HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Boston or Toronto

View Poll Results: Which team would you cheer for if you had to choose one?
Boston 81 43.55%
Toronto 105 56.45%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
I guess nobody will be surprised here....Boston. 'Cause they have that mix of talent and grit I wish we'd have. And they have my favorite complete player in the league in Bergeron. Toronto doesn't have that. And on top of it, even if people would find Boston to be quite full of themselves....they have WAY more right to be than Toronto does. Latter acts as if they're a big dynasty already.

I actually wish that Boston not only beat, but crushes Toronto....and then be crushed themselves right after....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Toronto AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE. (my favourite HF cliche)

The fact the Bruins are getting any kind of sympathy is mind-numbing!

I hate Boston much more than I will ever hate Toronto.
Well the only reason why some would have Boston that much is solely based on rivalry. Just wait a couple of years if Toronto becomes relevant AND play a somewhat similar type of hockey than Boston does...it would be MUCH closer.

Old
04-26-2013, 05:27 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
I chose Boston if they play against Toronto, but not by much. I'd rather they both lose.

peate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:48 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Bruins.

I hate the Bruins more as a team, but living in Ontario and listening to Leafs fans 24/7 is rather annoying and surpasses my hate for the Bruins.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:49 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Leafs

Woops habs board

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
the leafs should be easier to beat but for some reason arent so i would want boston to win

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Bob Cole

Im shocked that so many are picking the Broons. I'd be cheering for a Laffs sweep.

Bob Cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Should be a "neither" option, agreed. I wouldn't "cheer" for anybody. But of course "hate" the Bruins more so voted Leafs. But it wouldn't actually be cheering.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:13 PM
WG

I hate everything the Bruins stand for. But I can still respect their team (or at least some of the players on it), can respect how they have been built and can respect the fact that they have a recent Cup win.

I would want Boston to stomp the Leafs into a hole from which they never return. The Leafs fans and the media in Canada would make it absolutely unbearable if the Leafs managed to win a couple of rounds. Commemorative DVD. Music video. Don Cherry and Nazem Kadri go back to making out and would escalate into an adult video.

It's been a long time but I can remember the last time the Leafs were somewhat relevant. HNIC and TSN on a non-stop all-Leafs loop. Hockey boards with threads like "Leafs are Canada's team" and "Leafs are the Yankees of Hockey." Oh, and the odd "Lindros to Leafs!!!!!!!"

The main reason this poll isn't about 90% for Boston is that the Leafs haven't been good enough to make us hate them.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I wouldn't cheer for either one, but Bruins over the Leafs.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:20 PM
LyricalLyricist

I prefer Leafs. Thing is, I know leafs and their fans will eventually becoming irritating. Really don't like boston though. I personally don't mind the leafs as a team right now although didn't find the 6-0 game goonery appealing.

Whatever, apocalypse or judgement day is a better option.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Boston are the archenemy.

Leafs are the little annoying kid brother that will steal your legos but will always be a loser.

Tried to vote, couldn't.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post

Leafs are the little annoying kid brother that will steal your legos but will always be a loser.

Tried to vote, couldn't.
I love that description.

Bruinswillwin77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 883
#BostonStrong

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
Leafs

Woops habs board
This deserves a nod for making me laugh.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post

Tried to vote, couldn't.
Funny, I see it as the opposite.

Boston's the evil twin brother who you grow up with, measure yourself against and compete with your entire life. But when the chips are down, the brothers circle the wagons and have each other's backs. The psycho neighbour in Toronto tries to wedge himself between us, we remind him that he's got decades to go before he can match the brothers' rivalry. Real life intrudes with a horrific terrorist act, and practically every Habs fab was reaching out to their rivalry brother in Boston. Yeah, we hate each other, but it's a private family hate that we take pride in, and have exalted into legend.

Boston and Montreal are an epic blockbuster. The Leafs are a bad action flic with good marketing.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

People should think of this....always better to NOT be the last of the rivalry as far as having success is concerned. Not gonna happen...but let say if the Leafs reaches the 3rd round....we still would not stop hearing the end of it. If Boston wins and go far, well they will be that rival that is doing well....but at least we can still laugh at Toronto. With Boston Cup and then Leafs doing well and building a strong team....we'd be the laughing stock once again with really nobody to laugh at....nobody we LOVE laughing at really....Ottawa doesn't really count as our new rival that didn't accomplish anything. Till Quebec comes back, our rivals are TO and Boston.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Doc McKenna

Agreed. I voted leafs even if I agree with some about the revolting media. I think I hate the non stop leaf nation garbage more than the team. Though the thuggery this year is getting into the philly, boston realm. Really I put my hate to the rags and flyers much higher than the leafs. A playoff round could change that very fast. Come next year we will be playing division rivals a lot more often. So one way or another we will hate the leafs going forward. Though our rivalary(forever rivals )with them pales compared to Habs Bruins. Might be one of the strongest in sports.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Bullsmith

For most of life, the choice would have been Boston, easily. But Julien's Bruins are a whole other level of hatred. They pollute the game AND then lecture the league about how to play hockey. Have not hated a team more, or the NHL more for protecting them, since the broad street bullies in their prime. And that's almost as long ago as the Leafs being cup finalists. So yeah, Bruins. ****ing hope they go down in 4 nomatter who they're playing. If they play the Leafs I will be bleeding blue and white from the first puck drop to the final whistle.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
For most of life, the choice would have been Boston, easily. But Julien's Bruins are a whole other level of hatred. They pollute the game AND then lecture the league about how to play hockey. Have not hated a team more, or the NHL more for protecting them, since the broad street bullies in their prime. And that's almost as long ago as the Leafs being cup finalists. So yeah, Bruins. ****ing hope they go down in 4 nomatter who they're playing. If they play the Leafs I will be bleeding blue and white from the first puck drop to the final whistle.
Hear Hear!

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

I'm slightly confused about the leafs fans who voted.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:44 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
If they somehow play each other, which one would you prefer root for to win for IF YOU HAD TO choose a side. Obviously, the 'Neither' option would be the most popular, that's why it's not in the choices. Which one do you ''hate'' less basically.
Laffs have been a joke since 1967. I don't buy the 'hate' for leafs. Yeah they are our traditional rivals, but except for them bumping us out of the PO a few years ago, and the Markov injury, they have done nothing else in 45 years to hurt the Habs.

While Boston is always in our face, gave us loads of problems in the seventies and later too, winning quite a few series against us. And then there's the *******s on the team, and Lurch almost killing Max, plus of course their cup.

Boston Hands down.

If we take second and Booins play Loafs, I hope they wreck each other, and we then smack Booins in second round.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:57 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
God, what a horrible choice. If you mean against each other, boston. But the word cheer would not be a way to describe my sentiments.

Let's first make this situation happen!
Yeah it's like choosing between Hitler and Stalin, you have to invite one of them to dinner: Which one.

And the Pens are Mao, the worst of all.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:58 PM
habtastic

The only saving grace of a Boston-Leafs series is that CBC loves both (thus they would HATE that series).
The fallout would be minimal if Boston won and if the Leafs won, they'd be mostly happier and the Leafs fans would unleash their childish and bipolar superiority complex. That's, as I said, a scenario that is manageable.

If the Leafs won against US, fuhgeddaboudit. People in North America would think Kim Jong Sun had launched his bb gun due to the explosion that would occur. Some here have no idea what happens when yeaaaars of suckitude are replaced by beating YOUR biggest rival and the team you are internally jealous of down to your roots, generation after generation. Yes, Boston is horrible, but we're kind of used to it. The fact that it was '67 when they beat us means mostly no once (except 81 year old Coolasprice) realizes the effect. Actually, winning back then would have little impact. The CBC, the media, the decades of buildup, everything you are going to experience no matter where you go if you live in Canada (and if you don't, just think of when you do follow the Habs in the seasons to come) will be worse than the apocalypse.

Imagine shaking a bottle of champagne and then popping the cork right into your eye.

Don't say I didn't warn you! (Although I sincerely hope everything that happens prevents this.) The best thing that could happen in the first round would be us stomping the leafs - not Laffs-bruins beating each other - they'd still say we would have taken you guys, blah blah. It would be like Wile E. Coyote setting a trap, snickering, and then....the fall off the cliff.

And yeah, it's more the fans and the media than the actual players, but that is what makes a rivalry, no?

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:08 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

I voted Toronto.. It's true that for the past month or so the fans are acting like they're an all-star dynasty, but, my hate for the Bruins knows no limit.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote