HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Xbox One / PS4 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 12:46 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Getting concerned again with the Xbox lol:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/2...portedly-outed

Apparently:

1. No 2nd Xbox only the new console

2. Definitely 'always-on'

3. Xbox live has freaking gone up in price to $10/month but if you subscribe to it for 2 years you get $200 off the console.

That's a shame Microsoft. Probably just killed the system with that. Feature that most people were starting to feel ripped-off by gets raised in price... ? Sheesh.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:26 AM
glasgow26

They're doubling the price of Xbox Live? Yikes.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:56 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
They're doubling the price of Xbox Live? Yikes.
I'm not sure if that's the price if you buy the console out-right for $500... but the rumour is at $300 Xbox live is $10/month and you subscribe for 2 years.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I'm not sure if that's the price if you buy the console out-right for $500... but the rumour is at $300 Xbox live is $10/month and you subscribe for 2 years.
I took that as a part of the that deal, not as a price hike for Live in general. My Live runs until July 2014 anyway.

Since the rumors seem to be changing so often, we'll see in about a month which were right and which were wrong.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:

Apparently:

3. Xbox live has freaking gone up in price to $10/month but if you subscribe to it for 2 years you get $200 off the console.

That's a shame Microsoft. Probably just killed the system with that. Feature that most people were starting to feel ripped-off by gets raised in price... ? Sheesh.
It's a simple subscription model. Going to get xbox live? Then your console just got subsidized for you by microsoft to make the initial purchase cheaper. They loan you $200 bucks basically, you repay them $40 in the end.

Always on isn't that big of a deal, your tv receiver is 'always on' and your computer will be 'always on'. It basically just means that your electronics are in a ready wake state, able to activate quickly when you want to use them rather than have to take time to load. It will make media functions of the xbox more likely to be adopted as it won't take a few minutes to get netflix running versus 15 seconds to hit the tv netflix button.

The only thing I would agree with is the advanced kinect integration. I'm very concerned about the possibility of an always on kinect listening to my conversations, even if it is analyzed by a remote server before the speech is recognized, I don't like the idea of anything recording me without my knowledge. The advertisements rumors of the kinect and such are a major turn off.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Quote:

Apparently:

That girl on the durango video... my god
Think i'm in love again. Wow.

And the new Xbox looks weak. "Always one" = Never buy

Old
04-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
It's a simple subscription model. Going to get xbox live? Then your console just got subsidized for you by microsoft to make the initial purchase cheaper. They loan you $200 bucks basically, you repay them $40 in the end.

Always on isn't that big of a deal,
your tv receiver is 'always on' and your computer will be 'always on'. It basically just means that your electronics are in a ready wake state, able to activate quickly when you want to use them rather than have to take time to load. It will make media functions of the xbox more likely to be adopted as it won't take a few minutes to get netflix running versus 15 seconds to hit the tv netflix button.

The only thing I would agree with is the advanced kinect integration. I'm very concerned about the possibility of an always on kinect listening to my conversations, even if it is analyzed by a remote server before the speech is recognized, I don't like the idea of anything recording me without my knowledge. The advertisements rumors of the kinect and such are a major turn off.
Absolutely false. Its a huge deal and a dealbreaker for me if true.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Absolutely false. Its a huge deal and a dealbreaker for me if true.
Do explain how this will affect you. Your smart phone, tablet and some laptops are also always on. And if you're alluding to the internet requirement, they would never make a product which doesn't work offline. People jump to the conclusions too easily.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:14 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Always on isn't that big of a deal, your tv receiver is 'always on' and your computer will be 'always on'. It basically just means that your electronics are in a ready wake state, able to activate quickly when you want to use them rather than have to take time to load. It will make media functions of the xbox more likely to be adopted as it won't take a few minutes to get netflix running versus 15 seconds to hit the tv netflix button.
It depends on how it works. If I have to be online to play a downloaded game/movie that I spent money I, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. If I have to be online to play single-player of a disc game I purchased at the store then I have a problem with that.

Also, how will it handle outages? Say I'm playing a single-player game or watching a show(from the harddrive, not video service) and my wi-fi cuts out. Does it pause whatever I'm doing while it tries to reconnect or does it try to reconnect in the background and not disturb me? If it's the former, I will avoid it like the plague(thank you for the memories D3). And that brings me to another point, if they're having server issues(like SimCity, D3) then will it completely prevent me from playing any games or movies?

Always on-line won't be acceptable until pretty much every part of the world has a stable, faster than 10MBP/s connection(minimum) and that won't be for a while.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Do explain how this will affect you. Your smart phone, tablet and some laptops are also always on. And if you're alluding to the internet requirement, they would never make a product which doesn't work offline. People jump to the conclusions too easily.
My tablet is not always online because it's Wi-Fi only. Not every place has that. A phone now-a-days is always online because it's small and works with Wi-Fi and cell towers. Not that many laptops have built in mobile data service (3G/4G) and I personally don't know anyone that does have one. A console is no where near as mobile as either of these. Not only that, a console will never have a mobile data service built into the machine. Plus, think of it this way. You're just playing some single player game (I'll use Valkyria Chronicles as an example), far into a mission and you haven't saved since you plan on being there and then BAM. Lose all internet and it quits the game, losing all progress. Also, there are some that like to just take their console around for multiplayer/split screen purposes to places that don't have Wi-Fi. Also, look at what happened with Ubisoft when they tried Always-Online DRM and look at what happened when Blizzard did the same Diablo III. Always-Online DRM is a burden more than anything else.

Plus the idea that not everyone even has full DSL/Cable internet (some still rely on 56K), can really alienate some customers.

And also as states before, Sim City is the perfect example of why Always-Online DRM is a BAD thing. Especially when they flat out admit it could be run without it enabled.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
It depends on how it works. If I have to be online to play a downloaded game/movie that I spent money I, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. If I have to be online to play single-player of a disc game I purchased at the store then I have a problem with that.

Also, how will it handle outages? Say I'm playing a single-player game or watching a show(from the harddrive, not video service) and my wi-fi cuts out. Does it pause whatever I'm doing while it tries to reconnect or does it try to reconnect in the background and not disturb me? If it's the former, I will avoid it like the plague(thank you for the memories D3). And that brings me to another point, if they're having server issues(like SimCity, D3) then will it completely prevent me from playing any games or movies?

Always on-line won't be acceptable until pretty much every part of the world has a stable, faster than 10MBP/s connection(minimum) and that won't be for a while.
No offense, but you are nuts

Old
04-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Not saying I approve of rumored plan, but who even plays offline on their console anymore? I can't even remember the last time my internet was out. Do people have some 3rd world internet connections or something?

Old
04-26-2013, 01:25 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Not saying I approve of rumored plan, but who even plays offline on their console anymore? I can't even remember the last time my internet was out. Do people have some 3rd world internet connections or something?
If my internet craps out and I feel like playing something offline, then why the hell not play? Always-On just hampers the experience and takes away the freedom to do what you want with the console.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:

Always on and Always connected are two different things people are confusing with eachother.

Always On = An enhanced standby mode which supports background notifications and allows the device to quick resume. These features enable it to work in conjunction with Always Connected. The Surface RT and Pro are both AOAC and work just fine offline.

If we're not jumping to conclusions, odds are AOAC will be employed the same way as Windows 8 on the xbox like above and used as an optional authentication by manufacturers to prevent piracy and/or as their single owner authenticator, it would again make sense. It would not make sense to produce a product which stops your media from playing when you lose internet connection unless it is being streamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
My tablet is not always online because it's Wi-Fi only. Not every place has that. A phone now-a-days is always online because it's small and works with Wi-Fi and cell towers. Not that many laptops have built in mobile data service (3G/4G) and I personally don't know anyone that does have one. A console is no where near as mobile as either of these. Not only that, a console will never have a mobile data service built into the machine. Plus, think of it this way. You're just playing some single player game (I'll use Valkyria Chronicles as an example), far into a mission and you haven't saved since you plan on being there and then BAM. Lose all internet and it quits the game, losing all progress. Also, there are some that like to just take their console around for multiplayer/split screen purposes to places that don't have Wi-Fi. Also, look at what happened with Ubisoft when they tried Always-Online DRM and look at what happened when Blizzard did the same Diablo III. Always-Online DRM is a burden more than anything else.

Plus the idea that not everyone even has full DSL/Cable internet (some still rely on 56K), can really alienate some customers.

And also as states before, Sim City is the perfect example of why Always-Online DRM is a BAD thing. Especially when they flat out admit it could be run without it enabled.
Most tablets I know of are always online and always connected. How else does it receive background notifications when the screen is off? See my post above about what it means and is specifically explained by Microsoft when they discuss their AOAC technology in Windows 8, which they've said the Xbox is based off the Windows 8 kernal/architecture to promote cross platform games.

I don't like the idea of always on DRM either, but the manufacturers can lose money over that, Microsoft will not hard code all their media via the xbox into utilizing that stylistic DRM.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:05 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
No offense, but you are nuts
None taken. If I buy a game off of steam I don't have a problem with steam having to be online in order for me to play it.

If I buy a physical copy of a game I do have a problem with it having to be connected to a server in order for me to play it, unless it's a multi-player only game.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
None taken. If I buy a game off of steam I don't have a problem with steam having to be online in order for me to play it.
You can play all your games offline with steam. Except it they are online games like Lotro offcourse.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Isn't the "always on" version only the subsidized one?

Old
04-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
Isn't the "always on" version only the subsidized one?
No one knows for sure what they are coming up with.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:08 AM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
I do all the time, I hate playing online, especially paying for it. It's even worse when your capped at 100gb a month.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Lockheed301
DOO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman441 View Post
I do all the time, I hate playing online, especially paying for it. It's even worse when your capped at 100gb a month.
Damn GCI and their stupid data limits..

Old
04-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Lonewolfe2015

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...to-publishers/

This is along the lines of what I expected.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:46 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
always. I never ever play online with my games. its all offline and offline coop. I havent gone online with games since the last nhl game like 3 years ago and it was a few games against my brother. that was it

Old
04-27-2013, 12:12 PM
gunners14henry

Only game I play online is Black Ops 2 and once in a while, Fifa 13. Any other time (most of the time) I play offline

Old
04-27-2013, 12:45 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners14henry View Post
Only game I play online is Black Ops 2 and once in a while, Fifa 13. Any other time (most of the time) I play offline
Only console game i've played online in the last 12 months is NHL 13... and it's dreadful.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:23 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
always. I never ever play online with my games. its all offline and offline coop. I havent gone online with games since the last nhl game like 3 years ago and it was a few games against my brother. that was it
You guys are misinterpreting what Jussi is saying. He is asking how many people aren't actually connected to the internet when playing online.

I disagree with his notion entirely but the question makes more sense.

Closed Thread