HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal

Old
04-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Serviceable top 4 defenseman with no offensive game. His name gives him some leverage, and he wants to play with his brothers, like every human being does.

Late 1st/early 2nd would suffice I'd say.
You've summed up Marc Staal perfectly.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:11 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Agreed.

Staal continues to be our most underrated defenseman.

Teams don't trade their best defenseman because of 'depth'. If anyone is going to be the odd man out, it should be Girardi, followed by Del Zotto.
Swap Girardi and Del Zotto and these are my thoughts exactly.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

People need to cut this first round crap out. We are not rebuilding so we won't be trading players for picks. Enough of this crap.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:41 PM
dethomas07

please stop this madness!! hahah none of out d are going to be traded well at least untill Staal is a FA bc he will get 5-6m AAV

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:06 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
Don't see he Rangers making this deal. Staal has been a good Ranger. If he wants to be here they will find the space to re-sign him.

When healthy, he is STILL arguably our best D Man. Which says a lot alongside McD and Girardi.

If they want to trade him, he would return something extra nice. Assuming he's healthy at that point.

No?
I am thinking he wont sign an extension. Then if we keep him for one year, we lose him for nothing. He may want to join his brothers in Carolina. We could definatley find cap space to sign him

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:30 PM
schabadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
There's actually quite a bit of evidence in support of that not being true. Unless there are genetic issues predisposing one to concussions, the recent findings indicate that as long as you allow the brain to heal properly, you aren't more likely to suffer another one.
I appreciate the effort to refute his unsubstantiated claim. He even gave a hint and everything.

schabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:31 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
You've summed up Marc Staal perfectly.
Just stating the facts bratwurst.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Just stating the facts bratwurst.
Marc Staal would be a top pairing defensemen on almost all of the teams in the league.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Marc Staal would be a top pairing defensemen on almost all of the teams in the league.
A #1*

I'm probably the biggest Staal fan on here. I was being completely sarcastic.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Affinity

Quote:
A #1*

I'm probably the biggest Staal fan on here. I was being completely sarcastic.
Sorry, it's hard to tell. There are a lot of people who underrate Staal here.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:06 PM
NYRCSKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Or we could just trade Richards, Boyle and Thomas for Staal, Staal &.... Staal.
I'd throw in Kreider and our entire draft if Eric is coming the other way. Jesus that would be a steal of a trade. We would have 4 very good centers

Nash- E.Staal - Callahan
Hagelin - Stepan - Zuccarello
J.Staal - Brassard - Clowe
Dorsett - Haley - J Staal

*also I know this will never happen... I just wanted to get a view of that crazy*

NYRCSKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:56 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Sorry, it's hard to tell. There are a lot of people who underrate Staal here.
I know that's why I think it's hilarious when he's far and away our #1 defenseman. As good as McDonagh and Girardi are, Staal is on an entirely other level.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:06 AM
Chimp

No defenseman is a problem when they're on top of their game. They wouldn't be in the NHL otherwise. The problems arise when they're struggling.

That's why Staal is our best defenseman. When he's struggling, he's still useful out there. When Del Zotto struggles, he's becomes Del Zaster. When Girardi struggles, he can be brutal. When McD struggles, he becomes invisible (which still is a clear notch above Del Zotto and Girardi IMO). Del Zotto's clear problem is his terrible decision making and risk assessment, when he rushes things, it's game over. Girardi's problem is he's not a good puck handler by any stretch of the imagination (hence why it's such a mystery why he's constantly playing on our PP).

Staal is our best shutdown D-man and still has some offensive game to talk about. He and McD are the only two D-men I consider untouchable on our roster. Girardi and Del Zotto can be traded for the right parts.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:17 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
No defenseman is a problem when they're on top of their game. They wouldn't be in the NHL otherwise. The problems arise when they're struggling.

That's why Staal is our best defenseman. When he's struggling, he's still useful out there. When Del Zotto struggles, he's becomes Del Zaster. When Girardi struggles, he can be brutal. When McD struggles, he becomes invisible (which still is a clear notch above Del Zotto and Girardi IMO). Del Zotto's clear problem is his terrible decision making and risk assessment, when he rushes things, it's game over. Girardi's problem is he's not a good puck handler by any stretch of the imagination (hence why it's such a mystery why he's constantly playing on our PP).

Staal is our best shutdown D-man and still has some offensive game to talk about. He and McD are the only two D-men I consider untouchable on our roster. Girardi and Del Zotto can be traded for the right parts.
I agree with your assessment, but the problem is - this is what most everyone is pointing at - what does Marc want to do: does he want to stay and play for the Rangers or does he want to play with his brothers down in Carolina?

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:10 AM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

For all we know he wants to play by himself. Maybe he wants to be the clear #1 on a team, or not be in his brothers' shadow.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:49 AM
broadwayblue

Has Marc ever for a moment stated he is interested in going to Carolina to play with his brothers on the canes? This whole discussion is silly. He's been a Ranger his entire career and has 2 more years on his existing contract. Yet we're spewing hypothetical nonsense about him wanting to leave based on what?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:12 AM
dethomas07

Quote:
Has Marc ever for a moment stated he is interested in going to Carolina to play with his brothers on the canes? This whole discussion is silly. He's been a Ranger his entire career and has 2 more years on his existing contract. Yet we're spewing hypothetical nonsense about him wanting to leave based on what?
i agree its ridiculous.. jordan wanted out of Pitt bc he was playing 3rd fiddle to crosby and malkin and wanted a bigger role on a team..and pitt wanted to get a young 3rd line center back to replace him.. so i feel it just happened that way.. jared is another story bc that was eric telling carolina to bring in his brother so he can coach him up...

there is no better place to play in the world to play then MSG.. we are the best fans in the biz and have the best venue in the best city.. noway we let marc walk or trade him.. we know hes our best player!!

and noway we trade girardi either.. some of you guys dont even see the little things this guy does.. hes a solid top 4 dman that is irreplaceable.. yeah he shouldnt play on PP but the guy is the best at what he does.. block shots, strong d play and limits time and space.. hes an amazing compliment to staal or MCD.. plus rd's are the hardest to replace.. he's here long term no ands ifs or buts.. if sauer was still here and mcirath you could guarantee to be a top4 he would be traded but noway that happens sorry.. DZ will be trade before any of them...and i even see that doubtful..we have all the pieces!! its just about putting it all together!!

Last edited by dethomas07: 04-27-2013 at 08:18 AM.
dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:20 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

In the last two years, Staal has had a TBI and a significant Eye injury.

All this talk about him being the teams best d-man is fine and dandy -- when he's healthy.

Rangers proved last season and this season they can win in the regular season without him.

The injuries concern me. I wont shed one tear if he's traded, especially if you can get Carolina's 2013 1st back in the deal.

If Carolina loses and Nashville wins, that pick could be top-5 overall, maybe even top-3.

Staal for MacKinnon or Barkov??????

Tough one. I say yes please.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

There should be a prefix called "Hypothetical" here because this is essentially what this is. IF you knew he was gone in 2 years:
A) would you trade him
And if yes
B) for what

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:34 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
All his brothers are currently in Carolina. It's not silly: fans want this organization to cover it's ass if Marc is pondering about the possibility of playing with his brothers.

No one has implied he indeed is leaving and I don't see the harm in trying to get him to sign an extension and possibly inquire if he would like to be a Hurricane or a Ranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
All this talk about him being the teams best d-man is fine and dandy -- when he's healthy.

Rangers proved last season and this season they can win in the regular season without him.
Well, no **** when he's healthy. That's true for any player.

Have you forgotten how our defense plays at times? Del Zotto has played a few games where he's both pathetic on defense and offense, McDonagh has played a few games soft, Girardi I consider to be a black hole with regards to offense and has shown a few brain farts here and there.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:38 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
All his brothers are currently in Carolina. It's not silly: fans want this organization to cover it's ass if Marc is pondering about the possibility of playing with his brothers.

No one has implied he indeed is leaving and I don't see the harm in trying to get him to sign an extension and possibly inquire if he would like to be a Hurricane or a Ranger.
I fully expect the Rangers to sign Marc to an extension next summer or shortly thereafter. I'll worry about the terms a year from now, but I'm sure it will be reasonable for both parties. The organization knows that he is the anchor of the defense, and they will make every effort to ensure he never goes anywhere. That said, if Marc decides he wants out after 2015 (which is his right) then the team will maximize his value the best they can. But again, this won't be happening within the next 365 days. I'm willing to bet anyone $ on that.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:40 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
I fully expect the Rangers to sign Marc to an extension next summer or shortly thereafter. I'll worry about the terms a year from now, but I'm sure it will be reasonable for both parties. The organization knows that he is the anchor of the defense, and they will make every effort to ensure he never goes anywhere. That said, if Marc decides he wants out after 2015 (which is his right) then the team will maximize his value the best they can. But again, this won't be happening within the next 365 days. I'm willing to bet anyone $ on that.
If he wants out after 2015, we get nothing.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Dactyl

staal is criminally underrated around here. i cant believe how fast most of you have forgotten how dominant he is when hes helthy

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Riverdale

Until Staal says something about maybe wanting to play in Carolina, its pointless to speculate.

His brothers are there. So what? I can't imagine anything more horrifying than working with MY siblings. People are different, and Marc might want to be on his own here in NY. We don't know.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:49 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
If he wants out after 2015, we get nothing.
I'm fully aware of that. But that's two+ years from now. Plenty of time to extend him or move him if he's not interested. That's why I said the team will talk extension next summer (2014) while he still has a year left. I've never seen a contending team move a core player more with more than 2 years remaining on his contract because they are worried about whether he might not re-sign years down the road. The New York Rangers are NOT trading Marc Staal in the next year. It's not happening.