HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Prospect Index 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 12:54 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
The championship winning goal ends up being a soft dump in from the blue line.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:01 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Congrats to Armia and Assat! Awesome way to end the season.

I assume he gets a look with Team Finland now? Would love to see him help Rochester out in the playoffs.

Either route he'll end up with good experience.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:28 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
I assume he gets a look with Team Finland now? Would love to see him help Rochester out in the playoffs.
IMO won't make the national team, management has a way of favouring certain players year after year (that are ****) and they rarely take kids along for the ride. Granlund and Vatanen have been the rare exceptions during the last few years.

And this isn't a knock on Armia at all, just the way how Kurri & his staff handle things.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735
Have to keep it short, tears, you know.

Sucks I'm going to work tomorrow, but wow.

I'm not going to say anything about Armia. They won.

Been nice reporting Joels doings for you guys. Hope to see a lot of your thoughts on his play in the future.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:33 PM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post

Been nice reporting Joels doings for you guys. Hope to see a lot of your thoughts on his play in the future.
Congratulations, you're feeling something many of us haven't had the pleasure to experience!

Thank you very much for putting the time into writing your Armia observations online for us, it is appreciated greatly. It's been a disappointing year for Buffalo fans, but the updates on Armia have been one of my favorite parts of this forum.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Jacob582

Quote:

Thanks for the updates.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:51 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 213
Taken from a Detroit Red Wings press release that posted on their site a couple of weeks ago -

DETROIT – Red Wings general manager Ken Holland today announced that the Red Wings will once again host their annual NHL Prospects Tournament and Training Camp at the Centre ICE Arena in Traverse City, Mich., along with the Training Camp Golf Classic.

The NHL Prospects Tournament will include eight NHL teams playing four games per day for four days: Sept. 5, 6, 8 and 9. This will mark the 15th season of the tournament in Traverse City that has produced over 350 prospects who have gone on to play in the NHL. The eight teams scheduled to participate include the Red Wings, Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues.

For additional information including future on-sale dates for all Red Wings events in Traverse City and announcements of specific times of games and practice sessions, please call (231) 933-7465 or visit www.centreice.org.

LS: Not a shocker that the Sabres were invited back to this tournament. They are the defending champions after winning it in 2011. (Of course last years tournament was canceled due to the lockout.) Looks like the other six teams aside from the Red Wings and Sabres that were supposed to take part last year are also coming back.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 04-25-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old
04-25-2013, 03:57 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:

Many manly tears were shed after the win. I still can't believe it.

I loved how Armia played for the team this year and that's all I will say about him until I see him playing again.

Was very nice that you kept these lovely guys updated since I couldn't let go of the thread in the prospects-section after all. Was like a baby of mine.

Edit. I know this is OT, but I have to to mention that also Michael Ryan was absolutely fantastic. Had some tough times with a couple of injuries and then having a bunch of stuff happen there during the playoffs (wife had a child and then the Boston bombing). Was one of the guys that never gave up, was solid two-way player and scored a bunch of big goals for us.

Last edited by Juzmo: 04-25-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old
04-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Bob Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
Congrats to Armia and Assat! Awesome way to end the season.

In an interview he said that he is totally exhausted from the series and from the playoffs in general. He said he wouldn't have enough energy to battle anymore so he was very relieved that was he's last game of the season.

So there is no chance that Armia would come to Rochester for the AHL playoffs. Unfortunately. But oh boy it is great to hear that this kid gave everything he had for the team. I have always thought Armia would be that "one-dimensional sniper" who just floats around the ice but he has developed so much during this year. Especially in those areas that really really needs to get better.

If he shows something great in the training camp he should start the season in NHL. But if he struggles with the smaller rink and the faster tempo he should go straight to the AHL to find he's groove.

Eventhough Armia would be assigned to Rochesterin before the start of the season, I'm pretty sure he will develop to a very useful player to NHL level eventually. I wasn't so sure about it in the beginning of the season.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

So here's Pre-game of Game 6

Last minute, celebrations, interviews, all in Finnish, links to parts 2 and 3 in the description

Armia: "I couldn't have played another game"

"Thank God the series ended. I couldn't have played another game"

About what was said in the locker room in the 2nd intermission, after Ässät lost their 2-goal lead

"We simply decided we're not going to Tampere again"

About his teams sensational run in the latter half of the season

"We were a Team first and foremost. It does feel kinda weird, when you think about how we were 12th in the league at one point. If this was my last game in the spade-jersey for now, it couldn't have ended better"

About his transformation from a sniper to a 2-way player in the playoffs

"I had to contribute in some way, since I couldn't do anything else"

About the immediate future

"I'm not exactly sure what to expect, since I haven't been in these parties before. On Saturday I hope we see as much people wearing Aces jerseys and scarves as possible, make the town square really red."

Some pictures

In the papers (I bought them all this morning...) I don't find any Armia interviews, however, in all the player-by-player evaluation it's usually pointed out how little scoring he did, but his back-checking and defensive play in the playoffs and finals especially is praised everywhere.

Might be more if I find something interesting

EDIT: Armia sure knew where to hide in all the celebrations, I've found maybe 4 or 5 pictures with him in it...

Last edited by Qurpiz: 04-25-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old
04-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I'll try to put together a little Championship post, focusing on Armia, with links, interviews (I'll do some translatin'), videos, and such, now that I have some time
Thanks, that would be awesome!

Dev Camp... two months away.

04-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jackson View Post
In an interview he said that he is totally exhausted from the series and from the playoffs in general. He said he wouldn't have enough energy to battle anymore so he was very relieved that was he's last game of the season.

So there is no chance that Armia would come to Rochester for the AHL playoffs. Unfortunately. But oh boy it is great to hear that this kid gave everything he had for the team. I have always thought Armia would be that "one-dimensional sniper" who just floats around the ice but he has developed so much during this year. Especially in those areas that really really needs to get better.

If he shows something great in the training camp he should start the season in NHL. But if he struggles with the smaller rink and the faster tempo he should go straight to the AHL to find he's groove.

Eventhough Armia would be assigned to Rochesterin before the start of the season, I'm pretty sure he will develop to a very useful player to NHL level eventually. I wasn't so sure about it in the beginning of the season.
Not all that surprising, really. He's had a long year, what with his military service, coming over last summer to play in Lake Placid, World Juniors, a regular season, and then a full playoff. He probably hit the young-player wall, and now needs to recharge the batteries in advance of next season.

I'm very excited about him as a player. Easy to forget that the kid is still 19 years old.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Not all that surprising, really. He's had a long year, what with his military service, coming over last summer to play in Lake Placid, World Juniors, a regular season, and then a full playoff. He probably hit the young-player wall, and now needs to recharge the batteries in advance of next season.

I'm very excited about him as a player. Easy to forget that the kid is still 19 years old.
And don't forget about "boot camp" at Dev. camp last year.

Like Armia said, they were in 12th place. So surprising after hearing months ago that Armia would probably be in NA early since it looked very likely that Assat was not going to make the playoffs.

What a good experience for Armia. Great for learning and development.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:37 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:

In the papers (I bought them all this morning...) I don't find any Armia interviews, however, in all the player-by-player evaluation it's usually pointed out how little scoring he did, but his back-checking and defensive play in the playoffs and finals especially is praised everywhere.
I don't think this can be stressed enough. Elite shooter that still contributes when he's not putting up points? Yes please.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
I don't think this can be stressed enough. Elite shooter that still contributes when he's not putting up points? Yes please.
One more quote from Armia

http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekko...omaton-joukkue

"I'll need to change my Selänne-videos to Lehtinen-films, since I'm now a defensive forward"

Old
04-26-2013, 10:08 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
One more quote from Armia

http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekko...omaton-joukkue

"I'll need to change my Selänne-videos to Lehtinen-films, since I'm now a defensive forward"
I don't know if I like that at all..

Old
04-26-2013, 10:17 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I do know you're looking way too much into a random quote.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
His offensive ability isn't going anywhere. I love his respect for the defensive side of the game though.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:41 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
His offensive ability isn't going anywhere. I love his respect for the defensive side of the game though.
It's a thing of beauty to see him finally putting in the effort on the defensive side of the puck. Every scorer in the NHL, save for the super-elite, goes through slumps. I'm sure Armia will as well. But I love that he's learned how to contribute something to his team when the shots aren't going in for him. I think that's a big step forward for him. I can't wait to see how he looks in camp this summer/fall.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Tiiulicious
Rookie User

Quote:
That was said in jest by Joel to a reporter who has been ragging on him for the whole year for not being active enough in defense. That whole interview took place about half hour after the championship was decided and he was obviously in an euphoric state of mind.

I hope Armia gets his chance to show what he can do in Buffalo. He is a one-of-kind talent.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:54 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I do know you're looking way too much into a random quote.
Most likely Just finished finals, I've read into everything wayyy too much recently.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Pic of the crowd in the championship party

Old
04-27-2013, 11:37 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:

Did you get to go? I wanted to also add to the thank yous for the updates all season. Enjoy your championship!

Old
04-27-2013, 03:58 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:

Wow, did not know it was that serious over there. Cool!

Old
04-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

That's awesome! As others have said, thank you and to the other Finn posters who have kept us abreast of his development over the past few years. Greatly appreciated.

Closed Thread