HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 11:14 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Eh, I wouldn't take that as a conclusion that he returns. I think it would be highly unlikely that the GM would say that a guy is going to get bought out publicly while the season is still going on. Of course that doesn't mean he WILL be bought out, but that would be like a player coming out and saying he thinks he will be bought out or wants to be bought out or whatever. These guys just don't say things like that, other than in very rare cases.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

of course its not Holmgren's final decision on the coach or Bryz getting bought out. Holmgren can say whatever he wants. Doesn't matter if you think hes blowing smoke up everyones ass or not. If Snider wants you gone you have no say. Well you have a say but it doesnt matter.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:59 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Bryz played well last night.

But as usual, it was one game and a game that didn't mean ****.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Rolex

Holmgren is right. He needs to get to the bottom of this and correct whatever caused the wheels to go off of the cart this season. He won't be selling many tickets this summer by coming back to the fans with the same old stuff. Among other things, one of Bryz or Laviolette has to go.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

id b completely fine with Mason n Bryz next year.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

If Mason keeps this up in 2013-14, Bryzgalov is going to be a 5+ mil backup.

We can name the season Fifty Shades of Huet

04-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Funny what having capable goaltending does.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Radivojevic View Post
Ottawa and Columbus are two shining examples as well.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Radivojevic View Post
It ruins your draft position?

Old
04-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It ruins your draft position?
Ugh, I know. They should have put Bryz in for the 3rd, we'd still be drafting 8th.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:17 PM
dawkins121

How funny would it be if Mason rediscovers his form in Philadelphia of all places.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
How funny would it be if Mason rediscovers his form in Philadelphia of all places.
How funny would it be if once Reese gets his hands on him properly, he loses all of the magic he has shown thus far

Not funny at all, actually

Old
04-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Prongo
Beer

Reese is already working with him. Telling him to play a little deeper in the net and use his big frame and athletism to stop the pucks. Staying in his net a little further will also cut down on him getting out of position.

Also his one major weakness coming to us was his glove hand. He had a weak glove hand for a while but it seems like it is one of his stronger suites right now. He is really showing what he can do with confidence.

I will say though I worry about when he faces his first adversity in our uniform. He was a very young goalie though in Columbus and thrown into the fire extremely quick. Maybe he just needed some time and the right coaching to get his head back on straight and become the goaltender people envisioned him being.

It would be lovely if he did develop into what he was supposed to be. The main boards and other fans won't have a least that stupid comment to make about our franchise. But that's still some ways away

EDIT: also pretty sure Holmgren even said Reese was a key part in the Flyers trading for Mason. He really liked what he saw even when he was struggling. They tried for him in the Carter trade as well

Last edited by Prongo: 04-27-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old
04-27-2013, 11:02 PM
FlyersFan61290

I'm not ready to say mason has turned it around. He's sucked for far too long, after only watching him in a relatively low stress situation over the course of like 7 games or whatever I don't think we've seen enough. I'm very happy we got him for cheap as he has great potential/abilities but lets not forget that Bryz posted similar numbers his first 10-12 games of the season and we all know how that turned out

Lets just say I'm cautiously optimistic

Old
04-28-2013, 02:21 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
FTR Mason's stats as a Flyer .944 SV% 1.9 GAA
For this year .916 SV% 2.59 GAA

Old
04-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Haute Couturier

Sick of hearing about the magic of Jeff Reese. That's all we heard about when he supposedly resurrected Leighton's career. We all know how that turned out. Wake me up when Mason puts up those numbers over a full season instead of 6 starts.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Codith

Mason is playing like he gives a **** again, could be exactly what the doctor ordered

Old
04-28-2013, 09:26 AM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Mason is playing like he gives a **** again, could be exactly what the doctor ordered
Not being in Columbus would have that effect.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:46 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I'm not ready to say mason has turned it around. He's sucked for far too long, after only watching him in a relatively low stress situation over the course of like 7 games or whatever I don't think we've seen enough. I'm very happy we got him for cheap as he has great potential/abilities but lets not forget that Bryz posted similar numbers his first 10-12 games of the season and we all know how that turned out

Lets just say I'm cautiously optimistic
i hear you, but i didn't watch him play that much in columbus. All i'm seeing right now is a kid with monster size and great reflexes and athleticism. I knew he was big but he dwarfs bryzgalov. This really could go down as one of the best trades in our history. The skills are obviously there. it as usual with goalies in the NHL, its gonna come down to mental stability. as long as we don't give him a 9 year deal next summer he should be fine.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Not being in Columbus would have that effect.
Tell that to Bobs.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:50 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Tell that to Bobs.
Bob had an amazing first year with Columbus. Mason had an amazing first year with Columbus. Look at what Mason did with Columbus after that first year. Can Bob break the cycle?

Old
04-28-2013, 12:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If Mason keeps this up in 2013-14, Bryzgalov is going to be a 5+ mil backup.

We can name the season Fifty Shades of Huet
But we have amnesty; the great savior of Philadelphia hockey!

Old
04-28-2013, 12:31 PM
dawkins121

Bob has looked great in Columbus for this half season and Mason has looked great in Philly for his half dozen games or whatever but goalie performance is so volatile I wouldn't trust either one too much. I feel like only truly generational talents are consistent from year to year (Lundqvist, Brodeur of 5 years ago, Roy, Hasek, etc.). Everyone else fluctuates through hot streaks and cold streaks depending on some combination of their inherent skill, puck luck, and the defense in front of them. That's why I've always been a proponent of the goalie by committee approach.

If you have two capable but not big name goaltenders they always are being pushed to be at their best by the competition, they are both on relatively cheap deals, and you have double the chance of finding a hot goalie for a playoff run which is all that really matters anyway. Look at Holtby last year, or hell even Quick who won a Conn Smythe for his insane playoff run then regressed to have a save % of barely over .900 this year despite playing behind one of the best puck possession teams in the league. Speaking of Conn Smythe winners, how about Cam Ward who took his team to the Cup, signed a big deal, and has been a middle of the pack goalie ever since? Or JS Giguere who was so good he won the Conn Smythe on the losing team then promptly became a career backup? Doesn't Brian Boucher still hold the consecutive shutout record of the last 30 years?

Unless you have a generational goalie, they are like closers in baseball or kickers in football. Better off investing in the team in front of them and hoping one of them gets hot at the right time than locking one down long term. Bryz is almost definitely getting amnestied next summer, I just hope they don't replace his contract with another big one no matter who it goes to.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Bob has looked great in Columbus for this half season and Mason has looked great in Philly for his half dozen games or whatever but goalie performance is so volatile I wouldn't trust either one too much. I feel like only truly generational talents are consistent from year to year (Lundqvist, Brodeur of 5 years ago, Roy, Hasek, etc.). Everyone else fluctuates through hot streaks and cold streaks depending on some combination of their inherent skill, puck luck, and the defense in front of them. That's why I've always been a proponent of the goalie by committee approach.

If you have two capable but not big name goaltenders they always are being pushed to be at their best by the competition, they are both on relatively cheap deals, and you have double the chance of finding a hot goalie for a playoff run which is all that really matters anyway. Look at Holtby last year, or hell even Quick who won a Conn Smythe for his insane playoff run then regressed to have a save % of barely over .900 this year despite playing behind one of the best puck possession teams in the league. Speaking of Conn Smythe winners, how about Cam Ward who took his team to the Cup, signed a big deal, and has been a middle of the pack goalie ever since? Or JS Giguere who was so good he won the Conn Smythe on the losing team then promptly became a career backup? Doesn't Brian Boucher still hold the consecutive shutout record of the last 30 years?

Unless you have a generational goalie, they are like closers in baseball or kickers in football. Better off investing in the team in front of them and hoping one of them gets hot at the right time than locking one down long term. Bryz is almost definitely getting amnestied next summer, I just hope they don't replace his contract with another big one no matter who it goes to.
Quick is a poor example because he's coming off major back surgery.

Edit: I would say Anderson works better. From everything I've seen of him, it's entirely possible he drops to .900 or .910 next year

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 04-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 12:52 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Quick is a poor example because he's coming off major back surgery.

Edit: I would say Anderson works better. From everything I've seen of him, it's entirely possible he drops to .900 or .910 next year
Had no idea Quick had back surgery, he probably deserves a pass for now especially since we're talking about a half season sample size. Craig Anderson is a good example though.

Closed Thread