HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Flyers2point0

vCash: 500
Well Z could still fall to us because there's no way Monahan drops out of the top 10 but he also likely wont go top 5. We didn't drop that far, at worst we can get Pulock for sure but Z is pretty underrated so there's a chance. I wouldn't mind trading up a few spots for him though. We're at 11, if it were 13 or later it would be an issue but there's a good chance someone falls out of the top 10 that shouldn't have and right to us.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Prongo
Beer

Cam Fowler was supposed to be a top 10 pick a couple of years ago as well. Players fall all the time, we just have to be patient and see what happens.

Last edited by Prongo: 04-28-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 09:40 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'm okay with Zadorov
Of course, you would be Krishna.

I wouldn't mind Zadorov either, but I would prefer Risto over him, mainly because he is a right-handed shot. Hopefully, the Flyers haven't placed themselves out of where Risto will go.

Nurse is a pipe dream now, just like Jones is.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Krishna

Booking it now :

Zadorov is a top 11 pick
Pulock is about 16-17
Ristolainen is in the 20-30 range

Old
04-28-2013, 09:42 AM
McNasty

I would like Shinkaruk but I think somebody will reach for him

Old
04-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Matta perhaps should have been taken by the Flyers-- but was taken by the Penguins. Zad is Matta's pairing. Sets up a rivalry to pit pairmates against each other in the future.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Akanon

Now when we know that our pick will most likely be #11, who are your top 3 defenders and forwards you would want them to draft? Some insights or NHL comparisons of them would be much appreciated, too.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Matta perhaps should have been taken by the Flyers-- but was taken by the Penguins. Zad is Matta's pairing. Sets up a rivalry to pit pairmates against each other in the future.
I disagree on the first part

He's taken a step back in a lot of people's eyes since the draft and IIRC, he fell a big from where he was originally projected to go

Old
04-28-2013, 09:45 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Apparently.

New Homer strategy: Constantly cycle young Dmen in. The constant "must prove myself" adrenaline boost will carry us to victory.
Beef, don't give Holmgren any new ideas now.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:50 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
WOW so much pride in the organeyezation that has won nothing in 40 years..... I welcome the countless posts -Yeah but all we have to do is trade X number of players and 2nd round picks to move up in the draft. Thats so much better than just losing a few meaningless games. So Proud!!!
or you could just draft at 11th overall and still get a good player...either or i suppose

people acting like we can't possibly get a great player with the 11th overall in this thread (who in other years would've been a top 8 pick almost guaranteed), it's laughable. we all know this team underperformed and in a full length season i still think they would've made the playoffs even with the bad starts, crappy goaltending, suspect defense, inconsistent offense and injuries. in which case we'd be picking much lower.

a very wise man once said "that's a hockey, you know, it's only game...why you heff to be mad?"

Old
04-28-2013, 09:53 AM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Very rarely are professional athletes going to tank. They just don't do it. They shouldn't. I would have liked them to get a better draft spot too, but they were never going to tank.
I know bro. I'm just so angry from the lock out to...well, last night everything has gone wrong. Im inconsolable right now and venting hard core! Just this I guess. Or or

Old
04-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Now when we know that our pick will most likely be #11, who are your top 3 defenders and forwards you would want them to draft? Some insights or NHL comparisons of them would be much appreciated, too.
At that spot?

Top 3 D are probably :
Zadorov (Coburn comparable now. Offense still developing)
Pulock (People on here seem to think he's comparable to Karlssons' first 2 years)
Morrissey/Ristolainen (these two are glorified Matt Carle comparables)

Top 3 F :
Domi (Seen anything from Marchand to St Louis on here)
Wennberg (Can't remember)
Mantha/Zykov (Mantha has been compared to a more physical Jeff Carter. Can't remember any about Zykov)

Old
04-28-2013, 09:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

We're taking a forward with the 1st round pick and a defenseman with the 2nd.

Just because.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:05 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think there's a very good shot that Ristolainen can still be had. Every year, some team reaches in the first round for a player. Look no further than last year when Pittsburgh selected Derek Pouliot 8th overall. There was NO way that Pouliot was the 8th best player on the board. I think it'll be the same this year. Someone is going to reach and best bets for the players will be Ian McCoshen and Keaton Thompson.

As for Shinkaruk, maybe it's just me, but I want no part of Shinkaruk at all. I'd rather they go after Adam Erne or Max Domi.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Krishna, don't know how you have Risto as a maybe. Everywhere except Button's list Risto is considered a top 10 player. Also he is FARRRR from a Matt Carle. Like honestly, maybe close to an opposite. He is a two-way defender who can move the puck extremely well. He also can lay out some monster hits. Carle didnt play defense and Carle didnt lay out big hits.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:16 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Per Meltzer..

Maybe so but I will rage if the 8th spot becomes number 1.......

Quote:
The difference in upside between the players likely to be on the board eighth and 11th/12th is so miniscule that it's not worth wasting time by lamenting the Flyers' "worse" pick by virtue of beating Ottawa last night. Also, there are always some surprises as to which top-rated players may end up unexpectedly dropping and which off-the-board selections might shake up those pre-draft projections.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...5#.UX077o6F0yE

Old
04-28-2013, 10:26 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Per Meltzer..

Maybe so but I will rage if the 8th spot becomes number 1.......
The difference is miniscule, but the possibility of us not getting a defenseman because the one we wanted came off the board is certainly not miniscule.

We'll pick a good player either way, but I'd much rather feel like we have a shot at Nurse...which we really didn't.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Ristolainen (these Matt Carle comparables)
Risto is very unlike Carle.

Carle:
Plays small
Good puck mover (minus pretty magnified turnovers)
Weak shot
Not extremely physical
Not physically intimidating

Risto:
Plays big
Good puck mover
Strong shot
Physical, nasty
Intimidating

Old
04-28-2013, 10:43 AM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think there's a very good shot that Ristolainen can still be had. Every year, some team reaches in the first round for a player. Look no further than last year when Pittsburgh selected Derek Pouliot 8th overall. There was NO way that Pouliot was the 8th best player on the board. I think it'll be the same this year. Someone is going to reach and best bets for the players will be Ian McCoshen and Keaton Thompson.

As for Shinkaruk, maybe it's just me, but I want no part of Shinkaruk at all. I'd rather they go after Adam Erne or Max Domi.
If you don't mind me asking, why are you so uninterested in Shinkaruk?

Old
BillDineen

D are harder to predict at 18 years old and the Flyers have a tremendous record at drafting forwards. I trust if they take a forward he is the BPA.

Old
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
I don't do comparisons, nor are these guys I want them to draft necessarily, but the Flyers tend to take players that fit the organizational philosophy. The guys below I can see them targeting.

Forwards (assuming someone reaches):
Domi - all heart + skill + no quit
Barkov - Next three are all good forwards
Monahan
Lindholm

Defense:

Risto - Big-- imagine Rico with more snarl. I hate doing comparisons.
Zadorov - between Coburn and Chara
Hagg - two way defenseman plays both sides pretty well

Old
04-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The difference is miniscule, but the possibility of us not getting a defenseman because the one we wanted came off the board is certainly not miniscule.

We'll pick a good player either way, but I'd much rather feel like we have a shot at Nurse...which we really didn't.
There is a very good chance that at least one among Nurse, RR or Pulock will there when the Flyers pick. But the team will take the BAP anyway, so if a forward they like better falls to them, they will go in that direction. The is not about to change it's drafting philosophy.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:18 AM
YuioIklo

Now it's time to think about the draft guys. NOW. Still can't believe some people are still whining that this team has played well at the end of the year. It makes me very positive for the future, personnally. I'd rather drop a couple of spots and seeing that my team has heart and will fight whatever happens than getting a superstar at the draft. Also, I really liked what I saw from Mason. You can't want your players to suck to get a name "who projects higher".

Old
04-28-2013, 11:20 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
There is a very good chance that at least one among Nurse, RR or Pulock will there when the Flyers pick. But the team will take the BAP anyway, so if a forward they like better falls to them, they will go in that direction. The is not about to change it's drafting philosophy.
Oh, I completely agree. I think Nurse/Ristolainen is a strong if not awesome pick at 11 (Pulock possibly being a bit of a reach), but there is no doubt in my mind that the organization could jump ship on a defenseman if a forward they love falls to them.

I'm not saying it was the wrong move, but Couturier's draft year is a perfect example of that.

I've been saying for weeks now that the Flyers could very easily pick forward, and even if they do, we should not immediately rage like the world is coming to an end.

I could see the board also breaking down in a way where none of Jones, Nurse, or Ristolainen are on the board at 11. At that point, I'd almost rather the Flyers take a forward anyway. There's a lot of depth among forwards in the draft class, and I'm not sold on Pulock, Zadorov, or Hagg.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:29 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Regardless of who is up on the board, as meltzer and many say, BAP it will be.

I hope it's a D.

I'm sure someone has done a list of the last 10 years and the 11th overall pick. I'm not too worried. We have a good history of drafting well.

Closed Thread