HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

IIHF U18 WC Gold Medal game • CAN 3 vs. USA 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 01:52 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
I don't think I'm better. My point the whole time was don't dish it if you can't take it.
Troll on.

04-28-2013, 01:54 PM
OFFSIDE NOT OFFSIDES

vCash: 711
Connor McDavid MVP and just turned 16. That's amazing.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:55 PM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Connor McDavid MVP and just turned 16. That's amazing.
Indeed. Impressive that he could go pointless in the last two games of the tournament (roughly 30% of the tournament) and still finish with a 2.0 PPG average.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:55 PM
nitz

I have to say, it is nice to win a tourney that the Americans have dominated in recent years.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Mr Writer

Interesting that this the first IIHF gold Canada has won since the Chief Scout (my arch enemy) was hired by Canada in 2010. (I exclude the Ivan Hlinka tournament) I'm happy for the gold, but that means Pendergast has bought himself another 3 years on the job. Great for other countries, kinda sucks for us though.

Anyway, great job boyz! Congrats to them and grats to USA... fair to say I think we were just a tad lucky (not much) but a little lucky...but finally our goaltending came through. I'm sure USA will have a burrr up it's *** next year and will be hell bent on kicking the living stink out us.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 04-28-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 02:09 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
This is so ironic coming from you. You gloat about Team USA constantly and bash Team Canada (and their fans) whenever you get the opportunity, not just in the GDTs. Practice what you preach.
I bash the Canadian "superiority" attitude regarding hockey, not Team Canada or the country of Canada itself. Contrary to Canadian belief, you're not the only ones entitled to be good at this sport.

Congratulations on a much-deserved victory in the U-18's.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:11 PM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
I bash the Canadian "superiority" attitude regarding hockey, not Team Canada or the country of Canada itself. Contrary to Canadian belief, you're not the only ones entitled to be good at this sport.

So you bash us because you're upset at our arrogance and your solution is to be arrogant yourself. Just like I did today. Not so nice, is it?

Old
04-28-2013, 02:12 PM
VOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Interesting that this the first IIHF gold Canada has won since the Chief Scout (my arch enemy) was hired by Canada in 2010. (I exclude the Ivan Hlinka tournament) I'm happy for the gold, but that means Pendergast has bought himself another 3 years on the job. Great for other countries, kinda sucks for us though.

Anyway, great job boyz! Congrats to them and grats to USA... fair to say I think we were just a tad lucky (not much) but a little lucky...but finally our goaltending came through. I'm sure USA will have a burrr up it's *** next year and will be hell bent on kicking the living stink out us. C
Canada approached this tournament in a whole new way. They would previously gather 20 or so players, load them up on a plane, play an exhibition game, have a couple of practices and then start the tourney. Canada had some very talented players in years past but they never gelled as a team due to lack of preparation. I think the sting of not getting a medal at the last U-20 tourney caused a total rethink in how to do things. This year they bring in a top flight coach, hold a training camp session, practice for a full week, board a plane, practice some more, play 2 exhibition games and the result ends up being a gold medal.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:16 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
So you bash us because you're upset at our arrogance and your solution is to be arrogant yourself. Just like I did today. Not so nice, is it?
Unlike others, I don't see a problem with stooping to another's level. The saying "fight fire with fire" isn't followed by an asterisk saying, "Unless you have to sink to a lower level to do so."

Again, congratulations on a well-deserved victory in this tournament. And I mean that, I'm not being sarcastic.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB View Post
Canada approached this tournament in a whole new way. They would previously gather 20 or so players, load them up on a plane, play an exhibition game, have a couple of practices and then start the tourney. Canada had some very talented players in years past but they never gelled as a team due to lack of preparation. I think the sting of not getting a medal at the last U-20 tourney caused a total rethink in how to do things. This year they bring in a top flight coach, hold a training camp session, practice for a full week, board a plane, practice some more, play 2 exhibition games and the result ends up being a gold medal.
Actually this is the 2nd year in a row of Hockey Canada's rethink on the U18 tournament. Before 2012 they would select players once the CHL season was done, no players eliminated in the 1st rd. of the playoffs were added. Last year, 2012 was HC's first year of making late additions, and we were helped by a very deep 1995 class. I've been saying for a few years now that 1995 born players are deeper and more talented than the infamous 1985 birth year. And of course aided by the artistry of one very special 1997 born player. ))) love the kid.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:18 PM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
Unlike others, I don't see a problem with stooping to another's level. The saying "fight fire with fire" isn't followed by an asterisk saying, "Unless you have to sink to a lower level to do so."

Again, congratulations on a well-deserved victory in this tournament.
You do have a problem with it though, or else you wouldn't have taken offence to my jab and told me to "be humble". I'll take your congratulations, though I suspect deep down you don't really mean it.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:51 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Incredible how the team came together and improved every game. Even in the second as the US just dominated early on, Desrosier's confidence through his saves and puck moving were apparent, a very confident player and that confidence echoed to his teammates as the second wore on. What a memory this will be for the players, many will represent the country many more times but for some it might be their only memory and what a one to have, to win Gold in an Olympic city just before the upcoming games! What a way to set the tone! Congrats to those kids, we might not see a team at this tournament for Canada as strong as this for a long time, it was amazing to watch! And sheesh the anthem was so off note, but it was still as beautiful haha! Congrats Boys!

Old
04-28-2013, 02:52 PM
alcoraces

Quote:

Compared to the USA's superiority complex towards everything else.....it's funny hearing American's complain about this at the "hockey" level...

Anyhow, right now the USA has the best youth developmental program on the planet and this has not gone unnoticed by Hockey Canada and we are working hard to learn from them. We were arrogant about it in the past and it did not serve us well in the late 90's.

Great win today, even if we were the second best team on the ice. We scored more goals and that's all that matters in the end.

That penalty call at the end was atrocious at best too! Not a hook to begin with and if that gets called at that point of the game then it is very obvious that official decided to make a difference. I'm just glad he didn't when all was over with.

Well done Canada!!

Old
04-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Macman

Quote:
Why don't you ****.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:12 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

All good things must come to an end. Congrats Canada!

McDavid is going to be a really special player. Really excited to watch this kid's development!

Old
04-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Macman

I felt bad for those U.S. kids in tears. You realize they're just oversized children when you see that.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:17 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
There are tons of Americans who like to use their dominance of the U18 as evidence of USA overtaking Canada in the game of hockey, so I'll get my pound of flesh now. Don't dish if you can't take.
Lol, I don't think I've heard any Americans claim that, and if they did they're definitely wrong. I think most of us know that we send a team that has played together for two years and learned to develop chemistry and camaraderie that gives us an edge in this tournament while Canada has a more limited selection of CHL All Stars on teams that aren't still in the Playoffs, most of whom have never played together. It certainly says a lot about how far NDTP and USA Hockey have come to dominate this tournament in recent years but the NHL Draft is the best indicator of where most of the best hockey development is coming from and anyone can see that is plainly Canada.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:23 PM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Why don't you ****.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:24 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

lol, some people get really riled up about a tournament of 17 year olds.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:28 PM
OFFSIDE NOT OFFSIDES

vCash: 711
Canada has dominated the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, the US the under 18. Canada doesn't have their best at the under 18, the US doesn't at the Ivan Hlinka. I'd love to see the Ivan Hlinka tournament scrapped and a yearly 5 or 7 game series between the best of Canada and the US. The Ivan Hlinka isn't even an official IIHF tournament, so no big deal scrapping it.

Bragging rights to who is the best belongs to the yearly winner.

Yes I know the Americans would still have a slight edge in that their team plays in the USHL BUT who cares, winner is best, loser sucks it up till the next year.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:45 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Congrats to Canada. They've always sent a lot of talent to this tournament and obviously this team brought the chemistry to match it. McDavid made history here and it'll be amazing to see what he accomplishes going forward.

Disappointing showing for the US but I'll give them a lot of credit for rallying from a poor round robin to make it all the way to the gold medal game. The NTDP has been a great success at this tournament but US hockey is not at a point where we can expect gold here every year regardless of the chemistry advantage.
Both Canada and the USA have players at home that could may bolster their chances of winning ,but it's who shows up at the dance that counts.
Both teams gave it their all.
Today it was Canada's turn.
Very entertaining game.it is tough to take the u18
Crown away from the Americans
Well done everyone.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow

vCash: 50
Very savvy and composed 3rd period by the Canadians. Impressive for a young group.

US did a great job winning 1-on-1s, controlling boards deep, and cycling, but didn't do a good enough job generating quality scoring chances for all of that.

Also nice that the officials didn't try and impact the game .... well... at least until that last call

Old
04-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Nordic*

Where was Sweden?

Old
04-28-2013, 05:02 PM
time

Double-Edged Sword

I think the US Development program has been a double-edged sword. They produce a greater depth of NHL talent, and the Americans consistently play a lethal forecheck game, no matter what the tournament. So, they have done very well on the international stage and will continue to do so.

But they also seem to be suppressing individual skill and creativity, as did Canada and Sweden at different times in the last 20 years. For all the US success of late, they produce very little superstar talent.

Seth Jones is a stud, but he's the first such American prospect since Patrick Kane. Canada, Sweden and Russia produce top-five prospects almost every year.

I'm old enough to remember the '96 World Cup, and Canada didn't lose because they had a bad tournament -- they lost because they couldn't match the sheer talent of Hull, Modano, Lafontaine, Leetch, Richter, Leclair, Chelios, Housley, Hatcher and probably a couple more I forget. That was the one time I really feared that the US had eclipsed the hockey world.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:06 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Lol, I've been trying to figure out what the blocked 4 letter word could possibly stand for in that sentence but I've been coming up blank.

Good game US, I thought you were going to win it for sure. Can't wait until next years rematch!

Closed Thread