HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 01:04 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I could see us trading down now, for a couple of Columbus' late picks as a more likely option.

Couts + 1st for Yandle would be a catastrophe. He's a good player, but not THAT good.

I just wouldn't trade Couts for anything, he's going to be a great player.

I'm not worried about getting a 1D anymore. Just throw out Lilja, Manning, Lauridsen, Gustafsson and Konan and we can't lose - even to playoff-bound teams.

Mason was great when we needed him to sieve. I don't see the point of keeping Bryz now. It'll just be a circus. Go with Mason. Buy out Briere and Bryz. Sign a vet to support Mason.

We had a chance to pick up a great Dman. Stupid win tonight cost them 5 draft places. Worst two points in franchise history. Win when it means worse than nothing. Choke when it matters. Well done. What a disaster.

Now we'll get a longer term prospect instead of Nurse, Zadorov or Ristoflex (hey, everyone else on here who hasn't seen him play for 5 minutes has a nickname for him, why can't I?). New Jersey will take Zadorov for sure, so there's not a chance we'll get him.

We'll end up taking a smurf forward instead of the huge, talented Dman we needed desperately.

Great way to end the season.

On the bright side, Akeson, "Giroux's buddy" looks like a sure-fire 82 goal man!
Hmm....Schenn, Konan, Lauridsen, Lilja, Gustafsson, Manning, and Mason > Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Parent, Krajicek, Leighton?????

Old
04-28-2013, 01:45 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Hmm....Schenn, Konan, Lauridsen, Lilja, Gustafsson, Manning, and Mason > Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Parent, Krajicek, Leighton?????
Apparently.

New Homer strategy: Constantly cycle young Dmen in. The constant "must prove myself" adrenaline boost will carry us to victory.

04-28-2013, 01:46 AM
ahthorne

I'd rather finish the season strong and have some confidence and things to build on then finishing 4 or 5 spots higher. Sue me, but I'd rather have had it play out the way it did (Steve Mason in beast mode, other young players showing development) then just have the team STINK for 48 games.

I think a big factor on who we draft will come from whether the Flyers can manage to sign/bring over Nikita Zaitsev. Adding Zaitsev as a blue-chip young defender and the loss of Briere+offensive weapons over the past few seasons would steer me in the direction of getting a high-end forward if one falls/is available.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:48 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Even if we sign Zaitsev, I'd still draft a D-man (hopefully Rist/Zadorov).

Old
04-28-2013, 03:16 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Phoenix is going to win the draft lottery.
book it.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

We have a 1.5% chance of winning the lottery.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Old
04-28-2013, 03:33 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Better than 0.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:00 AM
PALE PWNR

I hope we find a way to get Jones or nurse in a flyers uni.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:51 AM
Calderone
old time hockey

I agree winning last night hurts, I truly hate when a Philly team can't tank properly. I blame last night on management, you want more of a chance to lose make sure Bryz is in net... Why play a red-hot Mason?? Anyway, I still think we'll get a good defenseman in the draft. I really want them to get Nurse, but he wasn't going to be there at #8 anyway.. I think at #11 there is a chance one of Zadorov or Risto will be there. If not a guy like Josh Morrissey wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. I could also see Homer moving up to say #9 to ensure we get one of Zadorov/Risto.

Of course none of any of that matters since we're winning the draft lottery.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:19 AM
poneill27

Im sick over last nights win.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:38 AM
PF

Whatever, I'm glad they won last night. No room for Pittsburgh/Edmonton style tanking in the Flyers organisation and I'm happy about it.

What's done is done, move on.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:55 AM
poneill27

WOW so much pride in the organeyezation that has won nothing in 40 years..... I welcome the countless posts -Yeah but all we have to do is trade X number of players and 2nd round picks to move up in the draft. Thats so much better than just losing a few meaningless games. So Proud!!!

Old
04-28-2013, 08:08 AM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We have a 1.5% chance of winning the lottery.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Old
04-28-2013, 08:17 AM
poneill27

Lloyd Christmas huh? That never gets old. The lottery cant get here fast enough.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I could see us trading down now, for a couple of Columbus' late picks as a more likely option.

Couts + 1st for Yandle would be a catastrophe. He's a good player, but not THAT good.

I just wouldn't trade Couts for anything, he's going to be a great player.

I'm not worried about getting a 1D anymore. Just throw out Lilja, Manning, Lauridsen, Gustafsson and Konan and we can't lose - even to playoff-bound teams.

Mason was great when we needed him to sieve. I don't see the point of keeping Bryz now. It'll just be a circus. Go with Mason. Buy out Briere and Bryz. Sign a vet to support Mason.

We had a chance to pick up a great Dman. Stupid win tonight cost them 5 draft places. Worst two points in franchise history. Win when it means worse than nothing. Choke when it matters. Well done. What a disaster.

Now we'll get a longer term prospect instead of Nurse, Zadorov or Ristoflex (hey, everyone else on here who hasn't seen him play for 5 minutes has a nickname for him, why can't I?). New Jersey will take Zadorov for sure, so there's not a chance we'll get him.

We'll end up taking a smurf forward instead of the huge, talented Dman we needed desperately.

Great way to end the season.

On the bright side, Akeson, "Giroux's buddy" looks like a sure-fire 82 goal man!
Spot on.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Curufinwe

I don't see Zadorov, Ristolainen and Pulock all been taken in the top 10. The Flyers only dropped 3 spots, not 5.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Jack de la Hoya

I still think that it is very possible that Ristolainen falls to us.

Quote:
1. FLA - Mackinnon
2. COL - Jones
3. TBL - Drouin
4. NSH - Barkov
5. CAR - Nichushkin
6. CGY - Monahan
7. EDM - Nurse
8. BUF - Lindholm / Fucale
9. NJD - Lindholm / Fucale
10. DAL - ?
11. PHI -
I'm not sure Fucale will go top-10, but there are two teams (BUF and NJD) who might be willing to do it. If that happens, and at least one team (DAL?) reaches for another forward (Shinkaruk?), then Ristolainen should be there for us.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:25 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I hate the Devils...why do they heff to draft ahead of us. Now they get to add another player to their roster so they can beat us easily...

Old
04-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Reduxs

A lot of you are assuming that just because we are picking later it automatically means that we're getting a worse player. Go look back at previous drafts from 10-15 years ago and look at how many of those players developed into what they were expected to. Look at teams like the Panthers who have been drafting in the top 10 for what seems like ages now. Are they closer to being a playoff team? Flyers have been very good at finding talent with later picks, and ignoring the consensus rankings provided by the draft "experts." Gagne, Richards and Giroux are great examples of this. The Flyers won 6 of their last 7, and they will carry that confidence into next season. Quit acting like Darnell Nurse is guaranteed to be the next Chris Pronger.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:47 AM
JVR21
G

So glad we went from the 7th overall to the 11th since the point we were eliminated from the playoffs. Awesome.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I still think that it is very possible that Ristolainen falls to us.

I'm not sure Fucale will go top-10, but there are two teams (BUF and NJD) who might be willing to do it. If that happens, and at least one team (DAL?) reaches for another forward (Shinkaruk?), then Ristolainen should be there for us.
I really don't see Fucale going anywhere in the top 15

If we sign Zaitsev, drafting Zadorov makes sense as he'd have a puck mover to play with and they both speak russian, so they could get some chemistry like the Nitkinin and Tyutin pairing for CBJ

Old
04-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Prongo
Beer

You never rely on losing to become a better franchise/coach/player. That's how you become a losing franchise. It has a trickle down effect in the organization. If the Flyers were to put out all their lower end players to tank for this game and others losing becomes a mentality and not an action. You want your players to fight every single time they are on the ice, because that's how bad locker rooms and losing franchises are made if they don't. Flyers have responded extremely well to all the injuries and the young players have proven they can play in the NHL. Gus almost assured himself a spot on our roster next year with the big club. Lars, Manning, and Konan all can be injury replacements as well and fill in admirably.

I understand people are mad we went fro 8th to 11th overall, but it really isn't a major set back. This is why the Flyers have their scouts continually watch prospects. They will make the best selection they feel, and it's up to that player to become the player the franchise sees him as.

Just never lose to become better. That doesn't work well generally. It creates cancers in the room an throughout the organization. If players are taking off during games this year, there is no doubt they would be taking games off in the future. You want them to show heart each and every time out on the ice, even when not contending. They did that.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
You never rely on losing to become a better franchise/coach/player. That's how you become a losing franchise. It has a trickle down effect in the organization. If the Flyers were to put out all their lower end players to tank for this game and others losing becomes a mentality and not an action. You want your players to fight every single time they are on the ice, because that's how bad locker rooms and losing franchises are made if they don't. Flyers have responded extremely well to all the injuries and the young players have proven they can play in the NHL. Gus almost assured himself a spot on our roster next year with the big club. Lars, Manning, and Konan all can be injury replacements as well and fill in admirably.

I understand people are mad we went fro 8th to 11th overall, but it really isn't a major set back. This is why the Flyers have their scouts continually watch prospects. They will make the best selection they feel, and it's up to that player to become the player the franchise sees him as.

Just never lose to become better. That doesn't work well generally. It creates cancers in the room an throughout the organization. If players are taking off during games this year, there is no doubt they would be taking games off in the future. You want them to show heart each and every time out on the ice, even when not contending. They did that.
And it's up to the Flyers to develop the player properly.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Krishna

The 11th/12th spot it still usually pretty good players :

2003 :

2004 :

2005 :

2006 :

2007 :

2008 :

2009 :

2010 :

2011 :

2012 :

Old
04-28-2013, 10:28 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
Im sick over last nights win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
WOW so much pride in the organeyezation that has won nothing in 40 years..... I welcome the countless posts -Yeah but all we have to do is trade X number of players and 2nd round picks to move up in the draft. Thats so much better than just losing a few meaningless games. So Proud!!!
Very rarely are professional athletes going to tank. They just don't do it. They shouldn't. I would have liked them to get a better draft spot too, but they were never going to tank.

Closed Thread