HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(3) Washington Capitals VS (6) New York Rangers (Schedule in Post #1)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-27-2013, 10:37 PM
  #126
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
You can tell its playoff time. The heavy homers and the doom and gloom is out on both sides. And both threads are filled with "I'm so bored with playing Carps/Rags"

Keep OV frustrated and you guys will have a good shot. If he gets rolling the team will feed off him and you may be in trouble.

I suspect you will see an OV you have not seen in a few years. I am not sure what it is he lost for two years. But what ever it is its back in big way.

A lot of people are says "The Caps were only a point better in a weaker division" This is true but for the Caps this has been two seasons. They were also close to 10 points behind you guys at the break. And have been a diffident team the past month.

I hope to see Stall on the ice for game.
I don't think the Caps have quite the offensive support for Ovechkin as they've had in the past. Still have Backstrom and Green and Ribeiro is another good set up guy but no Semin--no Fedorov and an even better or deeper Rangers defense than last year--that's at least if Staal is back--whatever--there's not going to be a #6 like Bickel planted on the bench all night long this time around. I like Nash better than Gaborik as well. We will have to stay out of the penalty box though.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 10:44 PM
  #127
3rd Guy High
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Another thing, we need to make sure we have good defensively responsible lines out there against Green as much as possible. Pin him in his own zone. Preferably Hags-Step-Callahan

3rd Guy High is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 10:47 PM
  #128
Holocene
Registered User
 
Holocene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,431
vCash: 500
I think Stepan will be our biggest forward in the playoffs. He gon earn dat check.

Also: We really need Boyle back for the PK, any word on him?

Holocene is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 10:47 PM
  #129
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
You can tell its playoff time. The heavy homers and the doom and gloom is out on both sides. And both threads are filled with "I'm so bored with playing Carps/Rags"

Keep OV frustrated and you guys will have a good shot. If he gets rolling the team will feed off him and you may be in trouble.

I suspect you will see an OV you have not seen in a few years. I am not sure what it is he lost for two years. But what ever it is its back in big way.

A lot of people are says "The Caps were only a point better in a weaker division" This is true but for the Caps this has been two seasons. They were also close to 10 points behind you guys at the break. And have been a diffident team the past month.

I hope to see Stall on the ice for game.
While part of me is tired of this matchup, I think this year is especially interesting because both teams have had poor starts and recently have looked sort of reborn. It'll be interesting to see if either or both of them falter and get back into bad habits.

haveandare is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 10:49 PM
  #130
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,129
vCash: 500
Honest series synopsis:

Washington has been hot. We have been hot. We've played slightly easier opponents, but we'd be ranked far higher had we played the Canadian teams when they began to slump and we were peaking... as opposed to playing them when we were slumping and they were peaking.

Ovechkin is gonna be a match up nightmare. Even with Staal. Theres no guarantee he's in playoff shape, or even if he's in shape to play. After his dramatic come back against the Flyers in the WC last year i'm not ruling out a comeback in the 1st game of the playoffs... If he can come back, and be dominant, our defense becomes scary. Anyway, back to Ovechkin. He'll be a nightmare against Girardi and McDonough together, he'll be double and triple shifted every game too. He has really elevated his game.

But this series won't be won by him. It'll be won in the trenches and by the tenders. Players like Chimaera and Hagelin are gonna be key. The goalies are going to be huge. Holtby has not looked as dominant as he did last year. He stole 3 games for them last year. Lately, he's been rather meh. Our offense is clicking at the right time, and most importantly Henrik is clicking at the right time.

Washington isn't the best match up for us, but we're also not the best match up for them. I think Holtby is going to be BARRAGED with shots from this Rangers team. The way the defense has been chipping in lately, my lord, this series is all going to come down to how well the goalies play. The top 2 lines are going to stay the same heading into this series. Clowe and Dorsett (yes I think both will be back by game 1) returning will mean our 3rd line is going to be a solid checking line, and so will our 4th. Additionally, the main reason we're not a good match up for them... We've now played them 4/5 years with the same coach. He knows what works best 5/5. Why they've been so successful this year... their powerplay. Its downright unreal. Stay out of the box, this series is a cake walk. Go in the box... it'll be short and we'll be golfing before May 10.

Hope that Staal is able to come back, purely for pairing purposes. Can't rely on Girardi to play 30+ minutes like he did in Carolina. Otherwise, the keys to this series: 1) STAY OUT OF THE BOX 2) Win the trenches 3) Henrik has to be exponentially better than Holtby.

It's a winnable series. Its a losable series. This isn't like when we played the Thrashers as a 6 seed years ago. We'll lose if we're not focused and allowing power play chances and crazy odd man rushes. We'll win if we play like we did against the Penguins and Maple Leafs to begin this streak we've had going into the playoffs.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 10:49 PM
  #131
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 10,346
vCash: 500
Caps are hot no doubt. Key is gonna be staying out of the box.

Should be fun. And by fun I mean over/under on heart attacks is 1.5.0

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now  
Old
04-27-2013, 10:52 PM
  #132
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
I think Stepan will be our biggest forward in the playoffs. He gon earn dat check.

Also: We really need Boyle back for the PK, any word on him?
As far as I know, he hasn't even been on the ice. Not a good sign at all. Seems to be a big injury to his leg.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 10:53 PM
  #133
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by li97 View Post
Another thing, we need to make sure we have good defensively responsible lines out there against Green as much as possible. Pin him in his own zone. Preferably Hags-Step-Callahan
Green is really a nonfactor unless we put him on the power play 3+ times a game.

Henrik needs to come up huge in this series.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:05 PM
  #134
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,949
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
As far as I know, he hasn't even been on the ice. Not a good sign at all. Seems to be a big injury to his leg.
And no Halpern so I don't know who Tortorella can rely on to take big defensive zone draws and win them.

NYR94 is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:09 PM
  #135
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Rick Nash and OV are the biggest factors here. If both show up, it'll be VERY interesting.

The up side is, we've won without Nash producing a ton. He's the player who usually pushes us over the top of a game.

The Caps without OV....well, yeah. Not going anywhere.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:12 PM
  #136
RangerBlues
Registered User
 
RangerBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BRONX NYC
Posts: 1,994
vCash: 500
I expect the Caps to play dirty and physical.

RangerBlues is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:16 PM
  #137
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,984
vCash: 50
The problem with the Capitals is their speed and mobility. They'll expose a team defense very easily. And OV getting hot at the right time.....not a good matchup.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:18 PM
  #138
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15
 
NyRangers88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,474
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
I say Rangers in 6.

Not gunna be easy, but we have played well against the caps this year.

__________________
2013-2014 Eastern Conference Champions!!
NyRangers88 is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:20 PM
  #139
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
I always feel pretty confident against the Caps.

OV really, really hates us. Get under his skin, get him off his game, get him out of the post-season.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:21 PM
  #140
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
For some reason I always think it's so weird when NYRangers88 posts. He seems like the secret mod

JohnC is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:21 PM
  #141
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,045
vCash: 500
Why is everyone worried about Ovechkin.

Carlson and Chimera are our top priorities.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:23 PM
  #142
mad4comp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I don't think the Caps have quite the offensive support for Ovechkin as they've had in the past. Still have Backstrom and Green and Ribeiro is another good set up guy but no Semin--no Fedorov and an even better or deeper Rangers defense than last year--that's at least if Staal is back--whatever--there's not going to be a #6 like Bickel planted on the bench all night long this time around. I like Nash better than Gaborik as well. We will have to stay out of the penalty box though.
I'd argue, this team is 2nd only to the 09/10 Caps team.

Ovechkin - Goals leader
Brouwer - 19 goals, good for #13
Backstrom - Top 5 Assists
Ribeiro - Top 5 Assists
Green - #1 in goals among D-men.

Brouwer + Ribeiro > Semin + 40 year old Fedorov

mad4comp is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:23 PM
  #143
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,949
vCash: 50
Awards:
Have a bad feeling we get rolled. Please, please let me be wrong.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:24 PM
  #144
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4comp View Post
I'd argue, this team is 2nd only to the 09/10 Caps team.

Ovechkin - Goals leader
Brouwer - 19 goals, good for #13
Backstrom - Top 5 Assists
Ribeiro - Top 5 Assists
Green - #1 in goals among D-men.

Brouwer + Ribeiro > Semin + 40 year old Fedorov
Maybe. But Semin was guarenteed to score a least once a game on Hank with his damn wrist shots.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:25 PM
  #145
mad4comp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I say Rangers in 6.

Not gunna be easy, but we have played well against the caps this year.
We know how much regular season victories help in the Playoffs right? Remember '11?

mad4comp is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:25 PM
  #146
mad4comp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Maybe. But Semin was guarenteed to score a least once a game on Hank with his damn wrist shots.
That's what we have Carlson for...

mad4comp is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:33 PM
  #147
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4comp View Post
That's what we have Carlson for...
Yeah. Him too.

Any goalless rookies playing for Washington? they're guarantees to score as well.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:36 PM
  #148
mad4comp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Yeah. Him too.

Any goalless rookies playing for Washington? they're guarantees to score as well.
Well... we do have stone-hands Chimera.. Guaranteed to score against the Rangers.. but no one else.

mad4comp is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:38 PM
  #149
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4comp View Post
Well... we do have stone-hands Chimera.. Guaranteed to score against the Rangers.. but no one else.
Can't wait for him! The king of flukey goals against the Rangers.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:52 PM
  #150
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Zenith, Bob, Parker, 2k2, Fitzy.

Can one of you ban me from the series discussion on the main boards? I can't help myself, and I'm going to get into trouble.
Just stay out of it.

__________________
Jabroni is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.