HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(3) Washington Capitals VS (6) New York Rangers (Schedule in Post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2013, 10:37 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
You can tell its playoff time. The heavy homers and the doom and gloom is out on both sides. And both threads are filled with "I'm so bored with playing Carps/Rags"

Keep OV frustrated and you guys will have a good shot. If he gets rolling the team will feed off him and you may be in trouble.

I suspect you will see an OV you have not seen in a few years. I am not sure what it is he lost for two years. But what ever it is its back in big way.

A lot of people are says "The Caps were only a point better in a weaker division" This is true but for the Caps this has been two seasons. They were also close to 10 points behind you guys at the break. And have been a diffident team the past month.

I hope to see Stall on the ice for game.
I don't think the Caps have quite the offensive support for Ovechkin as they've had in the past. Still have Backstrom and Green and Ribeiro is another good set up guy but no Semin--no Fedorov and an even better or deeper Rangers defense than last year--that's at least if Staal is back--whatever--there's not going to be a #6 like Bickel planted on the bench all night long this time around. I like Nash better than Gaborik as well. We will have to stay out of the penalty box though.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:44 PM
3rd Guy High

Another thing, we need to make sure we have good defensively responsible lines out there against Green as much as possible. Pin him in his own zone. Preferably Hags-Step-Callahan

Old
04-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Holocene

I think Stepan will be our biggest forward in the playoffs. He gon earn dat check.

Also: We really need Boyle back for the PK, any word on him?

Old
04-27-2013, 10:47 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
You can tell its playoff time. The heavy homers and the doom and gloom is out on both sides. And both threads are filled with "I'm so bored with playing Carps/Rags"

Keep OV frustrated and you guys will have a good shot. If he gets rolling the team will feed off him and you may be in trouble.

I suspect you will see an OV you have not seen in a few years. I am not sure what it is he lost for two years. But what ever it is its back in big way.

A lot of people are says "The Caps were only a point better in a weaker division" This is true but for the Caps this has been two seasons. They were also close to 10 points behind you guys at the break. And have been a diffident team the past month.

I hope to see Stall on the ice for game.
While part of me is tired of this matchup, I think this year is especially interesting because both teams have had poor starts and recently have looked sort of reborn. It'll be interesting to see if either or both of them falter and get back into bad habits.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Honest series synopsis:

Washington has been hot. We have been hot. We've played slightly easier opponents, but we'd be ranked far higher had we played the Canadian teams when they began to slump and we were peaking... as opposed to playing them when we were slumping and they were peaking.

Ovechkin is gonna be a match up nightmare. Even with Staal. Theres no guarantee he's in playoff shape, or even if he's in shape to play. After his dramatic come back against the Flyers in the WC last year i'm not ruling out a comeback in the 1st game of the playoffs... If he can come back, and be dominant, our defense becomes scary. Anyway, back to Ovechkin. He'll be a nightmare against Girardi and McDonough together, he'll be double and triple shifted every game too. He has really elevated his game.

But this series won't be won by him. It'll be won in the trenches and by the tenders. Players like Chimaera and Hagelin are gonna be key. The goalies are going to be huge. Holtby has not looked as dominant as he did last year. He stole 3 games for them last year. Lately, he's been rather meh. Our offense is clicking at the right time, and most importantly Henrik is clicking at the right time.

Washington isn't the best match up for us, but we're also not the best match up for them. I think Holtby is going to be BARRAGED with shots from this Rangers team. The way the defense has been chipping in lately, my lord, this series is all going to come down to how well the goalies play. The top 2 lines are going to stay the same heading into this series. Clowe and Dorsett (yes I think both will be back by game 1) returning will mean our 3rd line is going to be a solid checking line, and so will our 4th. Additionally, the main reason we're not a good match up for them... We've now played them 4/5 years with the same coach. He knows what works best 5/5. Why they've been so successful this year... their powerplay. Its downright unreal. Stay out of the box, this series is a cake walk. Go in the box... it'll be short and we'll be golfing before May 10.

Hope that Staal is able to come back, purely for pairing purposes. Can't rely on Girardi to play 30+ minutes like he did in Carolina. Otherwise, the keys to this series: 1) STAY OUT OF THE BOX 2) Win the trenches 3) Henrik has to be exponentially better than Holtby.

It's a winnable series. Its a losable series. This isn't like when we played the Thrashers as a 6 seed years ago. We'll lose if we're not focused and allowing power play chances and crazy odd man rushes. We'll win if we play like we did against the Penguins and Maple Leafs to begin this streak we've had going into the playoffs.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:49 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Caps are hot no doubt. Key is gonna be staying out of the box.

Should be fun. And by fun I mean over/under on heart attacks is 1.5.0

04-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
I think Stepan will be our biggest forward in the playoffs. He gon earn dat check.

Also: We really need Boyle back for the PK, any word on him?
As far as I know, he hasn't even been on the ice. Not a good sign at all. Seems to be a big injury to his leg.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by li97 View Post
Another thing, we need to make sure we have good defensively responsible lines out there against Green as much as possible. Pin him in his own zone. Preferably Hags-Step-Callahan
Green is really a nonfactor unless we put him on the power play 3+ times a game.

Henrik needs to come up huge in this series.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:05 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
As far as I know, he hasn't even been on the ice. Not a good sign at all. Seems to be a big injury to his leg.
And no Halpern so I don't know who Tortorella can rely on to take big defensive zone draws and win them.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Rick Nash and OV are the biggest factors here. If both show up, it'll be VERY interesting.

The up side is, we've won without Nash producing a ton. He's the player who usually pushes us over the top of a game.

The Caps without OV....well, yeah. Not going anywhere.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:12 PM
RangerBlues

I expect the Caps to play dirty and physical.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
The problem with the Capitals is their speed and mobility. They'll expose a team defense very easily. And OV getting hot at the right time.....not a good matchup.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:18 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
I say Rangers in 6.

Not gunna be easy, but we have played well against the caps this year.

04-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

I always feel pretty confident against the Caps.

OV really, really hates us. Get under his skin, get him off his game, get him out of the post-season.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:21 PM
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist

For some reason I always think it's so weird when NYRangers88 posts. He seems like the secret mod

Old
04-27-2013, 11:21 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Why is everyone worried about Ovechkin.

Carlson and Chimera are our top priorities.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:23 PM
mad4comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I don't think the Caps have quite the offensive support for Ovechkin as they've had in the past. Still have Backstrom and Green and Ribeiro is another good set up guy but no Semin--no Fedorov and an even better or deeper Rangers defense than last year--that's at least if Staal is back--whatever--there's not going to be a #6 like Bickel planted on the bench all night long this time around. I like Nash better than Gaborik as well. We will have to stay out of the penalty box though.
I'd argue, this team is 2nd only to the 09/10 Caps team.

Ovechkin - Goals leader
Brouwer - 19 goals, good for #13
Backstrom - Top 5 Assists
Ribeiro - Top 5 Assists
Green - #1 in goals among D-men.

Brouwer + Ribeiro > Semin + 40 year old Fedorov

Old
04-27-2013, 11:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Have a bad feeling we get rolled. Please, please let me be wrong.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4comp View Post
I'd argue, this team is 2nd only to the 09/10 Caps team.

Ovechkin - Goals leader
Brouwer - 19 goals, good for #13
Backstrom - Top 5 Assists
Ribeiro - Top 5 Assists
Green - #1 in goals among D-men.

Brouwer + Ribeiro > Semin + 40 year old Fedorov
Maybe. But Semin was guarenteed to score a least once a game on Hank with his damn wrist shots.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:25 PM
mad4comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I say Rangers in 6.

Not gunna be easy, but we have played well against the caps this year.
We know how much regular season victories help in the Playoffs right? Remember '11?

Old
04-27-2013, 11:25 PM
mad4comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Maybe. But Semin was guarenteed to score a least once a game on Hank with his damn wrist shots.
That's what we have Carlson for...

Old
04-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
That's what we have Carlson for...
Yeah. Him too.

Any goalless rookies playing for Washington? they're guarantees to score as well.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:36 PM
mad4comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Yeah. Him too.

Any goalless rookies playing for Washington? they're guarantees to score as well.
Well... we do have stone-hands Chimera.. Guaranteed to score against the Rangers.. but no one else.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Well... we do have stone-hands Chimera.. Guaranteed to score against the Rangers.. but no one else.
Can't wait for him! The king of flukey goals against the Rangers.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Zenith, Bob, Parker, 2k2, Fitzy.

Can one of you ban me from the series discussion on the main boards? I can't help myself, and I'm going to get into trouble.
Just stay out of it.