HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette Discussion (April 28: Laviolette to return next season)

Old
04-27-2013, 05:54 PM
FLYERSFAN18

vCash: 500
Well, those are the questions that are going to be asked over and over when the team you put together has played like absolute garbage all year. Of course they played well when it no longer mattered

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 05:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
That's been asked 15,000 times already
i know. i would've told them all that i'm not answering that question anymore then if they persisted i would of cursed them out too.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

It looks like today was the tipping point for Homer with the media this year.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:01 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

He probably doesn't want to answer because in the end it's Schneider's say not his.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:08 PM
FlyersFan61290

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Quote:
I'm hearing there will be some major shakeups with NHL teams that are not in the playoffs. Look for some GM's and coaches to be fired. #RDS
i hope Lavi is one of them

Old
04-27-2013, 06:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I would say its a possibility. He's been here for a while now and Homer/Snider haven't really endorsed him when asked about his future.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:21 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Holmgren on Lavy: "I'm not saying a bleeping thing....How many times do I have to tell you I haven't even thought about firing the coach?"
Per Sam C.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I said it in another thread here: I think they're either both back or both fired. Someone's gotta feel the pain for Richards and Carter throwing egg on the faces of the Flyers last year, and this year JVR had a huge year after being deemed not tough enough, while Bobrovsky is doing for Columbus what Snider said we needed in replacing him. For better or worse, someone's going to get bloodied, and Ed Snider's not going to fire himself.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I said it in another thread here: I think they're either both back or both fired. Someone's gotta feel the pain for Richards and Carter throwing egg on the faces of the Flyers last year, and this year JVR had a huge year after being deemed not tough enough, while Bobrovsky is doing for Columbus what Snider said we needed in replacing him. For better or worse, someone's going to get bloodied, and Ed Snider's not going to fire himself.
Which is why Laviolette and Holmgren will both be back next season.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:37 PM
MsWoof

I wish he'd totally lose it and throw a punch at one of those clowns. As if he's going to tell them what he's planning to do before he tells Lavi. There is no point in telling them today that Lavi will be fired after tonight's game.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:51 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Our team make-up is not Laviolette's fault. That's on Holmgren and Snider.
Our team's ridiculous injury is not Laviolette's fault. That's on nobody but the short season.
Our team's goaltending issue is not Laviolette's fault. Bryzgalov is his own disaster.

So the lack of a PMD, the young roster, the injuries, the short season, and Bryzgalov's implosion cannot be blamed on Laviolette.

What exactly does everyone have on him?

Firing him is an absolutely worthless idea. I've seen better ideas on the trade boards involving Toronto begging for one of our young forwards. If you want to know which, pick a year and a forward...

And good for Holmgren for firing out at the media.

It's about time we got back to blaming the people really responsible: Bryzgalov.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:08 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Our team's ridiculous injury is not Laviolette's fault. That's on nobody but the short season.
Our team's goaltending issue is not Laviolette's fault. Bryzgalov is his own disaster.

So the lack of a PMD, the young roster, the injuries, the short season, and Bryzgalov's implosion cannot be blamed on Laviolette.

Firing him is an absolutely worthless idea. I've seen better ideas on the trade boards involving Toronto begging for one of our young forwards. If you want to know which, pick a year and a forward...

It's about time we got back to blaming the people really responsible: Bryzgalov.
good one

Old
04-27-2013, 07:12 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

In the end it's Homer who gets the players and should bear most of the blame (because Snider won't) but do you honestly think that Lavi doesn't have any kind input on what players come in?

I don't think that's a reason he should be fired though. I would say his mis-handling of certain players, his inability to adapt to the opposing team during games, and just the fact he's been here for a while now and a fresh face would be good for this team is the reasons why I think he should be fired.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:15 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
In the end it's Homer who gets the players and should bare some blame but do you honestly think that Lavi doesn't have any kind input in what players come in?

I don't think that's a reason he should be fired though. I would say his mis-handling of certain players, his inability to adapt to the opposing team during games, and just the fact he's been here for a while now and a fresh face would be good for this team is the reasons why I think he should be fired.
Agree 100 percent.

I think goaltending (Bryz) was a significant reason the flyers sucked this yr but how can you say that he alone is the reason the flyers aren't making the playoffs? Ats laughable when the team has scoed 2 goals or less in like half of he seasons games

Old
04-27-2013, 07:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
In the end it's Homer who gets the players and should bear most of the blame (because Snider won't) but do you honestly think that Lavi doesn't have any kind input in what players come in?

I don't think Laviolette had any input on our goaltending decision or our lack of a PMD.

I think it was pretty evident that was the case when the were articles this past offseason about the organization wanting Laviolette to change up his system, which was obviously working at the time.

Everyone knew what we were getting into defensively with a blueline unit that didn't fit the system. You can't expect a coach to just work around that kind of thing in one offseason.

Bryzgalov's play, however, is inexcusable.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
The team played a stupidly over aggressive system until the injuries in March forced Laviolette to change. That is absolutely on him, and is the reason the Flyers missed the playoffs. His awful treatment of Couturier while veterans like Briere kept their ice time and line positions despite playing terribly is another reason he should go.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The team played a stupidly over aggressive system until the injuries in March forced Laviolette to change. That is absolutely on him, and is the reason the Flyers missed the playoffs. His awful treatment of Couturier while veterans like Briere kept their ice time and line positions despite playing terribly is another reason he should go.
His awful treatment of Couturier? No offense, meng, but Couturier earned those bottom-six minutes of his when he quit scoring. Bad Bounces and all that aside, he couldn't produce, and consequently somebody on this team had to get those minutes. When he started playing better, he got better linemates, and the production followed. Briere... he was just kind of there this season. Thanks to Holmgren!

Old
04-27-2013, 11:54 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
His awful treatment of Couturier? No offense, meng, but Couturier earned those bottom-six minutes of his when he quit scoring. Bad Bounces and all that aside, he couldn't produce, and consequently somebody on this team had to get those minutes. When he started playing better, he got better linemates, and the production followed. Briere... he was just kind of there this season. Thanks to Holmgren!
Yes but young players need to be given some slack/the better opportunity to work through their issues. Briere on the other hand was handed crucial minutes (like being the extra attacker in one goal games) even though he didn't deserve it or have a future with the team. This is what mostly bothered me when talking about his handeling of the players. Also this issue with yet another one of his players, it's getting kinda old. Better to just change things up IMO especially when people argue that this team isn't build for his style of play.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
How is he going to score given 31% of his starts in the offensive zone. Do you expect him to put the puck in his own net?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:06 AM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
This, in a nutshell, coupled with the loss of Pronger, is a good summary of why the Flyers had such a ****** shortened season. Seems to me the team was rebuilt to more fit Laviolette's system and, although there may be a brighter future, who wants to gamble on that? I mean, look at it rationally, LA may have another long SC run (although the west will be very tough to come out of), the Leafs made the play-offs for the first time in forever, and Bobrovsky and Columbus came within a hair's breath of making the post season. All ex-Flyers, who either didn't get along with Laviolette (and his dry island) or who Laviolette seemed to have no confidence in, are doing quite well thank you, while the new look Flyers are, well, pretty blah. If Laviolette had much to say in these moves (and I can't believe he didn't), then he's history. Holmgren should be too but my sense is Snider has more loyalty to an old warrior such as Holmgren, so he'll likely stay. There's no loyalty for Laviolette.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:11 PM
YuioIklo

I think Laviolette did a very good job getting this team back on track at the end of the year, despite the crazy injuries, etc. He really adapted his system well to the players he had and found the best lines. I think he deserves to stay for at least the first months of next season to see how he deals with the group next year. We've had a bad season, caused by many factors, but I don't think the coach is one of them.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:25 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I think Laviolette did a very good job getting this team back on track at the end of the year, despite the crazy injuries, etc. He really adapted his system well to the players he had and found the best lines. I think he deserves to stay for at least the first months of next season to see how he deals with the group next year. We've had a bad season, caused by many factors, but I don't think the coach is one of them.
Too little too late IMO. This team only showed up after the games became meaningless

Edit: he also hasn't adjusted to playing teams like the rangers and devils for over a year now

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
This, in a nutshell, coupled with the loss of Pronger, is a good summary of why the Flyers had such a ****** shortened season. Seems to me the team was rebuilt to more fit Laviolette's system and, although there may be a brighter future, who wants to gamble on that? I mean, look at it rationally, LA may have another long SC run (although the west will be very tough to come out of), the Leafs made the play-offs for the first time in forever, and Bobrovsky and Columbus came within a hair's breath of making the post season. All ex-Flyers, who either didn't get along with Laviolette (and his dry island) or who Laviolette seemed to have no confidence in, are doing quite well thank you, while the new look Flyers are, well, pretty blah. If Laviolette had much to say in these moves (and I can't believe he didn't), then he's history. Holmgren should be too but my sense is Snider has more loyalty to an old warrior such as Holmgren, so he'll likely stay. There's no loyalty for Laviolette.
I don't blame Lavy for this season, but this is why he needs to go. He has ran too many good players out of town and is ruining the development of Couturier.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Yes but young players need to be given some slack/the better opportunity to work through their issues. Briere on the other hand was handed crucial minutes (like being the extra attacker in one goal games) even though he didn't deserve it or have a future with the team. This is what mostly bothered me when talking about his handeling of the players. Also this issue with yet another one of his players, it's getting kinda old. Better to just change things up IMO especially when people argue that this team isn't build for his style of play.
The same **** happened under Stevens, and Hitchcock. Knuble and Briere would continuously parade to and from the penalty-box while Upshall or Downie would sit in the dog-house after one ill-timed call (regardless of whether it was deserved or not).

Veterans have always been held to a lower standard than freshmen, and sophomores. And whether you want to believe it or not, it's not an issue unique entirely unto Laviolette. Coaches are in the business of self-preservation, very similar to their players, so they're going to do whatever it takes to make them look good. Briere's track record says he was always the best bet.

And if you're talking about Bryzgalov having an issue with Laviolette, who here is honestly surprised when the class clown doesn't see eye-to-eye with a disciplinarian that preaches work-ethic? Timonen's never had a problem with him. Hartnell's only had a problem when he plays with his head up his ass (putting it bluntly), and Laviolette calls him out on it. The veteran players that do work do fine with the guy.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I don't blame Lavy for this season, but this is why he needs to go. He has ran too many good players out of town and is ruining the development of Couturier.
The guys that were run out of town were done in by others than Laviolette. Richards and Carter pissed some people off in management and they were dealt.
This dust up between Bryz and Laviolette is a different mess. After last season, Bryz complained that he didn't get enough work. This year he says that he was overworked. That's not on Lavy. Bryz is a major problem and it will get worse going forward since Mason is beating him out of the goalie job. Does anyone want Bryz as a back up? The best thing for the Flyers to do is amnesty his tail out of here and sign/obtain another goalie (Ericksson?) to share the job with Mason.
I do hold Laviolette for messing up this season. His style of play does not fit this squad and he knew that after the Devils' PO series last season. Worst of all it exposes his defensemen to too much physical damage at the hands of other teams hard forechecking. Its not accident that the defensive corps is broken down by the end of a season.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote