HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Most likely buy-outs this summer

Old
04-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Tripod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
even if they buy out Briere, the Flyers are still screwed with the cap. Plus, they'll still have Bryzgalov nonsense to deal with....Timonen's contract is also killing them..not that I mind at all...
Go do some homework....Philly is fine with the cap. Briere will be bought out...no secret there. Bryz will get 1 more year then a decision that summer. And lol at the Timonen comment. What should the 4th highest scoring D-man in the league get? And Philly signed him to a 1 year extension this year at a slight lower cap hit next year. If they felt it was a bad contract, they could have let him walk this summer. Obviously they felt he was worth 1 more year.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

RJ Umberger

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Flukeshot
Hextall Activate!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
i know he isn't having a good season

but i think he is trade-able
Given the circumstances of this offseason most teams trying to shed contracts, I don't think Grabo is tradeable. It's a really bad contract for a subpar second liner. Buying him out would also send the message to Bozak that he's not worth 5+ either. A first line centre is the leafs version of a flyers goalie. Always finding the wrong one.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:09 AM
slappipappi

Chicago pretty much has to buy out Olesz and Montador, which will give them the cap space to keep their core and most of their complimentary players in place.

Vancouver has to move 2 of Luongo, Booth and Ballard to be able to field a team next year. Either trough trade with little salary coming back or, or buyouts.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:38 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Timonen's contract is also killing them..not that I mind at all...
wat
Most random Flyers related comment I've seen all year.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:

No way is Grabovski tradeable this summer. His contract is brutal, he is coming off a bad year and drop in the cap has teams trying to shed salary.

Method Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:53 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Given the circumstances of this offseason most teams trying to shed contracts, I don't think Grabo is tradeable. It's a really bad contract for a subpar second liner. Buying him out would also send the message to Bozak that he's not worth 5+ either. A first line centre is the leafs version of a flyers goalie. Always finding the wrong one.

You're off on every point.

The only reason why he's a sub-par 2nd liner is because he's having an off year. It's not like he was a sub-par 2nd line centre before this season. He's a good 2nd line C that's paid approx $1.5m more than he should be.

We don't need to send a message to guys - what is this 5th grade? That's so juvenile... like passing notes in class.

Here's the message: we are not signing you to a $5m/year contract. Done.

Lastly, the Flyers' search for a G is nothing like the Leafs. Did we sign Brad Richards to a ridiculous contract to have him grossly underwhelm this season? No. Flyers haven't had a reliable #1 since Hex in 1999; leafs haven't had a #1C since 2008. The Leafs have had plently of opportunity to acquire a #1C, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Philly Carter to Toronto for Kaberle + 1st, Kabs refused to waive
Columbus Carter to Toronto for Grabo and Schenn - leafs said no
Philly M Richards to Toronto for Kadri and Kulemin - Flyers said no
B Richards UFA signing, leafs didn't offer enough/ he was already going to NY
Z Parise leafs kicked tires like every other team, but like B Richards was set in his destination
Tim Connolly UFA signing
Wash Ribiero to Toronto but the price was too high

In interim we've simply stop-gapped with what we had, with the exception of Connolly, with whom it could be argued that he was never even expected to assume #1C duties but was more of a depth 2-3rd line C signing, which happened to not work out at all.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:05 AM
TorstenFrings
confirmed pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Lastly, the Flyers' search for a G is nothing like the Leafs. Did we sign Brad Richards to a ridiculous contract to have him grossly underwhelm this season? No. Flyers haven't had a reliable #1 since Hex in 1999; leafs haven't had a #1C since 2008. The Leafs have had plently of opportunity to acquire a #1C, but haven't pulled the trigger.
To be fair, the Brqad Richards part was not for a lack of trying.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:11 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Maybe Wang greenlights the buyout this summer, thinking the next owner will be footing the bill ?
He would still be paying less, than if he kept him buried in the minors, right?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:11 AM
The Hulk

Brewer or Malone are possibilities in Tampa.

The Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:15 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:

The only reason why he's a sub-par 2nd liner is because he's having an off year. It's not like he was a sub-par 2nd line centre before this season. He's a good 2nd line C that's paid approx $1.5m more than he should be.

We don't need to send a message to guys - what is this 5th grade? That's so juvenile... like passing notes in class.

Z Parise leafs kicked tires like every other team, but like B Richards was set in his destination
Tim Connolly UFA signing

In interim we've simply stop-gapped with what we had, with the exception of Connolly, with whom it could be argued that he was never even expected to assume #1C duties but was more of a depth 2-3rd line C signing, which happened to not work out at all.
Not sure why you are mentioning this, if to say that it's only 1.5 of an overpayment, go ahead and add 1.5 here and there to your other players contracts, it will add up over awhile...

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:

Not without Toronto holding salary. Even if Grabovski rebounds, he is overpaid. There aren't many teams willing to gamble that and those who are would treat it as doing you a favor.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:23 AM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Who gets bought out this summer?

Heatley (7.5 cap hit, 5.0x1 salary)
Havlat? (5.0 cap hit, 5.0x1,6.0x1 salary)
D. Jones? (4.0 cap hit, 4.0x3 salary)

Wouldnt be surprised to see Ryan Smyth (2.5 cap hit, 2.5x1 salary), Eric Belanger (1.75 cap hit, 1.25x1 salary), Ben Eager (1.1 cap hit, 1.2x1 salary) from Oilers
If Mac T is going to do bold moves as he said i think Horcoff gets bought out and we go after a younger bigger 2 way 3 C

McSuper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:27 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Not sure why you are mentioning this, if to say that it's only 1.5 of an overpayment, go ahead and add 1.5 here and there to your other players contracts, it will add up over awhile...
It should be obvious. I'm mentioning it because some people here seem to have 6-month amnesia and I'm trying to put Grabo's bad season in perspective. Yes, he's having a down year, but to call him a sub-par 2nd line centre with negative value is just absurd.

Your comment about 1.5 overpaid here and there is silly - teams are stacked with players whos contract values either exceed or surrender their actual values. You mean, you don't already know this? You add some, and you subtract some. Is Kadri worth just $1.7m this year? Of course not.

JayBo's making $6m a year - is he a $6m player? Did Calgary get 'negative' value for him?

Old
04-27-2013, 10:46 AM
CTU2fan

I don't think many of these players would be bought out. Why buy out a guy with a small contract? You're not saving much, might as well keep the player...and if you're determined to move him then he's probably moveable without wasting the amnesty.

And if a guy has any value at all it's silly to amnesty him. Grabo still has value, if the Leafs offered him around the league for a 7th or a non-prospect AHL guy somebody would bite. So why amnesty him?

The guys you amnesty are guys with big cap hits and NMC's who won't waive. So Danny Briere. And...? Komisarek I suppose. Can't really think of others right now.

I still think Heatley is tradeable if healthy.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:58 AM
mrinsane

kaberle and maybe gionta

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:12 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinsane View Post
kaberle and maybe gionta
Kaberle I understand but why Gionta? He leads the team in goals and has for every single year he has been healthy for.

People seem to think that teams are just going to buy out players who have slightly underpeformed or are struggling. That will not happen. Buyouts are for players that are absolutely useless like a Gomez, Kaberle, Komi, etc. You don't just buy out any contract from a player having a bad season.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
even if they buy out Briere, the Flyers are still screwed with the cap. Plus, they'll still have Bryzgalov nonsense to deal with....Timonen's contract is also killing them..not that I mind at all...
No they're not. Why not take five minutes to go on capgeek and educate yourself instead of posting nonsense?

Buying out Briere gets them under the cap for 13-14, and in 14-15 both Timmonen and Mezaros come off the cap leaving plenty of room for Giroux's new deal and small raises for Couturier and B Schenn.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Flukeshot
Hextall Activate!

Quote:

Tim Connolly UFA signing

Point taken on Sundin being there in 2008, but they have not had a #1 centre since.

So anyway, what you're saying is Grabo won't get bought out? Which is the point of this thread.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:41 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Point taken on Sundin being there in 2008, but they have not had a #1 centre since.

So anyway, what you're saying is Grabo won't get bought out? Which is the point of this thread.
Yep. Grabo will be traded or retained. Komi might get bought out but even that I doubt as we have no real reason to take the buyout hit against the cap rather than just keeping him in the A.

As others have said the only real amnesty potential comes from long term contracts mixed with NTC/NMCs.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:52 AM
ginner classic

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Maybe Wang greenlights the buyout this summer, thinking the next owner will be footing the bill ?
Which of course would be reflected in franchise value.

There is no financial or competitive justification to keeping him. Should be a 100 percent certainty they'd buy him out.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:01 PM
zytz
lumberjack

I keep seeing Montador's name here, but I'm not entirely sure he gets bought out just yet. He seems to be doing OK after coming back from his concussion, and I think he still has a couple years in him, and I wouldn't have a problem with him being the Hawks' 6th.

He doesn't have a great cap hit, but it's not terrible either, and Stan likes defensive depth. Great though he's been, it might just mean that Rozy doesn't make it back, and last I heard extension talks with Stalberg have stalled. If true, he was the Hawks 'big name' UFA to re-sign, and not having to do so would leave some money for other signings. The ones the Hawks have to worry about truly are just Kruger and Leddy this summer- I think Stan would take Bickell back at the right price, but I don't think he would hesitate to let him walk either.

Right now the Hawks' cups runneth over with prospects that can make the jump, primarily at forward, so I don't think it would be a problem for some of our UFAs to just walk.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:10 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinsane View Post
kaberle and maybe gionta
the Habs can only buyout one, so without a doubt it will be Kaberle....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:19 PM
EpicDing
Chris K-POP Kreider

Before these last few weeks I would've said Brad Richards, but now? Not so sure. The playoffs will tell.

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:26 PM
camboy

Horcoff for three reasons.

Over paid by 3 million a season.

Taylor Hall needs to assume the "C".

The Oilers need a change in leadership.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote