HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

IIHF U18 WC Bronze Medal game • RUS 1 vs. FIN 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2013, 10:12 AM
  #26
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
All in all this was a fair result. Despite generating a few good chances in the 3rd, Russia showed that it was no better than the 4th or 5th best team in the tournament. They had 4 or 5 good players, but they mostly played by themselves. Its up to the coach to find a way to generate a coordinated attack and play team defense, and Kravchuk came up miserably short. Tretyak looked visibly angry at the performance. Congratulations to Finland and especially their coaching staff, who did a fantastic job throughout the tournament.

Yakushev72 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 10:15 AM
  #27
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Russia without medal in both Ivan Hlinka and U18's. Wasnt this -95 class one of the strongest in a while?
A few good individuals, but no real depth or quality. This group looked very weak on defense, and if you can't play defense, you're going to lose, no matter how good your forwards are.

Yakushev72 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 10:16 AM
  #28
habsrule4eva3089
Registered User
 
habsrule4eva3089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,471
vCash: 500
Kapanen looks like a gem, shades of Selanne when he's flying down the wing! First leading his team to Youth Olympic Gold, now leading them to Bronze here, kid's building a pedigree. Wonder how high he's ranked for next year's draft.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 10:18 AM
  #29
LoveHateLeafs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Anyone know where I can get highlights? I missed the first two goals.

LoveHateLeafs is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 10:19 AM
  #30
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Russia without medal in both Ivan Hlinka and U18's. Wasnt this -95 class one of the strongest in a while?
The difference between winning a medal and not is often quite arbitrary in these these tournaments with the temperaments of kids, surrender a late goal in a 1/2 final game + perhaps an inexperienced coach that is unable to prepare the kids emotionally for a bronze medal game...and within a flash you go from this close to contending for a gold medal to not winning anything.... **** happens.

Congrats to the Finns though, they played well.. very deserving of a medal.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 10:19 AM
  #31
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,865
vCash: 500
Bronze!

Jussi is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 10:21 AM
  #32
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,711
vCash: 500
Congrats to our boys! I can't help but wonder what this team could've been with Barkov and Saarela, but this was still a great performance. Lehkonen, Kapanen and Saros of course did great.

Gaps is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 11:06 AM
  #33
glassbangers
#FireEakins
 
glassbangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UVI
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Kapanen looks like a gem, shades of Selanne when he's flying down the wing! First leading his team to Youth Olympic Gold, now leading them to Bronze here, kid's building a pedigree. Wonder how high he's ranked for next year's draft.
It's pretty early to say but some NHL scouts has him on top-10. Next season is going to be a big direction provider for him. Can't wait to see how he handles a big role in SM-liiga next season.

glassbangers is online now  
Old
04-28-2013, 11:09 AM
  #34
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 8,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
All in all this was a fair result. Despite generating a few good chances in the 3rd, Russia showed that it was no better than the 4th or 5th best team in the tournament. They had 4 or 5 good players, but they mostly played by themselves. Its up to the coach to find a way to generate a coordinated attack and play team defense, and Kravchuk came up miserably short.
I think you're being too harsh, often happens out of anger.
It's not Kravchuk's fault if Zadorov and i think someone else i'm missing now, were not available. Glukhov was also missing the last 2 decisive games.
Finland G also outplayed Russian G, that's the difference. And actually Russia tied the game if not for that quick whistle.

I don't think Russia played bad and even less so against USA in the semis.
If this Russian team was bad, one has to wonder what terms should be used to describe this year Swedish team's play.


Congrats to Finland for a hard fought and earned bronze medal.
I have to wonder what are the real measures for Ilvonen: he is listed only a few cms shorter than others on team Finland, but he looked like a child out there, way smaller than anyone else.


Last edited by helicecopter: 04-28-2013 at 11:19 AM.
helicecopter is online now  
Old
04-28-2013, 11:18 AM
  #35
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
We may as well get cracking and pick our U20 teams... no time to waste.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:43 AM
  #36
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
I think you're being too harsh, often happens out of anger.
It's not Kravchuk's fault if Zadorov and i think someone else i'm missing now, were not available. Glukhov was also missing the last 2 decisive games.
Finland G also outplayed Russian G, that's the difference. And actually Russia tied the game if not for that quick whistle.

I don't think Russia played bad and even less so against USA in the semis.
If this Russian team was bad, one has to wonder what terms should be used to describe this year Swedish team's play.


Congrats to Finland for a hard fought and earned bronze medal.
I have to wonder what are the real measures for Ilvonen: he is listed only a few cms shorter than others on team Finland, but he looked like a child out there, way smaller than anyone else.
I can always be guilty of misinterpreting a result, but it looked to me as if the addition of 1 or 2 players wouldn't have made much difference. Other teams were even more adversely affected by missing players in the CHL playoffs.

In fairness, Russian youth teams, especially the ones below U20, have rarely been strong contenders for championships. I think this has to do with the absence of competitive hockey experiences for kids until they reach age 16 or 17. Many other countries have highly organized competitive structures for young kids, so that by the time they reach U18, they have nearly 10 years of competitive experience. The creation of the MHL and lower level leagues in Russia should begin to remedy that in the not too distant future. Russian kids usually start to catch up by U20, and by the time they reach senior level they are as good as anybody.

Yakushev72 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:51 AM
  #37
nonoob12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
Anyone know where I can get highlights? I missed the first two goals.
here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHlyojLDLlE/

nonoob12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.