HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you see the Ducks signing in the Summer?

Old
04-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Dirk316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Problem there is you have Laganiere on that list. No way he's to be considered a part of the roster to start next year. Devo is a question mark too. Not so much that he's no deserving it's just how does he fit?

I think it's pretty clear Teemu is going to retire and Koivu coming back isn't etched in stone either. I like Steckel but I feel the fourth line spot needs to be open for either Holland or Rakell. So we're looking at one or two at the most open spots for forwards. I think Maroon is definitely on the opening night roster.

On defense it's pretty clear too that we're more or less set. Lydman moves on or retires and Vatanen takes his spot. I'd be fine with Lovejoy re-signing to be our 7th but I'm sure he'll want that. As much as Allen drove me crazy at times this year he's really settled in lately and his contract is unmovable anyway.

Personally I'd like to just fill in the couple of spots with promotions. Teemu's production is way down and should be replaced by either Belesky (who has only three goals less than Teemu) or Etem (who hasn't necessarily put up the numbers this year but has the ability). In the event Koivu doesn't come back I can imagine a lineup that looks like:

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Belesky-Bonino-Palmieri
Winnik-Cogliano-Etem
Maroon-Holland-Smith-Pelly

Souray-Beauchemin
Fowler-Sbisa
Allen-Vatanen

Fasth
Hiller

If Koivu comes back Cogs goes to the wing and Smith-Pelly to Norfolk. Belesky and Palmieri will be getting decent raises and Cam's new contract kicks in so there won't be a lot of money to go after a free agent and I don't think we need to. Keep building from within since we have our key players locked up for a while.
I would switch Etem and Beleskey in that lineup and from what ive seen of DSP Staubitz over him

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:02 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
I would switch Etem and Beleskey in that lineup and from what ive seen of DSP Staubitz over him
I was back and forth about where to put Etem and Belesky though I'm sure they'll be moved around a lot next year. I just think Etem's speed will mesh well with Cogs and Winnik and Belesky's ability to find open space in front of the net will make effective on the second line.

As for Devo, he just brings more to the table than Staubitz. Skates better, hits harder, has better hands. It's just a question of whether he'll bring the proper effort every night. I think by October he'll be mature enough to compete every night. But then again if Staubitz keeps shooting the puck like he did last night I may have to reevaluated my opinion of him. I doubt it though.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:10 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
I was back and forth about where to put Etem and Belesky though I'm sure they'll be moved around a lot next year. I just think Etem's speed will mesh well with Cogs and Winnik and Belesky's ability to find open space in front of the net will make effective on the second line.

As for Devo, he just brings more to the table than Staubitz. Skates better, hits harder, has better hands. It's just a question of whether he'll bring the proper effort every night. I think by October he'll be mature enough to compete every night. But then again if Staubitz keeps shooting the puck like he did last night I may have to reevaluated my opinion of him. I doubt it though.
That is absolutely false. DSP has not hit even close to as hard or as often as Staubitz has when given the opportunity in the NHL this year. In fact, he's been kind of soft. He skates better and has better hands sure, but he doesn't fight, and he really hasn't exactly dominated the AHL level quite yet. I'm perfectly fine with him spending another year in Norfolk at this point if Maroon beats him out (Pretty likely)

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Finnpin

Yep I'm pretty sure DSP was drafted so high because he had that gritty/tough element in his game and now he isn't showing it...his "scoring" doesn't bring him NHL spot, so time to use the big shoulders. Do or die.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Problem there is you have Laganiere on that list. No way he's to be considered a part of the roster to start next year. Devo is a question mark too. Not so much that he's no deserving it's just how does he fit?

I think it's pretty clear Teemu is going to retire and Koivu coming back isn't etched in stone either. I like Steckel but I feel the fourth line spot needs to be open for either Holland or Rakell. So we're looking at one or two at the most open spots for forwards. I think Maroon is definitely on the opening night roster.

On defense it's pretty clear too that we're more or less set. Lydman moves on or retires and Vatanen takes his spot. I'd be fine with Lovejoy re-signing to be our 7th but I'm sure he'll want that. As much as Allen drove me crazy at times this year he's really settled in lately and his contract is unmovable anyway.

Personally I'd like to just fill in the couple of spots with promotions. Teemu's production is way down and should be replaced by either Belesky (who has only three goals less than Teemu) or Etem (who hasn't necessarily put up the numbers this year but has the ability). In the event Koivu doesn't come back I can imagine a lineup that looks like:

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Belesky-Bonino-Palmieri
Winnik-Cogliano-Etem

Souray-Beauchemin
Fowler-Sbisa
Allen-Vatanen

Fasth
Hiller

If Koivu comes back Cogs goes to the wing and Smith-Pelly to Norfolk. Belesky and Palmieri will be getting decent raises and Cam's new contract kicks in so there won't be a lot of money to go after a free agent and I don't think we need to. Keep building from within since we have our key players locked up for a while.
Fine, i also don`t expect that Laganiere will be a full time player, but he`ll get some stints most likely. And if he won`t be playing, someone has to. He`s arguably in our top 12 forwards signed for next season.

Getz-Bonino-Cogs-Holland would make a worst faceoff team in the history. At least Steckel needs to be resigned.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:30 PM
NEWFowler
hi

We've got to remember that DSP is still 20 years old. Hes playing against men, and even though he's built like a truck, he's still got some growing to do. He was never expected to be a scorer, so expecting that of him isn't fair. Some time in the AHL will do him good in the long run. I expect him to be a Winnik type player eventually..

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:38 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Fine, i also don`t expect that Laganiere will be a full time player, but he`ll get some stints most likely. And if he won`t be playing, someone has to. He`s arguably in our top 12 forwards signed for next season.

Getz-Bonino-Cogs-Holland would make a worst faceoff team in the history. At least Steckel needs to be resigned.
No he's not. I have him below Maroon, Smith-Pelly, Holland, Staubitz, Rakell, Wagner, Karlsson (if he signs), and Friberg.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
No he's not. I have him below Maroon, Smith-Pelly, Holland, Staubitz, Rakell, Wagner, Karlsson (if he signs), and Friberg.
You could be right. Or i could be right. However, i put him in that ''12'' with Holly and Staubitz

It was just a guess from my part. It`s hard for us to judge since i think no one has really saw him playing.

One way or another, We need 12-14 forwards reguraly up. I included only 12 and Beleskey and Palms might get a rise.

Old
04-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
We've got to remember that DSP is still 20 years old. Hes playing against men, and even though he's built like a truck, he's still got some growing to do. He was never expected to be a scorer, so expecting that of him isn't fair. Some time in the AHL will do him good in the long run. I expect him to be a Winnik type player eventually..
True, we have to be patient with him.

But i don`t agree with Winnik part, i don`t think he`s as fast. If he would be, the boards would crush 5 times more than before (advanced stats)

Having seen him bouncing off opposition players who try to hit him (yesterday against Alberts, also had happened in AHL), he reminds me of Strutter bubble which allows you to turn away any **** that is comming your way

Strutter bubble here (be aware there`s ''strong language'' and some other illegal stuff i can`t post here directly. So don`t watch it ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC-pvJ-2KQQ

relevant to our avatar theme

Old
04-26-2013, 06:22 PM
OCSportsfan

Quote:

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Belesky-Bonino-Palmieri
Winnik-Cogliano-Etem

Souray-Beauchemin
Fowler-Sbisa
Allen-Vatanen

Fasth
Hiller

That is not a Stanley cup team. BUT it does have many good pieces for potential trades.

I would say we go into the year with the following line up - which is basically the same line up as this year. I wish I knew what we need, but whatever it is, we have enough to trade for it in my opinion. Maybe that is where Burke comes in next year.

Ryan-Getz-Perry
Pamieri-Bonino-Etem
Winnick-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Holland-Maroon

Rakell-AHL
DSP-AHL

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:29 PM
OCSportsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
We all think he should be better since he played in the NHL last year. Remember, he could not go to the AHL last year since he was too young, which is probalby where he should have been. It was either the NHL or back to Juniors. I would bet the org thought it would be better for his development to play against men rather than being the biggest kid in juniors.

He is probably on the correct pace to make it to the NHL at the age of 22-23, which would be in 2 years. He should be the best player on the AHL team next year, then take Winnicks spot on the third line.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Dirk316

Quote:

Actually Staubitz bring more to the table better hitter tougher snd most important part he supposedly can play defense if needed DSP literally has shown nothing at this point

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Paul4587

Right now we have just over $10M in cap space and we need to re-sign/sign 4-5 forwards and 1 defenseman. We've got plenty of room still.

Here are the signed guys who will be on the roster next year:

Ryan
Getzlaf
Perry
Bonino
Cogs
Winnik
Maroon
Etem
Staubitz

Fowler
Beauch
Sbisa
Allen
Souray
Vatanen (the #6 spot should be his to lose)

Beleskey and Palmieri are both RFAs who don't have a hell of a lot of leverage to get significant raises. I would assume Beleskey is signed for about $1M and Palmieri could be anywhere between $1M and $2.5M depending on how long a contract he signs (I can see a Sbisa type deal where he signs longer term to try and get value by the end of the contract). Then we need to sign a #7 defenseman - that will cost at most $1M if not less. I would think Holland would get a chance at the 4C spot too and he's still on his ELC.

Here is an estimate of what we have:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) / Ryan Getzlaf ($8.250m) / Corey Perry ($8.625m)
UFA or Callup ($0.000m) / Nick Bonino ($0.700m) / Kyle Palmieri ($2.000m)
Andrew Cogliano ($2.390m) / UFA or Callup ($0.000m) / Daniel Winnik ($1.800m)
Matt Beleskey ($1.000m) / Peter Holland ($1.295m) / Emerson Etem ($0.870m)
Patrick Maroon ($0.575m) / Brad Staubitz ($0.638m)
DEFENSEMEN
Francois Beauchemin ($3.500m) / Sheldon Souray ($3.667m)
Bryan Allen ($3.500m) / Cam Fowler ($4.000m)
Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Sami Vatanen ($1.325m)
UFA or Callup ($0.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)
Viktor Fasth ($2.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,809,217; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $6,340,783

So $6.3M for a 3C (or 2C if Bonino takes Koivu's role on the third line), a 2LW and a 7D. It will be tight but I think we still have a bit of room for upgrades. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a couple of trades as well.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:29 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I think the budget will be 10% off of the cap, like it always is. The only thing they may do is maybe allow some extra for Getzlf and Perry. (Say pretend that both were signed for a million cheaper).

That would come out to about 60 million.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Paul4587

If the budget is only $60M then players are going to have to be moved to fit under budget. I was under the impression that the signings of Getzlaf and Perry made us a team to spend to the cap like we were in Burkes days.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
If the budget is only $60M then players are going to have to be moved to fit under budget. I was under the impression that the signings of Getzlaf and Perry made us a team to spend to the cap like we were in Burkes days.
That's the impression I was under as well. And revenue sharing makes that sort of thing possible.

Also worth noting, while their cap hits are quite high, Perry and Getzlaf only combine for $13.5 million next year. In comparison, they would have combined for $11 million this year over a full season, so budget-wise, that's only an addition of $2.5 million per.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:04 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
I don't think we will do a thing in free agency except maybe a number 4-5 Dman and one bottom 6 player.
But I do think we will make a trade for a top 6 player with us moving someone like Sbisa.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote