HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Iron Man 3

Old
04-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

vCash: 500
How was Jon Favreau's work with the first two?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:00 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Iron Man was fantastic but Iron Man 2 was pretty much unanimously "not as good as the first".

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Can't wait to see Iron Man 3!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:28 AM
nudie

Very average movie, gave it a 5/10 on imdb.

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:35 PM
USC Trojans
AD

without spoiling anything, it should've been named "The Adventures of Tony Stark" instead of "Iron Man 3"

Better than the 2nd, but not nearly as good as the 1st.

Surprisingly a lot of funny moments though. Probably would rate it a 7/10

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Was there a scene during/after the credits?

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:07 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Was there a scene during/after the credits?
yes, but nothing particularly exciting about it.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:45 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post

Never heard or read why Edward Norton didn't play Hulk but I liked Ruffalo's performance in this movie as Banner.
Late in seeing this, but basically they didn't like his constant notes on the character and didn't think he'd work within the ensemble structure of the film. I actually loved Norton as Banner, and I'm not a Hulk fan, but Ruffalo worked just fine for what was needed.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:59 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
How was Jon Favreau's work with the first two?
The first remains one of the best origin stories I've ever seen for a comic book movie (though people will complain about Obadiah Stane's screen time). The action sequences are by far the best, and the storyline was nothing short of amazing to see unfold. Definitely the one to watch out of the two.

The second's story line is extremely lackluster in comparison to IM1 (I blame this on the fact that Marvel butchered the origin story of Whiplash...which doesn't even follow comic continuity, or at least keep some kind of tradition going), however, it goes without saying that their action sequences/fights were pretty good. If anything, it's still an enjoyable watch, though it lacks the feel of IM1.

Last edited by JS19: 04-26-2013 at 12:49 AM.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
yes, but nothing particularly exciting about it.
I take it you didn't recognize the "doctor"?

Old
04-27-2013, 12:50 PM
shello
@WShello9

Just saw it, not as good as the 1st like someone else said but still a lot of fun. Don't want to spoil anything for anyone so I won't say much, but going into this movie following every spoiler posted online and other things, things still surprised me and were unexpected. Solid movie.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Just saw it, not as good as the 1st like someone else said but still a lot of fun. Don't want to spoil anything for anyone so I won't say much, but going into this movie following every spoiler posted online and other things, things still surprised me and were unexpected. Solid movie.
Pretty much agree with everything you said. If the first Iron Man was 9/10 and the second a 7-/10, then this was 8½/10. Starts a little bit a slowly or melancholic or something but really picks up in the latter half. Couple of thing I didn't see coming, a kid character/actor surprised me how well they worked with Stark/RDJ. Really funny moments especially in the second half. Ben Kingsley almost steals this one but not in the way people thought. One could also almost say the film went a similar path to Dark Knight Rises but unlike that, didn't eff it up in the end.

I'll limit more detailed comments until it's out in NA, but I'll just say that I thought I had managed to successfully erase Eiffel 65's "Blue" from playing in my head (along with the latter half of the 90's but Iron Man 3 brought it back...

Last edited by Jussi: 04-27-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old
04-27-2013, 03:18 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Pretty much agree with everything you said. If the first Iron Man was 9/10 and the second a 7-/10, then this was 8½/10. Starts a little bit a slowly or melancholic or something but really picks up in the latter half. Couple of thing I didn't see coming, a kid character/actor surprised me how well they worked with Stark/RDJ. Really funny moments especially in the second half. Ben Kingsley almost steals this one but not in the way people thought. One could also almost say the film went a similar path to Dark Knight Rises but unlike that, didn't eff it up in the end.

I'll limit more detailed comments until it's out in NA, but I'll just say that I thought I had managed to successfully erase Eiffel 65's "Blue" from playing in my head (along with the latter half of the 90's but Iron Man 3 brought it back...
Usually don't like kid actors or when they mix in a child in these type of films, but I agree, they worked him in very well and had good chemistry.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:52 PM
JD12

Brutal twist, ruins the movie. So stupid that's all I'll say.

JD12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD12 View Post
Brutal twist, ruins the movie. So stupid that's all I'll say.
I thought it was brilliant (along with the rest of the theater, judging by the laughs). Then again, I was never that familiar with the character from the comics in the first place (hardly ever shown in the Finnish versions).

Old
04-27-2013, 11:26 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Quote:
I thought it was brilliant (along with the rest of the theater, judging by the laughs). Then again, I was never that familiar with the character from the comics in the first place (hardly ever shown in the Finnish versions).
I'll leave this hidden for the sake of our North American friends who haven't seen the film yet.

Spoil:
Mandarin is supposed to be to Iron Man, similarly to what the Joker is to Batman. The reason I say that is because if you think about it, Tony Stark is the most fortunate superhero, as in he has never had that villain who pushes his buttons and let's him know that he can alter his life for the worse. There was such potential for the Mandarin's character to expand and literally make **** hit the fan for Tony...especially his near-death experience in the Avengers and his paranoia seeping into an addiction where he built so many suits to deal with a plethora of threats. Not to mention...Ben Kingsley in the trailers was nothing short of ****ing amazing. The way he enacted the dialogue, the swagger of his character, the seemingly threatening aura that he is immersed in. Ben Kingsley could have been portraying the definitive Iron Man villain, and they sort of ruined that. I also thought it was trying too hard to be like TDKR with the twist instead of making a pathway for itself. They should've kept it simple.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:35 PM
JD12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I'll leave this hidden for the sake of our North American friends who haven't seen the film yet.

Spoil:
Mandarin is supposed to be to Iron Man, similarly to what the Joker is to Batman. The reason I say that is because if you think about it, Tony Stark is the most fortunate superhero, as in he has never had that villain who pushes his buttons and let's him know that he can alter his life for the worse. There was such potential for the Mandarin's character to expand and literally make **** hit the fan for Tony...especially his near-death experience in the Avengers and his paranoia seeping into an addiction where he built so many suits to deal with a plethora of threats. Not to mention...Ben Kingsley in the trailers was nothing short of ****ing amazing. The way he enacted the dialogue, the swagger of his character, the seemingly threatening aura that he is immersed in. Ben Kingsley could have been portraying the definitive Iron Man villain, and they sort of ruined that. I also thought it was trying too hard to be like TDKR with the twist instead of making a pathway for itself. They should've kept it simple.
This. I guess I was more just disappointed by the twist, but it was a good movie. Just had hoped for more from a particular character

Old
04-28-2013, 04:28 AM
firewagonHOCKEY

Was this scheduled to be a christmas movie?
It was filled with christmas songs and references.

firewagonHOCKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:42 AM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
I take it you didn't recognize the "doctor"?
yeah, of course I did...but since Iron Man 3 is kickstarting Marvel's Phase 2, I was expecting something that would set the tone, like a hint towards the other movies like Guardians

Old
04-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
yeah, of course I did...but since Iron Man 3 is kickstarting Marvel's Phase 2, I was expecting something that would set the tone, like a hint towards the other movies like Guardians
I'm thinking they might leave it to Thor 2 and/or Cap 2 or Guardians or maybe just have a totally separate plot in Avengers 2.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:27 AM
JD12

Quote:
I'm thinking they might leave it to Thor 2 and/or Cap 2 or Guardians or maybe just have a totally separate plot in Avengers 2.
I know it wasn't much but wasn't the Thanos clip after the Avengers a Guardians tease? I could be wrong but I thought the plan was to have him as the villain in that movie.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD12 View Post
I know it wasn't much but wasn't the Thanos clip after the Avengers a Guardians tease? I could be wrong but I thought the plan was to have him as the villain in that movie.
It was more an Infinity Gauntlet tease with the way he smiled after his henchman said "to challenge them is to court...death." The Gauntlet itself of course being in Odin's vault.

They could actually introduce him properly in Guardians and show the Avengers during or after the credits.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:13 PM
JD12

Quote:
It was more an Infinity Gauntlet tease with the way he smiled after his henchman said "to challenge them is to court...death." The Gauntlet itself of course being in Odin's vault.

They could actually introduce him properly in Guardians and show the Avengers during or after the credits.
I think personally a lot of these Marvel/Disney movies have been hit or miss so far, when it's good it's really good when it isn't it isn't but I am so freaking excited for Guardians of The Galaxy, all the casting so far is very intriguing I mean Chris Pratt (Andy Dwyer) as Star-Lord, Zoe Salanda as Gamora, Micheal Rooker (Merle Dixon) as Yondu, and Lee Pace will make an excellent villain. Dave Bautista's casting is a little strange to me but I'm banking on Drax not having a ton of meaningful dialogue. To me I think the voice of Rocket Raccoon will be immensely important and if the rumors of H. Jon Benjamin are ever confirmed I think this movie will shoot up my list of anticipated movies only behind TASM 2.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Probably going to go see it Sunday at lunch time, figure it won't be as packed then.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:02 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I was all set to post my review then realized it has not been released in the states yet

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote