HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2013, 01:12 PM
  #501
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 52,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
JJ has been a notoriously streaky player and Iggy has been an uncanny model of consistency over his career.

Morrow one could possibly make a case for over Iggy due to dollars, but overall Iggy is the guy who I am most comfortable having over the long term of the three.

Iggy has 11 points in 13 games and still isn't even comfortable in his role yet. Wait until he feels comfortable, like you are saying, and I doubt there will be much debate over who should be the priority this summer.
True, but the age/money factor has to be considered, as well as Crosby chemistry. If they don't mesh for whatever reason, where would he slot into the line-up? Do we just assume they would establish it next year and re-sign Iggy if he commands ~5 mil per?

He'll most likely find his groove with Sid. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Warm Cookies is online now  
Old
04-28-2013, 01:35 PM
  #502
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 19,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
True, but the age/money factor has to be considered, as well as Crosby chemistry. If they don't mesh for whatever reason, where would he slot into the line-up? Do we just assume they would establish it next year and re-sign Iggy if he commands ~5 mil per?

He'll most likely find his groove with Sid. I'm just playing devil's advocate.
I think that is something I'd worry about if it comes to pass.

Iggy has had remarkable production over his career, without ever playing with a top notch pivot. I'm fairly certain playing with the best player in the world, the two of them will figure it out.

Iggy is a right handed triggerman who still has an elite shot and top notch goal scoring instincts. Crosby is the best playmaker the league has seen since Lemieux.

If they don't click by the time the playoffs end, I'll be shocked as hell.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 01:41 PM
  #503
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 52,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I think that is something I'd worry about if it comes to pass.

Iggy has had remarkable production over his career, without ever playing with a top notch pivot. I'm fairly certain playing with the best player in the world, the two of them will figure it out.

Iggy is a right handed triggerman who still has an elite shot and top notch goal scoring instincts. Crosby is the best playmaker the league has seen since Lemieux.

If they don't click by the time the playoffs end, I'll be shocked as hell.
Yeah, the track record's the best barometer. Who does and doesn't click with Sid can sometimes baffle, though.

Warm Cookies is online now  
Old
04-28-2013, 01:56 PM
  #504
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 19,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Yeah, the track record's the best barometer. Who does and doesn't click with Sid can sometimes baffle, though.
Crosby has clicked with Guerin, Hossa, Kunitz, and Dupuis.

Really, the only guys with skill he hasn't clicked with was a douchy Recchi when he was younger and a way past his prime Satan.

Crosby even had some nice chemistry with Palffy before he quit on the team. I think Surovy was their third wheel even.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 02:09 PM
  #505
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 52,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Crosby has clicked with Guerin, Hossa, Kunitz, and Dupuis.

Really, the only guys with skill he hasn't clicked with was a douchy Recchi when he was younger and a way past his prime Satan.

Crosby even had some nice chemistry with Palffy before he quit on the team. I think Surovy was their third wheel even.
I dunno. Malone never worked, and Neal hasn't looked great in his limited shots with Sid.

But you're right, Iggy likely will. He's got a more well-rounded skillset than those guys, even if he has lost a step.

Warm Cookies is online now  
Old
04-28-2013, 02:19 PM
  #506
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 41,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I dunno. Malone never worked, and Neal hasn't looked great in his limited shots with Sid.

But you're right, Iggy likely will. He's got a more well-rounded skillset than those guys, even if he has lost a step.
In Sid's defense, Malone worked with absolutely no one. He should thank his lucky stars that he was able to adapt with Malkin (and even that took a fair amount of time), because if he didn't, his ass was very clearly on the block. Hell, people were calling for Malone's head even WHEN he was playing alright with Geno. It was only after a prolonged amount of time where Malone was producing that people then started to feel he was an important member of the team.

I also think Sid's game has shifted since that time. When he first came into the league, there was no pacing going on. It was 120% all the time, and he would go head first into defenses with no help. Malone just couldn't keep up.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 02:22 PM
  #507
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 19,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I dunno. Malone never worked, and Neal hasn't looked great in his limited shots with Sid.

But you're right, Iggy likely will. He's got a more well-rounded skillset than those guys, even if he has lost a step.
Neal was playing lazy hockey when they played together though. If they played together for more than two games I think they would click. Either way not enough of a sample size to draw any conclusions from.

Malone I can't remember with Crosby, but he didn't click with Malkin right away either. He was an inconsistent player, especially back then. He kind of bounced all over the lineup until injuries forced Malone with Malkin.

So it was more of an injury bug that forced them together and eventually they clicked, than some kind of insta-chemistry.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 11:46 PM
  #508
great1
Registered User
 
great1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fergus, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 500
I heard from a Penguins fan tonight that there is talk of Malkin signing an extension at $8.7 cap hit to match Crosby's cap. In reality he would be making a lot less then Sid in actual money.

Is there any truth to that?

great1 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 11:57 PM
  #509
DoktorZaius
Registered User
 
DoktorZaius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by great1 View Post
I heard from a Penguins fan tonight that there is talk of Malkin signing an extension at $8.7 cap hit to match Crosby's cap. In reality he would be making a lot less then Sid in actual money.

Is there any truth to that?
It's possible. I haven't heard that specific rumor any time recently, though. Pre-new-cba I'm sure many thought that. I think a lot of us are expecting more like 9.5-10.5 for 8 years.

DoktorZaius is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 10:46 PM
  #510
Malkinstheman
Registered User
 
Malkinstheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,489
vCash: 500
Jim matheson: It’s unlikely that the Wild will be able to re-sign Cal Clutterbuck because of salary cap reasons.

Would love to sign him. Perhaphs a replacement for cooke. Wouldnt mind paying him cookes slary for 2-3 seasons.

Malkinstheman is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:32 AM
  #511
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Jim matheson: Itís unlikely that the Wild will be able to re-sign Cal Clutterbuck because of salary cap reasons.

Would love to sign him. Perhaphs a replacement for cooke. Wouldnt mind paying him cookes slary for 2-3 seasons.
I suspect he'll command a little more than that on the open market.

LetangInTheSO is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:26 AM
  #512
shureshot66
Global Moderator
 
shureshot66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Iginla this week talking about Pittsburgh, especially with his wife and kids joining him there now for the playoff run:

Quote:
“Just feels like home. And my family's all behind this. My wife, she's excited about the change and the chance to compete for the Stanley Cup, and my girl and two boys ... they don't know too much about the past, but they've played enough video games to know the Penguins are good. They just like seeing us win.”
http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...kovacevic-team

shureshot66 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:38 AM
  #513
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 41,780
vCash: 500
I hope he settles in here. I can't imagine how hard it was when he first got here. Between leaving the only organization you've ever known, leaving your home with your bed and your family, to living in a hotel room, eating room service, and having none of the luxuries you're accustomed to, but then being expected to perform up to your ability.

I couldn't imagine. Hopefully they have found a home here, and the wife and kids are getting settled in so he can have some normalcy again.

JTG is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:49 PM
  #514
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Pascal Dupuis ($2.750m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($3.500m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m)
Matt Cooke ($1.250m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Derrick Pouliot ($1.350m) / Douglas Murray ($1.800m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,960,833; BONUSES: $425,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,764,167

EdwardBlake is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 04:00 PM
  #515
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,609
vCash: 50
those are some massively discounted deals that you've doled out SB. i wouldn't count on it shaking out like that until it actually does shake out like that.

Crafton is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 04:15 PM
  #516
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
those are some massively discounted deals that you've doled out SB. i wouldn't count on it shaking out like that until it actually does shake out like that.
I know, just wishful thinking. I think you can expect at least one or two of them to take a discount within the areas I listed. But not all of them.

EdwardBlake is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:00 AM
  #517
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 47,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Crosby has clicked with Guerin, Hossa, Kunitz, and Dupuis.

Really, the only guys with skill he hasn't clicked with was a douchy Recchi when he was younger and a way past his prime Satan.

Crosby even had some nice chemistry with Palffy before he quit on the team. I think Surovy was their third wheel even.
He hasn't clicked with Neal anytime they've played together. He didn't really click with Malone.

KIRK is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:01 AM
  #518
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 47,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Iginla this week talking about Pittsburgh, especially with his wife and kids joining him there now for the playoff run:



http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...kovacevic-team
Too bad the playoffs don't work like that video game . . .

KIRK is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 12:04 PM
  #519
chethejet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
If the Pens aren't successful in the playoffs losing in the first or second round, the decisions of who to sign and who to jettison are going to be interesting. My guess is the Brass will approach this as a complete review of what the issues are and make the necessary changes. Will certainly be coaching regardless of what Dejan writes. Players who no longer fit a playoff mode in todays NHL are clearly going to be moved. Dupuis will be a priority to sign unless he gets a offer well beyond his value. Iginla will be given an offer that fits the cap. My guess is he ends up elsewhere like the Flyers or Boston or Toronto. Martin has to go and is a indictment of how Shero needs to advance the development of younger talented Dmen. Crosy will be 26 next year and the Pens core is only entering their prime. Malkin will sign. Letang will be for the right price. If he wants to test free agency then by July 1st, they will be part of the future or they will be someone else's future before 2014 roles around.

chethejet is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 08:56 PM
  #520
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 33,896
vCash: 549
July 1st: Mike Smith, 2 years, $2.5 million cap hit

Jacob is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 09:02 PM
  #521
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
I wonder if MAF's contract is even tradable at this point or the team is going to have to amnesty his contract? Not even joking. He has a limited NMC clause and only a terrible team will have worse options than him at their disposable and at that, for less money and without giving up any assets. Hard to believe only two guys on the team make more than Fleury.

Just look at how hard a time the Canucks have had with Luongo and he's much better than MAF, despite having a contract that last for 424 more years.

Sivek is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 09:07 PM
  #522
Malkinstheman
Registered User
 
Malkinstheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
July 1st: Mike Smith, 2 years, $2.5 million cap hit
He actually wants somewhere near 6 million

Malkinstheman is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 09:08 PM
  #523
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Fleury should be tradeable beacuse his contract is only 2 more years (right?). Someone will take a chance on him, and a change of scenery may do him well. It WON'T happen, but that sould be a great place to save a couple mil for next year.

PensFan68 is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:13 AM
  #524
redsono93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Is it possible to trade guys like Fleury, Despres, Orpik for decent draft picks? I feel we need a youth movement and draft guys like Fucale, Domi, Dano. Our Defensive prospects are sick we just need to balance it out with a #1 goalie prospect and hard nosed forward workers in Dano and Domi. Not hitting panic button yet but if we exit early Fleury and DB out the door. Who is a great coach available in offseason? Thanks

redsono93 is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:17 AM
  #525
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy
 
On Vinyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: IAVDBTR
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
Is it possible to trade guys like Fleury, Despres, Orpik for decent draft picks? I feel we need a youth movement and draft guys like Fucale, Domi, Dano. Our Defensive prospects are sick we just need to balance it out with a #1 goalie prospect and hard nosed forward workers in Dano and Domi. Not hitting panic button yet but if we exit early Fleury and DB out the door. Who is a great coach available in offseason? Thanks
????

On Vinyl is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.