HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings' GAA finishes season at 5th in the NHL

Old
04-28-2013, 08:33 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

vCash: 500
Red Wings' GAA finishes season at 5th in the NHL

Tied with St.Louis for 5th with 115 goals against in 48 games.

Only Chicago, Ottawa, Boston, New York have better GAA

I got to admit I didn't think detroit would be in the top5 defensively with the defensemen they started the season with

I guess the two-way forwards and babcocks recent implemented defense-first system got some results..eh

mindfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:18 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

A lot of it has to do with Jimmy too.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Frk It
#snipequist

I give credit to Babcock for his coaching to get the most out of what he has.

I give credit to Howard for having a fantastic year, if you take the season as a whole.

I give credit to guys like Dekeyser and Kindl who had very good years. Especially Dekeyser who came straight from college and looked steady as a rock.

and I give credit to Ericsson for babysitting Kronwall all year lol. Kidding aside, I think Kronwall played much better in his own zone the second half of the year, don't care if his offensive production dipped.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:20 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Yeah I'd say. If you look at these other teams they have Anderson, Lundqvist, Rask who've posted brilliant numbers, and Chicago just hasn't spent much time defensively this season. A good goalie is key especially when you're not trapping.

But I give a lot of credit to our D's for keeping it simple, trying to master the easy things rather than playing a game they're not capable of playing. With time we'll hopefully be able to add some more offensive flair while keeping the good things defensively. Of course we've essentially been a one line team for parts of the season aswell, forcing us to focus on the defensive aspects to succeed.

Especially Kindl and Ericsson made massive strides. DeKeyser showed what he can do with short notice. Smith's potential is still looming. Kronwall brought the offense, but also found his defensive game down the stretch. Now we need another gamebreaker.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:45 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
Wouldn't have thought of that with this D.

But I also expected the Wings to score more.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

If only we could've scored more goals....

Vladdy84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Like I said, Jimmy is your MVP by a mile. There were games where we didn't show up and he bailed us out. If we have any shot at beating the Ducks it's because of him.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Yemack

Missing all of the season except last night's game, one thing I immediately noticed from last season is lack of our overall talent in defence. I knew we were going to take a hit after Lidstrom but the absence was very glaring.

However, I thought Wings played very disciplined. Obviously Jimmy must be majority of the reason why our GAA is low but I think coaching and dedication of our forward coming back to help must have helped alot. Our D were rarely overloaded even when Dallas pretty much played the whole game with activated defence.

Smith Kindle looked good, improved, seasoned. Dekeyser seemed like a real gem. could be rafalski caliber player with long reach. Kronner was more or less same. Ericsson looked like a rock. Quincey didnt look that great as always. I dont even know why hes in PP.

Yemack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
Missing all of the season except last night's game, one thing I immediately noticed from last season is lack of our overall talent in defence. I knew we were going to take a hit after Lidstrom but the absence was very glaring.

However, I thought Wings played very disciplined. Obviously Jimmy must be majority of the reason why our GAA is low but I think coaching and dedication of our forward coming back to help must have helped alot. Our D were rarely overloaded even when Dallas pretty much played the whole game with activated defence.

Smith Kindle looked good, improved, seasoned. Dekeyser seemed like a real gem. could be rafalski caliber player with long reach. Kronner was more or less same. Ericsson looked like a rock. Quincey didnt look that great as always. I dont even know why hes in PP.
Ericsson was our best dman by far. DeKeyser has been very good and could surpass Kronwall petty quickly which would be ideal. #55 is best suited as your third defenseman.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:59 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

^I actually thought Quincey played one of his best games all year yesterday. Really his only standard Quincey plays was skating right into getting rocked at the end of the second. Plus him and Smith losing gap control for a split second and it allowing the lane, although Smith dove and broke up the half breakaway. But his stick was very active yesterday.

They play some decent D these days and yes Howard has a lot to do with it. The strategy is part of where the offense has gone though for much of the season. I don't care so long as they win, but bunker hockey generally gets in you in far bigger trouble once the losing starts because it isn't much fun to watch.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
^I actually thought Quincey played one of his best games all year yesterday. Really his only standard Quincey plays was skating right into getting rocked at the end of the second. Plus him and Smith losing gap control for a split second and it allowing the lane, although Smith dove and broke up the half breakaway. But his stick was very active yesterday.

They play some decent D these days and yes Howard has a lot to do with it. The strategy is part of where the offense has gone though for much of the season. I don't care so long as they win, but bunker hockey generally gets in you in far bigger trouble once the losing starts because it isn't much fun to watch.
Well if we could have signed/traded for Suter, Parise and/or Bouwmeester we could have been a better offensive team. Our top 6 was pretty mediocre until Mule started to turn it on over the past two or so weeks. Prior to that we had 2 legit high end top 6 forwards and maybe 1 good offensive d-man in Kronwall. Tough to play much puck possession with the roster we were icing, and even with that being the case we were only 3.3 fewer shots per game behind Ottawa who was first overall. As it was we were 10th in shots per game. With a little more talent we would have been even better.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post

my beef with Q is that he is a finished product. I think his potential for growth is basically nil at this point. Not only he is an older player, I barely saw any improvement yesterday from last season. Well he was bit more in sync with the team but given the fact that he got to play a whole season now, it is expected.

yeah our other Dmen werent lidstrom either but the fact that we gave up our 1st rd pick for Quincey is another reason why I dont have much love for him. Anytime he was off position or losing assignment after light rotation from dallas forwards, it makes me wonder 'ok he is pretty much who he is at this point. and was this guy really worth 1st rd pick?'

Maybe I was bit harsh. Afterall we allowed 0 goal yesterday. Maybe he just allowed chances that he knew Howard can stop it. Though it didnt look like that yesterday. It looked like same Quincey who gets mesmerized by puck and dont have much speed.

Yemack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Townsend Beasley
Coop, how's Annie?

Im cautiously optimistic about our D in the future. Imagine popping one or two of Oullet, Sproul, Marchenko, Jensen, Backman in for a guy like quincey.

Theyre getting better all the time

Townsend Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:48 PM
obey86

But I thought Howard was average at best, the defensive depth chart was bottom 5 in the league, and Babcock was a moron who doesn't know how to coach anymore? It's a miracle we were able to finish top 5 despite all of that. Must have been luck.

obey86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:56 PM
VM1138

The defense has been very impressive. Terrible the first part of the season, gave up a lot of odd man rushes, but they really locked that down the second half.

Over the last few weeks DeKeyser and Kindl have really shone. Just imagine if our offense actually worked until the last week, we'd be number one in the league.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend Beasley View Post
Im cautiously optimistic about our D in the future. Imagine popping one or two of Oullet, Sproul, Marchenko, Jensen, Backman in for a guy like quincey.

Theyre getting better all the time
Will Holland's "do nothing" style make him look brilliant with one of the finest young d-corps in the NHL? Possibly, eh.

This assumes guys like Kindl, Smith, and DD keep improving to some degree.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

i think too many fans here have just watched hockey as oppossed to actually playing it at any real level.

our defence was crap to start the season because they were so young and raw and inexperienced.

that requires constant teaching and correcting which is why babcock is a great coach

it takes time

almost every young dman is atrocious the first year or two

Zetterberg4Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
i think too many fans here have just watched hockey as oppossed to actually playing it at any real level.
Meh, overrated. Goalies are the only ones who actually know what's going on anyway.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Will Holland's "do nothing" style make him look brilliant with one of the finest young d-corps in the NHL? Possibly, eh.

The "do nothing" is more a problem because we just have too many players and too much talent incoming. We could have made room and gotten some picks or something in return. Two birds with one stone. Some of these guys aren't even playing (White? Sammy? Cola?) But instead we hold on to them for I don't know what.

Also, I think Jimmy gets at least 51% of the credit for the success of the defensive side of this team. His numbers are approaching "gaudy" status in the past couple months. And the first half of the season, frankly, he was playing in front of a pretty raw defense. We still had Lashoff in, no DD, Kindl/Smith/Quincey at their lowest, Kronwall doing his best 2010 Ericsson impression. It was bad to watch. He gets a little help, he puts up fantastic numbers.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post

The Wings have some good youth in the system with more coming.

Crymson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:46 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

We changed styles about 18 games into the year or so.

We sacrificed offense for defense.

Simple as that.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:49 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by obey86 View Post
But I thought Howard was average at best, the defensive depth chart was bottom 5 in the league, and Babcock was a moron who doesn't know how to coach anymore? It's a miracle we were able to finish top 5 despite all of that. Must have been luck.
Pompous sarcastic gloating for a team that needed a win on the final day of the season to get in the playoffs....

Especially when a lot of people were saying 6th to 10th from Day 1.

Amazing stuff, Obie

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:02 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Quoted for definite truth.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:43 PM
obey86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Pompous sarcastic gloating for a team that needed a win on the final day of the season to get in the playoffs....

Especially when a lot of people were saying 6th to 10th from Day 1.

Amazing stuff, Obie
Just speaking about the defensive performance, nothing more and nothing less. You don't think it's crazy that we finished top 5 in GAA with an average goalie, bad coaching, and bottom tier defensive corps?

If any old team could do that by just "sacrificing offense for defense" like you say, they would do it.

obey86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
The "do nothing" is more a problem because we just have too many players and too much talent incoming. [...]

Also, I think Jimmy gets at least 51% of the credit for the success of the defensive side of this team. [...] He gets a little help, he puts up fantastic numbers.
Woe is us. Too much talent in the system and a fantastic goalie. Whatever shall we do. Holland, you've done it again, you dog.