HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Home ice!!! Habs beat Jets 4-2.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:09 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Oh... guess who the NHL.com has decided to, literally, be the face of our team in their homepage?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
KadrüH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Oh... guess who the NHL.com has decided to, literally, be the face of our team in their homepage?
who.

KadrüH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:24 PM
PricePkPatch

Awww... they removed the picture. They had 8 player faces line up to represent the playoff teams of the Eastern Conference. Ours was Subban

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:33 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Do I ever feel for you! Watching every game for the Habs is a stress-affair for me. The playoffs are a borderline heart-attack. If I live in a city FULL of the fans of the team we are currently facing in a 7-game series... I'm not sure I'd make it out alive!

If we play the Leafs, this series will either be extremely painful for you if we lose or euphoric if we win! For your sake, I hope the Habs take it I'm thinking you may want to lock yourself up with fellow Habs fans and resist going out into the real world for the next two weeks
Well if we win convincingly tomorrow night, they'll shut their faces and also there's the chance we don't play them. Otherwise it will be a constant chirp fest. I'm fine with that, I have numerous battle scars, but the team has to win the series if we go into one with them.

If we lose, it will have a very very significant impact on my life. Imagine being a Habs fan in Boston (which I have before) and losing to them, except this is where you've lived and believe me, if you live in Boston with a good job, odds are most of your friends give two ***** about the bruins. A lot of the people in Boston working are either from out of town or don't follow hockey. My sister lives there and I visit her pretty often. Tons of bruins fans in Boston, obviously and wearing tshirts and jerseys, but odds are you don't know them or interact with them on a daily basis or have them on facebook or whatever. Funny story about when I went with my sister to a government building to help her moving apts. They were all Bruins fans there and I did not hesitate to flash my phone's home screen pic.

Toronto, WHOLE different story. Everyone I know here is a leafs fan except the odd Sens and Habs fans. And they as a community have built this grand empire of passion and pride and hating the Habs with total failure. This has only made this season a complete rebound and it's like having blue balls (appropriate colour too) and then finally being given a chance to...relieve yourself?

Not only that, but Habs fans who are either ex-Montrealers (such as myself) living in Ontario or home grown Ontario Habs fans (many on the board) are very very proud. Everyone at work above all things about me characterize me as being obsessed with the Habs (which is really just the average Habs fan). So, you become an easy target BUT the joy experienced when we win is magnified. It might be more than what one would feel (and that I used to) when living in Montreal. I think that effect (tribalism, self-identification) is a common psychological phenomenon though.

Going into a series with the leafs, even if we CLEARLY had the upper hand would still be a high risk/high reward situation. Anything can happen. So you gotta ask yourself (punk, who would be me I guess), do I feel lucky?

Let's just say the win at the ACC that I attended (first time ever going to a game there) was probably one of my favourite hockey moments and I've been to a LOT of great games at the BC. (And hopefully will be for game 5, and if it comes down to it game 7).

Aside: when do the tickets get printed? Usually they say who we're playing in the playoffs and we won't know possibly til the 29th! I ordered my tickets for game 7 to be sent by mail, but I guess that leaves a decent amount of time for them to get here. Even game 5 I guess, although I asked for those send via Email and they obviously don't have the opponent (since you get them the day you buy them). I just like keeping my tickets and so far I have two Habs-Leafs ones, one at the BC in 2009 and one at the ACC this year. Both wins. Good thing for us that I have game 7 tickets in case!

Edit: Just looked at my bulletin board and facepalmed as I forgot somehow that I was at the BC for a 3-0 Price shutdown of the leafs in Feb 2011 with seats two rows from the glass. So I'm 3-0. See, that's why I like keeping the physical reminder.

Last edited by habtastic: 04-26-2013 at 12:42 PM.
habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its tough to analyze this game, given that the jets season ended while the game was still going on, which made the 3rd period garbage time. Anyways, I'll give it a whirl.

Price looked better and seemed to be trying really hard to feel good about himself. I remember after making a nice save in the first period, Price didnt just get back up, he sprung up and almost jumped, as if he was trying to manufacture some swagger and confidence. You'll see some goalies do this when they are trying to re-gain their confidence. It further proves to me that his confidence has been shaken and he's trying hard to get it back as soon as possible.

As for the rest of the team, unfortunately, their effort wasn't very convincing. Its still very messy in the defensive zone, passes aren't crisp, and the best players, especially markov and subban, are not close to where they need to be or are capable of being. The PK was tough to gauge because the Jets are a bad PP team.

To me, it just looked like the habs took advantage of a dejected jets team, and powder puff goaltending in the 3rd period. There was a shot of the Jets bench before the 3rd period started, and you could see that emptiness feeling had already crept in on their faces. Noel looked like a coach who just wanted the clock to run in fast forward.

Anyways, a win is a win. Its not a win that felt like everything is okay, but maybe the habs can use it as a mini building block going into game 48, and continue to progress back to the point where the team was prior to clinching a playoff spot. You won't get back to that point in one game, but I'd rather make some progression right now, rather than starting in the playoffs, which is always a tall order.

Last edited by Hackett: 04-26-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:34 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Well if we win convincingly tomorrow night, they'll shut their faces and also there's the chance we don't play them. Otherwise it will be a constant chirp fest. I'm fine with that, I have numerous battle scars, but the team has to win the series if we go into one with them.

If we lose, it will have a very very significant impact on my life. Imagine being a Habs fan in Boston (which I have before) and losing to them, except this is where you've lived and believe me, if you live in Boston with a good job, odds are most of your friends give two ***** about the bruins. A lot of the people in Boston working are either from out of town or don't follow hockey. My sister lives there and I visit her pretty often. Tons of bruins fans in Boston, obviously and wearing tshirts and jerseys, but odds are you don't know them or interact with them on a daily basis or have them on facebook or whatever. Funny story about when I went with my sister to a government building to help her moving apts. They were all Bruins fans there and I did not hesitate to flash my phone's home screen pic.

Toronto, WHOLE different story. Everyone I know here is a leafs fan except the odd Sens and Habs fans. And they as a community have built this grand empire of passion and pride and hating the Habs with total failure. This has only made this season a complete rebound and it's like having blue balls (appropriate colour too) and then finally being given a chance to...relieve yourself?

Not only that, but Habs fans who are either ex-Montrealers (such as myself) living in Ontario or home grown Ontario Habs fans (many on the board) are very very proud. Everyone at work above all things about me characterize me as being obsessed with the Habs (which is really just the average Habs fan). So, you become an easy target BUT the joy experienced when we win is magnified. It might be more than what one would feel (and that I used to) when living in Montreal. I think that effect (tribalism, self-identification) is a common psychological phenomenon though.

Going into a series with the leafs, even if we CLEARLY had the upper hand would still be a high risk/high reward situation. Anything can happen. So you gotta ask yourself (punk, who would be me I guess), do I feel lucky?

Let's just say the win at the ACC that I attended (first time ever going to a game there) was probably one of my favourite hockey moments and I've been to a LOT of great games at the BC. (And hopefully will be for game 5, and if it comes down to it game 7).

Aside: when do the tickets get printed? Usually they say who we're playing in the playoffs and we won't know possibly til the 29th! I ordered my tickets for game 7 to be sent by mail, but I guess that leaves a decent amount of time for them to get here. Even game 5 I guess, although I asked for those send via Email and they obviously don't have the opponent (since you get them the day you buy them). I just like keeping my tickets and so far I have two Habs-Leafs ones, one at the BC in 2009 and one at the ACC this year. Both wins. Good thing for us that I have game 7 tickets in case!

Edit: Just looked at my bulletin board and facepalmed as I forgot somehow that I was at the BC for a 3-0 Price shutdown of the leafs in Feb 2011 with seats two rows from the glass. So I'm 3-0. See, that's why I like keeping the physical reminder.
Jeez I can't imagine what it is like to live in Toronto during this time of year. But like you said, every victory is sweeter and every loss is more harsh. Every game has a larger impact and that probably makes it more fun to watch.

You're like a soldier out in enemy territory hahaha! Good luck out there during these next few weeks

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Tinordi - 7 hits.
Rest of the habs - 9.

I see any area where a lot of players need to step it up.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:06 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Tinordi - 7 hits.
Rest of the habs - 9.

I see any area where a lot of players need to step it up.
Our team's leading hitter, Prust, (now that Emelin is out) was put on the 4th line with less than 11 minutes of EV TOI and only 16 shifts. With time management like that, the hitting is probably not going to be very high.

Subban did not have a single hit last night. Neither did Markov. And they spent a lot of time as a pairing last night.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:36 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Our team's leading hitter, Prust, (now that Emelin is out) was put on the 4th line with less than 11 minutes of EV TOI and only 16 shifts. With time management like that, the hitting is probably not going to be very high.

Subban did not have a single hit last night. Neither did Markov. And they spent a lot of time as a pairing last night.
Nice try. Prust played less than a minute less than his season TOI/G. He played 30 seconds (or less than 1 shift basically) on ES than his season norm.

12 1/2 minutes is perfectly acceptable ice-time for Prust.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:07 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Nice try. Prust played less than a minute less than his season TOI/G. He played 30 seconds (or less than 1 shift basically) on ES than his season norm.

12 1/2 minutes is perfectly acceptable ice-time for Prust.
Would you prefer Prust on the 3rd or 4th line?

Old
04-26-2013, 07:47 PM
sampollock

wa at the game, it was great, habs are small, wow

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:05 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I'd prefer us to a use a rotating system. If a Top-9 winger is having a bad game, Prust moves up. Simple as that.

He starts on the 4th line though. He fits there best and the other wingers don't. Bourque played great last game and has been rock solid since being paired with Eller/Galchenyuk, so you can't move him down. No other winger fits on the 4th line. Prust goes there by default.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:20 PM
madhi19

Quote:

Prust is playing on one leg and one shoulder don't expect him to bring any hit any time soon

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:02 PM
leopod

Quote:
All of it in natural stride. Like a boss.

not sure if posted already...sorry for the delay...subban

leopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:32 PM
habtastic

Quote:
He played on both last night fyi.

I remember seeing plenty of him.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:39 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
I'd prefer us to a use a rotating system. If a Top-9 winger is having a bad game, Prust moves up. Simple as that.

He starts on the 4th line though. He fits there best and the other wingers don't. Bourque played great last game and has been rock solid since being paired with Eller/Galchenyuk, so you can't move him down. No other winger fits on the 4th line. Prust goes there by default.
I guess I am confused a little bit by Therrien's decision. Prust played on the third line all season and this team had one of the best seasons in a long time. Prust was far better than Bourque's "rock solid" one game on the line with Chuckie and Eller.

But by default he is moved down to the 4th where his skills are wasted. He made Eller and Chuckie play bigger and he created space for them.

I wonder if Therrien would move Clarkson or Clowe to the 4th line if we signed either in the offseason.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:43 PM
habtastic

Quote:
I guess I am confused a little bit by Therrien's decision. Prust played on the third line all season and this team had one of the best seasons in a long time. Prust was far better than Bourque's "rock solid" one game on the line with Chuckie and Eller.

But by default he is moved down to the 4th where his skills are wasted. He made Eller and Chuckie play bigger and he created space for them.

I wonder if Therrien would move Clarkson or Clowe to the 4th line if we signed either in the offseason.
Bourque was terrific on that line bringing speed and size. Ryder is the one being managed cuz right now he's faltering.

Dunno if you read what I wrote, but MT WAS rotating Prust according to situation and will continue to do so. Bourque is not tiny btw.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:47 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
He played on both last night fyi.

I remember seeing plenty of him.
He had a two shifts with Eller, the last one being at the end of the game. He had one shift with Pleks replacing Halpern.

Other than that, he spent the night with the two plugs on the 4th.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:58 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Bourque was terrific on that line bringing speed and size. Ryder is the one being managed cuz right now he's faltering.

Dunno if you read what I wrote, but MT WAS rotating Prust according to situation and will continue to do so. Bourque is not tiny btw.
Bourque scored a goal in that big scrum. Good on him for being opportunistic. We need every goal that we can get regardless of how ugly they are.

What worries me is that Galchenyuk is not contributing. He had one shot last night.

Chuckie has 36 missed shots in 47 games.
Bourque has 35 missed shots in 26 games.

I would much rather see Chuckie shooting than Bourque. And Prust usually found a way to get the puck to him so he could at least get a shot on net.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

I hope that the Habs defeat the Leafs tomorrow and the Caps defeat the Bruins. That would grant me the exquisite pleasure of seeing one of our least favorite teams being beaten by the other in the playoffs, only to see the survivor face the Penguins in the second round. Of course, the Habs would have to survive the first two rounds, and that's not a sure thing.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:33 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
If we beat T.O in regulation saturday, Ottawa might win their next two games ( with the Karlsson effect ). Then we would play Ottawa.
Wrong. We'd be 2nd, Ottawa 5th.

Quote:
All of it in natural stride. Like a boss.
Beuty play, the guy is a god sometimes. BTW, I think it's the Ref's job to clear sticks if possible.

Quote:

AC comments:

- WTF is wrong with everyone not caring if we come second? They want to rest everyone and Gauthier being a dick basically saying Markov is a no-compete lazy guy at heart (clearly cuz he's Russian.)

Langdeau was the only one who seemed to get it. He kept prodding everyone about 2nd being better than 4th, which it freaking is, by a LOT! Asking Carbo what he'd rather have and Carbo saying it's better that they be ready for game 1.

Reason?: What if Toronto sends their goons/plays physical on Saturday risking injuring players?

So shy away from playing a team cuz they might injure you in one game. Uh, why not avoid them in the first round by lining your cards up for a good possibility that Boston loses to one of Wash/Ott in a back to back???
You are correct. 2nd means we play Isles or Rags, much softer opponent in round 1. Though Rags and Henrik worry me. Isles don't worry me at all.

But the real point is that finishing second guarantees us home advantage until round three. That is huge.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:08 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Bourque scored a goal in that big scrum. Good on him for being opportunistic. We need every goal that we can get regardless of how ugly they are.

What worries me is that Galchenyuk is not contributing. He had one shot last night.

I would much rather see Chuckie shooting than Bourque. And Prust usually found a way to get the puck to him so he could at least get a shot on net.
So you're mad that Bourque gave that line a goal (Chucky brought the puck to the net) because maybe they could have had more if Prust was feeding Chucky for shots. In that game, Chucky missed at least 3 chances to score. Bourque is, if anything, giving him some space. Not saying Prust doesn't, but Bourque works with them too and Prust is useful on a very good 4th line (remember, our 4th is not scrubs, it has a specific role to play that is important).

Chucky has been producing just fine lately, nobody is dragging him down and I hope he starts to use his other skills to score. Kadri has been using his shot, Chucky hasn't scored once using it (think AK snipe). I have a feeling it's going to happen very soon. Bourque is not the puck hog you think he is and if he scores, I really don't care if it was him, Eller, Chucky or whoever. If those three can generate goals playing together, then I'm all for it!

Old
04-27-2013, 01:18 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:

Last 12 Games for Chuckie: 6 Goals, 5 Assists, 11 Points

His production lately is better than any other Hab and during that losing streak he was one of our most effective players. Can't always evaluate his performance statistically but even in this case he has been awesome lately!

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote