHL and will mentor these big guys very well for the Sharks. If for some reason Petrecki isn't re-signed by SJ then I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canadiens attempt to sign him as a possible seventh or sixth defenseman. They need his nastiness and size in their blue line group.

Just my opinions and good luck in the Stanley Cup playoffs!

Old
04-26-2013, 01:28 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
I agree with you and thanks for the nice comments in the other thread about me. I still watch all the Sharks prospects on a regular basis. I was on the Team Rankings committee and I see the Sharks in the 17-22 area, as the difference between the teams in those positions for this spring rankings are really a hair one way or another. There was a lot of switching going on right up until the final draft for most of the middle section 12-25. For SJ, it's probably more due to the many high risk to reward picks which SJ is very good at by the way and that Hertl is an unknown to a lot of people due to him playing in the Czech. He's going to surprise people with his power game and skills once he comes to N.A just look how he performed against the elite juniors at the WJC the last two years.. Too many people think his skating is a problem because it has an ackward stride push but it's very effective in getting to the puck on the big European ice surface so the N.A surface will just make it even easier for him to get to pucks much quicker. His stride can easily be corrected with simple coaching to increase acceleration and stride techniques but you can't teach his other skills and hockey IQ. His skating is typical Czech style just, Jagr, Plekanac, Straka, the Stastny brothers (Quebec Nordiques). It's built for balance, power and puck protection. I am not saying he's going to be Jagr in the NHL but he has a more physical puck protection style similar to Jagr. Maybe he's better or never reaches those heights but as he fills out his big frame more then he could be a very difficult player for any NHL defenseman to handle along the boards, in the corners or in front of the net.

Last comment is towards the Sharks' defense prospects. Players like Petrecki, Taylor, Abeltshauser will be solid NHLers with the guidance of Larry Robinson. He knows how to make the big defensemen much better players. He remembers what it was like to be an awkwardly tall defender starting out in the NHL and will mentor these big guys very well for the Sharks. If for some reason Petrecki isn't re-signed by SJ then I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canadiens attempt to sign him as a possible seventh or sixth defenseman. They need his nastiness and size in their blue line group.

Just my opinions and good luck in the Stanley Cup playoffs!
I agree with pretty much everything you posted. I think Hertl will surprise a lot of people with his play when he makes the jump to NA.

Robinson has already been a good influence on Petrecki & Doherty and it was easy to see in the way they played this season. The lockout benefitted the two Worcester d-men quite a bit.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:25 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

David, you think Hertl has legit 1C potential? Like, Anze li

Old
04-26-2013, 06:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Dude, Anze Kopitar is an elite #1C who combines skating, size, puck protection, vision, shooting, passing, hands, smarts, elite defensive play to be one of the top-5 centers in the world. He's not going to be anywhere close to Anze Kopitar.

Personally, I see Hertl as a winger. Just my opinion. I think having a playmaking power-winger would make him a very, very unique player.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Dude, Anze Kopitar is an elite #1C who combines skating, size, puck protection, vision, shooting, passing, hands, smarts, elite defensive play to be one of the top-5 centers in the world. He's not going to be anywhere close to Anze Kopitar.

Personally, I see Hertl as a winger. Just my opinion. I think having a playmaking power-winger would make him a very, very unique player.
Me too. Hes got contact courage (heard Jim Harbaugh use that term and I like it) and fearlessness but also soft hands and vision. Hes a solid prospect.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:

Uh...Jumbo Joe lite brah

Old
04-26-2013, 09:04 PM
stalockrox

The Knights just beat the Whalers 5-4 in OT (Tierney had the primary on the GWG and 3A in the game) in game 5 to take the series 4-1. They're off to the OHL finals.
Tierney has 5g, 13a in 12 games.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
No, I don't think he has legit 1C potential.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:25 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
The Knights just beat the Whalers 5-4 in OT (Tierney had the primary on the GWG and 3A in the game) in game 5 to take the series 4-1. They're off to the OHL finals.
Tierney has 5g, 13a in 12 games.
Sounds like he's getting more ice time, better linemates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
No, I don't think he has legit 1C potential.
I thought you reserved judgement on players who you don't watch play?

Old
04-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
I thought you reserved judgement on players who you don't watch play?
Who says I've watched him play?

Old
04-26-2013, 09:27 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Who says I've watched him play?
Nobody. I was insinuating the opposite.

Closed Thread