HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion) - Offseason FA and trade talk Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
Please no Harrold. If Lou resigns him the kids will never get a chance.
I'm guessing what you inferring is that DeBoer will not use Harrold as a 7th D if resigned, and will probably play him over the kids.

I can understand that, but to me, having a guy like Harrold is a perfect 7th D. He's a guy that can step in and play PK, PP, and give you some mobility, and if needed, he can slot in on the wing as well. If DeBoer used him more as a 7th D, then yes, I would like him back, but I do kind of agree with you here. If DeBoer is playing him over Fayne and Larsson at times, it's probably best to not keep him around to prevent that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
This, except not as mean to Janssen. He's a cool guy to have in the locker room. But yeah, he's gotta go.
He's a cool guy to have in the locker room....if you don't have Barch.

Like I've said plenty of times, I don't mind keeping Janssen around. The problem comes when we have Janssen AND Barch or Janssen AND Boulton. That's just stupid and an absolute waste of your two extra roster spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Bleed likes him, and I kind of do too. If it was cheap I'd be ok with bringing him back, more so if Clarkson walks. Easy hole to fill for the beginning of the season and Lou can move to replace him with Dags or someone else as the season goes on if needed. Doesn't really hurt or help our biggest near which is another top 6 forward.
I really like the way he is clicking with Zubrus and Josefson. I could see Lou resigning him to roll him on the third line, with top six spot duty.

I wouldn't mind Sullivan on a one-year deal in the same situation he's used now. He can be an in-and-out of the lineup guy that you can plug in for some offensive ability. He's not the speedy player he once was, but he is still an offensive player. We don't have much of those.

I wouldn't mind him if we don't bring back Clarkson and/or D'Agostini. If we decide to resign both, then there isn't a spot for Sullivan.

Last edited by Semak: 04-26-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old
04-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I really like the way he is clicking with Zubrus and Josefson. I could see Lou resigning him to roll him on the third line, with top six spot duty.

I wouldn't mind Sullivan on a one-year deal in the same situation he's used now. He can be an in-and-out of the lineup guy that you can plug in for some offensive ability. He's not the speedy player he once was, but he is still an offensive player. We don't have much of those.

I wouldn't mind him if we don't bring back Clarkson and/or D'Agostini. If we decide to resign both, then there isn't a spot for Sullivan.
Ya my thinking is if Clarkson is gone I don't mind a one year deal for Sully. If it is a bust it isn't the end of the world and it is a lot easier to find someone to slot there as opposed to the top 6.

Also with Harrold ya I think that is what people are inferring. Either one of the new kids, or Larsson/Fayne might see long bench times for him when they shouldn't.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Ya my thinking is if Clarkson is gone I don't mind a one year deal for Sully. If it is a bust it isn't the end of the world and it is a lot easier to find someone to slot there as opposed to the top 6.

Also with Harrold ya I think that is what people are inferring. Either one of the new kids, or Larsson/Fayne might see long bench times for him when they shouldn't.
It's sad because I love Harrold. But I understand that logic. He's a hell of a depth defenseman, and he fits like a glove in this system. You can really tell by the way he plays he's comfortable and playing his game, Taormina looked the same way when he played for us in DeBoer's system.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Ugh, this Janssen crap again. Please, lord, no. Can we reserve our contract offers to actual hockey players? If his best asset is being "a great locker room guy", can't we just hire him as like the equipment guy or janitor or something and save the roster spot?

Old
04-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
It's sad because I love Harrold. But I understand that logic. He's a hell of a depth defenseman, and he fits like a glove in this system. You can really tell by the way he plays he's comfortable and playing his game, Taormina looked the same way when he played for us in DeBoer's system.
Frankly, I want to keep Harrold as the #7. He has no business playing in the top-6, but we also shouldn't be putting a kid in the #7 role and not playing them every night.

The kids need to get a chance - but not in the #7 role. We need a defenseman on the roster who's a vet but who doesn't expect to play every night. It's the Salvadors/Volchenkovs/Tallinders/Zidlickys who need to move on.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:48 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Janssen played like three games this year, maybe ten minutes total. I doubt he's back. They are going to get another goon though, it wouldn't be a Devils offseason without one.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

I'd prefer to see Barch over Janssen.

Barch was a decently skilled hockey player at one time, believe it or not. Something like a 0.72PPG player until he played for Dallas. Dallas asked him to be an enforcer (cause he's incredibly strong, although you'd never know), and ruined his game.

Basically, if he was allowed, he would be like a Carter or Gio, but much bigger.

Barch also has hockey sense, unlike Janssen.

Besides, guy is humble and funny as hell. And bro0taly honest.

And, no one wants to re-sign D'aggo?

Old
04-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
Please no Harrold. If Lou resigns him the kids will never get a chance.
Agreed. For the same reason, I want Volchenkov amnestied and Zidlicky allowed to walk. That creates two spots on the defence.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:07 PM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

Am I the only won who wants to keep Volch? Sure he had a bad year, but I'd take him over Sal or Talli.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Nick0930

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZajacsShakes View Post
Am I the only won who wants to keep Volch? Sure he had a bad year, but I'd take him over Sal or Talli.
Not at his cap hit.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I would rather trade Tallinder, and keep Zidlicky. We need Zidlicky more than Tallinder. And yes amnesty Volchenkov please.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:13 PM
CerebralGenesis

do not want volchenkov in any way next year

Old
04-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Not at his cap hit.
His cap hit doesn't matter if the Devils don't spend up to the cap. His real dollars only matter for the difference between his buyout and the salary you replace his position with.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Devils1029

We will keep Zidlicky, 1 year, same salary. We need him on the PP and none of the young guys can step in and replace him. Gelinas has a cannon shot but he's no where ready to take on Zidlicky's responsibilities. I think Gelinas or perhaps Merrill gets Peter Harrold's roster slot. I also doubt we amnesty anyone but if we do it could be volch. I rather see a possible deal of Tallinder for a pick.

Barch will likely get bought out but with 1 year left, it would not be an amnesty one unless we don;t amnesty anyone else. He wants outs so cut biat and run.

Next year's D.....Greene, Larsson, Slug-a-dor, Fayne, Zidlicky, Gelinas/Merrill, A-Train or Tally.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:27 PM
engy

vCash: 344
No Zids, don't bring him back. He's just not that good for what he is supposed to bring.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:36 PM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
Barch will likely get bought out but with 1 year left, it would not be an amnesty one unless we don;t amnesty anyone else. He wants outs so cut biat and run.
What? Link, please.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
do not want volchenkov in any way next year
Liar.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

What makes people think Barch wants out? I bet he's in the lineup tomorrow where Kosto was last game, though he shouldn't be if Bernier is scratched.

Was it said Bernier had a nagging injury or no? I know it was said that Fayne did.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:13 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Frankly, I want to keep Harrold as the #7. He has no business playing in the top-6, but we also shouldn't be putting a kid in the #7 role and not playing them every night.

The kids need to get a chance - but not in the #7 role. We need a defenseman on the roster who's a vet but who doesn't expect to play every night. It's the Salvadors/Volchenkovs/Tallinders/Zidlickys who need to move on.
I agree with this sentiment about Harrold. If Pete will keep him in the damn press box unless needed I'd gladly take him back. I just hope Pete/Lou use the 7th spot like this, and not how they used the 8th spot this year (basically a parking spot for Fayne/Larsson). Fayne and Larsson have no business spending extended periods of time in the press box healthy next year.

I'm with the others that I'd prefer Zids back. We really don't have any other defenseman yet that can move the puck as well as him, and our already bad PP will take more steps backwards. We definitely have prospects that can replace him(Gelinas then Merrill), but they aren't ready to take that role next year.

Ideally Tally and Volch need to go, prefer both to be traded, but a Tally trade and Volch buyout is fine by me too.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Devils Unseen Hand

Barch needs to go, period. Crappy fighter. Brings no energy like Janssen. However, Janssen should be a 2-way Contract with Albany.

Again, if they feel Clarkson will leave, we need to draft Tyrell Goulbourne. He can score & fight.

Here's all you need to know...

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/115717

Old
04-27-2013, 08:00 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
UFA - Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson, Ponikarovsky, Sullivan, Kostopolous, Zidlicky, Harrold
RFA - Henrique, Loiktionov, Josefson, D'Agostini

More speculation on who stays and who goes...
RFAs are easier: Henrique, Loktionov, Josefson.
UFAs F: Elias (a little less than 6M solely on age), Zubrus (2.5M max), Clarkson (4-4.5M) the others can go
UFAs D: Zidlicky (3-3.5M), Harrold (800K)

My non-choices:
Poni and Kostopolous are pretty easy to get rid of, Sullivan may be resigned on a cheap but at his age Id almost rather bring up someone. I don't have any issues with D'Agostini but I don't see him as a priority for the big club.

On defense, I picked them both and I don't see Tallinder being bought out since it will be his final year. Volchenkov is the likelier target. Although Gelinas certainly showed some promise in the game Thursday, we know what we get from Harrold, so he would be a perfect guy to slot in when needed. Although there are the likes of Merrill and Severson down in Albany, they should get a full season under their belts playing as much hockey as possible, especially Merrill.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Moe Syzlak

Lou needs to stop signing goons to two year contracts. That would be a good start to the off-season.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Marty laying down the law:

Quote:
“That’s the beauty of having his job,” Brodeur said today. “He’s (Lou) the one that makes all the decisions and gets that puzzle together. So, it’s kind of interesting. I’ll be watching it, trust me, closely. But I don’t think I’m going to have any say in it.”

“There’s always a risk because we don’t have the checkbook to figure that out,” Brodeur said. “I’m sure if any of us had the checkbook, you want to make sure you get in the playoffs. This organization will make decisions for the way they want to run the team. But, for me, I didn’t stay here not to challenge to make the playoffs and not to be able to compete, so I expect fully that Lou’s going to go out and make this team as good or better than what we have now.”

Brodeur has always understood the business side of the sport, so when some of his teammates have left via free agency, he’s never been overly concerned by that. But, after seeing Zach Parise leave last summer for Minnesota and never be replaced, Brodeur admits he’s “a little bit” more concerned this year about what’s going to happen with Elias, Zubrus and Clarkson.

“Definitely these guys are a big core of our team, guys that like to play here,” Brodeur said. “All three of them expressed that feeling that they want to stay, they want to play here. But, again, depending on what the market allows them to do, that’s where we’re going to get our answers.”

Old
04-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Syzlak View Post
Lou needs to stop signing goons to two year contracts. That would be a good start to the off-season.
No kidding. I will laugh if Barch gets bought out only for Lou to turn around and sign another goon.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:12 AM
VaxjoDevil

Am I the only one who really wishes that we keep Zidlicky?

Closed Thread