HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

and the Calder goes to.... [UPDATE: Post #237 Nail Not Nominated]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2013, 11:36 PM
  #26
jukon
#Nailedit
 
jukon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,495
vCash: 500
I would vote for Brodin. Yakupov needs at least 3 points next game to be considered.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:38 PM
  #27
GreatKeith
Registered User
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
I would vote for Brodin. Yakupov needs at least 3 points next game to be considered.
I haven't followed the Wild at all this year.

Why does Brodin deserve it?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:39 PM
  #28
pocketful
"We'll see"
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
He may be tied for first in the race right now but where are his intangibles??

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:41 PM
  #29
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
yeah but he needs 200 hits, 200 shots, +20 +/- stat, and leadership qualities.

points really don't mean much to be honest.
Don't forget 30 intangibles and 50 leaderships.

Yakupov is classless and shouldn't be nominated because of it. Almost Subban-esque. Tarasenko is better than Yakupov because he's playing on a better team, as is Galchenyuk. Plus Galchenyuk is a much better player in every facet of the game. The only reason Yakupov has more points is because Galchenyuk isn't rewarded with powerplay time for his 1 point in 40 power play minutes. Brendan Gallagher and Brandon Saad for god!

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:53 PM
  #30
oilers4life5
Registered User
 
oilers4life5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Champions
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,337
vCash: 500
I think Brodin will win. Would love Yak to win!

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:04 AM
  #31
OilCity99
Registered User
 
OilCity99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
a lot of replys indicating he doesn't stand a chance due to the east coast repoter bias. this basically is insinuating that unless you run away with it in the west you wont win due to the disproprtionate amount of repoters voting from the east. does anyone know what the history of calder winners is East vs. West? just curious.

OilCity99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:16 AM
  #32
Hynh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCity99 View Post
a lot of replys indicating he doesn't stand a chance due to the east coast repoter bias. this basically is insinuating that unless you run away with it in the west you wont win due to the disproprtionate amount of repoters voting from the east. does anyone know what the history of calder winners is East vs. West? just curious.
7 westerners in the past 20 years, only three (Landeskog, Nabokov, Drury) that are in mountain or pacific time.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:22 AM
  #33
OilCity99
Registered User
 
OilCity99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
7 westerners in the past 20 years, only three (Landeskog, Nabokov, Drury) that are in mountain or pacific time.
interesting, thanks Hynh.
certanly not as lobsided as i had expeced from some of the earlier replys

OilCity99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:45 AM
  #34
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,941
vCash: 500
and the calder goes to... not Yak Oiler players have a hate bias around league thats a given.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:42 AM
  #35
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down
 
oilers2k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Don't forget 30 intangibles and 50 leaderships.

Yakupov is classless and shouldn't be nominated because of it. Almost Subban-esque. Tarasenko is better than Yakupov because he's playing on a better team, as is Galchenyuk. Plus Galchenyuk is a much better player in every facet of the game. The only reason Yakupov has more points is because Galchenyuk isn't rewarded with powerplay time for his 1 point in 40 power play minutes. Brendan Gallagher and Brandon Saad for god!
Plus Yakupov isn't the big second line Center we NEEEEED! Galchenyuk should win on that ALONE!

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:38 AM
  #36
Nail and Nuge
Registered User
 
Nail and Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Yakupov has made a very impressive in the past month. I think the fact that he has made his late surge in the face of a massive losing streak is fantastic.

Unfortunately this push is too late and too many voters had their minds made up.

We love you Yak!!

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:48 AM
  #37
Jepprey
Creeper
 
Jepprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
Yakupov has made a very impressive in the past month. I think the fact that he has made his late surge in the face of a massive losing streak is fantastic.

Unfortunately this push is too late and too many voters had their minds made up.

We love you Yak!!
Huberdeau got it locked up because he has a lot of shots on goal.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:27 AM
  #38
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
No chance he wins the Calder

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:34 AM
  #39
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Oiler rookies can't win Calders.
Didn't they change that in the new CBA?

OiledUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:24 AM
  #40
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
I would vote for Brodin. Yakupov needs at least 3 points next game to be considered.
Brodin doesn't deserve it. His partner for most of the year has been Ryan Suter. And Jake Muzzin on the Kings is out performing him.

Underwhelmed.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:40 AM
  #41
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,463
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
No chance he wins the Calder
Ya, I agree unfortunately.

I can just imagine the ridiculous justifications people will come up with if he ends up leading in scoring... It's just too bad Yak doesn't have +15 Landeskogian intangibles

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:46 AM
  #42
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
Yak could get 3 points tonight and the other leaders nothing and he'd still lose.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:50 AM
  #43
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Yak could get 3 points tonight and the other leaders nothing and he'd still lose.
He wont even be a finalist. Which I'm fine with. Gallagher or Saad seem like great choices this year.

Huberdeau likely winning is a bit of a joke though. He has in no way had a better season than Yakupov. Exact same point totals (watch Huberdeau get 4 goals to shut me up tongiht lol) and Yakupov has the better +/-.

Neither should win it this year though. I really like Yakupov for sure, but his rookie year has not been as impressive as Hall or RNH's were. His season just doesn't scream rookie of the year to me. It is a bit of an underwhelming class to be honest.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:55 AM
  #44
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,572
vCash: 6964
Here is the point in the season where Yakupov took himself out of the running for the Calder.



No Oiler is going to win rookie of the year.

Luckily the Hockey Gods feel this is an unfair bias and will see to it that Edmonton gets first pick overall in the 2013 draft in New Jersey.

"All of your first rounders are belong to us!"

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:56 AM
  #45
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
When you start dissecting Nail's season, its pretty impressive...

Game tying goal against LA amid high drama.
GWG against Phoenix.
5 Power play goals.
Multiple 2 goal nights.
Shooting at almost 19%
An impressive increase in defensive play, and 5 on 5 play over all.
Also displayed some impressive play making ability and good vision all over the ice.
And no backing away from the physical play either, every time Yaks is on the ice, you know.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:00 PM
  #46
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,463
vCash: 1026
You bring up an interesting point Groucho. Let's pretend its not Yakupov, or even the Oilers. Shouldn't those high profile game tying/winning goals be increasing his chances?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:02 PM
  #47
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
When you start dissecting Nail's season, its pretty impressive...

Game tying goal against LA amid high drama.
GWG against Phoenix.
5 Power play goals.
Multiple 2 goal nights.
Shooting at almost 19%
An impressive increase in defensive play, and 5 on 5 play over all.
Also displayed some impressive play making ability and good vision all over the ice.
And no backing away from the physical play either, every time Yaks is on the ice, you know.
Plus, a hatty tonight! If he gets a hatty tonight they should give him the trophy after the game.

nando2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:05 PM
  #48
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,648
vCash: 500
If any rookies leads the league in goals and points, it would be an embarrassment if they didn't win. Kind of like being tied for the lead in points while playing 20 less games...

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:05 PM
  #49
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
You bring up an interesting point Groucho. Let's pretend its not Yakupov, or even the Oilers. Shouldn't those high profile game tying/winning goals be increasing his chances?
If Yakupov had done that in the east it would be a lock. Not even close.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:15 PM
  #50
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
IMO he can score about 35 goals next year

nando2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.