HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 11:37 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why are you so uninterested in Shinkaruk?
A couple of things about Shinkaruk. From his 2011 - 2012 season to his 2012 - 2013 season, not only was there a drop off in production, there was also a drop off in his plus/minus by 30 points. I know some view plus/minus as a meaningless stat, but when your plus/minus drops by 30 points in your draft season, that should set off some alarms that something is not right.

Second reason as to why I dislike Shinkaruk is that he's a rat on the ice. He's a rat that doesn't back up his play. He plays tough, but the moment he needs to answer for his actions, he turtles and runs away. The Flyers already have that type of player in Cousins. I'm just not interested in someone who will start crap and then skate away and have a teammate clean up his mess.

Third, he was expected to step up his game once Etem was gone and I don't think he did. Shinkaruk has the ability to make others around him better players and I didn't see that from him this year.

There's no doubt that there's skill there. He's got fantastic wheels and he's got a great shot. It's the rest of his overall game that I'm not enamored with at all. That's my own views on Shinkaruk.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Haute Couturier

Honestly I kinda hope it is a forward only because I see them rushing a D into the league and it won't be long until he is ran out of town. Everyone says they want defense, but few fans have the patience to develop one properly.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Honestly I kinda hope it is a forward only because I see them rushing a D into the league and it won't be long until he is ran out of town. Everyone says they want defense, but few fans have the patience to develop one properly.
I agree, from what I've read though, I think Risto is NHL ready... and by that I mean he could step into limited minutes on the 3rd pairing and see how he does.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
I agree, from what I've read though, I think Risto is NHL ready... and by that I mean he could step into limited minutes on the 3rd pairing and see how he does.
I think he could, too, but to me that is a poor decision. Why waste a year of his ELC to have him play limited minutes when he could be playing top minutes in the SM-Liiga?

Even if by some miracle the Flyers land Jones I would rather see him sent back to juniors. I think patience pays off in the long run. Look at how Nashville develops their D.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:52 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd say wait another year to bring in Rist if we get him. Let him play another year overseas and then bring him over.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:56 AM
JayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Now when we know that our pick will most likely be #11, who are your top 3 defenders and forwards you would want them to draft? Some insights or NHL comparisons of them would be much appreciated, too.
Defender:
Zadorov
Ristolainen
Somebody from Sweden

Offensive:
Mantha
Domi
Erne
Hartman
Rychel
Nichushkin

If Nichushkin and Zadorov drops after our pick , it would be some if we trade for another pick after us to pick both Russians.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:05 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd say wait another year to bring in Rist if we get him. Let him play another year overseas and then bring him over.
If we got Rist, I'd really want him to enjoy some time with Timonen.

If he's ready when drafted, I'd say it really can't hurt giving him a year to learn with Timonen.

He plays a fluid two-way game, and even if he's bigger/meaner, he could learn a lot from the Finnish God of Defense.

If he's not ready, then that's fine. Send him back. However, if he's even on the cusp of being ready, I'd be willing to risk it.

If this really is Timonen's last year, then we can't make light of that kind of developmental opportunity if available.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If we got Rist, I'd really want him to enjoy some time with Timonen.

If he's ready when drafted, I'd say it really can't hurt giving him a year to learn with Timonen.

He plays a fluid two-way game, and even if he's bigger/meaner, he could learn a lot from the Finnish God of Defense.

If he's not ready, then that's fine. Send him back. However, if he's even on the cusp of being ready, I'd be willing to risk it.

If this really is Timonen's last year, then we can't make light of that kind of developmental opportunity if available.
I think part of a reason why Timonen is so good is he had 6 years of pro hockey under his belt before being thrown into the fire. Let the kid dominate over there before we rush him into the NHL.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I think part of a reason why Timonen is so good is he had 6 years of pro hockey under his belt before being thrown into the fire. Let the kid dominate over there before we rush him into the NHL.
There is no way we're going to let someone like Rist stay out of the NHL (in other pro leagues) for 6 years though...

Old
04-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
There is no way we're going to let someone like Rist stay out of the NHL (in other pro leagues) for 6 years though...
Did I say he should be there for 6 years? Leave him for two more years. He will then have 4 years of pro experience and should be pretty polished and ready for a top 4 role when he comes over. That is preferable than sticking him on the 3rd pairing IMO.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:21 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
A couple of things about Shinkaruk. From his 2011 - 2012 season to his 2012 - 2013 season, not only was there a drop off in production, there was also a drop off in his plus/minus by 30 points. I know some view plus/minus as a meaningless stat, but when your plus/minus drops by 30 points in your draft season, that should set off some alarms that something is not right.

Second reason as to why I dislike Shinkaruk is that he's a rat on the ice. He's a rat that doesn't back up his play. He plays tough, but the moment he needs to answer for his actions, he turtles and runs away. The Flyers already have that type of player in Cousins. I'm just not interested in someone who will start crap and then skate away and have a teammate clean up his mess.

Third, he was expected to step up his game once Etem was gone and I don't think he did. Shinkaruk has the ability to make others around him better players and I didn't see that from him this year.

There's no doubt that there's skill there. He's got fantastic wheels and he's got a great shot. It's the rest of his overall game that I'm not enamored with at all. That's my own views on Shinkaruk.
If anything, he sounds like a born Penguin.

Thank you for the scouting report. Considering I have never actually watched him play I never would have guessed that Shinkaruk played like that.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Did I say he should be there for 6 years? Leave him for two more years. He will then have 4 years of pro experience and should be pretty polished and ready for a top 4 role when he comes over. That is preferable than sticking him on the 3rd pairing IMO.
If we get Risto, I'd rather just bring him up and let him learn from Kimmo.

Look how Luke Schenn has developed after learning from Pronger, who isn't even on the ice.

I think Risto would learn more from Kimmo than leaving him where he is now for a year or 2.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
If we get Risto, I'd rather just bring him up and let him learn from Kimmo.

Look how Luke Schenn has developed after learning from Pronger, who isn't even on the ice.

I think Risto would learn more from Kimmo than leaving him where he is now for a year or 2.
Keep in mind Luke Schenn is now on his second team after being rushed into the league. Even Prongs took until he was on his second team to completely put it together.Do we really want to rush a player at a position that takes longer to develop into the league? Well all know he will get the treatment Luke Schenn received in Toronto if he struggles like every other young defender.

Last edited by Haute Couturier: 04-28-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 01:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
I'm obviously all about development, but one thing about drafting a defenseman in Round 1 is the likelihood that he would present an immediate upgrade to the roster at age 18. Flyers love to fast-track their high draft picks.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'm obviously all about development, but one thing about drafting a defenseman in Round 1 is the likelihood that he would present an immediate upgrade to the roster at age 18. Flyers love to fast-track their high draft picks.
Another reason I suspect we may use our 11th on a forward and go for a defenseman in the 2nd round.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Serious question, is there anything to all this "Risto can learn from Timonen" stuff? I mean guys from other countries come over here all the time without having linemates or defensive partners from their country and do fine. And I'm sure guys struggle even with a guy from their country around. If its me, I only pull for Risto to play next year if he is ready for it. I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that Timonen would be on the team. It may help a little in terms of adjusting to America, but I don't think I would rush him just to play with Timonen.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:00 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Serious question, is there anything to all this "Risto can learn from Timonen" stuff? I mean guys from other countries come over here all the time without having linemates or defensive partners from their country and do fine. And I'm sure guys struggle even with a guy from their country around. If its me, I only pull for Risto to play next year if he is ready for it. I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that Timonen would be on the team. It may help a little in terms of adjusting to America, but I don't think I would rush him just to play with Timonen.
I think there's a lot to this Ristolainen learning from Timonen thing.

Pronger on Schenn.
Jagr on Voracek.

I think there's a lot to a younger player who looked up to a guy listening and hanging on every word to get better. I think Timonen would be a fairly obvious and solid role model for a guy like Ristolainen moving into the NHL.

That said, it would be helpful. That doesn't mean it's necessary.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Another reason I suspect we may use our 11th on a forward and go for a defenseman in the 2nd round.
Well, they won't do that just because. If a defenseman is BPA at 11, then they're going to take whoever that is.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:01 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Well, they won't do that just because. If a defenseman is BPA at 11, then they're going to take whoever that is.
Yeah, but it's just another reason they won't hesitate to pick a forward.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I know you should do BPA, but I'm still tired of centers. We have so ****ing many...

Old
04-28-2013, 02:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I know you should do BPA, but I'm still tired of centers. We have so ****ing many...
I want to see the reaction on this board if we reach for Domi.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I thought he was a winger?

Old
04-28-2013, 02:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I thought he was a winger?
Center or wing.

Honestly, I might not be opposed to Domi, but the reaction would be funny here.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Well, he is a small guy, but knows how to score and is very shifty. Briere-esque?

Old
04-28-2013, 02:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I rather have his teammate Bo Horvat over him.

Closed Thread