HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Colborne Fashioned after Jordan Staal

Old
04-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Joe Colborne Fashioned after Jordan Staal

A good article of Joe Colborne modelling his style to Jordan Staal.

Staal tactics for Maple Leafs' Colborne

Quote:
He has played in just 16 NHL games and has a long way to go to get there, but it’s an admirable goal to aim for.

Joe Colborne, the lanky 23-year-old from Calgary, said he would like to fashion his game after fellow centre Jordan Staal, who had six very productive years with the Pittsburgh Penguins as a defensive forward and now plays alongside his brother Eric with the Carolina Hurricanes.

“He’s good on face-offs … He’s a guy I look at. Another guy is Vinny (Lecavalier), who we played against the other night (a 5-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday). You just pick up little things from those guys. But if I could play a role like Jordan Staal was earlier in his career, I’d be a good help to this team.”

Colborne won’t be getting any arguments from the Leafs on that count.

TRIO FINDING COMFORT

Clarke MacArthur had been playing alongside Marlies graduates Joe Colborne and Matt Frattin, and the left-winger says he likes what trio has accomplished so far.

“We’ve been able to create a few chances and have been pretty good defensively so far. Those are two things we want to continue to work on,” MacArthur said after the Leafs morning skate on Saturday.

“We keep getting better every game.”

While the line was broken up last night due to Frattin being scratched, the trio played well during this past week’s trip to Florida, with MacArthur ending a 15-game scoring drought against the Panthers on Thursday and Frattin getting a little more physical, tying the team lead that night with six hits.

Colborne, who has only appeared in four games since being called up on April 6, logged his most ice time of the season, coming in at 13:26 against the Panthers and looking comfortable with his new linemates in both Florida games.

“He can move the puck well, he’s got good vision,” MacArthur said of the 6-foot-5, 215-pound centre. “He’s a guy that down low when he turns his back on the defender, he’s a tough guy to get the puck away from.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/27...leafs-colborne

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I really like his game.

He's gotten better at skating, faceoffs, and can cycle the puck. If he can be that 50 point center and use his size effectively, we've got a great player.

He definitely deserves to be in Game 1 of the playoffs.

I know 5 games is a very short stint but he's gotten more physical just like Franson and Kulemin have.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I really like his game.

He's gotten better at skating, faceoffs, and can cycle the puck. If he can be that 50 point center and use his size effectively, we've got a great player.

He definitely deserves to be in Game 1 of the playoffs.
If he can be our Jordan Staal, he will be a great asset to our organization, the kid works hard, has great character and you can see some skills. I would bet on him being an impact player sooner rather than later.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
onebighockeyfan

Jordan Stall has 273 more points in the NHL and he's 1 year older than Colborne...Toronto Sun, really?

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
If he can be our Jordan Staal, he will be a great asset to our organization, the kid works hard, has great character and you can see some skills. I would bet on him being an impact soon.
If Carlyle gives him a chance in the playoffs, he'll provide an impact as early as the playoffs.

That 3rd line is going to be a very crucial make or break line for the Leafs.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:49 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

A 3rd line for next yr of Frattin Colborne Komarov would be a good idea.

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
Jordan Stall has 273 more points in the NHL and he's 1 year older than Colborne...Toronto Sun, really?
A) It's Staal.
B) He said he would like to model his game after Jordan Staal.
C) Go away Scab fan.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
I like his game from what I've seen. He should be in the game #1 lineup. Hopefully next year he works his way up the lineup the same way Kadri has.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:53 AM
shaner89

He's been awesome. Like his game a lot. Much improved.

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Little faith, not another Kadri thread of doubters. But you are entitled to your opinion, we have many here that ate crow for doubting Kadri too.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:58 AM
pcruz

Colborne is a useful player, but a Staal he is not.
The guy still has a heck of a lot to improve on if he is to be an everyday NHL player.

I actually find it irresponsible to say that Colborne is fashioned after Staal solely because it makes one believe that is what is expected out of the guy once he is done "topping out".

Would be much better to have a headline saying that Colborne is being fashioned after "just about every 3rd line centre in the league", but that wouldn't sell as well has piggybacking the article on the Staal surname.

pcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:01 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Lots of players fashion their games after other players, but that doesn't mean they are ever going to be as good.

I don't think we should read too much into this other than style of play.

Staal broke in to the league 1 month after he turned 18.

I kind of see Steckel when I watch Colborne, but maybe Steckel fashions his game after the younger Staal? As a 24 year old Steckel scored 30 goals and 61 points in 71 AHL games. He has never scored over 8 in the NHL.

Staal > Colborne > Steckel ?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:01 AM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If Carlyle gives him a chance in the playoffs, he'll provide an impact as early as the playoffs.

That 3rd line is going to be a very crucial make or break line for the Leafs.
Would be some coming out party if he provided that impact vs the Bruins in the first round.

HockeyNightInBelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Pi

A lot of people aren't reading the article and just looking at the headline.

Colborne never said he's going to put up 60 points from the 3rd line. He wants to MODEL his game after those big guys.

Colborne is a big body that is determined to crack the Leafs line up on a permanent basis. Is he going to look up to Steckel or guys like Lecavalier and Staal and try to add that into his game?

Jordan Staal's role on the Pens was never to be a point producing guy. All he was asked to do was be solid on the ice for 20 mins while producing 45-50 points.

The reason he asked to be traded was because he was behind Crosby/Malkin.

Colborne wants to model his game to be a solid player for the Leafs that wins faceoffs, plays on the PK, and contributes offensively-----> The role Staal had on the Pens.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Good to hear that he knows that top 6 is looking unlikely at this point. Players develop best when they know what they are developing too.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:09 AM
PuckMagi

i haven't watched him other than the games that he's played for the leafs this year... but i think he's looking good. i like his size and he skates pretty fast for a big guy too.

he's definitely playing better than grabo.

he could be a good 4th liner in the playoffs (and hopefully move up to the second or third line next year or the year after).

when he centred orr and mclaren... that line looked HUGE! I wouldn't mind having Colbrone and McLaren being permanent 4th liners during the playoffs. it can be tough playing against big guys like that

PuckMagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:10 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Good thing u look up a quick stat search instead of watching them or even really reading the article.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Jordan Staal would be a good role model for Joey C to emulate in style of play and approach to the game.

Brandon Sutter the player traded for J. Staal would be another one that would get him playing time in the NHL.

04-28-2013, 12:07 PM
TmlHockeyFan

He should join Kadri and train with Gary Roberts over the summer.

Love to see Kadri (I expect his faceoffs to be much better next season)-Colborne-Bozak-McClement. As our centres next season. Bozak is in the line only if he resigns cheap. If not, we get a UFA signed centre.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:08 PM
pcruz

While I agree with Mess and ULF_55 in the fact that the article isn't saying that Colborne is going to be, projected to be, or even trying to be like Staal or Lecavalier, I still find the fact that the article mentions the fashioning of Colborne's game after Staal to be irresponsible journalism.

The aspects of the game that Colborne is said to try and emulate based off of Vinny and Jordan, are the same aspects that other players do just as well if not better. Steckel is a perfect example of what we can say Colborne should be fashioning his game after.

Steckel is a big centre, with some offensive up side, great on the drops, and has really made a name for himself as a #3 or #4 centre in the NHL.

It's difficult to say that player X is fashioning his game around player Y when player Y is viewed in many ways that player X will never be viewed.

The issue is that it's sexy to use a name like Staal when writing a column to sell a paper, but it's not sexy to use a name like Steckel. Even if the Steckel analogy is much more accurate - accuracy doesn't sell as well.

That's irresponsible journalism.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:10 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post
While I agree with Mess and ULF_55 in the fact that the article isn't saying that Colborne is going to be, projected to be, or even trying to be like Staal or Lecavalier, I still find the fact that the article mentions the fashioning of Colborne's game after Staal to be irresponsible journalism.

The aspects of the game that Colborne is said to try and emulate based off of Vinny and Jordan, are the same aspects that other players do just as well if not better. Steckel is a perfect example of what we can say Colborne should be fashioning his game after.

Steckel is a big centre, with some offensive up side, great on the drops, and has really made a name for himself as a #3 or #4 centre in the NHL.

It's difficult to say that player X is fashioning his game around player Y when player Y is viewed in many ways that player X will never be viewed.

The issue is that it's sexy to use a name like Staal when writing a column to sell a paper, but it's not sexy to use a name like Steckel. Even if the Steckel analogy is much more accurate - accuracy doesn't sell as well.

That's irresponsible journalism.
What offensive upside? He is 4th line at best.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:18 PM
pcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
What offensive upside? He is 4th line at best.
The guy was a first round pick, put up some decent numbers in the AHL, has played 400+ games in the NHL, 80 pts and is 31 years old.

All while being a 3rd and 4th liner playing between the Colton Orrs and Frazer Maclarens of the league. You don't play 400 games by age 31 if you're a 4th liner at best.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:19 PM
BlueMapleDawg

He's much more skilled than Steckel.

BlueMapleDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:38 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

He looks like he has vastly improved his skating.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Donmega

Colborne is more visible out there than grabo. That's saying something.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote