HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2013, 03:14 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I like Coburn more than most here, and I want him kept.

If he could get us Nurse though, and we could rebuild the back-end with two top 10 defensive draft picks...that's pretty enticing.

That said, I don't think Coburn nets us a top 10 pick.
I agree. I think with Coburn it's a bit of a grass is always greener thing. Most other defenseman people are only seeing in highlights or the occasional game. He might not be the number 1 defenseman people expected when he was drafted, but he's still better than most defensemen in the NHL and on our roster. Plus he's the only one that isn't nearly retired or a tweener type at the moment. Though I would really love to add some high end young defensemen to the team/system and if that option came along at the cost of Coburn it would have to be considered very carefully.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Trading Coburn for picks + prospects now is beyond stupid

He had a bad year. Why trade him when his value is low?

04-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

I don't think GM's think like HFers. They understand what Coburn brings, he has a decent cap hit(with 3 years remaining), and provides 20+ minutes a night. Coburn's year wasn't as bad as some people have said, but his value isn't at a low. He provides the same everything basically year in and year out. A new GM picking him up will understand that. Any top 4 defender who puts up 25-30 points per year while playing hard minutes will give a good return. If Homer accepts anything less that a strong return(if he was on the block) he should and would get crucified by this fan base.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:52 PM
FlyingPhilly

When was the last time a player got traded when their value was at a high? I can't remember.

I would definitely trade Coburn no questions asked if the return was good. Hartnell is also included in that. I would love to come away with 2 d-men from the top half of this draft. That would really help the blueline for years to come.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

Because Grossmann and Mezaros are both fully healthy and coming off great seasons, so we can count on them 100%.

Oh wait.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
When was the last time a player got traded when their value was at a high? I can't remember.

I would definitely trade Coburn no questions asked if the return was good. Hartnell is also included in that. I would love to come away with 2 d-men from the top half of this draft. That would really help the blueline for years to come.
I don't think Carter or Richards were dealt at a discount. What do you mean by "high"? It is pretty difficult to gauge peak value, and I don't think real-life trade values fluctuate nearly as much as they do in HF world.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Devils are about to lose to the Rangers so that's another team that can pass us in the lottery with a win tonight.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Devils are about to lose to the Rangers so that's another team that can pass us in the lottery with a win tonight.
Certainly setting up for Philly to win tonight...then Dallas and Phoenix to lose....hello #12 pick overall. Also crappy that right now, our conference gets to add Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin to it!

Old
04-27-2013, 06:13 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't think Carter or Richards were dealt at a discount. What do you mean by "high"? It is pretty difficult to gauge peak value, and I don't think real-life trade values fluctuate nearly as much as they do in HF world.
I should have been more specific. Outside of extenuating circumstances when was the last player to be dealt while his value is high? By high I meant like right after a great season or in the middle of a great season for the player. Usually a player's value is at the highest during that time right?

For the record, I don't think Carter or Richards were traded at a discount either.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:58 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Except Pitkanen did put it together. He's a 24 minute a night, two-way defender that'll net you 40 points a season (as long as he can stay healthy). Coburn should be right there with him. He's had seasons where he played well defensively, put up 30 points, but for whatever reason he can't do it consistently.
Pitkanen was drafted as an offensive type defensemen. Coburn was drafted as a defensive defenseman. He has never, ever, shown real any offensive skill. Pitkanen always had those skills. In general, people who are disappointed with Coburn are people who expected him to be something he was never projected to be.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
OTL keeps us with the number 8 or 9 pick if Dallas loses?

I'm pretty sure we lose the tie-breaker against the devils and sabres, correct?

Old
04-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
OTL keeps us with the number 8 or 9 pick if Dallas loses?

I'm pretty sure we lose the tie-breaker against the devils and sabres, correct?
We have more ROW, so we would jump them in the standings, so one point takes us to the 11th pick (between Dallas and Phoenix).

Old
04-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
We have more ROW, so we would jump them in the standings, so one point takes us to the 11th pick (between Dallas and Phoenix).
Oh, I completely forgot about ROW, haha.

That is going to be a killer.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:40 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If we win, we sit at 12th, but if Phoenix puts up a point, we'd be 11th overall. Any awesome guys anywhere between 10 and 12?

Old
04-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If we win, we sit at 12th, but if Phoenix puts up a point, we'd be 11th overall. Any awesome guys anywhere between 10 and 12?
Meh, I still think it is possible that both Ristolainen and Zadorov are there--and I'm pretty sure one of them will be.

1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Drouin
4. Barkov
5. Nichushkin
6. Nurse
7. Monahan
8. Lindholm

[I think it is clear that those guys are gone by the 10th pick--with perhaps one "random" thrown in.]

That would seem to leave Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pulock etc. as the best defensemen, and some forwards as well.

If you're looking for a silver lining, it is that the BPA is probably more likely to be a defenseman at 11-12 than 8.

Best case scenario: Somebody jumps at both Shinkaruk and Fucale in the top-10.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Prongo
Beer

I'm okay with this. They didn't quit. Which I don't mind.

Ryan pulock/rist/nich/. Some players might fall or we could trade up. Anything is possible. Lets see what's hand their dealt

Old
04-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Couturier Post

Let's just hope Phoenix wins tonight. As much as I hate tanking, it seems to be a necessary evil to win the Stanley Cup in the modern NHL. The last team to win the Stanley Cup without a top 4 pick on their roster was the 2000-2001 Avalanche. Granted, the 2007 Ducks traded for Pronger and signed Neidermayer and the 2010 Bruins got Seguin due to a Brian Burke brain fart, these teams still benefited from another team's tanking.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturier Post View Post
Let's just hope Phoenix wins tonight. As much as I hate tanking, it seems to be a necessary evil to win the Stanley Cup in the modern NHL. The last team to win the Stanley Cup without a top 4 pick on their roster was the 2000-2001 Avalanche. Granted, the 2007 Ducks traded for Pronger and signed Neidermayer and the 2010 Bruins got Seguin due to a Brian Burke brain fart, these teams still benefited from another team's tanking.
They need at least a point to put us at 11th overall.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Meh, I still think it is possible that both Ristolainen and Zadorov are there--and I'm pretty sure one of them will be.

1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Drouin
4. Barkov
5. Nichushkin
6. Nurse
7. Monahan
8. Lindholm

[I think it is clear that those guys are gone by the 10th pick--with perhaps one "random" thrown in.]

That would seem to leave Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pulock etc. as the best defensemen, and some forwards as well.

If you're looking for a silver lining, it is that the BPA is probably more likely to be a defenseman at 11-12 than 8.

Best case scenario: Somebody jumps at both Shinkaruk and Fucale in the top-10.
At this point, I see Pulock and Ristolainen being 15-20 ish. Ristolainen hasn't exactly been great in the SM Liiga and Pulock has been dropping according to all the scouts

Zadorov at 11 or 12 would be great

Old
04-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturier Post View Post
But the Avs did have the #6 overall in Forsberg, #8 overall in Ray Bourque, and the #12 overall in Tanguay, so they still benefited from high picks, and many of the players were gotten indirectly through the trading of their number one pick Lindros (who basically fetched them Roy and others who were traded for players).

I'm just annoyed that the Flyers start to play well once the games didn't matter. Great. Moves us from the #8 pick to the #12. That's a huge difference. I shouldn't complain. If we had the #1 pick in this draft, the player would either get hurt or just be a flop. We should trade the #12 for a pick in the 20s which is where we prosper.

Looking back through history though, it doesn't seem to make much difference in quality between guys going between 8th and 12th.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:09 PM
RoDu

As if the Flyers win the draft lottery.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

We can still move up or back some spots in the lottery, right?

Old
04-27-2013, 09:12 PM
RoDu

Quote:
can't we move all the way up?

Old
04-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If we finish 11th, we can either pick 1st, 11th, or 12th

If we finish 12th, we can pick either 1st, 12th, or 13th

Old
04-27-2013, 09:14 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Its either move up to first, stay where we are, or move down one

Closed Thread