HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tinordi recalled early to meet with team in WPG

Old
04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
Not sure if a defensive defenseman will have a lot of opportunity to have the Bell Center chant his name, but it'd sound like a taping of the Springer Show if we did.
If he wins a fight they could chant his name.

Plus, a fight + Jerry chant... yep!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm still hopefully "Jerry" (or "Jarry", I guess) catches on.

I've been a big Tinordi fan since we drafted him (mostly because I wanted to like the pick that everyone was bashing)...I really hope he continues to do well. He would fill a big, big need for us if he reaches his potential.
I was actually dieing to get tin tin when Montreal traded up at the draft I knew we were going for him great pick. He's played so well last night good to see how mature he is for his age.

Habs88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:51 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs88 View Post
I was actually dieing to get tin tin when Montreal traded up at the draft I knew we were going for him great pick. He's played so well last night good to see how mature he is for his age.
I didn't hate or love the pick, he wasn't on my radar at all. I really didn't think we'd be picking a defenseman, to be honest. But when I saw how much backlash there was because we didn't pick a big forward or go for a home-run, I felt inclined to like him just because

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
habtastic

BC would definitely need to put up a consensus chant name for Tinordi otherwise everyone would be chanting different things.

Everyone needs to know to go with "Tin-ner" after he lays a big hit. Pretty sure that's why Emelin doesn't get chants, just cheers.

The guy also looks like he can be coached well. When I saw the clip of Beaulieu in front of the active screen with JJD (admittedly I can't read too much into it), my impression was that Diagneault explained something and Nathan just nodded but really was just thinking "I left the iron on."

Tinordi looks like he learns, even in-game and that he is hungry. Wish it was tomorrow. Want to see how this all plays out, mostly the chance of NE getting locked up.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
BC would definitely need to put up a consensus chant name for Tinordi otherwise everyone would be chanting different things.

Everyone needs to know to go with "Tin-ner" after he lays a big hit. Pretty sure that's why Emelin doesn't get chants, just cheers.

The guy also looks like he can be coached well. When I saw the clip of Beaulieu in front of the active screen with JJD (admittedly I can't read too much into it), my impression was that Diagneault explained something and Nathan just nodded but really was just thinking "I left the iron on."

Tinordi looks like he learns, even in-game and that he is hungry. Wish it was tomorrow. Want to see how this all plays out, mostly the chance of NE getting locked up.
If Hamilton (and its coaching staff) can provide two very good young d-men like Tinordi and Beaulieu, and a couple of forwards like Gallagher and Dumont in a single year, that's more than enough. The future goals scores are coming in the pipeline (Bozon, Collberg, Hudon). Now Habs need to draft big forwards and more bigger d-men (Dietz and Thrower gonna be good, but still not big enough)

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
I would be ecstatic if he became a 25-30 points guy, but he's never gotten there in junior, ushl, ahl or anywhere else. Again, what makes you believe he will suddenly explode in the NHL against better players and goalies?

I guess my point is don't set your expectations too high, otherwise you'll be disappointed...

At this point its even laughable to even mention Chara in the same sentence.
The same reason that Chara didn't have a 20 point season before he was around 25 years old. Tall guys take longer to fill out their frames and until they do they tend to lack the coordination and strength necessary to really make the most out of their size, including developing a strong slapshot.

But you can just see that the offensive flair and the hockey sense is there with Tinordi. That's why I think he'll eventually be a ~25pts player.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
The same reason that Chara didn't have a 20 point season before he was around 25 years old. Tall guys take longer to fill out their frames and until they do they tend to lack the coordination and strength necessary to really make the most out of their size, including developing a strong slapshot.

But you can just see that the offensive flair and the hockey sense is there with Tinordi. That's why I think he'll eventually be a ~25pts player.
If they can, Habs should draft Morin from Rimouski or Zadorov with their first overall pick. We need another tall d-man.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
He consistently made clean, crisp passes to forwards up the ice
Good attention to detail. You probably also noticed that he has improved at getting passes tape-to-tape with "snap". A decent first pass is all you even need from a guy who will likely win plenty of puck battles with his reach and size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
The seven hits were of course what i guess everyone is talking about, and i love that too. I just think its nice to know that you're not losing much offensively (over say a weber) by keeping Tinordi in the lineup. I'd already say he's already shown more offensive ability than Gorges.
Gorges hesitates sometimes, maybe takes a peek, and ends up doing the same play he just telegraphed anyway. Misses the net a lot, too. Those things kind of annoy me. Don't know if I'd be willing/able to render a decision "overall" yet, but Tinordi seems to have improved execution of the "simple" plays, which is good. I also loved how easily Tinordi was able to separate players from the puck. He doesn't have to throw himself around PK-style into anyone, compromising position. He can literally just lean people over without breaking stride.

If he can develop keen enough timing, he'll find himself breaking up more plays with his stick than his body (Chara style, really) naturally, I'd expect. He's going to make forwards work though, and that's certainly an aspect that I think has been observably lacking during Emelin's absence. I can't wait to see who the next person to step up to fight a confident Tinordi will be, that's for sure. By contrast, I'd rather Emelin not have to fight again... ever. But whaddya gonna do.

I'm sure I'm not alone, licking my chops at a chance to see a playoff lineup that features both Emelin and Tinordi. Seems like the recipe for a less productive regular season, but it seems like a good playoff hockey build to me; given the improvements we've observed and listed, etc. If the team can't make enough noise offensively with Markov, Subban, and Diaz carrying the load, then it just wasn't meant to be.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
If they can, Habs should draft Morin from Rimouski or Zadorov with their first overall pick. We need another tall d-man.
It's not a need at all, we have a group of d-men at 6'2" or bigger(Emelin Tinordi Beaulieu Ellis Pateryn) plus guys like Subban, Thower and Dietz who play with an edge.

If one of those two is available and the BPA, fine, take him but not as a "need" pick. IMHO it would be dumb to draft need in the top 2 rounds.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:58 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Gorges hesitates sometimes, maybe takes a peek, and ends up doing the same play he just telegraphed anyway. Misses the net a lot, too. Those things kind of annoy me. Don't know if I'd be willing/able to render a decision "overall" yet, but Tinordi seems to have improved execution of the "simple" plays, which is good. I also loved how easily Tinordi was able to separate players from the puck. He doesn't have to throw himself around PK-style into anyone, compromising position. He can literally just lean people over without breaking stride.

If he can develop keen enough timing, he'll find himself breaking up more plays with his stick than his body (Chara style, really) naturally, I'd expect. He's going to make forwards work though, and that's certainly an aspect that I think has been observably lacking during Emelin's absence. I can't wait to see who the next person to step up to fight a confident Tinordi will be, that's for sure. By contrast, I'd rather Emelin not have to fight again... ever. But whaddya gonna do.

I'm sure I'm not alone, licking my chops at a chance to see a playoff lineup that features both Emelin and Tinordi. Seems like the recipe for a less productive regular season, but it seems like a good playoff hockey build to me; given the improvements we've observed and listed, etc. If the team can't make enough noise offensively with Markov, Subban, and Diaz carrying the load, then it just wasn't meant to be.
Gorges needs to understand the difference between Offensive and Defensive flair. PK seems to have grasped it. It's perfectly okay to be conservative and thoughtful on defense; delaying and playing it safe is usually a good thing to do. Which is why Gorges is actually pretty good defensively.

When you are on offense... Well, let me quote one of my favourite book:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Troopers
As they keep telling you in Basic, doing something constructive at once is better than figuring out the best thing to do hours later.
When you are on the offense, you have to keep the other team scrambling left and right. You have to keep moving the puck. You have to keep doing something that will make them react to you; instead of giving them the time to anticipate.

Making the best thing to do five seconds later is worse than doing SOMETHING right away. You learn with experience to instinctively do the best thing; but until then, just DO SOMETHING. Don't hesitate.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:16 AM
habtastic

It's true, Gorges at the offensive blueline with the puck is a recipe for the play coming the other way. It's annoying cuz all the other guys are mostly keeping their feet moving and getting in position. One of the most irritating things for a forward is when you are creating space and your D man doesn't give it to you, and delays by even half a second.

Tinordi is, as you've all mentioned above, not being irritating.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:33 PM
PricePkPatch

It is also an explanation as to why Gorges isn't effective on the PP. While he isn't bad or a liability, he also isn't producing any results.

In the PP, you have much more time to make decisions before losing the puck. However, it's an even greater reason to keep pressuring the defensive team with puck movement without giving them any reprieve whatsoever. You gotta keep them guessing at every turn.

Gorges gives them the time to regain their balance; and scramble. He may be somewhat intelligent in his decision making, he isn't fast enough.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Gorges needs to understand the difference between Offensive and Defensive flair. PK seems to have grasped it. It's perfectly okay to be conservative and thoughtful on defense; delaying and playing it safe is usually a good thing to do. Which is why Gorges is actually pretty good defensively.

When you are on offense... Well, let me quote one of my favourite book:

When you are on the offense, you have to keep the other team scrambling left and right. You have to keep moving the puck. You have to keep doing something that will make them react to you; instead of giving them the time to anticipate.

Making the best thing to do five seconds later is worse than doing SOMETHING right away. You learn with experience to instinctively do the best thing; but until then, just DO SOMETHING. Don't hesitate.
Good quote. Totally agree.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Tuggy

Looking like a first round pick out there.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:54 PM
EveryDay

Best defenceman so far today again!!!

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Tinordi > O'Byrne

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:56 PM
LeMAD

It seems Tinordi has secured his spot with the Habs for the playoffs, and for next year. He's gonna be a good one for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Tinordi > O'Byrne
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Best defenceman so far today again!!!
No.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:58 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
It seems Tinordi has secured his spot with the Habs for the playoffs, and for next year. He's gonna be a good one for sure.

Yes

No.
To me he's the best defenceman so far today. Who's better today? Diaz and Gorges are meh and Subban took a bad penalty and don't tell me Bouillon.......Markov maybe?

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Roulin

Quote:
To me he's the best defenceman so far today. Who's better today? Diaz and Gorges are meh and Subban took a bad penalty and don't tell me Bouillon.......Markov maybe?
Every time the Habs get hemmed in their own zone, Tinordi and Bouillon are on the ice. I appreciate the kid's moxy. But he still has to learn how to make good, quick decisions with the puck.

Subban's penalty was a fluke, could've happened to anyone.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:52 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Subban took a bad penalty? Good god, won't somebody think of the children?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 691
Another real strong game, him and Subban had a great game.

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:30 AM
PricePkPatch

I really hope he pulls a Hal Gill in the playoffs. Let's see if Jerry is a Warrior

Old
04-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Any videos of his hit on Grabo and on Kulemin I think it was.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Tinordi has arrived, folks. Things will only get better from here.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Tinordi has arrived, folks. Things will only get better from here.
I wouldn't say he has "arrived" but he looks a lot more comfortable out there. I think he still has 2-3 years of progression left.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote