HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We Play Toronto or Ottawa

View Poll Results: Who would you rather play?
Toronto 67 38.95%
Ottawa 48 27.91%
Doesn't Matter 57 33.14%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-28-2013, 01:07 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post
You're right. Rihanna is performing at the Bell May 1st.
She's gonna be our 7th D. Massive distraction factor.

100% she puts the Habs jersey on for her final number. And nothing else. Bet it's a Subby Jersey also. From Subby.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:15 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Toronto. They've been much luckier this season, plus Ottawa has Karlsson back.
Our bigger/tougher forwards will be instructed to pound the **** out of Karl every chance they get. This is where Eller, Prust, Moen, Max and Bourque need to stand up. And they know it.

Moen especially. I think he is key in this round. And I think he'll stand up.

Let's see how Karl handles this. I know Subby will handle the same treatment, but not so sure Karl can.

And teams will key on Marky also. Thing is Marky has finally learned to stay out of hit trouble. 48 games. I am really pleased about this.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:38 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Our bigger/tougher forwards will be instructed to pound the **** out of Karl every chance they get. This is where Eller, Prust, Moen, Max and Bourque need to stand up. And they know it.

Moen especially. I think he is key in this round. And I think he'll stand up.

Let's see how Karl handles this. I know Subby will handle the same treatment, but not so sure Karl can.

And teams will key on Marky also. Thing is Marky has finally learned to stay out of hit trouble. 48 games. I am really pleased about this.
Karlsson is slippery. Getting physical contact on him is hard enough, never mind a heavy check.

I'd rather face ottawa, simply because if the habs happen to get into the 2nd round, they will continue to have home ice, while this is not assured as the #4 seed.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:51 AM
HatTricK09

vCash: 50
I want to play the Sens because it means we finish 1st in our division.
Other than for that reason, I don't care.
They're both good teams.
Some want the Leafs because we dominated them tonight but fact is, we're 2-3 against them this season, we've struggled against them.
That 6-0 loss is still fresh in my mind.

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:58 AM
IcemanTBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
1 hour plane ride vs 2 hour bus ride (which can be longer due to traffic around the Sens arena). Not a big difference.
Actually, I believe the Habs always take VIA rail train when they play Ottawa.. so no bus

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:05 AM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
Actually, I believe the Habs always take VIA rail train when they play Ottawa.. so no bus
Doesn't the train leave you far away from Kanata?

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:49 AM
habtastic

I think just about every team wants to play us.

No matter what the seeding, seems we are the underdogs again. As Prust said, not the size of the dog in the fight.

At this point, both Ottawa and Toronto are difficult opponents. All depends which version of each shows up and more importantly which version of us shows up. Tonight's version + a very solid Price = Habs win.

Have a feeling Bruins are gonna win. Unless Karlsson can change things dramatically, Sens have lost all 4 games to them (although bruins not been playing great lately). Argghh, why couldn't the Caps just finish it in reg (though mad props to them for coming back and winning it - they are one good fkin team).

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:38 AM
JesusBouillon

I think we have a better chance against Ottawa but it's about time we play the Leafs in the playoffs.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:43 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I think just about every team wants to play us.

No matter what the seeding, seems we are the underdogs again. As Prust said, not the size of the dog in the fight.

At this point, both Ottawa and Toronto are difficult opponents. All depends which version of each shows up and more importantly which version of us shows up. Tonight's version + a very solid Price = Habs win.

Have a feeling Bruins are gonna win. Unless Karlsson can change things dramatically, Sens have lost all 4 games to them (although bruins not been playing great lately). Argghh, why couldn't the Caps just finish it in reg (though mad props to them for coming back and winning it - they are one good fkin team).
If our team really gives the effort. People believe they play badly against us; that they have braincramp and others.

It ain't the case. People just don't realize how hard the Habs' playstyle is to achieve. It means working at every shift. Denying them the half-second of decision-making that allows them to do the right thing. We gotta keep skating and moving the puck nonstop.

the Habs took it easy in the past weeks; probably BECAUSE our playstyle is so hard to achieve. But I believe they'll be flying in the playoffs; with maybe a 1-2 game relapse if we get too big a lead in the series (3-0, for example).

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Tuggy

Toronto. Anderson > Reimer.

Last edited by Tuggy: 04-28-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:28 AM
habsfanatics

I should have picked either, but felt like playing along. I think TO is arguably the worst team in the post season. I think them constantly getting outshot will eventually be the end of them when reimer can no longer sustain his play

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:05 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Not sure about that. In term of distance yes but the team takes the bus to ottawa (~2 hrs ride) vs the plane to toronto (1 hr flight). I'd prefer the latter any time.
I think the players would prefer the former, much more convenient to ride a spacious bus that leaves exactly when you are ready and rolls right to your destination than deal with airports and ground transportation on either side. It's about convenience not time, and even time when you add it up Ottawa wins unless you wait to turn the timer on only when the plane is in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
I'm interested, do the Habs bus or train to Ottawa? And would they really return home after Game 3?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

I'd rather face Ottawa because I'll be able to respect the series a little more. While series like the pitts/philly one last season are fun for hockey fans, it must not have been for them. Too much emotion for a first round... it'll wear a team down and basically ruin any chances of advancing further

An ottawa series would most likely go to game 7 (so would a toronto series), but I feel like the Canadiens would be able to emotionally recover from it better. Plus the habs would be in a much better position for the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I can respect the ottawa fan base... the leaf fan base... not so much.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Ottawa. Less physically demanding series and , well, I guess I have a little more respect for the Leafs than others here do.

And Price needs Ottawa right now.

Last edited by Agnostic: 04-28-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:55 AM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
I think the Habs can beat the Leafs pretty easily as long as they actually want to play. They are by far the better team. Keep the score close or take the lead and see McClaren and Orr to take stupid penalties trying to goon up the game.

Ottawa can beat you many ways. They have a strong system and one of the best goaltenders in the league. That's money in the playoffs. Plus, there's the Karlsson effect which is hard to evaluate right now, but might turn what was already a good team into something special.

So the Leafs are the easiest way to the 2nd round, but I want the Habs to win the NE so whatever happens, I'll be happy.

It's playoffs time baby!

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:57 AM
The Doors

Toronto. I want to see Fraser, Gunnarson, Phaneuf and the rest of these extremely talented TO defence try and handle the puck with 20,000 playoff Bell Centre fans yelling at them and the Habs three scoring lines buzzing around.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Don't care. If you can't beat one of those teams, what are you going to do in the 2nd round?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Ottawa.

I don't want any risk of us facing Pittsburgh in the second round.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Nedved

who cares...both teams are not stanley cup contenders.

if we cannot beat the leafs or sens, we're not winning the cup.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:23 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchweed View Post
Tonight's game against the Maple Leafs may have been a moral victory but it also may have been a strategic loss.

If the Leafs were going to play the series like tonight, it would have been better to lose tonight and then face them ... but if the Habs do face the Leafs, tonight's game just gave them a wake up call to clean up their act. Toronto made a lot of slacker errors tonight and as much as it seems that the Habs played good, the Leafs played just terrible in the 2nd period. So, if the Habs play the Leafs, I'm sure they won't make the same sloppy mistakes.

On the other side, if the Habs wanted to play the Leafs, the Montreal win now means they might get to play the Senators, and the Senators aren't that easy especially since Karlsson may be back. That might just be a tougher match up than playing Toronto. It also drops a couple of places in the 2013 draft. Is the win worth it?
are you like a leafs fan mole or what?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

So what are the variables?

A Boston win and they get 2nd, loss(even in OT) and they get 4th.

An Ottawa win or OT loss they move up to 7th, NYR has the tie breaker. Ott has the tie breaker vs NYI.

Is that right?

Boston regulation win...Bos-NYI Mtl-Tor Pit-Ott Was-NYR
Boston OT/SO win...Bos-Ott Pit-NYI Mtl-Tor NYR-WAS
Ottawa win(regulation or OT/SO) Bos-Tor Pit-NYI Mtl-Ott NYR-Was

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:20 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We should make a GDT for the Boston-Ottawa game seeing how it is directly relevant to our first round match-up.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Gary320

I would rather face Leafs. In a 7 game series, I think we stand a better chance versus the Leafs.

But then again ...rather face the Sens. Let Bruins/Leafs destroy each other..

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:33 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
Doesn't the train leave you far away from Kanata?
Regardless coming from mtl they must go to the west end (kanata) and via rail stops in the east. So either way they r either in the east end (rail) or come in from east end regardless coming from mtl

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
who cares...both teams are not stanley cup contenders.

if we cannot beat the leafs or sens, we're not winning the cup.
Matchups are key.

X beat Y beat Z doesn't necessarily translate to X beating Z in the playoffs.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote