Notices

Mike Yeo Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

vCash: 500
Wait, so he's still here. If I was the GM I would have run into the locker room and told him to GTFO.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

About all I can say is wow just wow.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 738
Yeo needs to go. Right now. He needs to be fired this very minute. Fletcher has done everything he can to build thhe roster into something respectable and he has done that brilliantly. Yeo however is an anchor weighing this franchise down and quite possibly costing us all of that respect we got when we snagged Parise and Suter, and diminishing any hope of landing a quality free agent this summer because of this teams MASSIVE choke job down the stretch.

I thought last year was bad. I thought that was about as bad as it could get, but at least then you could see it coming, and there was time to go through the appropriate stages of greif. This one? No it comes down to the final ****ing game of the season, and the night before we had a chance to clinch against a creampuff team full of castoffs and rejects and we let them shoot 50% on us on their way to building a 6 goal lead!?!?! WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON??? This is the kind of performance that would get anyone laughed off the stage. The team didnt even deserve the boos tonight, as the team is a waste of vocal cord and lung stress at this point. Hell, this team is a waste of the strain on my fingers and keyboard right now as I write this.

We have the most talented roster in franchise history. BY FAR. We had a legitimate shot at the NW division title. We've had shot after shot after shot to choose where we wanted to end up this season and we consistently **** the bed against teams we should be curbstoming.

The only consistency in everything is Yeo's garbage grinder-forever system that he has forced upon players who are more than capable of playing something a lot more open, a lot faster, and a lot more defensively disciplined. Yeo doesnt even seem to know what the ****ing slot it. Our guys NEVER go there. We never try to open space, we never do anything except cycle along the corner until we get behind the net and throw that same pass out there that weve thrown out in every game this year. And People wonder why it never goes in? If its so simple a Chicago fan can pick it up by viewing one game, every coach in the league by now knows thats what you need to defend against. That ONE pass. That's our whole ****ing system!! That ONE ****ING PASS!!

This is unbelievable the level of sheer incompetence and stubborness. What is it called when you keep trying the same thing over and over and over expecting different results? Because thats what Yeo is. The prooff has long since been on the table that this grinder system DOESNT WORK and yet he persists in making us play it night in and night out like it's his ****ing religion!

During the Winning streak, we were winning because we were scoring goals. and why were we scoring goals? Because our guys were suddenly working outside of the system! They were carrying the puck in and shooting from good angles instead of dumping and chasing every ****ing time. They were doing a lot more than just cycling in the corner. They were actually doing things that made it so the opposing team had to defend against more than that one ****ing pass. but ever since the slide started, Yeo has tightened the ship up. OH NO, YOU CANT PLAY CREATIVE ANYMORE! No more carrying the puck in! dump it in and grind it out! Grind it out! GRIND IT OUT! We might as well rename our team to the Minnesota Flour Millers with all the GRINDING we're doing!

This joker needs to be shown the door and the sooner he does, the sooner this team recovers. I have very little doubt that if the wild were to fire Yeo on their way to the airport tonight and have some new coach meet them in Denver in the morning that the team would instantly be better, simply because it would be free of the constant demand tha it do nothing but grind.

Yeo has to ****ing go.

Remember that joke last year that winning games at the end of the year was costing us cups?

Well keeping Yeo around any longer could very well, legitmately cost us a shot at a Stanley cup in the future because of how much damage his shoddy system is doing to this team and the players ability to play the game to their strengths. A good coach adapts and finds ways to fit his players strengths in with the system. Yeo's system does the exact opposite and forsakes everyone strengths in favor of forcing everyone to grind grind grind. He's trying to force octagons, trapezoids, circles, triangles, rhombuses, and tetrahedrons through the square hole that only a grinder can fit through and it literally KILLING THIS TEAM.

All those injuries we are running around with. Those are the same kind of injuries expected of the usual grinder type players that are found at the bottom of a teams depth charts to fill in on those 4th lines that are there only for grit. But by playing every line like a 4th line, it causes everyone to take the samne wear and tear, and quite a bit more because most grinder lines only a get a couple minutes of ice a night, and we're playing the whole ****ing game in a grinding style!! Welcome to injury-town, population Minnesota Wild!

And what does all this **** do over the course of a compressed season such as this? It slows everyone down. It wears everyone out. Everyone is more exhausted than they have to be because of how hard they have to play every night while grinding it out. The players arent allowed to play smart, which requires a lot less energy than playing THAT hard. And because of that we come out in the third almost every game exhausted. Have any of you noticed that this year? Regardless of how many days off, we come out and we look TIRED in the third of almost every game, especially lately with the season dragging on everyone. This system of Yeo's does nothing but suck the life out of everyone on the team, and it's leading to things like blown leads late in games because were just too ****ing tired to grind anymore.

**** I could go on for hours about this now. Yeo is garbage and is costing this team a lot in the long term. No free agent of significance is going to want to come here while Yeo is in the cockpit.

The very best ending to this season at this point is one in which Yeo gets fired. We'll find out what happens tomorrow night, but regardless it is going to be ugly as hell. And if we lose and we miss the season, so be it! At least then there should be no way in hell we don't leave Yeo behind in Denver.

FIRE YEO

YEO MUST GO!!

Old
04-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Honest question, if the Wild miss the playoffs, are you guys still on board with the Pominville trade?

Old
04-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarick View Post
honest question, if the wild miss the playoffs, are you guys still on board with the pominville trade?
100%

Old
04-26-2013, 11:37 PM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If they miss the playoffs, Fletcher needs to go as well.
Burke and Ruff??

Old
04-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Holy crap I would have no idea what to think about Burke. It would either be awesome or terrible.

Edina native...

Old
04-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Honest question, if the Wild miss the playoffs, are you guys still on board with the Pominville trade?
Absolutely. He'll make us better next year, and we are going to need him since we probably wont be able to get any quality forwards to look at us without laughing thanks to the bang-up job Yeo has done banging us up.

And under a different coach, with a proper training camp, and a system that can actually play offense, I bet we get to finally see him really shine.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:39 PM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
100%
This. You can't predict a cheap shot that took him out. It was the right move

Old
04-26-2013, 11:43 PM
kfan22

Quote:
Holy crap I would have no idea what to think about Burke. It would either be awesome or terrible.

Edina native...

I think Fletcher has a done a great job for the most part except for his coaching hires And maybe now you can say he fired Richards to early

Old
04-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
I think Fletcher has a done a great job for the most part except for his coaching hires And maybe now you can say he fired Richards to early
I think we should wait and see if they make it to the post season, and then see if Bob cools off anytime soon. Then we'll get to see if its the team or the goalie.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:57 PM
57special

vCash: 335
I've not been a proponent of firing Yeo in the past because I thought he did a good job with poor talent. He now has good talent and is not making good use of it. He is in love with dumbed down "Canadian" hockey, with endless dumping of the puck into the zone and cycling along the boards. I see little use of the middle of the ice, or good opportunities created out of odd man rushes. He is trying to turn all his players into grinders.... Some to their credit, are doing a good job of it(Parise, Coyle), others, not so much (Seto, Pominville, Granlund, Zucker, PMB), still others who should be flourishing in this system are playing like turds(Brodz, Clutter).

what is disturbing is that this grind it out style has not been accompanied by tight D play. We are not anywhere near the defensive team that we were when Jacques ran the team. We have been relying on a couple of Uber talented D men and a really good goalie, and they are getting worn down. As a consequence, when we need it most, our D is being shown to be porous rather than stingy, and our offence plodding rather than skilled.

I'm on board with any system that produces wins, but right now the Dao of Yeo is looking mediocre. Even if they do make the playoffs, does anyone seriously expect them to win a series unless Backs plays out of his mind?

Old
04-27-2013, 12:05 AM
MrWangz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Yeo needs to go. Right now. He needs to be fired this very minute. Fletcher has done everything he can to build thhe roster into something respectable and he has done that brilliantly. Yeo however is an anchor weighing this franchise down and quite possibly costing us all of that respect we got when we snagged Parise and Suter, and diminishing any hope of landing a quality free agent this summer because of this teams MASSIVE choke job down the stretch.

I thought last year was bad. I thought that was about as bad as it could get, but at least then you could see it coming, and there was time to go through the appropriate stages of greif. This one? No it comes down to the final ****ing game of the season, and the night before we had a chance to clinch against a creampuff team full of castoffs and rejects and we let them shoot 50% on us on their way to building a 6 goal lead!?!?! WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON??? This is the kind of performance that would get anyone laughed off the stage. The team didnt even deserve the boos tonight, as the team is a waste of vocal cord and lung stress at this point. Hell, this team is a waste of the strain on my fingers and keyboard right now as I write this.

We have the most talented roster in franchise history. BY FAR. We had a legitimate shot at the NW division title. We've had shot after shot after shot to choose where we wanted to end up this season and we consistently **** the bed against teams we should be curbstoming.

The only consistency in everything is Yeo's garbage grinder-forever system that he has forced upon players who are more than capable of playing something a lot more open, a lot faster, and a lot more defensively disciplined. Yeo doesnt even seem to know what the ****ing slot it. Our guys NEVER go there. We never try to open space, we never do anything except cycle along the corner until we get behind the net and throw that same pass out there that weve thrown out in every game this year. And People wonder why it never goes in? If its so simple a Chicago fan can pick it up by viewing one game, every coach in the league by now knows thats what you need to defend against. That ONE pass. That's our whole ****ing system!! That ONE ****ING PASS!!

This is unbelievable the level of sheer incompetence and stubborness. What is it called when you keep trying the same thing over and over and over expecting different results? Because thats what Yeo is. The prooff has long since been on the table that this grinder system DOESNT WORK and yet he persists in making us play it night in and night out like it's his ****ing religion!

During the Winning streak, we were winning because we were scoring goals. and why were we scoring goals? Because our guys were suddenly working outside of the system! They were carrying the puck in and shooting from good angles instead of dumping and chasing every ****ing time. They were doing a lot more than just cycling in the corner. They were actually doing things that made it so the opposing team had to defend against more than that one ****ing pass. but ever since the slide started, Yeo has tightened the ship up. OH NO, YOU CANT PLAY CREATIVE ANYMORE! No more carrying the puck in! dump it in and grind it out! Grind it out! GRIND IT OUT! We might as well rename our team to the Minnesota Flour Millers with all the GRINDING we're doing!

This joker needs to be shown the door and the sooner he does, the sooner this team recovers. I have very little doubt that if the wild were to fire Yeo on their way to the airport tonight and have some new coach meet them in Denver in the morning that the team would instantly be better, simply because it would be free of the constant demand tha it do nothing but grind.

Yeo has to ****ing go.

Remember that joke last year that winning games at the end of the year was costing us cups?

Well keeping Yeo around any longer could very well, legitmately cost us a shot at a Stanley cup in the future because of how much damage his shoddy system is doing to this team and the players ability to play the game to their strengths. A good coach adapts and finds ways to fit his players strengths in with the system. Yeo's system does the exact opposite and forsakes everyone strengths in favor of forcing everyone to grind grind grind. He's trying to force octagons, trapezoids, circles, triangles, rhombuses, and tetrahedrons through the square hole that only a grinder can fit through and it literally KILLING THIS TEAM.

All those injuries we are running around with. Those are the same kind of injuries expected of the usual grinder type players that are found at the bottom of a teams depth charts to fill in on those 4th lines that are there only for grit. But by playing every line like a 4th line, it causes everyone to take the samne wear and tear, and quite a bit more because most grinder lines only a get a couple minutes of ice a night, and we're playing the whole ****ing game in a grinding style!! Welcome to injury-town, population Minnesota Wild!

And what does all this **** do over the course of a compressed season such as this? It slows everyone down. It wears everyone out. Everyone is more exhausted than they have to be because of how hard they have to play every night while grinding it out. The players arent allowed to play smart, which requires a lot less energy than playing THAT hard. And because of that we come out in the third almost every game exhausted. Have any of you noticed that this year? Regardless of how many days off, we come out and we look TIRED in the third of almost every game, especially lately with the season dragging on everyone. This system of Yeo's does nothing but suck the life out of everyone on the team, and it's leading to things like blown leads late in games because were just too ****ing tired to grind anymore.

**** I could go on for hours about this now. Yeo is garbage and is costing this team a lot in the long term. No free agent of significance is going to want to come here while Yeo is in the cockpit.

The very best ending to this season at this point is one in which Yeo gets fired. We'll find out what happens tomorrow night, but regardless it is going to be ugly as hell. And if we lose and we miss the season, so be it! At least then there should be no way in hell we don't leave Yeo behind in Denver.

FIRE YEO

YEO MUST GO!!
Amazing speech.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:36 AM
sushinsky4tsar

I'm pretty sure that the Coyotes and Stars would be ahead of us in the standings if we swapped places with them in the Pacific.

In the Midwest division, we would not control our own destiny going in to the final game of the season. Detroit would be in with a win and we would be out in the cold.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Coyotes and Stars would be ahead of us in the standings if we swapped places with them in the Pacific.

In the Midwest division, we would not control our own destiny going in to the final game of the season. Detroit would be in with a win and we would be out in the cold.
If we were in the Midwest division I have a feeling we wouldn't even be in the playoffs this year.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:44 AM
NugarifiK

vCash: 50
I agree. Yeo's gotta go.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:47 AM
OpRedDawn*

that's why im scared of joining the new division lol

On one hand, sure the higher competition should help us get better.

On the other hand, I wanna be in the worst division possible to have the best chance to make the playoffs.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:48 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
In a rarity tonight, owner Craig Leipold watched much of the game in the GM’s booth. Chuck Fletcher interestingly didn’t look to be in there. Leipold was pacing. When he spotted me looking at him, he just looked at me and shook his head in disgust.

Leipold has one of the highest payrolls in the NHL. He just spent $196 million on long-term contracts on two players. How will he respond if the Wild misses?
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/204967511.html

Old
04-27-2013, 01:17 AM
TheeNorthStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Good. As he should be.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:17 AM
melinko

I'm nervous about firing CF, he has added so much talent to this team is a relatively short period of time. His only weakness has been coaching hires and iffy trades.
Only person I would be comfortable replacing him with in Flahr, and even then there is a huge risk that it could backfire.

Yeo on the other hand has worn out his welcome really quick. This team looks identical to last year and I don't think you can call it a fluke anymore.

It's like Yeo's system requires so much effort the players just wear down after 30 games.

I have no idea who you replace him with though, can't see CF going with another rookie but I'm not all that confident in Ruff either.

Last edited by melinko: 04-27-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old
04-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
I'm scared about firing CF, only person I would be comfortable replacing him with in Flahr.

Yeo on the other hand has worn out his welcome really quick. This team looks identical to last year and I don't think you can call it a fluke anymore.

It's like Yeo's system requires so much effort the players just wear down after 30 games.

I have no idea who you replace him with though, can't see CF going with another rookie but I'm not all that confident in Ruff either.
It's like I said in my rant earlier. Yeo's system plays every line like a grinding line. The problem is that a proper grinding line only gets a couple minutes of ice time per game, and then even with that it starts to pile up injuries over the course of a full 82 game season.

Now, when you play the first line, which gets massive ice time, like a grinding line, game in and game out, it wears them down fast because of how much effort it takes to play a grinding game compared to pretty much anything else. I'm also willing to bet that all those hidden injuries we keep hearing about are attributed to the grinding style that Yeo is forcing the team to play.

I really hope Leipold is smart enough to know that it's Yeo and not Fletcher who is the problem. Yeo needs to go, but Fletcher is the architect who has built the foundation for this teams future success. I seriously doubt that once he fires Yeo, he will get a veteran like Ruff, or Tippett if he becomes available, or any other qualified coaches with actual systems.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:35 AM
melinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
It's like I said in my rant earlier. Yeo's system plays every line like a grinding line. The problem is that a proper grinding line only gets a couple minutes of ice time per game, and then even with that it starts to pile up injuries over the course of a full 82 game season.

Now, when you play the first line, which gets massive ice time, like a grinding line, game in and game out, it wears them down fast because of how much effort it takes to play a grinding game compared to pretty much anything else. I'm also willing to bet that all those hidden injuries we keep hearing about are attributed to the grinding style that Yeo is forcing the team to play.

I really hope Leipold is smart enough to know that it's Yeo and not Fletcher who is the problem. Yeo needs to go, but Fletcher is the architect who has built the foundation for this teams future success. I seriously doubt that once he fires Yeo, he will get a veteran like Ruff, or Tippett if he becomes available, or any other qualified coaches with actual systems.
One thing is for sure, its a scary to be in a situation where you fire coaches every 2 years.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:43 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
One thing is for sure, its a scary to be in a situation where you fire coaches every 2 years.
It's certainly not a winning one to keep firing coaches that much.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:44 AM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
It's certainly not a winning one to keep firing coaches that much.
The problem is its necessary at this point. Yeo really is dragging the team down. As much as I hate to see the head coaching position turn into a revolving door, we need to toss Yeo back outside. And this time we'll hopefully get a real coach.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:51 AM
Gaps

I still remain neutral on whether Yeo should go or not, but I think nights like this one show how inexperienced he is. First of all, he shouldn't have taken Krueger's bait by matching their 4th line with ours. Second of all, he should've taken the timeout earlier. And finally, when he decided to show emotion, it was by yelling at Edmonton's bench when it should've been directed at his own team and much earlier during the game at that.

Bäckström vacuuming in three out of five shots wasn't Yeo's fault, but that kind of a goalie failure affects every team in a very negative manner. They couldn't trust Bäckström anymore, and I can't blame them if they didn't trust Harding either. The guy hadn't played in over two months and suddenly he was thrown out there. It was the recipe for a disaster. Not saying Yeo didn't fail, but when the level of your goaltending is what it was tonight (see Eberle's goal from an impossible angle if you need a textbook example), rebounding would be hard if not impossible for any team. Call me crazy, but I think we could've turned it around if Bäckström had been pulled after letting in the first two goals and we'd had Kuemper there to replace him. I'm not trying to put the blame on Harding, but I think it would've been better to keep him out for the rest of the season, he obviously wasn't ready to play and that showed.

Yeo's system is another problem, but that's just one reason why we lost tonight. The system doesn't create quality scoring chances and handcuffs creativity. We have players and prospects who will never fit into that mold (Zucker, Granlund for example), so there are only a few options. Either a) Yeo adjusts his system to fit the players we have, b) We get rid of the players who don't fit the system and buy more grinders to replace them or c) Yeo goes and we get a coach whose system suits the team better (or is at least more flexible).

Last edited by Gaps: 04-27-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Closed Thread