HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending Future

Old
04-26-2013, 02:32 PM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I think Poulin proved a lot last night. Though they lost, he gave them a good chance to win. His last two starts were very solid. This has to give him confidence for the future.

Last 2 starts.

Wins Loss Gaa Save percentage.
1 1 2.03 .927

This is more like the Poulin of 2010-11. I have high hopes for him and Nilsson as our goalies of the future.

Plus, if he gets 30-35 starts next season (If Nabby re-signs), I think he can be even better than his last 2 starts. Goalies need to play more often than every 2 weeks to stay consistent.
The team has to adjust too much for him. His rebound control is attrocious. Last loss was not his fault, he was good enough, but generally speaking he has a big hole in his complete game.

I am with Redbull. Until we get our goalting prodigy, go with proven consistent vets.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Poliz24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
plays like sizzling bacon, lightning fast. Real charmer and quite the looker.
Don't forget bones, muscles and ligaments made out of ice cream!

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:04 PM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'd consider drafting Fucale with our 1st now that it seems we'll be picking in the bottom 3rd. Re-sign Nabby for another year. After that, we can either go with one of our young guys Poulin/Nilsson, or go after a UFA. Some of the names set to be on the market after the 13-14 season are Hiller, Miller, Kiprusoff, Crawford, Giguere, Vokoun, Halak, Elliot, and of course Lundqvist. Obviously most of these guys will be locked up by that time, but chances are a couple will sneak through to UFA. Depending on who they are, we could either get our long term answer or a solid stop-gap until Fucale is ready.

Best case scenario though would be one of Poulin/Nilsson establishing themselves next year as Nabby's backup.
I've got a gut feeling we will draft Fucale, but I think he may go higher than expected. Many teams looking for better goaltending for their future.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:23 PM
DktrFaustus

fucale seems like a while away. i would like someone young, but realistically in net in 2-3 years.

DktrFaustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:34 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I think Snow brings back Nabokov, as long as he is willing to sign for the right price. Snow seems to be pretty loyal to his players, and I think he wants the team to keep moving in the direction it has, not shake things up.

That said, I hope he goes after Bernier. I don't think he will, but I hope. If Poulin continues to develop, too many goalies is a problem I wouldn't mind having. I hope we have too many players at every position in a couple of years.
Right price? That's how you repay the goalie that brought the isles to the playoffs in 7 years and essentially stopped the DP charade.

Nabby should be brought back on a 2 year deal at fair market value

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:21 PM
TROLLPOSO
Brian Strait SUCKS!

We get Bernier, I buy his jersey the next day. Well worth the 1st rounder plus it would cost. The Kings and Isles are ideal for this kind of deal. Get it done Garth!

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:23 PM
SpeedDemon

The Isles currently have the rights to Thomas. Not sure if the contract was tolled along with the trade (I know the Bruins tolled it). If he signs I'm sure the Isles goal problems have an immediate solution.

I'd be more worried about a potential early playoff exit. There's no way the Rags and Sens lose in regulation (especially twice for the Sens)

my prediction
Game 1- Pens 6- Isles 1
Game 2 Pens 6- Isles 0
Game 3 Pens 5 Isles 0
Game 4 Pens 7 Isles 1

getting into the playoffs just bomb out in first four games is pathetic

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:34 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
The Isles currently have the rights to Thomas. Not sure if the contract was tolled along with the trade (I know the Bruins tolled it). If he signs I'm sure the Isles goal problems have an immediate solution.
Thomas is already signed. He has a contract with us.

The question is whether or not he wants to play in the NHL again.

Quote:
I'd be more worried about a potential early playoff exit. There's no way the Rags and Sens lose in regulation (especially twice for the Sens)

my prediction
Game 1- Pens 6- Isles 1
Game 2 Pens 6- Isles 0
Game 3 Pens 5 Isles 0
Game 4 Pens 7 Isles 1

So you think we'll get swept by Pittsburgh and outscored 24-2 in the series?

Tell you what.. if we get outscored by 22 goals, I'll never post here ever again.. but if we don't get outscored by 22 goals - from now on you promise to re-read everything you type twice before submitting your posts..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:01 PM
RMimagery

Quote:

my prediction
Game 1- Pens 6- Isles 1
Game 2 Pens 6- Isles 0
Game 3 Pens 5 Isles 0
Game 4 Pens 7 Isles 1

Tired of the negative posts, talk about pathetic.

Devils can beat the Rangers in regulation. They're an angry team and the Rangers are the ones who eliminated them.

So the Pens will sweep the Isles and outscore them 24-2 huh... hope you don't watch with your negative energy if that's the matchup, sheesh.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:14 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
Thomas is already signed. He has a contract with us.

The question is whether or not he wants to play in the NHL again.
If I am not mistaken Thomas is signed until the end of this season. I know the Bruins tolled his contract. The question is does that toll automatically transfer over to the Isles or if the Isles tolled it separately.

True there's the issue if he wants to return I'm wondering what happens if he does (last I heard he wanted to take a year off not take a year off and then decide his options)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
So you think we'll get swept by Pittsburgh and outscored 24-2 in the series?

Tell you what.. if we get outscored by 22 goals, I'll never post here ever again.. but if we don't get outscored by 22 goals - from now on you promise to re-read everything you type twice before submitting your posts..
The Isles aren't going to score more than 2 a game on Fleury- I have a gut feeling. The Pens beat the Isles with 3 or 4 regulars out of the line up. Imagine what would the result be against a souped up Penguins team. I hear Crosby could be back for game one

If the Isles win at least one game I'll keep my posts restricted to the Predators thread when it comes to teams.

the Isles choose a poor time to start to stumble. They peaked out sometime during the Capitals game. It's bad form to start losing games at the end of the season. scoring 2 goals in two games and being gifted on both of them. doesn't really spell inspiration. That and their track record against the Penguins I'd say they have their work cut out for 'em.

every way I look at it they're not going to score more than 2 and are going to give up at least 4. Unless they pull off a Swiss maneuver from 2 Olympics ago. considering the potential wild cards and x-factors I get my overblown way out of proportion numbers

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:44 PM
islesfan186
YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Johnathan ****ing bernier.

1st and a 3rd at the draft. DO IT SNOW!
I've been on the Bernier wagon for MONTHS! dude wants out of LA. Has great #'s, he's young and has shown he can be a good goalie in the NHL.

islesfan186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:56 AM
JeffNYI

Quote:
If I am not mistaken Thomas is signed until the end of this season. I know the Bruins tolled his contract. The question is does that toll automatically transfer over to the Isles or if the Isles tolled it separately.

True there's the issue if he wants to return I'm wondering what happens if he does (last I heard he wanted to take a year off not take a year off and then decide his options)
The contract can be tolled in to perpetuity.. But the NHL has said the cap hit cannot be tolled any further.

Which makes sense..

If all a player had to do was sit out a season to have their contract nullified, that would create a terrible scenario... and at the same time, teams are not able to carry the cap hit year after year just to circumvent the cap floor..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote