HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Frölunda have cleaned out the team of a lot of veterans and are going to have a very young team next year. Collberg is going to get plenty of opportunity to earn ice time, not just because Rönnberg is behind the bench.
Not to mention he was already often seeing top 6/top 9 ice time when he returned after the WJC.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:41 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
The Habs are down to 33 days to sign Nygren, Pribyl, and Archambault. Will be interesting to see what they do in each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
One thing that has been surprising is that we have room to sign 4-5 NCAA and CHL FA's and have not signed any yet. A guy like Fournier of Halifax would be a good fit, maybe an NCAA FA goalie.
I thought they would add a FA or two but I know in the NCAA it wasn't all that good of a FA class. Hopefully they find some good FA's to invite to the development camp. Perhaps they ink Alex Belzile to an NHL contract as he seemed to play well enough. I am interested to see if the goalie situation is improved or not, as we still lack depth on the farm as Delmas is running out of time since next season is the final of his contract and with Tokarski as a healthy scratch in 2 of the final 3 games I do wonder what the plan will be after Price/Budaj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Better off PLAYING in the SEL if he ends up PLAYING. Personnally, don't really buy the "but his junior coach will now coach him" stuff as this coach will also have to win and have the vets on his side. Collberg might the advantage of that coach knowing him more but if he has a rocky start, he will again visit the bench. I want a place where he'll play. If it's in the SEL, well so be it. If not, well Hamilton it is. And it is a young team because our organization wants it to be. You could easily make it less young, send a few prospect in the ECHL, and hire the appropriate vets. If they're intelligent this time around, that's what they'll do. If Hamilton is REALLY a farm team for the NHL team, you have no need in having guys like Corbin, Ross, Stortini, Hagel, Lefebvre, Fortier, Chaput, DeSantis and maybe even Nokelainen. Then you might send guys like Quailer and Stejskal in the ECHL. It leaves PLENTY of room for some good AHL vets possible callups for the NHL but mostly good teaches for the kids.
Agreed, wherever Collberg plays next season I just hope he gets a lot of ice time and that he puts on a show in Sweden for the WJC's!

Will be very interesting to see what changes are made in Hamilton, adding Kristo and Dietz, +++ should be fun to see plus any other moves. Some vets would be smart to mix with all the youth. I would bring Stortini back if they can't upgrade his spot as im not worried about him taking ice time away from a prospect since he's on the 4th line and they need someone who is willing to drop the gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Frölunda have cleaned out the team of a lot of veterans and are going to have a very young team next year. Collberg is going to get plenty of opportunity to earn ice time, not just because Rönnberg is behind the bench.
Interesting, if he's back in the SEL then I hope he gets a good bit of ice time and shows what he can do. It doesn't matter to me if he plays in the SEL or the AHL or even the CHL if the Habs felt that was best for him. Whatever root he takes I just want to see him play a lot and do well, if he's in Hamilton though at least I would get to see him play every game which would be a lot of fun as he looks like he could be a special player one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I tend to agree but you're throwing Corbin under the bus at a pretty young age. He still hasn't seen his 21st birthday, has good size and must have shown enough to warrant a contract in the first place. Should we not give him one more year?
I would be surprised if he got an NHL contract from the Habs.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:14 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The Habs are down to 33 days to sign Nygren, Pribyl, and Archambault. Will be interesting to see what they do in each.
From his twitter messages it seems like Nygren is following the Habs closely. The fact that they tried to bring him over seems to bode well... but I may be reading too much into it.

Quote:
I would be surprised if he got an NHL contract from the Habs.
Both you and Whitesnake follow the prospects much more closely than I do but Corbin was the second youngest player on the team last year after Beaulieu. He is two years younger than Pateryn and I thought he might be a player worth trying to develop, even if it was not an NHL contract. Still, I haven't seen him play and I value the insights that both of you provide

Old
04-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Et le But

Opinions on Corbin seem to be split, he didn't impress me at all the few times I saw him with the Bulldogs.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:36 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Opinions on Corbin seem to be split, he didn't impress me at all the few times I saw him with the Bulldogs.
Thanks for the additional info. It really helps to get the opinion of those who have actually seen him play.

Of course, it might be tough to evaluate anyone who played under Lefebvre this year

Old
04-28-2013, 11:52 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Dude could not distribute the puck to save his life. Often had to make miraculous diving poke checks because he was out of position so much. Do not want.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Dude could not distribute the puck to save his life. Often had to make miraculous diving poke checks because he was out of position so much. Do not want.
He really tailed off big time, but for the first 15ish games, at times, he was our best defenseman down there.

That's how bad it was at one point.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:59 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He really tailed off big time, but for the first 15ish games, at times, he was our best defenseman down there.

That's how bad it was at one point.
I don't think he was ever better or more steady than Pateryn, but I can't remember exactly when he went down, so you might be right there. Watching the hamilton games on TVA seems like a lifetime ago. I'm also not sure if he was more reliable than St-Denis at any point.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I don't think he was ever better or more steady than Pateryn, but I can't remember exactly when he went down, so you might be right there. Watching the hamilton games on TVA seems like a lifetime ago. I'm also not sure if he was more reliable than St-Denis at any point.
Pateryn played, I think 2 games and then got hurt.

Some games he was pretty bad, but he had the odd game where he seemed to be the only competent dman.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Pateryn played, I think 2 games and then got hurt.

Some games he was pretty bad, but he had the odd game where he seemed to be the only competent dman.
You could be right, the team looked like a right mess half the time.

Last edited by overlords: 04-28-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
One thing that has been surprising is that we have room to sign 4-5 NCAA and CHL FA's and have not signed any yet. A guy like Fournier of Halifax would be a good fit, maybe an NCAA FA goalie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I thought they would add a FA or two but I know in the NCAA it wasn't all that good of a FA class. Hopefully they find some good FA's to invite to the development camp. Perhaps they ink Alex Belzile to an NHL contract as he seemed to play well enough.
I would be very hesitant before handing out NHL contracts to undrafted players from the NCAA or the CHL. If you look at who the Habs have signed in the past few years, only B.Nash and Mayer turned our to be decent AHL players. The rest (Bishop, Massé, Lefebvre and Delmas) were/are barely ECHL quality. Those signings ended up being a waste of contract space at a time where we were very close to the contract limit.

I would like to see Stefan Fournier, Alex Belizle and Stephen MacAulay in either Hamilton or Wheeling next season, but I don't think they deserve anything more than a AHL contract. If they play well, they could earn a NHL contract in a few months/years (it worked out in the past with Desharnais and St-Denis).

Old
04-28-2013, 02:48 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I would be very hesitant before handing out NHL contracts to undrafted players from the NCAA or the CHL. If you look at who the Habs have signed in the past few years, only B.Nash and Mayer turned our to be decent AHL players. The rest (Bishop, Massé, Lefebvre and Delmas) were/are barely ECHL quality. Those signings ended up being a waste of contract space at a time where we were very close to the contract limit.

I would like to see Stefan Fournier, Alex Belizle and Stephen MacAulay in either Hamilton or Wheeling next season, but I don't think they deserve anything more than a AHL contract. If they play well, they could earn a NHL contract in a few months/years (it worked out in the past with Desharnais and St-Denis).
Ew not MacAulay. He has molasses for feet.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:11 PM
S Bah

I think it might be good to bring a line from the WHL's - Spokane Chiefs ;

Mike Aviani -C - LH -5'11" - 195 lbs. GP -71 - 30 + 38 = 68 pts - +37 - PIM = 90
Blake Gal -RW -RH -6'1" - 200 lbs. GP -57 - 17 + 24 = 41 pts - +26 - PIM = 31
Todd Fiddler-LW -LH -5'11"- 210 lbs. GP -70 - 42 + 35 = 77 pts - +20 - PIM = 39

these three forwards seemed like pretty solid 20 yr. olds that can help in Hamilton.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I tend to agree but you're throwing Corbin under the bus at a pretty young age. He still hasn't seen his 21st birthday, has good size and must have shown enough to warrant a contract in the first place. Should we not give him one more year?
A guy like Corbin, I'd see that in the ECHL. Wouldn't mind keeping him around...but would he want to do that?

Old
04-30-2013, 05:40 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

One guy who I hope we look at to sign is Niederberger, Barrie's goalie. He's been solid once again this year. Just consistent and he again stepped it up in the playoffs. Smallish but I think (read: with limited goalie scouting knowledge) he is a good project with potential. I can see him in Wheeling to start.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:53 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

So during their respective stints on the Bulldogs', how would you compare Collberg with Hudon?

Old
04-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
So during their respective stints on the Bulldogs', how would you compare Collberg with Hudon?
It sounds to me like Collberg was more impressive than Kristo but less than Hudon, but others can tell you more.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Nedved

hudon is the real deal, the guy has ELITE creativity--cannot believe he went in the 5th round. I'm literally blown away watching this guy play, and what he can do with, and WITHOUT, the puck.

easily my favorite prospect right now...

Old
05-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
hudon is the real deal, the guy has ELITE creativity--cannot believe he went in the 5th round. I'm literally blown away watching this guy play, and what he can do with, and WITHOUT, the puck.

Having not watched him very much and only read a couple of prospect reports, I wasn't very excited about him. It was the typical small, skilled forward that'll slot in beside Desharnais, Gallagher, Gionta, with no toughness etc. I was shocked to watch him and realize he's NOT ACTUALLY THAT SMALL. He's listed to be as tall as 5'11. After watching him play more I've been shocked that he hasn't gotten more attention. Outstanding player, could work on some things but I think he'll impress next year at the WJCs.

Last edited by Draft: 05-01-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old
05-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Et le But

Quote:

When they drafted him I honestly thought he was a slightly better version of Archambault..but he's taken steps forward in every part of his game. The kid is a beast, only behind Beaulieu, Tinordi and Collberg as far as our prospects go for me (Galchenyuk and Gallagher don't count anymore)

Old
05-02-2013, 02:53 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 3s

Canadiens put Alexander Avstin on waivers and release him. #RDS

Not surprising..

Old
05-02-2013, 03:26 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
From his twitter messages it seems like Nygren is following the Habs closely. The fact that they tried to bring him over seems to bode well... but I may be reading too much into it.

Both you and Whitesnake follow the prospects much more closely than I do but Corbin was the second youngest player on the team last year after Beaulieu. He is two years younger than Pateryn and I thought he might be a player worth trying to develop, even if it was not an NHL contract. Still, I haven't seen him play and I value the insights that both of you provide
Hopefully Nygren is signed at some point before the deadline, still have 29 days but don't want it to go down to the wire.

Corbin perhaps they bring back for ECHL depth but I'd be surprised if they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post

Since they are free players I would always be interesting in signing the right players out of the NCAA or CHL. Desharanis, Danis, Trotter, Nash, St-Denis, all saw time with the Habs, Desjardins was a good pickup as well imo. Imo they should be brought in more for depth on the farm and if they show something more then great. I don't always agree with the players they sign, as I don't know what they saw in Lefebvre or Mayer to get NHL contracts but there's always going to be mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Hudon was very involved in the play, making things happen out there. Collberg showed better skating/wheels but it was too short to get a good feel since it was only 2 games.

Quote:

I am very impressed with him, going to be interesting to see where his game is at in some 15 months when the Habs open camp on the 2014-2015 season. His creativity is elite I agree, it's likely what impresses me the most. I do have concerns over his lack of mass/strength but hopefully over the next few years he can continue to work on it.

I had considered putting him #1 on my year end top 20 ranking as I was that impressed with him but with issues over size/strength and some injury woes I figured I should hold off.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Mercury10

I have only seen stats and short highlites of Stefan Fournier and would really like someone to tell me why he didn't stick with Pittsburgh and why nobody else has picked him up. On paper he seems like a no-brainer to be signed by Hamilton but something must be wrong with him. Someone please enlighten this west coast Habs fan.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury10 View Post
I have only seen stats and short highlites of Stefan Fournier and would really like someone to tell me why he didn't stick with Pittsburgh and why nobody else has picked him up. On paper he seems like a no-brainer to be signed by Hamilton but something must be wrong with him. Someone please enlighten this west coast Habs fan.
His skating is the big issue, but he has good size, solid skill and plays a good all around game.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Having not watched him very much and only read a couple of prospect reports, I wasn't very excited about him. It was the typical small, skilled forward that'll slot in beside Desharnais, Gallagher, Gionta, with no toughness etc. I was shocked to watch him and realize he's NOT ACTUALLY THAT SMALL. He's listed to be as tall as 5'11. After watching him play more I've been shocked that he hasn't gotten more attention. Outstanding player, could work on some things but I think he'll impress next year at the WJCs.
Hudon is probably more around 5'10" and 170-175lbs than 5'11". He is smart enough to overcome the size thing though.

Closed Thread