*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2013, 11:02 AM
SimonKnightsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
Hey all, really stupid question that I should know the answer to. Long story, I won't waste time on details unless somebody is really curious.

Who was the most recent Spitfire player to wear #55?

Obviously Young was the most memorable in recent years. Then there was Locke, but I'm sure there have been 1 or 2 people who have worn #55 since Locke.
J. Sciacca from 06/07

Old
04-27-2013, 11:17 AM
RayzorIsDull

CFaub I understand what you're saying but I have a hard time believing somebody who considers themselves such a dyed in the wool Spitfire fan wouldn't care how London does. I don't think you could find a die hard Habs fan that is rooting for the Leafs to win the Stanley Cup. I doubt you will find a die hard Giants fan not caring if the Dodgers win the World Series. I understand the part of letting it go but there's a difference between wanting your rival to do well and not wanting your rival to do well. I am of the opinion London doing well isn't good for business of Windsor.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:37 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
It's over man...OVER!!

Quote:
Half the fun of being a fan should be to have someone who is a fan of another team to rub it into when you win and then to suffer the consequences of being on the other end when you lose.

To be able to hang out with someone, have a drink or two with them while you debate your respective teams makes for a good time when you're winning and can still be a good time even when you lose.
Some close friends of mine are Wings fans, and some close friends of ours are Leafs or Habs fans. Makes for great conversation during hockey season.

Quote:
CFaub I understand what you're saying but I have a hard time believing somebody who considers themselves such a dyed in the wool Spitfire fan wouldn't care how London does.
You can have a hard time believing anything you want. That doesn't make it false, though. People are allowed to show curiosity and interest in other teams, not from a "GO (insert team here) GO!" point, but from a "if they win, I won't be upset" point. Am I happy London won last night? No...mainly because I wanted to go to Plymouth on Sunday, haha. Fact is, though, that I know London fans and I'm not against them winning, so my buddies get a chance to party. I KNOW you enjoy a good OHL party, so why is it so bad if I want buddies to be able to enjoy the same thing, if it's not at our expense?

Quote:
I am of the opinion London doing well isn't good for business of Windsor.
Why?

Old
04-27-2013, 11:45 AM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
Some of these conversations between thre different fanbases are simply hilarious.

I wonder how many people on here have actually played any sport at a competitive level and realize that most of these players/owners etc. must laugh at how some of the fans feel about each other and other teams.

I know playing travel hockey growing up we left it on the ice, played the game but afterwards we would be in the lobby, talking and hanging out with the same kids we played and fought against just a few minutes before.

"Fans" can't let go though. They take it personal so that they can find some way to connect themselves to the team, have something to hold onto and find a reason to "hate" someone else.

It's a wannabe gang mentality that is pretty funny at times.

Half the fun of being a fan should be to have someone who is a fan of another team to rub it into when you win and then to suffer the consequences of being on the other end when you lose.

To be able to hang out with someone, have a drink or two with them while you debate your respective teams makes for a good time when you're winning and can still be a good time even when you lose.

As for the conspiracy theories out there... give it a break.

Branch is a lot of things but to try to set up one team as the be all end all of the league will eventually lead to the league itself disappearing. If you think he has London as his favourite team then you need to realize that without the other 19 teams he has no league and in the end no well paying job.

If he were that much against the rest of the league do you not think the rest of the owners would get rid of him?

He doesn't own the league, he works for it. He is paid to run the league on behalf of the owners who own the different franchises. He is supposed to be the businessman of the league while the owners are the investors. They want a return on their investment and count on him to supply it.

He may not come across as the smartest hockey person but the owners obviously support what and how he is doing things since all he is really doing is enforcing the rules that the owners have set.

If he had the fix in for London year after year then I think 19 other owners would fire him pretty quickly.

As for the Spits themselves, this organization is quickly becoming very similar to Riolo in how they are handling things.

We have all ripped on Riolo in the past and how poor he did things but this group, with all that has gone on seems to still be getting a pass on many of the problems surrounding the team.

There is a lack of accountability at all levels and while things may happen beyond the owners control at times there does not seem to be any urgency to handling it properly.

I've refrained from commenting much this past season and what I have been ranting about is why.

The organization has become somewhat questionable in how they have done things.

Some of the fans seem more interested in rehashing the same old things, good or bad and the conversation has become quite boring at times.

This team needs an overhaul, off the ice the organization needs to refocus on what they are doing, on the ice they need a few more kids that want to be there instead of simply expecting to be there. The entitlement attitude appears to go from top to bottom.

This team is not deserving of hosting the Memorial Cup, they don't have the product and the off ice issues certainly reflect poorly on the entire organization.

They have a few more years of sanctions and until those are done with they should not even consider bidding on hosting. They should focus on rebuilding the on ice and off ice product and regain some respectability at all levels.
I agree entirely except I do not find the bickering funny, I find it extremely tiring.

I have stated the idea of a return to the Riola reputation before and reading other teams' fans quotes here, is beginning to confirm my thoughts.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:08 PM
RayzorIsDull

Fluff I think you will have more Windsor stuff to talk about in the future.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:19 PM
aresknights

Good posts Cfaub, OHLTG. Agreed.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:48 PM
cfaub

Coach, it does get tiring and repetitive. I have stayed away from this board for a couple of weeks at a time this season and found I could catch up on almost everything reading the last page of posts, the conversation stays the same pretty much.

Razor, it's not about cheering for another team, when Windsor is done for the season I really could care less who wins after that. If I am talking to a fan of another team who rubs it in a bit so be it, when Windsor is winning they'll get the same from me, part of the fun of being a fan, enjoying bragging rights etc.

Coaches and players do it from opposing teams, so many of them are lifelong friends yet some fans are so obsessed with their teams that they can't separate following the team from reality it seems.

I played 8 years of travel hockey, was a smaller goaltender who had a number of incidents happen and after the game unless it was a blatant cheap shot with intent to injure I had a number of conversations with opposing players.

Playing for Riverside when you played based on boundaries I knew and at times hung out with a number of Windsor players but on the ice it was about the game.

Fans need to learn that part of the game. Cheer on your team by all means but having a 'hate' for other fanbases just ruins good conversations.

Being a Wings fan I enjoy picking on Leafs fans but I certainly have no issue discussing the game with them and rubbing in the 46 years of futility that the Leafs are. Wings are going through a down time and I am getting some it back from them, good for them, it goes both ways.

Just because I can discuss the games with them and throw barbs back and forth doesn't mean I will cheer on their team, not happening but I can still enjoy the conversation.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

CFaub to each their own, I am only speaking to my personal interactions and have never had a good experience in London with their fans. I don't see why I should want to see their fans enjoy success.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Ottomatic

Wow, I've never heard somebody brag about being a travel hockey player since I was in grade school. Only "fans" at travel hockey games are hockey mom's and dad's who are spending thousands of dollars a year on their kid because Johnny is going to play in the NHL. Hockey Mom vs Hockey Mom in the stands - can't we all just get along?

Pistons hated Boston and LA. And the feeling was mutual.

Part of the problem in sports today is what you're trying to sell as it's benefit. Players don't really care about winning - they're paid to pretend to. Nothing more asinine than the planned fights, and then the tap on the head "respect" crap after the linesmen break it up.

If I wanted fake I'd watch the WWE. Hoping your main rival does well - whats the point of being a fan at all?

Old
04-27-2013, 04:36 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
CFaub to each their own, I am only speaking to my personal interactions and have never had a good experience in London with their fans. I don't see why I should want to see their fans enjoy success.
I read their posts more as "who cares" if they win once the Spits are done, as opposed to " wanting it" but could be wrong.
It's too bad you've never had a good London exp. Was it a one time or numerous? If it was once, i dont get ur hate. I get that it would leave a bitter taste for you if it was numerous times but I'd also have to wonder why so many others have had no issues or actually had positive interactions?

Old
04-27-2013, 05:02 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
You're interacting with the wrong fans, then. Meet the NOOF boys (and a couple here on HF); they're legit. I've hung with them every summer for the last decade and it's one of my summer highlights now.

Quote:
I read their posts more as "who cares" if they win once the Spits are done, as opposed to " wanting it" but could be wrong.
That's exactly what it is; I don't care if they win. If they win, I'll be happy for my buddies. If they lose, great, cause it's London.

Quote:
I don't see why I should want to see their fans enjoy success.
Does this mean everyone else should hate everything London, too?

Old
04-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

I sold OHLTG a ticket to come to London, nice guy...knows his hockey. We chirp our teams a bit but all good. A kid was at his first game beside me so I got him an autographed puck. Ive bought opposing fans a drink.
Good fans are out there, but you can have bad experiences too...just about anywhere.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:51 AM
cfaub

Quote:
Rayzor I think we have all had bad experiences with other teams fans I certainly had some as a 10 year old kid around the Barn back in the mid 70s. I also saw some other teams fans who didn't hesitate to tell their counterparts to shut up and act respectable. There are idiots everywhere but painting them all with the same brush is no better.

As for cheering on another team when Windsor is out, not what I do. If I happen to know someone who is the fan of another team that is still playing I know I will hear it from them, they'll take their shots at Windsor and the way Windsor has played it is deserved but it is all in good fun, it is nothing personal against me or from me towards them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Wow, I've never heard somebody brag about being a travel hockey player since I was in grade school. Only "fans" at travel hockey games are hockey mom's and dad's who are spending thousands of dollars a year on their kid because Johnny is going to play in the NHL. Hockey Mom vs Hockey Mom in the stands - can't we all just get along?

Pistons hated Boston and LA. And the feeling was mutual.

Part of the problem in sports today is what you're trying to sell as it's benefit. Players don't really care about winning - they're paid to pretend to. Nothing more asinine than the planned fights, and then the tap on the head "respect" crap after the linesmen break it up.

If I wanted fake I'd watch the WWE. Hoping your main rival does well - whats the point of being a fan at all?
Ottomatic I guess you missed my point. It's not about bragging about playing travel hockey as a kid it is about the fact that kids that are 9 to 15 years old are mature enough to know the difference between what happens on the ice and what happens off the ice.

You hit the ice, play the game and move on. These kids 16 to 20 years old are kids that for the most part know each other, play the game/the season then go home and work out together, hang out together etc. The owners get together and hang out, go on vacations with each other etc. These are the ones who have the most invested in their respective teams and they can get beyond what goes on out on the ice but fans, most of whom are supposed to be adults can't get passed the colour of the jersey someone else cheers for.

I guess it comes down to how many people have so much invested in the team they cheer for that nothing else matters?

Anyone who is that invested as a fan needs to get a life.

I know for a fact that even the owners of these teams who have a financial stake in what goes on both on and off the ice do not feel a need to hate another team or organization to demonstrate how much they support their own team.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Ottomatic

Yeah because playing travel hockey as a 10 year old is at all comparable. Your only fans were your parents (and siblings dragged to the rink), teammates parents and opposing teams parents.

You can play all high and mighty all you want, but without hardcore fans and team/fan rivalries there would be no professional sports. And there would be no Spitfires, and you wouldn't have played travel hockey and scored your sweet melton and leather jacket with the word "Travel" embroidered on it somewhere. But hey, you played in front of "fans" once so you have great insights on fans and how they need to get a life.

Hell, some here claim to have connection directly to Boughner, so pitch him your marketing slogan - "Windsor Spitfire Fans - Get a Life!" or "WFCU - home of the golf-clap".

Last edited by Ottomatic: 04-28-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 11:55 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken..didn't you come to London one time a few seasons back with a group that included OHLTG among others? I thought we had met(maybe I'm wrong)...I don't recall being anything but welcoming any time I've met fans from out of town. Like I've said before...perhaps it's just you.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:05 PM
coachfluffy

Rumour of New Partner

Something new for the London people to snipe at.

Bobby Murray has posted a rumour that Rocco Tullio may be a new partner with the Spits. Not sure what he will do with Oshawa if that is the case.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:28 PM
cfaub

Quote:
Yeah because playing travel hockey as a 10 year old is at all comparable. Your only fans were your parents (and siblings dragged to the rink), teammates parents and opposing teams parents.

You can play all high and mighty all you want, but without hardcore fans and team/fan rivalries there would be no professional sports. And there would be no Spitfires, and you wouldn't have played travel hockey and scored your sweet melton and leather jacket with the word "Travel" embroidered on it somewhere. But hey, you played in front of "fans" once so you have great insights on fans and how they need to get a life.

Hell, some here claim to have connection directly to Boughner, so pitch him your marketing slogan - "Windsor Spitfire Fans - Get a Life!" or "WFCU - home of the golf-clap".
Ottomatic - So those 15 year olds going into their OHL draft year who do the same things are not at all comparable as far as the players go?

What pro teams are you a fan of? Do you associate with fans of any other pro team out there? Are you a Leafs/Wings or Habs fan who associates or may even have family members that are fans of one of the other teams?

Do you refuse to associate with anyone who is a fan of those teams whether it be a parent, child, sibling, co worker or whoever simply because they cheer for another team?

While I don't know Boughner or anyone involved with the team now it has been very well documented that they all associate and maintain good friendships with people in other organizations. Pretty amazing how the owner can associate with the "enemy" yet the "hardcore" fans aren't capable of handling it.

How many pro players come here or go elsewhere from different teams to train together in the off season, even other junior players who work out in the off season with Spit's players?

All professional sports must be on the verge of collapsing since players in al sports do this same thing.

What a life some of these hardcore fans must lead, they can only associate with those who share the same hardcore interest in their team and regardless of whatever else may exist their team and their allegiance to it is all that matters.

Sounds pretty silly but hey if thats what counts enjoy the ride.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:04 PM
youngblood10

I doubt anyone gives a crap who OHLTG hangs around or who cheers for what team. I know I don't. But for any hardcore Spits fan to not want the Knights to fail is a weirdo. I'll bet my last dollar not one of those good London fan buddies want the Spits to do well because OHLTG is a nice guy.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Jackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
Something new for the London people to snipe at.

Bobby Murray has posted a rumour that Rocco Tullio may be a new partner with the Spits. Not sure what he will do with Oshawa if that is the case.
Who is Bobby Murray?

Old
04-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Who is Bobby Murray?
He takes pictures around the OHL. He's been around the league since forever... but have no idea what connections he has.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:42 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Who is Bobby Murray?
He's a very knowledgeable guy who basically runs the OHL alumni web site. Often see him on facebook and twitter. Normally not one to comment on rumour.
@OHLMurray

Old
04-28-2013, 02:22 PM
RangerDanger

From an article in 2007 when he bought int the generals:

"A lifelong fan of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks, Tullio explored buying the Spitfires before Bob Boughner, Warren Rychel and Pete Dobrich bought the team from Riolo in 2006."

Old
04-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Ottomatic

Tullio would have to sell his 50% share in the Gennies, so would probably want a sizeable share in the Spits to do so. I'd guess Dobrich was looking to get out as folks say he wasn't around the arena nearly as much this year, but he's a small minority owner. Boughner would probably be selling some of his big majority, though assume he'd look to keep 51% for himself.

Would be good to get a guy who has business interests outside of the Spits with a good sized chunk of ownership.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 04-28-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Libbs

And people think Rychel has big ego problems!

Old
04-28-2013, 02:45 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Tullio would have to sell his 50% share in the Gennies, so would probably want a sizeable share in the Spits to do so. I'd guess Dobrich was looking to get out as folks say he wasn't around the arena nearly as much this year, but he's a small minority owner. Boughner would probably be selling some of his big majority, though assume he'd look to keep 51% for himself.

Would be good to get a guy who has business interests outside of the Spits with a good sized chunk of ownership.
There has been rumour of Rychel wanting out as well. Rocco is a good business man and more importantly, good at PR. As do most successful people, he also has his share of arragance but would take a back seat to Rychel on that.

Closed Thread