HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 NFL Thread (Week 1!)

Old
04-26-2013, 11:30 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
Giants are having a solid draft so far. Everyone on the Giants board is down on the Hankins pick but it makes sense considering Rogers and Patterson are on 1 yr deals. Kuhn will prob start the season on the PUP and Austin is still of an unknown leaning toward the bust side.

Do QB's start coming off the board in the 4th? Better hope so...if Phillip Thomas, Khaseem Greene, or Barrett Jones falls to NYG ill be fist pumping my shoulder out of it's socket. I doubt it though...look for them to go early on Sat.
Kuhn is probably just going to be IR'd.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:36 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I am just not a Pugh fan. TINY arms. Pushed around quite a bit. Poor competition, for the most part. I mean, I don't understand the pick in the first round. In the 2nd round? I think he'd be a really solid pick there. This just screams "reach" to me. Our OL is just so God-awful that they felt the need to address it and panicked when all the OL came off the board early.

Just my two cents.

He is a young David Diehl or Rich Seubert. Those guys were not first rounders.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...3SKhQoJMCuMTEK

Doug Marrone likes Pugh

nrf83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:07 AM
Barnaby

The Jets still need help at O-Line, WR, TE, and lest we forget that we have no safeties (signed the wrong Landry)... Any chance this turns into a 19 round draft...?

EDIT: ... And a pass rushing OLB... or two...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
The Jets still need help at O-Line, WR, TE, and lest we forget that we have no safeties (signed the wrong Landry)... Any chance this turns into a 19 round draft...?

EDIT: ... And a pass rushing OLB... or two...
Well, on the O-Line they now have Mangold, Ferguson, Colon, Peterman, Howard, Winters and Ducasse. Dennis Landolt and DJ Young are still on the roster as well. So they could use maybe another player or two, but they don't necessarily need to grab anyone else in the draft. There will be plenty of guys available as free agents before the season starts.

Ferguson-Colon-Mangold-xxxx-Howard

The battle, I assume, will be between Peterman, Ducasse and Winters for that RG spot. If the winner of that competition provides even average play, and Colon stays healthy, the Jets OL should be pretty good. I wouldn't be opposed to adding another young guy to the mix, but it's not a pressing need.

I'd like them to add a safety. Shamarko Thomas is probably the best available, but I don't think he's a fit for us. Phillip Thomas is probably a better play.

If you want to go WR, there are a couple of interesting ones left. Ryan Swope looks like he could be a nice player, and he's kind of a "safe" pick. Da'rick Rogers has first- or second-day skills, but big time character issues. Josh Boyce is a shifty guy, too.

As for a rush LB--what's left? Cornelius Washington is probably the best left. Read an article this morning that speculated the Jets will use Coples more in the role this season as well.

This isn't going to be a year that we compete for anything. Transition year. When you cut half your roster, and still have crippling contracts like Sanchez and Holmes, you can't fill all your holes. The Jets are in better shape today than they were a week ago though, so they're on the right track. There hasn't been a move they've made that I didn't like.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:43 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Giants think he is more a G, I believe. I am guessing we see Pugh at RT at some point. Or C.
This is reason number 1 I like the pick. Versatility. With the age of the O-Line having a young guy who is comfortable playing all over the line should be very valuable to the Giants.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:29 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I doubt we're moving to a permanent 4-3 shift. Theres going to be a lot of versatility on this d-line. Dunbar is gonna get to coach this kid up with limited pressure and reps. He will not be thrust into a starting role, it'll be like Wilkerson when he was a rookie. The plan is for the defense to start clicking in 2 years.

Milliner, I can't argue with everyone here that is afraid he'll be an injury risk. The injury that worries me the most is that broken leg he suffered, leaving a metal rod to hold together his tibia. But whats good is that he's a CB and his legs are not the point of contact during tackles. He'll be the one initiating most contact and will likely be held out of the clogged up areas in case of some freak injury around his legs. Look for Milliner to also get limited reps this year unless Cro or Wilson gets injured/really underwhelm.

Don't think we can go QB here at 39. We're not in position to develop a QB. Our offensive line has too many holes. Kaepernick and Wilson stepped into situations where their teams had strong offensive lines and strong defenses. Jets are gonna first solidify the defense, then solidify the line, then draft a QB. I'm thinking TE, WR, or S in rd 2/3.
Exactly what I said we will likely use much more 4-3 and continue to use our nickle, bear, etc as we did last year with guys shifting around as Wilk did. Starting my post by saying horrific draft was dumb but I was just insanely pissed off about trading Revis to get a CB b/c it really is representative of this teams history of pure incompetence and idiocy. I definitely went overboard on some things but simultaneously made it clear I was actually happy with both players and just hate the circumstances. I'm thrilled Smith fell into the Jets lap at 38 or 39 whatever it was. I was desperately screaming NO at the TV during the 13th pick it would have been horrible to draft Smith with the 13 pick considering he fell like that

******* crapadelphia for taking my TE

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:39 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Does not give Jets fans much of a season to look forward to.
Yea it does! NOTHING can be worse than sh**chez. Literally an offense could not be any more impotent. Offense gets better no matter who was put in over Sh**chez.
If they go something like 1-4 Geno may be put in which'll likely not be the right move for his development. Maybe they do like they did with Tebow last year and put Smith in every so often? It's worth noting of course the only reason they did that with Tebow was because offtheMark was THAT bad last year. So this year they prob won't do that and if they do they prob won't do it as incompetently as Cam did last year.

Garbagechez just threw for 50 yards in 2 straight plays and we're on the GL? Put Tebow in and have him throw it. Brilliant

I love this headline "Smith drafted, Puts Sanchez future in doubt." Umm no Sanchez being a walking talking piece of dog excrement put his future in doubt

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:03 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Dan Smith... BYU

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Gardner McKay
R.I.P. Parabola

Can some one explain all these compensatory picks?

--But after the long calm, there are now beginnings of a stir. The reunion at hand may joy, it may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings. For they are coming back. At last, the promise has been made. --
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Can some one explain all these compensatory picks?
It's basically compensation for losing players to free agency.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...ks-to-16-teams

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:22 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
Shocking A former coach likes his old player.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:47 AM
mti79

Wow... Giants take Nassib. Might be a great place for him to develop at the next level.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I don't remember the last time I loved two out of the three picks for the Jets. Awesome for them.
Who are you, where is Jon ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Wow... Giants take Nassib. Might be a great place for him to develop at the next level.
Great pick for the Gmen.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:51 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Nassib, holy ****.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:53 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

I like what Reese does on draft day. Always have. I just wish they can dedicate one entire draft to LB. Pass-defending LBs.

Niners built their defense through the draft. Can you imagine the Giants pass rush with SF's LB's?

LOL I spoke too soon. Can someone explain that pick to me? Trading up as well?

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:54 AM
ecemleafs

Nassib's the next brett favre! Nassib gets a good situation to be in. He gets to learn from one of the best QB's in terms of understanding the QB position and is an absolutely no rush to become a starter.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:57 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
I like what Reese does on draft day. Always have. I just wish they can dedicate one entire draft to LB. Pass-defending LBs.

Niners built their defense through the draft. Can you imagine the Giants pass rush with SF's LB's?

Hopefully we find a bad team to pawn him off to for a second when they get desperate for a decent QB? Who knows.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Ryan McDonut
Re-sign Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Nassib's the next brett favre! Nassib gets a good situation to be in. He gets to learn from one of the best QB's in terms of understanding the QB position and is an absolutely no rush to become a starter.
eli can probably play at least another 6 years if his brother is any indicator.

also, did the giants sign a linebacker in free agency already? if so its rather silly that we havent drafted one yet. just makes no sense to go DE when our linebackers are crap

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The fact they traded up to get Nassib shows this was more than a BPA pick. Interesting.

04-27-2013, 12:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
also, did the giants sign a linebacker in free agency already? if so its rather silly that we havent drafted one yet. just makes no sense to go DE when our linebackers are crap
They added Dan Connor.

They must feel that LB is not a position you need to draft high to get. They won two Super Bowls with some pretty journeymen LBs. The LB position has also changed a lot in the last five years.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:02 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
eli can probably play at least another 6 years if his brother is any indicator.

besides dan connor? if ur not picking a LB in the top 2 rounds u likely wont be finding an impact player right off the bat.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:05 PM
SA16
Sixstring

Have to say I think taking Nassib is a terrible pick and complete waste there.
1. Eli has never missed a game and isn't old
2. They already have a somewhat capable backup anyway and every offseason there are a bunch of backups available who can play (Just this year Hasselbeck, Campbell, Garrard etc..)
3. The whole "Draft a QB to draft him" theory doesn't actually work. 3 examples I can think of are Flynn (7th rounder traded for a 5th+conditional next year so not a huge return and he was a late pick). Cassel (7th rounder traded for an early 2nd but he was traded with Vrabel and again he was a 7th rounder not 4th). And Schaub who was a 3rd round pick and got a ton in return but that's one guy who has gotten a lot. Now they say the Pats are looking to do the same with Mallet but hasn't worked out yet and I doubt they get much for him. I might have missed some of course but that's 3 guys - 2 of who were 7th rounders - and I would say only 2 of which got a good return out of maybe a hundred+ of QB's drafted late over the past 10 years or so.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
besides dan connor? if ur not picking a LB in the top 2 rounds u likely wont be finding an impact player right off the bat.
I'm not sure LB is really all that an impact position anymore. At least it certainly doesn't seem as if the Giants feel it is.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:08 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The fact they traded up to get Nassib shows this was more than a BPA pick. Interesting.
I'm not a Nassib fan (would've preferred Wilson), but you had to think we were taking a developmental QB with the names still on the board. Either this round or next.

Run on QBs started, so JR went and got who he wanted.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post

I think J. Williams has that role covered this year. Plus with the 4 CBS back they have a full dime package.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote