HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How Big of a Threat is Detroit?

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
How Big of a Threat is Detroit?

The biggest problem everybody was saying they have was defense. They finished 5th overall in goals against. In the last 11 games they've allowed 14 goals. Jimmy Howard has a .942 SV% in the month of April.

If their offense can continue what they did this week, how big of a threat can they be? Getting back Darren Helm and potentially bringing up Tomas Tatar could be huge for them as well.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:03 AM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Any team with good goaltending is dangerous in the playoffs

Wings have good goaltending

Old
04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
I think they'll take Anaheim out but not much else.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:11 AM
MilanKraft

Good chance they beat Anaheim unfortunately.

Should play the Hawks tough.

6 wins in the playoffs I see.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:15 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Helm isn't going to be healthy for the playoffs and Tatar is leading Grand Rapids right now.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
The biggest problem everybody was saying they have was defense. They finished 5th overall in goals against. In the last 11 games they've allowed 14 goals. Jimmy Howard has a .942 SV% in the month of April.

If their offense can continue what they did this week, how big of a threat can they be? Getting back Darren Helm and potentially bringing up Tomas Tatar could be huge for them as well.
I think they'll be a good match for Anaheim. I predict Detroit winning in 7 games.

I think it's really the last year for Detroit to make any noise in the playoffs. They aren't as dominant as they were in the last couple of years and their core is getting older and older. Not to mention they'll have to play in the tougher conference next year.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Yotes90

They are a cup contending team. Started doing great at the right time. I have high hopes for them.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Pavels Dog
#Fireholland

Realistically they have no chance in a 7-game series against Chicago/Pittsburgh, but other than that I think they could beat anyone. Which leaves them in the same threat level as almost all teams in the playoffs except maybe Minnesota and the Isles.

They're finally finding chemistry offensively, with 4 lines all looking good. Defense has been very solid since Dekeyser came in, and Howard is playing beastly. It's been fun to watch the evolution of Detroit this season, they've come a long way. Still I hope Red Wings fans lower their expectations, imo every single win in the playoffs is a bonus for us, this is a rebuilding season and playoffs was our main goal, not a cup.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
I think it's really the last year for Detroit to make any noise in the playoffs. They aren't as dominant as they were in the last couple of years and their core is getting older and older. Not to mention they'll have to play in the tougher conference next year.
I don't even know where to start here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes90 View Post
They are a cup contending team. Started doing great at the right time. I have high hopes for them.
Wouldn't go that far.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:41 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
I think they'll be a good match for Anaheim. I predict Detroit winning in 7 games.

My feelings at first.. then I read it again and was like..

Old
04-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Sportserie

As a Wild fan I would love to play Detroit in a series. Detroit just knows how to get it done and have the experience and wins to back up making some noise in the playoffs. I don't think they get past the Ducks this season, though.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
The Red Line

Quote:

Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Holmstrom retire.... and the core is getting older?

I assume you are referring to Datsyuk (top ten in scoring this season) and Zetterberg (over PPG this season) as the ones getting "older and older".... Do you know who else is getting older? Every single player in the NHL... Its known as the process of aging. Revolutionary new concept, I know... if only the Hakan would scout for players who got younger with time.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Randomtask68

As long as they have Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they have a chance. Those two played really well despite concerns over aging and losing Lidstrom, I fully expect them to either beat Anaheim or at least take that series to seven.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:16 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:

So much fail in this post. Tougher conference, but MUCH easier division. I actually expect them to be slightly better than this year last year. Their defense is younger than a daycare and already 5th best in the league. Contrary to popular belief, this team is probably trending upward again, not downward. If Datsyuk goes back to Russia in a year though that may be a different story.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

They are a pretty good team. I don't think they could take the likes of Chicago or Anaheim though.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Hasa92

MOD
As for hockey thought they go home after first round but only because they are going to face the new Stanley Cup champions the Anaheim Ducks.

Last edited by Fugu: 04-28-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: ot
Old
04-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Not much of one.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Zone Starts

I'd say they're a pretty big threat. If Anaheim loses four games, their entire season is over

c'mon, it's the playoffs. Nobody's entitled to breeze through.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:24 AM
rschile

they have a good chance against anaheim their goaltending and defence can be shaky at times and theyre not going into the playoffs to hot. but no chance against chicago obviously

Old
04-28-2013, 11:44 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Detroit is like the you-know-who's of the West. Somehow they make noise, and in the playoffs history and stats are always on their side.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
AD1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
So much fail in this post. Tougher conference, but MUCH easier division. I actually expect them to be slightly better than this year last year. Their defense is younger than a daycare and already 5th best in the league. Contrary to popular belief, this team is probably trending upward again, not downward. If Datsyuk goes back to Russia in a year though that may be a different story.
I think Jimmy played a big part in the 5th lowest GAA, because our defense on paper definitely does not belong in the top five. If we make some noise in the playoffs, it's going to be because of Howard.

I'm feeling good about the future though. Kindl's been improving and Dekeyser looks good. Sproul and Oullet both could turn into solid players.

We had better hope Jarnkrok and Jurco are up to the task of offsetting the inevitable decline in production from Dats and Z.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Reality Check

I'm interested to see if they're just happy to make the playoffs. Especially after all they've gone through this season and the inconsistencies.

Going out in a whimper like last season would be disappointing, regardless of their seeding. But I do feel they match up much better with Anaheim than Chicago.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

They are 1 of 2 teams I did not want to play in the first round.... Of course the hockey gods love a Ducks-Wings playoff matchup.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:03 PM
nazembiggs*

Not a threat at all, there just in to keep their streak alive.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:06 PM
TOML

If they can get Helm back, they could go far. Anaheim is a good opponent for them. They do well vs. the Ducks.

Closed Thread