HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#48 - 04/27/2013 | New Jersey Devils @ New York Rangers | 3:00 PM - NBC

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-27-2013, 07:55 AM
  #76
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
I think hank should certainly start but I do see why some may call for biron and if they did give him the go I do no know that I would be totally concerned. For the most part I have always trusted our back up.

It's a tough decision to make.
I trust our backup for a random game against an average opponent. Not in a best of 7 series against a top 3 seed. We'll have to agree to disagree, as I don't think it's a difficult decision at all. If our playoff position was set I'd be all over giving Hank and some other guys a day off. But it's not. We likely won't play again until Wednesday (assuming Boston is our opponent) so Hank can relax on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. That's more than enough time to be fully rested for the post season. JMHO.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:09 AM
  #77
Nac Mac Feegle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,167
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I trust our backup for a random game against an average opponent. Not in a best of 7 series against a top 3 seed. We'll have to agree to disagree, as I don't think it's a difficult decision at all. If our playoff position was set I'd be all over giving Hank and some other guys a day off. But it's not. We likely won't play again until Wednesday (assuming Boston is our opponent) so Hank can relax on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. That's more than enough time to be fully rested for the post season. JMHO.
You're missing the other half of the equation.

Hank will be rested, but Biron will be a skinny little rustball come playoff time.

Let's face it, everyone knows the Rangers live and die with Lundqvist. Add in the Pens with a skuzzball like Cooke, or the Bruins with a roster full of bullies, and you have the potential for the King to get banged up. If that happens, you want the confidence to know you can put Biron in there for a period, or half a game, or a full game if need be.

After seeing some of the headhunting going on in the past two seasons, I wouldn't rule anything out anymore.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:21 AM
  #78
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
You're missing the other half of the equation.

Hank will be rested, but Biron will be a skinny little rustball come playoff time.

Let's face it, everyone knows the Rangers live and die with Lundqvist. Add in the Pens with a skuzzball like Cooke, or the Bruins with a roster full of bullies, and you have the potential for the King to get banged up. If that happens, you want the confidence to know you can put Biron in there for a period, or half a game, or a full game if need be.

After seeing some of the headhunting going on in the past two seasons, I wouldn't rule anything out anymore.
So you are suggesting that we should play Biron today (hurting our chances of a higher seed, which would likely result in a far less favorable matchup against the best team in the conference) so that he's more prepared to play in the event our starter goes down? I just can't agree with that. If Hank gets injured we're stuck with Martin regardless. It's his job to be ready at a moment's notice. That responsibility comes with being a backup. And I'm pretty comfortable saying that his playing one final regular season game today will have virtually no impact on his performance as an emergency fill in a week or month from now should we lose Henrik. We know what Biron is going to give us and while he's ok, he's no Henrik. I'm not pinning my playoff hopes on how sharp he'll be if he's forced into action. Bottom line is you play to win the game at hand if it's a must win...and I see today's game as such.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:26 AM
  #79
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,026
vCash: 500
Rangers need to win this game. Winning the 6th seed could mean home ice in the 2nd round if there are upsets.

You always want to finish as high as you can.

There is practically no chance the Rangers beat Pittsburgh. Take it from Mr. Conductor.

GWOW is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:28 AM
  #80
zelrio*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i dont know... i want Biron to play but play the hot goalie... Lundqvist is on right now.. id keep him in there..
.857 and .867 save% against the Hurricanes and Panthers respectively. Maybe he needs a break.

zelrio* is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:30 AM
  #81
JD123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So you are suggesting that we should play Biron today (hurting our chances of a higher seed, which would likely result in a far less favorable matchup against the best team in the conference) so that he's more prepared to play in the event our starter goes down? I just can't agree with that. If Hank gets injured we're stuck with Martin regardless. It's his job to be ready at a moment's notice. That responsibility comes with being a backup. And I'm pretty comfortable saying that his playing one final regular season game today will have virtually no impact on his performance as an emergency fill in a week or month from now should we lose Henrik. We know what Biron is going to give us and while he's ok, he's no Henrik. I'm not pinning my playoff hopes on how sharp he'll be if he's forced into action. Bottom line is you play to win the game at hand if it's a must win...and I see today's game as such.
Couldn't agree more. I don't get some of the overconfidence if we get the Pens. Do we realize what they will do to our penalty kill. You know they will get 4-6 powerplays per game and most likely bury 2 of those. If our special teams were on par with them we could have a slight chance to beat them in 7, but how can we win when we never score a powerplay goal when it matters and they likely will score many powerplay goals!
Not that the Caps, Bruins or Canadiens would be easy, but our chances would be much greater. Its imperative to get at least a point today.

JD123 is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:32 AM
  #82
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfSeanAvery View Post
.857 and .867 save% against the Hurricanes and Panthers respectively. Maybe he needs a break.
Did you see the goals he gave up? Last game there were 2 odd man rushes and a pp goal. But of course people like to put all the blame on Hank.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:36 AM
  #83
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Did you see the goals he gave up? Last game there were 2 odd man rushes and a pp goal. But of course people like to put all the blame on Hank.
Have you forgotten those games where he also was able to make those kind of saves? Look at the 2nd game against the Hurricanes. When Lundqvist is on, the man is a brick wall. Deflections, odd man rushes, point blank shots, he can stop.

These past few games, he has looked human.

ImIdaho is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:41 AM
  #84
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,005
vCash: 500
Its important the Rangers avoid 8th and Pittsburgh. The Penguins can't host a home game on Tuesday. They have a concert in their building. If the Rangers play Henrik and don't gain a point,Henrik will have an extra day of rest. Pittsburgh will open on Wednesday. Biron has a lot of rust of him.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:44 AM
  #85
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Have you forgotten those games where he also was able to make those kind of saves? Look at the 2nd game against the Hurricanes. When Lundqvist is on, the man is a brick wall. Deflections, odd man rushes, point blank shots, he can stop.

These past few games, he has looked human.
I also saw him make some ridiculous saves these past few games. But when your defense craps the bed and Hank gives up a few we overlook the gems.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:48 AM
  #86
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,514
vCash: 500
Please win. Pretty please?

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:51 AM
  #87
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I also saw him make some ridiculous saves these past few games. But when your defense craps the bed and Hank gives up a few we overlook the gems.
More goals going in than a few gemstone saves will do that, especially when he has proven in the past he can stand on his head multiple times.

ImIdaho is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:54 AM
  #88
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
More goals going in than a few gemstone saves will do that, especially when he has proven in the past he can stand on his head multiple times.
Not going to argue with you. Just curious, in the last game which of the Carolina goals should he have stopped?

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:55 AM
  #89
RangersChamps2417
Registered User
 
RangersChamps2417's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
LGR get the two points and at least clinch 7th. I think we'd have a good shot at 6 too

RangersChamps2417 is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:56 AM
  #90
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not going to argue with you. Just curious, in the last game which of the Carolina goals should he have stopped?
Guy, why are you omitting his second game against the Hurricanes? Did he not stop a barrage of shots?

Hell, the last game we played against the Islanders.

That's Lundqvist playing at his best. These past few games, again, he has looked human.

ImIdaho is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 08:58 AM
  #91
Idlerlee
Always play Richards
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,475
vCash: 50
Just pray that we avoid injuries going into the playoffs..

But I have a good feeling that Nash will shake of whatever his been keeping him from playing acceptable hockey the past two games and shine in this one.

Also, we should be playing Hank, he's a experienced guy that knows whats up. He'll bring his A game for this one.

Because as far as the playoffs are concerned, this match is just as important as the hurricanes game

Idlerlee is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 09:02 AM
  #92
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Guy, why are you omitting his second game against the Hurricanes? Did he not stop a barrage of shots?

Hell, the last game we played against the Islanders.

That's Lundqvist playing at his best. These past few games, again, he has looked human.
Answer my question first please.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 09:07 AM
  #93
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Answer my question first please.
2nd and 3rd goals. Was down on the second one a bit too early and out of position on the 3rd one.

ImIdaho is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 09:23 AM
  #94
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
NHRangerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
You do realise there's a very good chance the Rangers will beat the Devils tomorrow no matter who is in nets, right? The guys are on a high right now and the Devils just want to end the season already. This is pretty much a guaranteed 2 points.
Disagree...playing pretty much every game since the deadline as if they are elimination games, this has emotional let down game written all over it. Part of the problem of clinching so late...a let down today would be a natural reaction to the elimination of the pressure of having to clinch.

NHRangerfan is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 09:23 AM
  #95
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
2nd and 3rd goals. Was down on the second one a bit too early and out of position on the 3rd one.
Ok, we'll agree to disagree. Think you need to re-watch the goals. He didn't go down on the 2nd goal until the shot was practically in the net. And on the 3rd goal he was definitely in position, out of the net to cut off the angle on the shooter who ripped a perfect shot top corner. Honestly don't see how you can put these on Hank. Could he have made the save on either, perhaps. But even the lowly canes have some good shooters who can beat a world class goalie if left undefended.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...=sb:highlights

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 09:28 AM
  #96
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
NHRangerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfSeanAvery View Post
.857 and .867 save% against the Hurricanes and Panthers respectively. Maybe he needs a break.
Didn't see either game due to business travel, but weren't the Canes goals all odd man rushes against?

NHRangerfan is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 09:33 AM
  #97
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Ok, we'll agree to disagree. Think you need to re-watch the goals. He didn't go down on the 2nd goal until the shot was practically in the net. And on the 3rd goal he was definitely in position, out of the net to cut off the angle on the shooter who ripped a perfect shot top corner. Honestly don't see how you can put these on Hank. Could he have made the save on either, perhaps. But even the lowly canes have some good shooters who can beat a world class goalie if left undefended.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...=sb:highlights
He goes down because he thinks the shot is going 5 hole. If Lundqvist didn't go too far out on the 3rd goal, he has a better chance at making the save.

Oh, and:






ImIdaho is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 09:34 AM
  #98
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
It ensures Hank doesn't get hurt today.
This.

For arguments sake... Hank gets hit, or pulls something (GOD FORBID) in a game we don't need to win.

He's out for at least the 1st rd.

What are people, including Torts supporters, saying?

Is that a story? Does ESPN have it on Sportscenter?

You bet. It would be the dumbest thing ever.

Biron is playing IMO

Riche16 is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 09:40 AM
  #99
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
He goes down because he thinks the shot is going 5 hole. If Lundqvist didn't go too far out on the 3rd goal, he has a better chance at making the save.
How would Hank have a better chance at saving a top corner shot by being further back in his net?

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 09:52 AM
  #100
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 17,899
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
People under estimating how meaningful this game is.

I truly feel like we're 9th right now. Pittsburgh is that scary.

Fire Sather is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.