HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 09:22 AM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Morrow at 2 mil is better for our team than Cooke at similar money.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:43 AM
regard

In regards to who plays with Martin what about a Niskanen Martin pairing where both play on thier offwing where thier most comfortable.
If Despres Letang works out this could be an option.

Despres Letang
Niskanen Martin
Murray Engelland/Bortuzzo

Old
04-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He might be gone regardless. If we look at it from a pure value standpoint, he's about the least essential FA forward. And I like what he brings.
Looking at the guys who can leave, I'd say these are the must re-signs:

Iggy
Dupuis

These are the question marks and only one from each pairing will likely be brought back:

Murray
Eaton

Cooke
Morrow

These are the ones you let walk:

TK
Adams (doubt DB will be able to let go)

Old
04-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Looking at the guys who can leave, I'd say these are the must re-signs:

Iggy
Dupuis
If the prices are at all reasonable (I think they will be), for sure.

Quote:
These are the question marks and only one from each pairing will likely be brought back:

Murray
Eaton

Cooke
Morrow
If we were to move Orpik (please God), we really ought to retain Murray. I hope we let Eaton go, no offense to how he's performed so far. He's not going to get any faster, and our young guys have to play.

The choice between Cooke and Morrow may come down to dollars.

Quote:
These are the ones you let walk:

TK
Adams (doubt DB will be able to let go)
Adams might need to be retained just based on how cheap he is.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

I seriously see Adams staying for a long time. His skills can't get any worse and he's really not that fast too begin with.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:08 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Morrow at 2 mil is better for our team than Cooke at similar money.
Not over a whole season. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the team for 2 mill or less, but not because he's better than Cooke. It'd be because he's there for vet leadership, and hopefully wouldn't see more than 55-60 games.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:13 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Not over a whole season. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the team for 2 mill or less, but not because he's better than Cooke. It'd be because he's there for vet leadership, and hopefully wouldn't see more than 55-60 games.
He'll be fine with limited minutes. He has to sign on the cheap. But Id like to see him stick around.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I seriously see Adams staying for a long time. His skills can't get any worse and he's really not that fast too begin with.
I'm preaching to the choir with you, but at some point Adams has to go.

We are already seeing Vitale benched for Adams and Glass, and someone like Sill should be playing on the fourth line by now. You have to give these guys a chance. I'm fairly confident in saying that Sill can do as good a job as Adams on the PK and will cycle the puck better, hit, grind ****ers down, whatever it is DB thinks Adams is so special at, Sill can do, trust me.

I'm 100% sure this team will survive without Adams and almost 100% sure Glass will not be bought out or traded. So Adams has to go this Summer.

It's time.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Dupree13

Just saw Iggy put his Calgary home up for sale. I have to think he's going to be re-signing in Pitts, every sign points to it.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Morrow with another nice audition for a re-sign tonight.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:10 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Just saw Iggy put his Calgary home up for sale. I have to think he's going to be re-signing in Pitts, every sign points to it.
Well he wasn't going to re-sign with Calgary anyway after he was traded. He doesn't want to be a part of a rebuild.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis

That's my top-9, without question.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla: Easily the best line in the NHL.

Bennett - Malkin - Neal: Beau has earned his right to full time duty on a scoring line. The kid has shown that he can do it all at this level, and he's got the creativity to be a successful winger on Malkin's line. They can work a give and go like nobody's business, and Geno loves that.

Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis: Scoring, speed, and responsible defensively? That's a line Bylsma will never break up, should he decide to put it together.

Jeffrey - Vitale - Adams: After that, the 4th line is a toss up. I'd absolutely have Vitale as our 4C. He's everything we need in a 4C. Hits everything that moves, good at faceoffs, and is an energy guy. As for the 4th line wingers, I suppose we're likely to see Glass and Adams, though I'd like to see Glass disappear. He's been a total waste of a roster spot all season. I'd like to see Jeffrey get time as the 4th line LW, because he's proven he's a capable NHLer by now and it would be a shame to let him go for nothing.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis

That's my top-9, without question.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla: Easily the best line in the NHL.

Bennett - Malkin - Neal: Beau has earned his right to full time duty on a scoring line. The kid has shown that he can do it all at this level, and he's got the creativity to be a successful winger on Malkin's line. They can work a give and go like nobody's business, and Geno loves that.

Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis: Scoring, speed, and responsible defensively? That's a line Bylsma will never break up, should he decide to put it together.

Jeffrey - Vitale - Adams: After that, the 4th line is a toss up. I'd absolutely have Vitale as our 4C. He's everything we need in a 4C. Hits everything that moves, good at faceoffs, and is an energy guy. As for the 4th line wingers, I suppose we're likely to see Glass and Adams, though I'd like to see Glass disappear. He's been a total waste of a roster spot all season. I'd like to see Jeffrey get time as the 4th line LW, because he's proven he's a capable NHLer by now and it would be a shame to let him go for nothing.
Your forgetting morrow

Old
04-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Your forgetting morrow
No I'm not. He's going to command too much money this summer, just like Cooke. I'd like to keep Morrow, but there's no spot for him and unless he's going to sign for Dupuis-like money (~$1.5M) he's going to be too expensive.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
No I'm not. He's going to command too much money this summer, just like Cooke. I'd like to keep Morrow, but there's no spot for him and unless he's going to sign for Dupuis-like money (~$1.5M) he's going to be too expensive.
My bad. I read it as these were your current lines for this year. Don't know why. I agree tho that both Cooke and Morrow may be to expensive

Old
04-24-2013, 03:45 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Perhaps he's just expediting his move to Boston.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:09 PM
mpp9

Noticed that Murray has been getting the most PK minutes of any defender the last few games. With Bortuzzo, Engelland and Dumoulin pushing for spots next year, do we really need Brooks at 3.75 when Murray can likely be resigned for nearly half the money?

We have no need for Brooks' "veteran leadership". Retaining Iggy and Morrow will keep the room in line.

Aside from Shero being willing to honor Brooks' contract after taking a discount following the 08 Finals, I don't see why he should be on this team next year.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:14 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Noticed that Murray has been getting the most PK minutes of any defender the last few games. With Bortuzzo, Engelland and Dumoulin pushing for spots next year, do we really need Brooks at 3.75 when Murray can likely be resigned for nearly half the money?

We have no need for Brooks' "veteran leadership". Retaining Iggy and Morrow will keep the room in line.

Aside from Shero being willing to honor Brooks' contract after taking a discount following the 08 Finals, I don't see why he should be on this team next year.
Me neither, but what you said in your last sentence is what most likely will happen. Orpik will finish his time year. I actually do think he could get us a late first round pick, but Shero wouldn't do that. There will be a logjam at d for another season.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:21 PM
DoktorZaius

Couple things -- I wouldn't be surprised, or sad, to see Eaton back here at a very low number. For what he does at his hit? He's worth his weight in gold. And we all know that a top-heavy team like this needs guys who can get it done at low cap hits.

Also, and this may be a bit out of left field, but what do people think about Gonchar? I'm not someone who would go out and pay big $$$ for him, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the guy really wants to come back to Pittsburgh for a year or 2 at a low number. The reason Shero didn't offer 3 years ago is because we weren't willing to touch 5.5 at his age, but if the number if 1 or 1.2 or less this time around...do we bite?

Again, totally speculative, because for all I know Gonchar will re-sign in Ottawa a week from now.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:27 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

FORWARDS
Pascal Dupuis ($2.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.350m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m)
Craig Adams ($0.675m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) / Mark Eaton ($0.725m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)

OTHER
Buyout: Tanner Glass ($0.000m)
Buyout: Brooks Orpik ($0.000m)
Buyout: Steve MacIntyre ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,185,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $114,167

Sadly, no Morrow on this roster. I just think he'll be the odd man out. And it may be for the best. His legs were dead in Dallas. He might turn back to that given an 82-game season.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Sivek

As good as Morrow has been with the Pens (and he's playing at a level no one should of expected), I have absolutely no problem with him signing somewhere else next year. Feels like the Pens caught lightning in the bottle with him and I just don't feel confident that he can play his current style and be effective over a full-season. Unless he was willing to come back on one-year deal, I'd move on without him with no hesitation.

I'm loving the Morrow experience now, but the prospect of signing him for a couple of years at around 3mil per and him looking like a millstone come December is a bit scary. He's a perfect fit for the current team but there's just too many other priorities to care of that are going to take a lot of term and money to commit much to keeping Morrow. Think the adrenaline of getting traded to a great team during a Cup push won't carry over to next year. I'd like to be wrong but that's where I stand on re-signing Morrow.

Also have a strong feeling that Niskanen is going to be moved come draft time, more so than Orpik. Someone like Dumoulin taking his spot on the roster will be around a 1.5mil gain in cap-space and help recoup some of the lost draft picks.

Last edited by Sivek: 04-28-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 12:17 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
As good as Morrow has been with the Pens (and he's playing at a level no one should of expected), I have absolutely no problem with him signing someone else next year. Feels like the Pens caught lightning in the bottle with him and I just don't feel confident that he can play his current style and be effective over a full-season. Unless he was willing to come back on one-year deal, I'd move on without him with no hesitation.

I'm loving the Morrow experience now, but the prospect of signing him for a couple of years at around 3mi per and him looking like a millstone come December is a bit scary. He's a perfect fit for the current team but there's just too many other priorities to care of that are going to take a lot of term and money to commit much to keeping Morrow. Think the adrenaline of getting traded to a great team during a Cup push won't carry over to next year. I'd like to be wrong but that's where I stand on re-signing Morrow.

Also have a strong feeling that Niskanen is going to be moved come draft time, more so than Orpik. Someone like Dumoulin taking his spot on the roster will be around a 1.5mil gain in cap-space and help recoup some of the lost draft picks.
1. Agree about Morrow.

2. I would not be surprised if both Niskanen AND Orpik are moved. I had thought that it would be Martin. Now, I'm thinking maybe the other two, with Shero resigning Eaton on the cheap and going with Letang, Martin, Murray (resign), Despres, Eaton, Engo, and giving kids like Dumoulin a shot and trying to save money for the deadline.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:55 AM
JTG

I'd sign Morrow because what he does isn't always shown on a statsheet. Now, I wouldn't go crazy with his salary, but I'd feel comfortable with a number in the 3.0-3.25 range on a 1 or 2 year deal.

And I think he looked old in Dallas because of the situation. Being here has taken years off of him. You can tell he's sort of relishing in the fact that he's on a winner, and he's just a player...not the captain.

Last edited by JTG: 04-28-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

I'm confident Iggy's going to be a big factor in the playoffs, but there's a pretty good argument that Jokinen and Morrow have been better players to this point.

If they keep going like this it could change which signings we prioritize, when you factor money into the equation.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I'm confident Iggy's going to be a big factor in the playoffs, but there's a pretty good argument that Jokinen and Morrow have been better players to this point.

If they keep going like this it could change which signings we prioritize, when you factor money into the equation.
JJ has been a notoriously streaky player and Iggy has been an uncanny model of consistency over his career.

Morrow one could possibly make a case for over Iggy due to dollars, but overall Iggy is the guy who I am most comfortable having over the long term of the three.

Iggy has 11 points in 13 games and still isn't even comfortable in his role yet. Wait until he feels comfortable, like you are saying, and I doubt there will be much debate over who should be the priority this summer.

Closed Thread