HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 09:22 AM
  #476
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,158
vCash: 500
Morrow at 2 mil is better for our team than Cooke at similar money.

mpp9 is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:43 AM
  #477
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
In regards to who plays with Martin what about a Niskanen Martin pairing where both play on thier offwing where thier most comfortable.
If Despres Letang works out this could be an option.


Despres Letang
Niskanen Martin
Murray Engelland/Bortuzzo

regard is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:59 AM
  #478
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He might be gone regardless. If we look at it from a pure value standpoint, he's about the least essential FA forward. And I like what he brings.
Looking at the guys who can leave, I'd say these are the must re-signs:

Iggy
Dupuis

These are the question marks and only one from each pairing will likely be brought back:

Murray
Eaton

Cooke
Morrow

These are the ones you let walk:

TK
Adams (doubt DB will be able to let go)

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:04 AM
  #479
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Looking at the guys who can leave, I'd say these are the must re-signs:

Iggy
Dupuis
If the prices are at all reasonable (I think they will be), for sure.

Quote:
These are the question marks and only one from each pairing will likely be brought back:

Murray
Eaton

Cooke
Morrow
If we were to move Orpik (please God), we really ought to retain Murray. I hope we let Eaton go, no offense to how he's performed so far. He's not going to get any faster, and our young guys have to play.

The choice between Cooke and Morrow may come down to dollars.

Quote:
These are the ones you let walk:

TK
Adams (doubt DB will be able to let go)
Adams might need to be retained just based on how cheap he is.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
  #480
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 18,035
vCash: 500
I seriously see Adams staying for a long time. His skills can't get any worse and he's really not that fast too begin with.

MrBurgundy is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 01:08 PM
  #481
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Praha, CZ
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Morrow at 2 mil is better for our team than Cooke at similar money.
Not over a whole season. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the team for 2 mill or less, but not because he's better than Cooke. It'd be because he's there for vet leadership, and hopefully wouldn't see more than 55-60 games.

HandshakeLine is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 01:13 PM
  #482
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Not over a whole season. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the team for 2 mill or less, but not because he's better than Cooke. It'd be because he's there for vet leadership, and hopefully wouldn't see more than 55-60 games.
He'll be fine with limited minutes. He has to sign on the cheap. But Id like to see him stick around.

mpp9 is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 02:04 PM
  #483
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I seriously see Adams staying for a long time. His skills can't get any worse and he's really not that fast too begin with.
I'm preaching to the choir with you, but at some point Adams has to go.

We are already seeing Vitale benched for Adams and Glass, and someone like Sill should be playing on the fourth line by now. You have to give these guys a chance. I'm fairly confident in saying that Sill can do as good a job as Adams on the PK and will cycle the puck better, hit, grind ****ers down, whatever it is DB thinks Adams is so special at, Sill can do, trust me.

I'm 100% sure this team will survive without Adams and almost 100% sure Glass will not be bought out or traded. So Adams has to go this Summer.

It's time.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 06:22 PM
  #484
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Just saw Iggy put his Calgary home up for sale. I have to think he's going to be re-signing in Pitts, every sign points to it.

Dupree13 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:24 PM
  #485
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45,547
vCash: 500
Morrow with another nice audition for a re-sign tonight.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:10 PM
  #486
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 18,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Just saw Iggy put his Calgary home up for sale. I have to think he's going to be re-signing in Pitts, every sign points to it.
Well he wasn't going to re-sign with Calgary anyway after he was traded. He doesn't want to be a part of a rebuild.

MrBurgundy is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
  #487
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded
 
Coach John McGuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 15,385
vCash: 500
Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis

That's my top-9, without question.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla: Easily the best line in the NHL.

Bennett - Malkin - Neal: Beau has earned his right to full time duty on a scoring line. The kid has shown that he can do it all at this level, and he's got the creativity to be a successful winger on Malkin's line. They can work a give and go like nobody's business, and Geno loves that.

Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis: Scoring, speed, and responsible defensively? That's a line Bylsma will never break up, should he decide to put it together.

Jeffrey - Vitale - Adams: After that, the 4th line is a toss up. I'd absolutely have Vitale as our 4C. He's everything we need in a 4C. Hits everything that moves, good at faceoffs, and is an energy guy. As for the 4th line wingers, I suppose we're likely to see Glass and Adams, though I'd like to see Glass disappear. He's been a total waste of a roster spot all season. I'd like to see Jeffrey get time as the 4th line LW, because he's proven he's a capable NHLer by now and it would be a shame to let him go for nothing.

Coach John McGuirk is online now  
Old
04-23-2013, 11:15 AM
  #488
Hottubber
Registered User
 
Hottubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis

That's my top-9, without question.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla: Easily the best line in the NHL.

Bennett - Malkin - Neal: Beau has earned his right to full time duty on a scoring line. The kid has shown that he can do it all at this level, and he's got the creativity to be a successful winger on Malkin's line. They can work a give and go like nobody's business, and Geno loves that.

Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis: Scoring, speed, and responsible defensively? That's a line Bylsma will never break up, should he decide to put it together.

Jeffrey - Vitale - Adams: After that, the 4th line is a toss up. I'd absolutely have Vitale as our 4C. He's everything we need in a 4C. Hits everything that moves, good at faceoffs, and is an energy guy. As for the 4th line wingers, I suppose we're likely to see Glass and Adams, though I'd like to see Glass disappear. He's been a total waste of a roster spot all season. I'd like to see Jeffrey get time as the 4th line LW, because he's proven he's a capable NHLer by now and it would be a shame to let him go for nothing.
Your forgetting morrow

Hottubber is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 11:18 AM
  #489
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded
 
Coach John McGuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 15,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Your forgetting morrow
No I'm not. He's going to command too much money this summer, just like Cooke. I'd like to keep Morrow, but there's no spot for him and unless he's going to sign for Dupuis-like money (~$1.5M) he's going to be too expensive.

Coach John McGuirk is online now  
Old
04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
  #490
Hottubber
Registered User
 
Hottubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
No I'm not. He's going to command too much money this summer, just like Cooke. I'd like to keep Morrow, but there's no spot for him and unless he's going to sign for Dupuis-like money (~$1.5M) he's going to be too expensive.
My bad. I read it as these were your current lines for this year. Don't know why. I agree tho that both Cooke and Morrow may be to expensive

Hottubber is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 03:45 PM
  #491
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 34,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Just saw Iggy put his Calgary home up for sale. I have to think he's going to be re-signing in Pitts, every sign points to it.
Perhaps he's just expediting his move to Boston.

KIRK is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 04:09 PM
  #492
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,158
vCash: 500
Noticed that Murray has been getting the most PK minutes of any defender the last few games. With Bortuzzo, Engelland and Dumoulin pushing for spots next year, do we really need Brooks at 3.75 when Murray can likely be resigned for nearly half the money?

We have no need for Brooks' "veteran leadership". Retaining Iggy and Morrow will keep the room in line.

Aside from Shero being willing to honor Brooks' contract after taking a discount following the 08 Finals, I don't see why he should be on this team next year.

mpp9 is online now  
Old
04-24-2013, 04:14 PM
  #493
WarriorScholar
Registered User
 
WarriorScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Noticed that Murray has been getting the most PK minutes of any defender the last few games. With Bortuzzo, Engelland and Dumoulin pushing for spots next year, do we really need Brooks at 3.75 when Murray can likely be resigned for nearly half the money?

We have no need for Brooks' "veteran leadership". Retaining Iggy and Morrow will keep the room in line.

Aside from Shero being willing to honor Brooks' contract after taking a discount following the 08 Finals, I don't see why he should be on this team next year.
Me neither, but what you said in your last sentence is what most likely will happen. Orpik will finish his time year. I actually do think he could get us a late first round pick, but Shero wouldn't do that. There will be a logjam at d for another season.

WarriorScholar is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 02:21 PM
  #494
DoktorZaius
Registered User
 
DoktorZaius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,231
vCash: 500
Couple things -- I wouldn't be surprised, or sad, to see Eaton back here at a very low number. For what he does at his hit? He's worth his weight in gold. And we all know that a top-heavy team like this needs guys who can get it done at low cap hits.

Also, and this may be a bit out of left field, but what do people think about Gonchar? I'm not someone who would go out and pay big $$$ for him, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the guy really wants to come back to Pittsburgh for a year or 2 at a low number. The reason Shero didn't offer 3 years ago is because we weren't willing to touch 5.5 at his age, but if the number if 1 or 1.2 or less this time around...do we bite?

Again, totally speculative, because for all I know Gonchar will re-sign in Ottawa a week from now.

DoktorZaius is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 02:27 PM
  #495
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist
 
TravisUlrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,860
vCash: 500
FORWARDS
Pascal Dupuis ($2.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.350m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m)
Craig Adams ($0.675m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) / Mark Eaton ($0.725m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)

OTHER
Buyout: Tanner Glass ($0.000m)
Buyout: Brooks Orpik ($0.000m)
Buyout: Steve MacIntyre ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,185,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $114,167

Sadly, no Morrow on this roster. I just think he'll be the odd man out. And it may be for the best. His legs were dead in Dallas. He might turn back to that given an 82-game season.

TravisUlrich is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:38 PM
  #496
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
As good as Morrow has been with the Pens (and he's playing at a level no one should of expected), I have absolutely no problem with him signing somewhere else next year. Feels like the Pens caught lightning in the bottle with him and I just don't feel confident that he can play his current style and be effective over a full-season. Unless he was willing to come back on one-year deal, I'd move on without him with no hesitation.

I'm loving the Morrow experience now, but the prospect of signing him for a couple of years at around 3mil per and him looking like a millstone come December is a bit scary. He's a perfect fit for the current team but there's just too many other priorities to care of that are going to take a lot of term and money to commit much to keeping Morrow. Think the adrenaline of getting traded to a great team during a Cup push won't carry over to next year. I'd like to be wrong but that's where I stand on re-signing Morrow.

Also have a strong feeling that Niskanen is going to be moved come draft time, more so than Orpik. Someone like Dumoulin taking his spot on the roster will be around a 1.5mil gain in cap-space and help recoup some of the lost draft picks.


Last edited by Sivek: 04-28-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Sivek is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 12:17 AM
  #497
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 34,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
As good as Morrow has been with the Pens (and he's playing at a level no one should of expected), I have absolutely no problem with him signing someone else next year. Feels like the Pens caught lightning in the bottle with him and I just don't feel confident that he can play his current style and be effective over a full-season. Unless he was willing to come back on one-year deal, I'd move on without him with no hesitation.

I'm loving the Morrow experience now, but the prospect of signing him for a couple of years at around 3mi per and him looking like a millstone come December is a bit scary. He's a perfect fit for the current team but there's just too many other priorities to care of that are going to take a lot of term and money to commit much to keeping Morrow. Think the adrenaline of getting traded to a great team during a Cup push won't carry over to next year. I'd like to be wrong but that's where I stand on re-signing Morrow.

Also have a strong feeling that Niskanen is going to be moved come draft time, more so than Orpik. Someone like Dumoulin taking his spot on the roster will be around a 1.5mil gain in cap-space and help recoup some of the lost draft picks.
1. Agree about Morrow.

2. I would not be surprised if both Niskanen AND Orpik are moved. I had thought that it would be Martin. Now, I'm thinking maybe the other two, with Shero resigning Eaton on the cheap and going with Letang, Martin, Murray (resign), Despres, Eaton, Engo, and giving kids like Dumoulin a shot and trying to save money for the deadline.

KIRK is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 07:55 AM
  #498
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,124
vCash: 500
I'd sign Morrow because what he does isn't always shown on a statsheet. Now, I wouldn't go crazy with his salary, but I'd feel comfortable with a number in the 3.0-3.25 range on a 1 or 2 year deal.

And I think he looked old in Dallas because of the situation. Being here has taken years off of him. You can tell he's sort of relishing in the fact that he's on a winner, and he's just a player...not the captain.


Last edited by JTG: 04-28-2013 at 08:39 AM.
JTG is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 12:42 PM
  #499
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45,547
vCash: 500
I'm confident Iggy's going to be a big factor in the playoffs, but there's a pretty good argument that Jokinen and Morrow have been better players to this point.

If they keep going like this it could change which signings we prioritize, when you factor money into the equation.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
  #500
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I'm confident Iggy's going to be a big factor in the playoffs, but there's a pretty good argument that Jokinen and Morrow have been better players to this point.

If they keep going like this it could change which signings we prioritize, when you factor money into the equation.
JJ has been a notoriously streaky player and Iggy has been an uncanny model of consistency over his career.

Morrow one could possibly make a case for over Iggy due to dollars, but overall Iggy is the guy who I am most comfortable having over the long term of the three.

Iggy has 11 points in 13 games and still isn't even comfortable in his role yet. Wait until he feels comfortable, like you are saying, and I doubt there will be much debate over who should be the priority this summer.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.