HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Scorekeeper's taking/shaving time off clock in beer league

Old
04-27-2013, 06:56 PM
DustersAnonymous
Let the Larsson Play

vCash: 500
Scorekeeper's taking/shaving time off clock in beer league

Does anyone else have this happen? Is it common practice, or should I rightfully be feeling cheated?
Its a little known fact throughout the beer league I play at that if and when games are running behind schedule, the scorekeeper is going to shave time off the clock during the games to catch up. I know this because I know personally a few of the score keepers and witness them doing it. One game I decided to run a timer on my iPhone on the bench and found out over 7 minutes had been taken off the clock. Am I alone on this one?

DustersAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:47 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
They shouldn't be doing that, but are you sure it's not just a case of you expecting stop time when the league uses running time?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Ozz

7 minutes!? A few seconds here and there, sure, but I'd be complaining about 7 minutes when no mercy rule is invoked.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:22 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Down here they run the clock when there are fights/big scrums; which I believe to be fair... because what the hell do we have to fight about?

SeenSchenn2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:01 AM
DustersAnonymous
Let the Larsson Play

No it's most definitely shaved time.. For example, if watching the scoreboard you'll notice the time go from 19:00 to 17:59. I used to think it was just a few seconds here and there until I started paying closer attention. And it is running time which is why I set my phone to a running timer that ran concurrent with the clock. The only thing that would throw off time in theory would be penalties (we stop clock after a penalty and resume running clock after puck drops) however none were called that game. (Another issue entirely lol)

DustersAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:06 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Than that's bad, and you should talk to the manager of the rink about it, or at the very least, the hockey director. Completely inappropriate.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Frankie Spankie

Yeah, it's not your league's fault the rink is behind schedule... I'd start with whoever runs your league. Frankly, in losing 7 minutes a game, that's 3-4 shifts (~2 that you would be seeing) that you're missing out on... I wouldn't go to the person running the rink since it's to their benefit that you're time is shorter, he's not going to do anything about it.

Frankly, if the guy running the league doesn't care, start telling people in the league. You may even want to threaten leaving depending on how many other leagues are open to you in your area. Do you really want to stick around and be pissed at terrible management when you're paying for it?

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:51 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Here is you have less than 5 mins left in your ice time policy is to drop the clock to 2 mins at the next whistle applies through I think every league (using the city's rinks) to make sure all games start on time. This has been pretty rare 28 games this season and I've only seen it once.

Only time they shave is in the last minute if the game is out of reach running time at 1 min with a 3 goal lead or if a team scores an empty net goal with less than 20-30 seconds.

If you're seeing it (in the 1st or 2nd period especially) bring it up to the ref during the stoppage and they can make sure time is added back to the clock (might just be a mistake). If it happens in multiple games let the league know and they can find out who was running the clock at those games.

SaintAnton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's ridiculous, and I would talk to whoever runs the league. You paid for your ice time.

I can understand dropping pucks quicker and maybe letting some icings go, but running the clock isn't cool.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:08 PM
smitty10

It happens in ASHL (Toronto area) all the time. The refs and timekeepers are completely useless. I complained to a ref about this and said that we pay $450 to play and they constantly wave off icings, purposely allow offsides and have the timekeepers shave time off the clock. The ref replied that 'that's not a lot to pay' and that we 'should suck it up'.

I've complained to the convener too and he's done nothing. Beer league officials are terrible. They just want their money so they can get home.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:28 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
It happens in ASHL (Toronto area) all the time. The refs and timekeepers are completely useless. I complained to a ref about this and said that we pay $450 to play and they constantly wave off icings, purposely allow offsides and have the timekeepers shave time off the clock. The ref replied that 'that's not a lot to pay' and that we 'should suck it up'.

I've complained to the convener too and he's done nothing. Beer league officials are terrible. They just want their money so they can get home.
I've never heard of timekeepers intentionally shaving time off the clock in ashl.. That's a no no. But refs letting the play go is common ground in all leagues and makes sense. I've heard on here how some leagues in other regions kick teams off the ice if they go over their time which isn't cool at all IMO. Trying to catch up if you fall behind is the alternative. As for refs some are good some are bad... They really don't get paid enough to put up with the stuff they have to though which ends up ruining it for everyone

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:44 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
When I played hockey, if a non-important game was going to run into the next games ice time, they would run the time during breaks in the third. This only happened a couple times in a season though.

If they're taking time away due your ice time cutting into another's, then I get what they're doing. They want those who paid for the ice the next hour or whatever it is, get the ice for a reasonable amount o f time. However, if they continuously do this, something is wrong. Seven minutes sounds like a lot too. The few times my games got "Curfewed", there would be only 20 seconds to at most a minute left in the game.

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:06 PM
7toZulu

I'm a scorekeeper for a beer league. Maybe our rink is an anomaly, but i never shave time/let the clock run if its supposed to be stop time. We just end up getting behind often, so the next games are pushed back. Seems to work out alright for us.

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojacketsgo61 View Post
When I played hockey, if a non-important game was going to run into the next games ice time, they would run the time during breaks in the third. This only happened a couple times in a season though.

If they're taking time away due your ice time cutting into another's, then I get what they're doing. They want those who paid for the ice the next hour or whatever it is, get the ice for a reasonable amount o f time. However, if they continuously do this, something is wrong. Seven minutes sounds like a lot too. The few times my games got "Curfewed", there would be only 20 seconds to at most a minute left in the game.
How exactly would it be fair though? Shaving off time so the next slot can get a reasonable time? Why does it have to be the OP's time that gets screwed when the next slot gets the full hour? The only one to blame when it comes to ice time getting backed up is the ones running the rink, be it the zamboni drivers or the guy managing the slots. Everybody should get the full time that they paid for.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Ozz

When our leagues get behind, that's the way it remains until the end of the day. Unless there's a mercy or a team doesn't show up or whatever else, but generally everyone just goes on late and nobody ever cares.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:55 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
How exactly would it be fair though? Shaving off time so the next slot can get a reasonable time? Why does it have to be the OP's time that gets screwed when the next slot gets the full hour? The only one to blame when it comes to ice time getting backed up is the ones running the rink, be it the zamboni drivers or the guy managing the slots. Everybody should get the full time that they paid for.
It's not the rinks fault a game takes longer to finish than the scheduled 50 minutes. Most leagues at least around the GTA are stop time so if you get an injury, a lot of penalties or even just a sloppy game with lots of stoppages you end up behind. There are only a few options the rink can do... just kick teams off at the 50 minute mark which is ridiculous imo but apparently happens in other areas pretty often, run the clock which makes sense to some degree or try to catch up naturally by letting the play go. I've actually never heard of this "shaving the clock" where the time keeper is manually taking time off as the game is going on.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:59 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
When our leagues get behind, that's the way it remains until the end of the day. Unless there's a mercy or a team doesn't show up or whatever else, but generally everyone just goes on late and nobody ever cares.
My rink does that too, if you're behind then you're behind. Everyone working realizes they're behind though and tries to catch it up a bit... for example the refs will let a 30/40+ division game play (not calling icings, penalties etc.) to try and help catch it up a bit. Nothing you can do if it's drastically behind though.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:47 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
It's not the rinks fault a game takes longer to finish than the scheduled 50 minutes. Most leagues at least around the GTA are stop time so if you get an injury, a lot of penalties or even just a sloppy game with lots of stoppages you end up behind. There are only a few options the rink can do... just kick teams off at the 50 minute mark which is ridiculous imo but apparently happens in other areas pretty often, run the clock which makes sense to some degree or try to catch up naturally by letting the play go. I've actually never heard of this "shaving the clock" where the time keeper is manually taking time off as the game is going on.
Wait, in that area, games are only 50 minutes to boot? Yeah, you should be should be sending invoices to the office for the percentage of ice time you paid for but didn't get. Where I've played, they've always blocked out 1.5 hours for each game- 15 minutes for the Zamboni, and then time for warmup and 3 20 minute periods, as well as a little cushion for games going into overtime and whatnot. If games are running late, they run late, and nobody has a problem with it. If things run really late, players usually grab a beer from the cooler and watch the previous game. Refs don't start ignoring the rules just go get things running faster, they continue to call a fair game.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Green Blob*

Happens all the time in my league cause the stupid scorekeeper just wants to go home faster.

7 minutes is a lot though. We probably get ripped off like 3-4 minutes.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:37 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
They usually do it so it gets ice times back on schedule (At the current users expense). It`s not a good thing but I understand what they`re doing. Obviously it can be easily remedied by having decent time scheduling with refs/timekeepers.

However, this really should only happen once in a while.

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:54 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
Wait, in that area, games are only 50 minutes to boot? Yeah, you should be should be sending invoices to the office for the percentage of ice time you paid for but didn't get. Where I've played, they've always blocked out 1.5 hours for each game- 15 minutes for the Zamboni, and then time for warmup and 3 20 minute periods, as well as a little cushion for games going into overtime and whatnot. If games are running late, they run late, and nobody has a problem with it. If things run really late, players usually grab a beer from the cooler and watch the previous game. Refs don't start ignoring the rules just go get things running faster, they continue to call a fair game.
Well if you rent ice you rent the hour but only get 50 minutes because of the flood. For the actual games it's not 50 minutes... but it's not much more including the flood and 3 minute warmups.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:46 AM
boo10

Common practice at Canlan facilities. Scorekeeper will consistently shave 1-4 seconds off the clock at every whistle.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Usually if games are running long, there's a real short warmup.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:04 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

they usually run the clock if the teams agree to do so.

usually this happens when one team is beating the other 10-0 lol

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:32 PM
OpenIceHit42

A couple of years ago when I was playing in a roller league with some buddies one of the officials was notorious for doing it. He'd do it quickly as soon as someone scored or a penalty went up on the board. I reffed a few games with him as well and I noticed it then too. It's not right. I scorekeep games as well and as boring as some could be we all pay the same amount so why even think about cheating someone?

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote