HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Derek Stepan Version 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 09:16 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Derek Stepan, outscoring Rick Nash.

As soon as he gets an "A", Imma get that jersey
I'm just gonna hold out for the "C"

Old
04-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

He is the best part of this season bar-none.

04-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Team MVP!! That's I have to say about that.........
What does Lundqvist have to do with this thread?

Old
04-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Stepan has 38 points in the last 36 games, which is on pace for 87 points over 82 games.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
What does Lundqvist have to do with this thread?
More impressed by Stepan this season than Lundqvist. Hank's standards are pretty high though so....

Old
04-25-2013, 11:48 PM
haveandare

Absolutely incredible season from him so far. He might end up being that 1C this team has made so many terrible, terrible moves trying to get.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:09 AM
Affinity

Stepan has steadily improved each season so far, if he continues this trend, which he should since he is still young, he will be absolutely amazing to watch next season. I hope he works on his face-offs. Get that over 50-55% and he'll be a very great two way 1C. Bergeron-lite. Don't want to get too ahead of myself here he's just been a very exciting player to follow this season, probably the brightest spot of the season has been his development.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:09 AM
Lundsanity30

He's turning into a legit #1c, no question.

Old
04-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Stepan has steadily improved each season so far, if he continues this trend, which he should since he is still young, he will be absolutely amazing to watch next season. I hope he works on his face-offs. Get that over 50-55% and he'll be a very great two way 1C. Bergeron-lite. Don't want to get too ahead of myself here he's just been a very exciting player to follow this season, probably the brightest spot of the season has been his development.
Patrice Bergeron is one of my favourite players in the league, and is generally underrated around the league IMO. But calling Stepan Bergeron-lite is an understatement IMO, the only area where Bergeron has had a clear advantage this year is in the faceoff dot.

Stepan is only 22, and it is not unlikely that he will end up a better player than Bergeron.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:03 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
It's really nice to see him taking the next step in development. He's really a guy that has exceeded reasonable expectations.

It's just pain.
Old
04-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Stepanformayor*

Gagline how can you say he has no leverage? If leading you team in scoring, 6th in the NHL in plus minus, top 25 in scoring, top 15 in TOI for forwards, kills every penalty, plays on every power play, and the Rangers have nothing in the pipline to replace Stepan. If we don't get this done before next year's training camp we go with Brass as your number 1 center, Richards number 2 and Boyle your number 3 center. I would say Stepan has leverage. If you don't think these are leverage points i guess conversation over.

If you think Stepan's agent cares that Sather only signs 2 year bridge contracts, believe they don't. The fact that he signed all those other guys to only bridge contracts does not matter either. Stepan is so much better than any of the guys you mentioned it's funny. I would argue the fact that Sather does not extend guys that he may of lost his leverage on Stepan. If he extends him 2 months ago (like most teams do) it would not have cost of as much as it's going to.

The fact that they may not have cap room for Stepan is not his problem. If they want to sign him they will make it work. Stepan has 100% done his part in the process. It is time for the Rangers to step up to the plate and do the right thing with a young home grown talent.

It would not surprise me one bit if this things goes far into the summer next year. This is a very critical signing for this team, and I hope they get it right. It would not surprise me one bit if Stepan is a hold out next year. I hope not but it could happen.

Let me ask you a simple question. What is Stepan worth to you and how long of a contract would you give him? In my opinion he gets 4 years 4-4.5 a year. If not more!!

Old
04-26-2013, 11:19 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Gagline how can you say he has no leverage? If leading you team in scoring, 6th in the NHL in plus minus, top 25 in scoring, top 15 in TOI for forwards, kills every penalty, plays on every power play, and the Rangers have nothing in the pipline to replace Stepan. If we don't get this done before next year's training camp we go with Brass as your number 1 center, Richards number 2 and Boyle your number 3 center. I would say Stepan has leverage. If you don't think these are leverage points i guess conversation over.

If you think Stepan's agent cares that Sather only signs 2 year bridge contracts, believe they don't. The fact that he signed all those other guys to only bridge contracts does not matter either. Stepan is so much better than any of the guys you mentioned it's funny. I would argue the fact that Sather does not extend guys that he may of lost his leverage on Stepan. If he extends him 2 months ago (like most teams do) it would not have cost of as much as it's going to.

The fact that they may not have cap room for Stepan is not his problem. If they want to sign him they will make it work. Stepan has 100% done his part in the process. It is time for the Rangers to step up to the plate and do the right thing with a young home grown talent.

It would not surprise me one bit if this things goes far into the summer next year. This is a very critical signing for this team, and I hope they get it right. It would not surprise me one bit if Stepan is a hold out next year. I hope not but it could happen.

Let me ask you a simple question. What is Stepan worth to you and how long of a contract would you give him? In my opinion he gets 4 years 4-4.5 a year. If not more!!
In a very literal sense, he doesn't have much leverage because he's an RFA who isn't eligible for arbitration. All of the things you're talking about don't change his status in the contract system. He can't take offers from other teams, he can't get a third party to establish his worth "objectively," therefore he doesn't have much leverage.

Also, again, he's been in beast mode for 40+ games and that's awesome, but that's not the kind of sample size that you give away millions of extra dollars and years out for. I'm as excited by his progression as anyone, but let's be real, he's been on this pace for about half of a regular season so far. Homegrown players can get bad contracts too.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:56 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
First, it has nothing to do with what you or I think he's worth. Hockey is a business and his signing will be treated as such. The CBA gives Sather the leverage in this negotiation and he will use it.

Second, he absolutely won't get a 4 year deal. 4 years will take him right to the start of Group III free agency. Sather never gives out contracts like that. Most GMs don't. The contract will either end while Stepan is still an RFA, or it will buy 1 or more UFA years.

So lets add a year and make it 5 x 4.5 mil. Does that sound fair to you? Okay, now let's look at how that contract will be structured.

Year 1: 3 mil
Year 2: 3.75 mil
Year 3: 4.5 mil
Year 4: 5.25 mil
Year 5: 6 mil

Sather normally backloads RFA contracts. UFA years (year 5) cost more than arbitration years (years 2, 3 and 4). Arbitration years cost more than non-arbitration years (year 1). Look at the contracts Sather has given to RFAs. Most of them are backloaded.

Do you think that contract is fair?

Now imagine that Sather won't give him a five year deal. Instead he'll only give him 2 years.

Year 1: 3 mil
Year 2: 3.75 mil

Stepan still gets the same exact money he would have gotten, but his cap hit is lower.

It isn't a matter of how much money Sather will offer him. It's a matter of how many years. That is the driving force behind the cap hit. And because he needs to keep his cap hit low, he will offer him less years.

All the stats do is drive up the starting point, but that starting point isn't going to be 4 mil. It will very likely be under 3 mil.

Look at what Giroux got. He put up 76 points in 82 games. He got a 3 year deal:

Year 1: 2.75 mil
Year 2: 3.5 mil
Year 3: 5 mil

Stepan has 42 points in 47 games. You can prorate that if you want, but Sather won't. If Stepan gets the same contract, but for only 2 years, that will be a cap hit of 3.125 mil.

So now let me ask you a question. Given what Giroux got, and given the types of contracts Sather usually gives out, and given the need to keep the cap hit low, and given that Stepan has no leverage unless he signs an offer sheet, what makes you think that Sather will give him a long term deal?

Old
04-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Stepanformayor*

Stepan should fire his agent if he gets 2.75 two year deal. Not going to happen!!

Old
04-26-2013, 06:02 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Silly questions from an outsider...

Who's line does Stepan play on?

Old
04-26-2013, 06:03 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post

Right now he's between Hagelin and Callahan

Old
04-26-2013, 06:09 PM
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post

Depends.

He's mainly been with an assortment of Nash, Callahan, and Hagelin this season. Right now, he's playing with Hagelin and Callahan. The other ones that lasted more than 2 games:

Nash-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Nash

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
04-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Stepan should fire his agent if he gets 2.75 two year deal. Not going to happen!!
Hope he gives us a team friendly deal.

But with O'Reilly, he can ask for 6m if exploring offersheet route.

#1Cs are the toughest commodity to get in the NHL. So many teams will do anything to desperately lay their hands on one who is only 22.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:45 PM
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Hope he gives us a team friendly deal.

But with O'Reilly, he can ask for 6m if exploring offersheet route.

#1Cs are the toughest commodity to get in the NHL. So many teams will do anything to desperately lay their hands on one who is only 22.
Especially one who is a great three-zone player and right handed.

I'd be fine with something like 5x5, but GAGLine proved why the 2 year deal is the most realistic. The Claude Giroux deal is a good comparable.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
He's RFA coming off an ELC. As long as he doesn't take the ******* route a la ROR, he'll have something close to that

Old
04-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Stepanformayor*

There is no way he signs that!! Not a chance!! He would be a fool!! There is no way his agents let him sign that!!

Old
04-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I think we found out Stepan's mom/agent is on HFBoards.

But yeah, a sub 3 mil contract is an absolute joke.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:18 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

I get being a big fan of certain people, but that's just pushin it. Why so concerned with his contract?

Old
04-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Stepanformayor*

I wish I was his mom!! If I was his agent I would be on vacation somewhere right now.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Zil

Quote:
I wish I was his mom!! If I was his agent I would be on vacation somewhere right now.
I think you've gone past fanboy-ism to some kind of performance art at this point. Either that or stalking.

Closed Thread