HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-27-2013, 09:13 PM
  #126
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
lol @ still talk of trading him... apparently people haven't seen the Rangers D lately..
Doesn't matter. Don't you know his brothers are on Carolina...we have to trade him or he's leaving in two years.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:07 AM
  #127
PBarrz
Registered User
 
PBarrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Eh, Im with the people that say just because his brothers are in Carolina it doesn't mean he'll wanna leave NY. I mean pretty soon the Canes are gonna be in our division and Marc will play against/see his brothers more often anyways...

PBarrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:37 AM
  #128
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
After bearing witness to the Staal Family Reunion in Carolina on Thursday, the Rangers should be worried very worried about losing Marc Staal to the Hurricanes when the defenseman become a free agent in two years.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...jCBwBONMfCQuFI

Divided loyalties.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:44 AM
  #129
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
They have 3 brothers on another team, each?

There seems to be a special circumstance doesn't it?


IF he wants that
Your entire premise is based on the assumption that he DOES want that.

Just like everyone who said Kreider wasn't going to sign with us because he's a boston fan.

Doesn't Cally want to sign in buffalo? That's close to Rochester. Doesn't Lundqvist want to play with other Swedes? Maybe he wants to go back to Sweden to play with his brother.

You don't have a shred of proof to support your assumption. Bottom line is, it's in the Rangers best interest to keep Staal and re-sign him when his contract is up. What we can get for him in a trade isn't nearly as important as what he can do for us on the ice.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:09 AM
  #130
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
As much as I hate to see Staal moved, the Rangers HAVE to protect themselves against such a thing happening. And, if that means dealing him this off-season for a package that includes Carolina's #1, so be it.


Last edited by jas: 04-28-2013 at 09:07 AM.
jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:19 AM
  #131
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
As much as I hate to see Staal moved, the Ranger HAVE to protect themselves against such a thing happening. And, if that means dealing him this off-season for a package that includes Carolina's #1, so be it.
now that I find out he has two years left on his contract, I would table this discussion for a year, however Carolina will have the no 5 pick at worst. If they gave us this pick for Marc Staal and threw in Jaime McBain, I would have to consider this.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:05 AM
  #132
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
As much as I hate to see Staal moved, the Ranger HAVE to protect themselves against such a thing happening. And, if that means dealing him this off-season for a package that includes Carolina's #1, so be it.
The Canes #1 pick is currently 5th overall depending on the lottery results.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:09 AM
  #133
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Your entire premise is based on the assumption that he DOES want that.

Just like everyone who said Kreider wasn't going to sign with us because he's a boston fan.

Doesn't Cally want to sign in buffalo? That's close to Rochester. Doesn't Lundqvist want to play with other Swedes? Maybe he wants to go back to Sweden to play with his brother.

You don't have a shred of proof to support your assumption. Bottom line is, it's in the Rangers best interest to keep Staal and re-sign him when his contract is up. What we can get for him in a trade isn't nearly as important as what he can do for us on the ice.
Staal has been on the ice much the last 2 seasons. The Rangers have protected themselves with the addition of Moore.

In early April,Staal joined the Rangers on a road trip to Pitt,Carolina and TO. Staal didn't go to Toronto. He stayed in Carolina and went back to NY by himself.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:15 AM
  #134
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,502
vCash: 500
oh boy what do u know, another Staal to Carolina article.. how original

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:16 AM
  #135
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
I'm not saying he won't leave (I'm not Marc Staal) but John Moore, while looking like a good addition, is not insurance against a Staal departure.

It's just not at all easy to replace a #1 defenseman. You can't just draft that every year or sign it in UFA like it's no big deal. His type of ability, especially in his own end, just doesn't come along often.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:23 AM
  #136
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I'm not saying he won't leave (I'm not Marc Staal) but John Moore, while looking like a good addition, is not insurance against a Staal departure.

It's just not at all easy to replace a #1 defenseman. You can't just draft that every year or sign it in UFA like it's no big deal. His type of ability, especially in his own end, just doesn't come along often.
I don't think you approach this situation expecting to "replace" Staal. I want the Rangers to be proactive, much like the Pens were with Jordan.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:25 AM
  #137
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I'm not saying he won't leave (I'm not Marc Staal) but John Moore, while looking like a good addition, is not insurance against a Staal departure.

It's just not at all easy to replace a #1 defenseman. You can't just draft that every year or sign it in UFA like it's no big deal. His type of ability, especially in his own end, just doesn't come along often.
Which is why you get Carolina to pay through the nose for him this summer.

The longer you wait, the closer he gets to UFA, the more the leverage shifts to them. Also, this summer they have pieces that make sense. Next year their pick likely isn't in the lottery, Faulk has taken another step forward and McBain has either stabilized or proven himself a dud. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to do the deal this summer --- all assuming you've made the determination that he wants to join his brothers of course.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:26 AM
  #138
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
First Friedman, now Brooks.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:27 AM
  #139
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,502
vCash: 500
I have to admit hearing the canes announcers would be lol. Staal chips in back to staal passes to staal staal in front back to the point to staal, GOAL! Staal scores his 3rd of the season from staal and staal

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:34 AM
  #140
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Your entire premise is based on the assumption that he DOES want that.

Just like everyone who said Kreider wasn't going to sign with us because he's a boston fan.

Doesn't Cally want to sign in buffalo? That's close to Rochester. Doesn't Lundqvist want to play with other Swedes? Maybe he wants to go back to Sweden to play with his brother.

You don't have a shred of proof to support your assumption. Bottom line is, it's in the Rangers best interest to keep Staal and re-sign him when his contract is up. What we can get for him in a trade isn't nearly as important as what he can do for us on the ice.
Go back and read my posts in this thread. Everything i've said is IF. IF.

and it's not an impossible IF.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:12 AM
  #141
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Rangers fans are so much in denial of Staal wanting to go to Carolina.

The writing is on the wall when they played Jared to debut against the Rangers.

Marc Staal will be a Carolina Hurricane in at least 2 yrs time.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:45 AM
  #142
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
5th pick in the draft. Centerpiece of the trade.

How do you make plans knowing there is a good possibility a player already has his foot out the door?

The Rangers have Girardi(group III) and DZ(group II)up for new contracts in 2014. Both players will need to be re-signed with uncertainty surrounding Staal.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:46 AM
  #143
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Rangers fans are so much in denial of Staal wanting to go to Carolina.

The writing is on the wall when they played Jared to debut against the Rangers.

Marc Staal will be a Carolina Hurricane in at least 2 yrs time.
What? Because they were on a line together? Callahan will be a Sabre when his contract is up cause his parents can see him easier. Lundqvist will leave to Frolunda because Joel is there too right? The writings on the wall.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:58 AM
  #144
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
What? Because they were on a line together? Callahan will be a Sabre when his contract is up cause his parents can see him easier. Lundqvist will leave to Frolunda because Joel is there too right? The writings on the wall.
You seriously can't see the difference?

Staal has THREE brothers on the team. Three. He grew up with these guys and parental influence has a lot to play in part of decisions by professional athletes. See Eric Lindros, Scott Neidermayer, Colby Rasmus.

In no way is it comparable with the Lundqvists since Joel isn't even on an NHL team. And what does Callahan have anything to do with the Sabres? None of these are remotely comparable.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:03 AM
  #145
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Staal has been on the ice much the last 2 seasons. The Rangers have protected themselves with the addition of Moore.

In early April,Staal joined the Rangers on a road trip to Pitt,Carolina and TO. Staal didn't go to Toronto. He stayed in Carolina and went back to NY by himself.
Which means what? Just because he's close with his family doesn't mean he's going to jump ship to carolina.

And even if he wants to sign with carolina, there's no reason we need to think about trading him this summer. That's just ridiculous.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
  #146
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
You seriously can't see the difference?

Staal has THREE brothers on the team. Three. He grew up with these guys and parental influence has a lot to play in part of decisions by professional athletes. See Eric Lindros, Scott Neidermayer, Colby Rasmus.

In no way is it comparable with the Lundqvists since Joel isn't even on an NHL team. And what does Callahan have anything to do with the Sabres? None of these are remotely comparable.
Yes they are. You don't know what Marc wants. For Scott N, he left NJ because the devils weren't able to agree on a deal/contract. He didn't do it cause Rob was there. You are making baseless claims. Unless you can read minds, or if Marc has reached out to you, no one knows what he wants except him. You say parental influence... Then why doesn't Callahan play closer to Roch? His parents could come out easier. Same with Hank.

We can talk about this again when he is becoming a free agent. For now, let him heal, let him come back, and he plays for us for another season.

Edit: For your sake, Buffalo is 45 to an hour from Rochester. So by your theory, if Cally's folks wanted him closer, he would just do it right?

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:12 AM
  #147
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Yes they are. You don't know what Marc wants. For Scott N, he left NJ because the devils weren't able to agree on a deal/contract. He didn't do it cause Rob was there. You are making baseless claims. Unless you can read minds, or if Marc has reached out to you, no one knows what he wants except him. You say parental influence... Then why doesn't Callahan play closer to Roch? His parents could come out easier. Same with Hank.

We can talk about this again when he is becoming a free agent. For now, let him heal, let him come back, and he plays for us for another season.
Devils offered Neidermayer the max contract.

He jumped ship because he want to go to his brother.

Hank's brother plays in the SEL, it's not even remotely comparable. He won't leave the NHL making 100x the salary to go with his brother.

Callahan's closer to family? This reminds me of the talk that all GTA born players want to go back to Toronto to be closer to family. Rarely does this happen. Callahan has no one on the team he's related to, unlike Staal.

With the Staals, it's different. Jordan forced his way to a trade there. You'd be crazy to turn down an offer to play alongside brothers you grew up with.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:16 AM
  #148
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
5th pick in the draft. Centerpiece of the trade.

How do you make plans knowing there is a good possibility a player already has his foot out the door?

The Rangers have Girardi(group III) and DZ(group II)up for new contracts in 2014. Both players will need to be re-signed with uncertainty surrounding Staal.
Depending on who is drafting 2/3, try to move up. That player would be on the Rangers next year.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:21 AM
  #149
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Devils offered Neidermayer the max contract.

He jumped ship because he want to go to his brother.

Hank's brother plays in the SEL, it's not even remotely comparable. He won't leave the NHL making 100x the salary to go with his brother.

Callahan's closer to family? This reminds me of the talk that all GTA born players want to go back to Toronto to be closer to family. Rarely does this happen. Callahan has no one on the team he's related to, unlike Staal.

With the Staals, it's different. Jordan forced his way to a trade there. You'd be crazy to turn down an offer to play alongside brothers you grew up with.
It is though. You said parents and family influence a lot right? Well then Callahans family should've told him to play in buffalo. And, I am sorry but you're wrong about Scott... I say this because I know a hell of a lot more devils fans, and the fact that People I knew worked on the inside told me otherwise; meaning that the Devils and him just weren't going to work. He was also aging. Yeah, Lou offered him big money, but on the whole NJ didn't even have a lot of funds. So no, he didn't leave cause Rob was telling him to come there. Baseless. Until its FA or deadline time next year, no one knows. You don't.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:24 AM
  #150
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I don't think you approach this situation expecting to "replace" Staal. I want the Rangers to be proactive, much like the Pens were with Jordan.
Exactly. If you think the best deal you're going to get is at the draft, and you know definitively that he wants to leave, then you have to make the move.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.