HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dryden and Savard...

Old
09-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Shatmat*

vCash: 500
Dryden and Savard...

will have their jersey retired this year

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/212793.html

(french only)

I won't be the one to disagree

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 05:13 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
Savard and Dryden jersey to be retired

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/212793.html

F. Duchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Habs To Announce Next Retired Numbers Tomorrow.

Per CKAC.

The Habs will announce the next retired numbers tomorrow. There will be two of them.

Speculation mentionned Larry Robinson, Serge Savard & Ken Dryden. Ron Fournier mentionned the possibility of someone being honored post-homusly. (Toe Blake?)

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Talent Analyst

Good news !! 2 player like them deserve it

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Robinson?!? Bueller? BUELLER?!?

Old
09-12-2006, 05:36 PM
mcphee

On the Team990, they didn't have the names yet, but they did say that the CH mentionned that players would be honored in order of when they began their time in Mtl. By that logic, Larry would be next. If they were excluding him, I'd be more than a little pissed.

Both are deserving players.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 05:50 PM
AH

Can't say I am happy about Dryden, but whatever ...

So that leaves how many numbers to retire? I had originally heard 8 players were to be retired in time for the 100th anniversary. We now know 5 of them, with three more to come ... Robinson, Roy, ??

Can anyone confirm the total number? Phil?

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 05:54 PM
madbox

No way could they exclude Big Bird.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
zednik20

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post
No way could they exclude Big Bird.
next year....

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Can't say I am happy about Dryden, but whatever ...

So that leaves how many numbers to retire? I had originally heard 8 players were to be retired in time for the 100th anniversary. We now know 5 of them, with three more to come ... Robinson, Roy, ??

Can anyone confirm the total number? Phil?

6 CUPS IN 8 YEARS
VEZINA AND CONN SMYTHE TROPHY WINNER
HALL OF FAMER
GREAT GOALIE

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 08:16 PM
tinyzombies

I could do without Dryden myself. Savard is a stretch too imo.

Robinson should have been up there 10 years ago.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 08:37 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Yeah Robinson should be there for sure!!

As for Savard and Dryden they both deserve it as well!

When will the dates be released??

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
They will all be raised to the rafter one after one until 2009.

At that point, IMO, the century is closed and no other player from 1909 to 2009 will ever be raised.

They already confirmed Roy and Robinson, I think for 2009...

Dont worry the Big Bird will be up there.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Yeah Robinson should be there for sure!!

As for Savard and Dryden they both deserve it as well!

When will the dates be released??
I don't think they do.

Dryden had a great run in the 1971 playoffs and was excellent in 1973, but he was overrated. The team in front of him did most of the work. Bernie Parent was better than him and Rogie Vachon probably was as well. Tony Espo and Dryden were about the same. I think we should have a higher standard.

Savard too, I dunno. He started out as an offensive defenseman and would have put up big numbers if he hadn't broken his leg. He was a stay-at-home defenseman after that and Robinson's partner. He was part of the Big Three, yeah, and was a star, yeah, but was he a superstar? No.

To me the only guys who should be up there who aren't are Robinson and Roy.

Old
09-12-2006, 09:35 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

I can't believe Robinson is going to get the shaft AGAIN. Its even more damning this year since Dryden and Savard were his teammates, He won two Norris trophies and was a cornerstone of the Habs for almost twenty years and still no respect?!

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 10:52 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

It has to be Robinson

I can't believe some of you don't think Dryden's number shouldn't be retired and Roy's number should be!!

Roy's number should NEVER be retired in Montreal, he abandoned the team in public. It was a classless act by a player who put himself before the team. I have never forgiven him for what he did. Yes, Trembley was a fool, but #33 has no business up in the rafters.

Larry Robinson deserves to be up there. The habs have shown a lack of respect for his service to the orginization for so many great years.

Savard is a bit of a stretch, but I wouldn't lose sleeo over it.

Ken Dryden was a classy player and his cups and creditentials can not be questioned. He's a Hall of Famer for crips sake!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 10:55 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I can't believe some of you don't think Dryden's number shouldn't be retired and Roy's number should be!!

Roy's number should NEVER be retired in Montreal, he abandoned the team in public. It was a classless act by a player who put himself before the team. I have never forgiven him for what he did. Yes, Trembley was a fool, but #33 has no business up in the rafters.

Larry Robinson deserves to be up there. The habs have shown a lack of respect for his service to the orginization for so many great years.

Savard is a bit of a stretch, but I wouldn't lose sleeo over it.

Ken Dryden was a classy player and his cups and creditentials can not be questioned. He's a Hall of Famer for crips sake!

I agree with you about Dryden he should be there for sure.

But Roy brought the habs 2 cups in 86 and 93 when the NHL had plethora of new teams than back in the 70's.
Roy also is the most winning goalie in NHL history!

He should be there - Habs management **** the bed

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Le Gros Bill

I think they're going forward by era in which they played and retired. Robinson and Roy could be in 2007-08 or 2008-09.

Le Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Although a possible explaination is that Robinson retired in 1992 (Yeah, he played damn long...) which is easily 10 years after Savard retired, and even more years after Dryden did.

Robinson is more "Modern" than Savard or Dryden, so the order kind of makes sense when you think about it. Even if these men are known to have played together and such.

Old
09-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Emile Bouchard #3 should be there,

the guy is 87 years old, are we waiting for him to die before we honored him?

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 05:26 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
Emile Bouchard #3 should be there,

the guy is 87 years old, are we waiting for him to die before we honored him?
Good point. If they are going by era, Butch should go first. If a guy like Savard gets his number in the rafters, Bouchard should too. What about Tom Johnson? Jacques Laperriere? Guy Lapointe?

I don't see why Serge should have his number retired, sorry.

And I'm not a big Dryden fan either. I saw him play, I'm not impressed enough to say he should have his number retired. If he played for the Penguins, nobody would even know his name today.

Roy is a bit of a stretch for me too, but he does have those performances in 86 and 93. Any other goalie and we don't win. But his regular season numbers are inflated by playing on defensive teams and then showing up in Colorado at the right time. He didn't show the same level of play in the regular season with a few exceptions.

But I blame management for what happened in 1996. After a series of ridiculous trades, they then started messing with Roy. Roy was the star of the team and they hire a coach (Tremblay) who made a living blasting Roy on the radio. No question Roy has got to go up in the rafters.

What makes it even more insulting to Robinson is that Serge Savard shafted him out of his retirement bonus when Serge was GM. This is the crux of the argument and of Robinson's estrangement from the organization. I think he now wants to be paid to have his number retired because he believes (rightly so if you know the details) that the team owes him money.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 09-13-2006 at 05:32 AM.
Old
09-13-2006, 07:34 AM
CGG

Too bad Darryl Shannon, Yves Racine, Jim Cummins and Gino Odjick have forever soiled the # 29. I don't know why they let anyone use that number after Dryden retired.

And unfortunately # 18 was worn by such duds as Bill Root, Tom Kurvers, and Valeri Bure. Fortunately they never let anyone else ever wear #19 or #33.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:34 AM
mabus

Re Ken Dryden:

Backstopped his team to a stanley cup win, in a season when no one was expecting the habs to win, earning the Con Smyth for himself as the leagues most valuable player in the playoffs. He followed this up by winning the Calder trophy as the leagues best rookie, the following season. He would go on to win the Vezina as the leagues best goalie on five seperate occaisions as well as being named to the first all-star team five times.

In 1972 he backstopped Team Canada in the most important hockey series ever held, the famed summit series vs the Soviets, winning the series 4 games to 3.

Uninformed people often dismiss Dryden because of the brevity of his carrear, but as short as it was, he packed a heck of a lot into.

In 7 seasons he lost only 57 games, while recording 46 shutouts in a total of only 397 games!! No other goalie {that i am aware of} has numbers anything remotely close to this, not even Patrick Roy. His carrear AVG was a scintellating 2.24.

In 1998 The Hocky News ranked Dryden as the 25th greatest player of all time.

After retiring he wrote what is generally considered to be the best book on hockey ever written "The Game". He served as Gm of the Tornto Maple Leafs from 1997-2004 when he joined the liberal party where he has since served as an MP. He is currently running for the liberal leadership, and potentially, could become the next Prime Minister

Re Serge Savard:

Innovator of the Savardian Spinorama {no it wasn't denis savard}, Former team captain. First Defenseman ever to win the Con Smyth for most valuable player in the playoffs even before Bobby Orr. He played on 8 Championship teams over a period of 17 years. Most of that time as a member of the famed "Big Three" defensive unit.

Served as Gm of the habs bringing us two cups, in 1986 and 1993, along with taking us to the finals in 1989.

Outside of hockey, he was named an "Officer of the Order of Canada" in 1994, and a "Knight of the National Order of Quebec" in 2004.

Does anyone want to seriously argue that either of them doesn't deserve this honor?

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Hockeymom67

This would be appropriate .I agree

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:52 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Although a possible explaination is that Robinson retired in 1992 (Yeah, he played damn long...) which is easily 10 years after Savard retired, and even more years after Dryden did.

Robinson is more "Modern" than Savard or Dryden, so the order kind of makes sense when you think about it. Even if these men are known to have played together and such.

Phil, if I understood it correctly, they are going by the year they began their careers. Savard, nit sure exactly was about 66 or 67, Dryden was 71. Robinson was 73 I think.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote