HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Supernatural season 8

Old
04-10-2013, 03:15 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
If you should go and see ad docotor. You might need glasses.

- Sam gets sucked in to hell
- Sam is now at some prison/corridor
- Sam walks 30-50 meters
- Sam opens a gate
- VOILA. Its Bobby.

And this all happens between 16:00 and 17:55 in the episode.

EXTREMLY poor writing.
I agree. that was lame. I think they almost should have had it as a two part episode. One part in hell...the other part in purgatory.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Quote:
If you should go and see ad docotor. You might need glasses.

- Sam gets sucked in to hell
- Sam is now at some prison/corridor
- Sam walks 30-50 meters
- Sam opens a gate
- VOILA. Its Bobby.

And this all happens between 16:00 and 17:55 in the episode.

EXTREMLY poor writing.
Well, it is a tv show that doesn't have an extraordinarily large budget...and at the end of the day, what's the big deal? It's a mechanism that moves the plot along.

It's not poor writing, it's about getting the story to fit into one episode.

Anyways, solid episode and solid season thus far.

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:52 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Well, it is a tv show that doesn't have an extraordinarily large budget...and at the end of the day, what's the big deal? It's a mechanism that moves the plot along.

Ho much is the budget? They've had a strong enough following to have 8 seasons, four of which have been fairly sub par...how low could the budget be?

It is kind of poor writing tbh. they could have stretched it to another episode instead of having one of the pointless filler ones.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 500
Quote:

A budget does not effect the quality of writing, your argument is bad. They could easily have explored this alot further by dividing this into two episodes, were we follow sam through hell as he learns, see and discover other intresting stuff for atleast 30 min of screen time. This would have made the episode(s) better, by far more intresting and we would have had less fillers. They also had some potential to continue on the storyline with their dad here, which would have been super.

Supernatural has a good budget, thats why there is 8 seasons, and will be a 9th. The budget has become worse tho, and that is becuse of the writing. The writing has been really poor the last couple of seasons, which is why the show gets less views. It's very simple. This season is a good example of why.
The episodes has no consistency, and follows a bad pattern that goes like; Main story, filler, filler, filler, main story, filler, filler and main story etc. That is not a good formula, even if the fillers are fun sometimes.

When i wrote that they should do it like Joss Whedon did with Buffy after season 3, I mean that they should write the show in a way that fillers almost completly dissepears from the show, by making each and every episode add in some kind of way. Supernatural still has A LOT of potential to explore, the writers should with no problems be able to write an entire season with no "fillers". Even i can imagine and come up with several ideas and storylines that could last through 20 episodes.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:16 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

Quote:
A budget does not effect the quality of writing, your argument is bad. They could easily have explored this alot further by dividing this into two episodes, were we follow sam through hell as he learns, see and discover other intresting stuff for atleast 30 min of screen time. This would have made the episode(s) better, by far more intresting and we would have had less fillers. They also had some potential to continue on the storyline with their dad here, which would have been super.

Supernatural has a good budget, thats why there is 8 seasons, and will be a 9th. The budget has become worse tho, and that is becuse of the writing. The writing has been really poor the last couple of seasons, which is why the show gets less views. It's very simple. This season is a good example of why.
The episodes has no consistency, and follows a bad pattern that goes like; Main story, filler, filler, filler, main story, filler, filler and main story etc. That is not a good formula, even if the fillers are fun sometimes.

When i wrote that they should do it like Joss Whedon did with Buffy after season 3, I mean that they should write the show in a way that fillers almost completly dissepears from the show, by making each and every episode add in some kind of way. Supernatural still has A LOT of potential to explore, the writers should with no problems be able to write an entire season with no "fillers". Even i can imagine and come up with several ideas and storylines that could last through 20 episodes.
first of all...thank you. I have been saying that exact same point about supernatural for a long time, and have been met with a lot of resistance in that. Joss Whedon really set the standard for these types of shows, and Supernatural could have done worse then emulating him.

also the father? How so? He went back to heaven in All Hell Breaks loose.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Ho much is the budget? They've had a strong enough following to have 8 seasons, four of which have been fairly sub par...how low could the budget be?

It is kind of poor writing tbh. they could have stretched it to another episode instead of having one of the pointless filler ones.
Quote:
Per episode cost runs at approximately $2 million to $2.2 million an episode. While Supernatural does get tax breaks for filming in Vancouver, just like in 2009 the strong Canadian dollar against the US dollar has all but wiped out any savings with exchange rates.

http://www.thewinchesterfamilybusine...part-deux.html
Adding more CGI and fancy sets, and all the labour costs, will drive the cost up enormously.

So again, if they write that Sam gets transported to hell, and just happens to get 'near' where Bobby is....honestly, so what? Does the lack of a fancy CGI type transport scene, or some CGI version of hell where it's something out of LOTR really going to move the story line forward? I mean, if you're a fan of the show because of its awesome graphics in previous seasons, then I gotta ask what you've been smokin', cause i'd love a hit of that.

Stretching out episodes may work for you, but it may not work for the show. Again, even big budget shows like Game of Thrones, cuts scenes or does little things to save money and work within their budget, which is vastly great than $2.2m per episode.....so when I see these kinds of complaints, it just irks me. The writing's fine. It won't win any awards, but it does the trick and keeps the show moving at an enjoyable pace, that allows us to be distracted for an hour or so at 9pm at night.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:

So money doesn't affect a show's writing?? Wow.

So, we should expect one writer receiving minimum wage to turn out the next literary masterpiece on a low budget show?

Your argument is inane.

Supernatural has always been about supplementing the main story arc with stand alone episodes. Have you just recently begun watching the show or something?

Again, there's plenty of things I agree with when it comes to what story lines are available...but availability doesn't always necessarily translate into doability. There are always real life restriction on what a show with its per episode budget like the one Supernatural currently has, on a network like CW, can and cannot realistically do, or afford.

Money doesn't grow on trees.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:23 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 270
Quote:

a budget does affect the quality of writing because if they have the budget for special affects that writers can write some scenes that explain more. Supernatural is not shakespeare and never claims to be, but their budget affects how creative the writers and directors can be with their creativity

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:03 AM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
a budget does affect the quality of writing because if they have the budget for special affects that writers can write some scenes that explain more. Supernatural is not shakespeare and never claims to be, but their budget affects how creative the writers and directors can be with their creativity
How creative they can be with their...creativity?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a low budget show. I love how they do an over top view during car chase scenes....its hilarious...but it was still well written and creative.

I see no reason why it shouldn't be now. that being said...supernatural used to be well written and have great depth in the characters, you know where you actually bought their dialogue instead of doing the same stereotypical Sam and Dean thing episode after episode after episode.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:17 AM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

Quote:
So money doesn't affect a show's writing?? Wow.

So, we should expect one writer receiving minimum wage to turn out the next literary masterpiece on a low budget show?

Your argument is inane.

Supernatural has always been about supplementing the main story arc with stand alone episodes. Have you just recently begun watching the show or something?

Again, there's plenty of things I agree with when it comes to what story lines are available...but availability doesn't always necessarily translate into doability. There are always real life restriction on what a show with its per episode budget like the one Supernatural currently has, on a network like CW, can and cannot realistically do, or afford.

Money doesn't grow on trees.
And its an idea that does not work very well.

in the case of this episode, they could have dropped one of the pointless filler episodes that are bound to follow and actually made this a two part episode. It seems to me that task number two when it involved bringing bobby back is pretty important. They definitely could have spent more time on it.

when there is a main story line like the end of the mother ****ing world, it seems rather dumb to have the two brothers working normal cases, when the end of the world is staring them in the face. this season has been a lot better, but it still is something that has happened all the time with this show.

Case in point, Season four. Its been awhile since I watched this so bear with me, but Lilith had to break 66 seals right? How many were actually on the show? 2? The ghosts(witnesses) and Samhein. Doesn't see to make any sense. Season five...Lucifer rises...uh ok. Lets just act like he hasn't until the final five episodes, but mention it all along the way and proceed to say...well...we cant do anything about it...except have the odd episode where your being told to say yes to Michael and Lucifer so you can duke it out gangnam style. Season 6...not gonna lie...i don't really remember what this one was about. something to do with Sam not having a soul...and the Campbells and Alpha's and the mother of all monsters, I seem to remember that there was a giant civil war going on too between Castiel and Raphael...but that was kind of ignored too. They found a couple of angelic weapons, one I believe...and that was that.

Season 7 was Leviathan. This was the most ridiculous season for this...what are we going to do about the Leviathan today? Well...Bobby hasn't gotten back to us with how to kill them and we haven't heard back from that Tech guy...so nothing. On with the show.

You see what I'm saying? I get that this show is a fantasy...but the way its been written, it is unbelievable at the same time.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Everlasting

Money and CGI effects does not effect quality of writing, the same way you dont need a Micheal Bay budget to make a killer movie. It all comes down to creativity. And creativity is not a synonym for CGI effects and money. There are so many shows out there who has put out extraordinary writing with a budget even smaller then Supernatural, thats it's stupid to even bother naming them all. Lets take one example, BUFFY. Buffy is a masterpiece and of the greatest shows ever made, if not the greatest. The writers did not have even half of the technology that Supernatural has, yet they wrote TV history, episode after episode. Episodes which is still relevant today.

A writer does not knowingly turn in worse material then he or she can, becuse she or he does not get paid alot, the same way muscians does not write poor music becuse they dont get paid alot. How the hell do you think these people will get a raise? Bonuses? More money? By working bad? No, offcourse not. If they did, they would have been fired. A writer always writers the best possible episode. You dont work as a writer if you dont have a passion for it, and if do you have a passion for it, you do not work willingly bad. Otherwise you might have problem getting more jobs.

You do not have enough budget to make a CGI fest? Then you just write a damn episode about hell which does not require CGI. Like when they went to heaven. Why does hell have to be a huge CGI effect? Dont have the money? BE CREATIVE.

Stretching out that episode would have been perfect for the show. We would not just have more story to see, we would have had less fillers, this is only positive for the show. You do realize that almost all the demons they have killed is in hell? That the most powerfull deamons are in hell? Some of their friends are in hell? Their dad might be in hell? This was a huge moment for Supernatural, with tons of potential to explore. Yet they threw it away. We could have learned so much.

Quote:
Which was my point. It's been like that since start. Main story, travel to a filler town, etc etc etc etc. Just like how Buffy season 1 - 3 were kind of Monster of the week, but then they changed the concept and the way the story was told. This made the show feel so fresh and diffrent, which was perfect. Supernatural need to do that too. In case you did not notice, this show has been gradually becoming worse the last couple of season. They need to change things up in order for this show to become good again, and does not mean more CGI, it means diffrent story telling. Longer and more storys, less fillers, no fillers if possible.

Last edited by Everlasting: 04-11-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old
04-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Damn, no new episodes of Supernatural nor Arrow. Stuck with Southland's new episode.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:37 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

Quote:
Money and CGI effects does not effect quality of writing, the same way you dont need a Micheal Bay budget to make a killer movie. It all comes down to creativity. And creativity is not a synonym for CGI effects and money. There are so many shows out there who has put out extraordinary writing with a budget even smaller then Supernatural, thats it's stupid to even bother naming them all. Lets take one example, BUFFY. Buffy is a masterpiece and of the greatest shows ever made, if not the greatest. The writers did not have even half of the technology that Supernatural has, yet they wrote TV history, episode after episode. Episodes which is still relevant today.

A writer does not knowingly turn in worse material then he or she can, becuse she or he does not get paid alot, the same way muscians does not write poor music becuse they dont get paid alot. How the hell do you think these people will get a raise? Bonuses? More money? By working bad? No, offcourse not. If they did, they would have been fired. A writer always writers the best possible episode. You dont work as a writer if you dont have a passion for it, and if do you have a passion for it, you do not work willingly bad. Otherwise you might have problem getting more jobs.

You do not have enough budget to make a CGI fest? Then you just write a damn episode about hell which does not require CGI. Like when they went to heaven. Why does hell have to be a huge CGI effect? Dont have the money? BE CREATIVE.

Stretching out that episode would have been perfect for the show. We would not just have more story to see, we would have had less fillers, this is only positive for the show. You do realize that almost all the demons they have killed is in hell? That the most powerfull deamons are in hell? Some of their friends are in hell? Their dad might be in hell? This was a huge moment for Supernatural, with tons of potential to explore. Yet they threw it away. We could have learned so much.

Which was my point. It's been like that since start. Main story, travel to a filler town, etc etc etc etc. Just like how Buffy season 1 - 3 were kind of Monster of the week, but then they changed the concept and the way the story was told. This made the show feel so fresh and diffrent, which was perfect. Supernatural need to do that too. In case you did not notice, this show has been gradually becoming worse the last couple of season. They need to change things up in order for this show to become good again, and does not mean more CGI, it means diffrent story telling. Longer and more storys, less fillers, no fillers if possible.
Buffy wasn't really like that in the Begininng either. Season 1 only had twelve episodes to deal with the Master. Season 2 was alot of Spike and Dru and then Angel lost his soul. Season three was the Mayor and Faith. They all had a large unifying theme...the only season that did alot of monster of the week episodes was season 6. It's my least favourite of the lot, but it by and large has alot of the strongest episodes.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:57 AM
Everlasting

Those seasons still had many fillers, even if most episodes and impact on the story, unlike Supernatural, so yes, in a way, but there is still Motw episodes. Like the hyena episode, the swim team, the egg episode or when Xander does a love spell etc etc.
However, as you say, even filler episodes of Buffy has story significance in them. Even the filler episode, the musical Once more with the feelings, has a very huge event in it. So even if there was no "main story" episode, there were always important somehow, and that is what made Buffy so special and why so many writers and directors of Hollywood call it the greatest tv show ever made. Even Doctor Who was brought back on the screen becuse of Buffy. If you are going to have a 20-24 ep season, you should do it like Buffy. Otherwise i think the show is better of with 10-15 episodes like Dexter or The Shield.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Another filler episode...DON'T CARE, CHARLIE! <3

Killer opening:

"I swear, give me 5 minutes and some clippers..."

"Montage?"

Agents Hicks and Ripley

Otherwise a bit of a sad episode, especially the ending. If Misha Collins won't be around much for season 9 either, I hope they make Felicia Day a regular and really make Charlie a Woman of Letters. So many potential storylines if they stick to that place.

Felicia Day: would wife.

Last edited by Jussi: 04-26-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 11:41 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
I liked the last episode, it did seem a little rushed though but I've bought seasons 1-7 on DVD. They are on sale at walmart.com for $15 a season.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:23 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Felicia Day makes everything awesome.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
Sometimes I use Twitter: @Nemesis_HF
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:33 PM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Next episode looks good...hopefully makes up for the pointless filler.

The Lunatic Fridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:43 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Felicia Day makes everything awesome.
She is the Queen

IF you want to have fun, google what happened when a blogger suggested that she was another pretty face. The blogger did zero research into just why she is the Queen of the geeks and nerds--lets just say things got a little ugly for that guy quickly

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Next episode looks good...hopefully makes up for the pointless filler.
A Charlie appearance is never pointless!

Old
04-27-2013, 03:03 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
A Charlie appearance is never pointless!
She's a 6/10 at best. There, I SAID IT.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:02 AM
serge2k

Good episode this week.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:36 AM
USC Trojans
New Era

Everytime I hear Metatron, I think of this version:

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:01 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Good episode. I really hope they don't take the cop out way of curing Sam of his demonic half for the "cure a demon" trial.

Only 2 eps left this season

Old
05-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

I keep constantly hearing Megatron instead of Metatron.

Rather serious episode, no funny stuff. Looks to be an intense ending to the season.