HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End of Season Exit Interviews

Old
04-28-2013, 04:27 PM
McCupofOil
Save Us McJesus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Judging by the comments of Horcoff and Smyth. I'd say that the delusions of grandeur some of the players on this roster have are equally, if not more-so, frightening than the aforementioned culture.
If it was up to me, every single veteran would be out the door, every single one but i just find it funny that there is a long line of disgruntled veteran players for the good part of the last decade who left here unhappy with the organization then the new wave of veterans comes in and it's the same old, recycled story. A lot of these players go on to have great careers elsewhere as if they were reborn enjoying playing hockey again so obviously, it gets to the point when it's not on the players anymore and it becomes an organizational thing which starts at the top.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Nice job on the idea and the quotes you provided Soli.

Thank you very much.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Honestly, I'm not happy with Whitney's comments.

I know what do you expect about a guy being frustrated, but take your lumps. Youre a professional ****ing athlete.

I hope his new team doesn't scratch him too much.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

I understand Whitney's frustration, and in many some respects he's right, others could have been scratched. But he wasn't good enough this year, it was a rotating cast of defensemen that couldn't get the job done, and Whitney was a major part of that.

Ugly quotes by the "captain" Horcoff and Smyth though. I said it last year, I'll say it again this year, and I dread that I'll be saying the exact same thing again next year - The Edmonton Oilers will not obtain any consistent success as long as those two players continue to be a part of the organization. No playoffs, no improvement, no grit, no leadership, they simply can't contribute at the NHL level anymore.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I understand Whitney's frustration, and in many some respects he's right, others could have been scratched. But he wasn't good enough this year, it was a rotating cast of defensemen that couldn't get the job done, and Whitney was a major part of that.

Ugly quotes by the "captain" Horcoff and Smyth though. I said it last year, I'll say it again this year, and I dread that I'll be saying the exact same thing again next year - The Edmonton Oilers will not obtain any consistent success as long as those two players continue to be a part of the organization. No playoffs, no improvement, no grit, no leadership, they simply can't contribute at the NHL level anymore.
I agree with you about Whitney and Smyth but not on Horcoff. He is one of the few vets that actually puts in an effort and can play as a 3rd line player. You don't have to look further than Yakupov to find his leadership, who raves about how Horcoff helped him with his game. Now, if there is a clear upgrade to be found then moving him out can be considered, but the Oilers' depth at center is non-existent.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Del McPreston
1,000 Brown M&Ms

vCash: 50
So did Belanger just not speak or was he not even there?

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:58 PM
chrisj

I'm confused - I don't see what was so wrong with what Horcoff said? I think some people just have such a hate for the guy that they will use anything to take a shot at him.

He basically said it times for the team to take the next step. Does anyone disagree? While some players did this year - as a team, they certainly did not.

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
I agree with you about Whitney and Smyth but not on Horcoff. He is one of the few vets that actually puts in an effort and can play as a 3rd line player. You don't have to look further than Yakupov to find his leadership, who raves about how Horcoff helped him with his game. Now, if there is a clear upgrade to be found then moving him out can be considered, but the Oilers' depth at center is non-existent.
We'll have to agree to disagree about Horcoff then.

His on-ice play this year was horrible outside of the short 5 game stretch after he returned from injury. Non-factor offensively, poor defensively, doesn't stand up for his teammates, and he is now almost as slow as Smyth.

He's a big part of the problem with why the bottom 6 on this team is as ineffective and apathetic as it is, and shining example of why you don't have to give a **** in Edmonton - because the team will keep playing you no matter what.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I'm confused - I don't see what was so wrong with what Horcoff said? I think some people just have such a hate for the guy that they will use anything to take a shot at him.

He basically said it times for the team to take the next step. Does anyone disagree? While some players did this year - as a team, they certainly did not.
Because he makes 5.5 Million dollars. That's why it's so wrong with what he said.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Suxnet

Whitney's a ****ing loser. So glad that entitled idiot will be gone. Horcoff and Smyth can follow him out too.

Suxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:07 PM
NewBoysClub97*
All-Star

LOL what a joke Whitney is. Brutal comments. I actually like the guy, but that is just pathetic.

NewBoysClub97* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:14 PM
McPuritania
Fire Woodcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
So did Belanger just not speak or was he not even there?
He slunk away like the worm he is.

As far as Whitney goes, I think people are being a little too critical. He didn't say anything really that bad, just venting a little I guess. Not a big deal imo.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:27 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Whitney just has a lot of pride, and he's going to be even more disappointed next year. Unless he finds a miracle cure for his feet/ankles, he's pretty much done.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:31 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I've said in another GDT that getting rid of Hemsky, Smyth and Horcoff would rid us of what has been the epitome of the current Oiler culture - **** poor performance and zero apathy. Complete indifference to the game.
Zero apathy would be caring to the highest degree...

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Probably should have said this on his exit interview...another resentful ex oiler sent away.
Ralph said he will do exit interviews regardless of whether or not a player will be returning. Said he will do it later in May.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:48 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Zero apathy would be caring to the highest degree...
My bad hahaha I should have said zero care haha

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Honestly, I'm not happy with Whitney's comments.

I know what do you expect about a guy being frustrated, but take your lumps. Youre a professional ****ing athlete.

I hope his new team doesn't scratch him too much.
Did you watch the video? He was very critical of himself too. We want guys to be honest. He was honest. There was nothing unprofessional there IMHO.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Lowe in Oil

vCash: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
One would think that if MacT was going to axe Krueger, we'd know before the draft. Hell, before the week is up even.

Krueger is speaking now.
Maybe replaced by Lindy Ruff?

One can dream...

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:57 PM
nabob
:]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Did you watch the video? He was very critical of himself too. We want guys to be honest. He was honest. There was nothing unprofessional there IMHO.
exactly the media was just trying to paint him in a bad light by selectively quoting him on twitter. Get the fans mad at a guy who already has one foot out the door a deflect criticism from the other vet s who failed the team this year.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Quinteoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post

One can dream...
I bet MacT "sets the table" this summer. And if the team is struggling at the 25-30 game mark. Ralph is fired and Brent Sutter is brought in. A tough no-non sense systems guy.

Quinteoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post

One can dream...
I thought I heard he is close to signing in Colorado, or is that just speculation?

Old
04-28-2013, 06:10 PM
HallnEbs

It's been said a few times but if you haven't listened to the Whitney audio and are here slamming him, make sure you hear it at least. No where near as poisonous as it was made to sound on Twitter.

HallnEbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:13 PM
McOilers4cup
Finally

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
I thought I heard he is close to signing in Colorado, or is that just speculation?
Maybe Patrick Roy

McOilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Maybe Patrick Roy
Perhaps. I have not heard anything but he would likely be on the speculation list too.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Hiphopopotamus

vCash: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
exactly the media was just trying to paint him in a bad light by selectively quoting him on twitter. Get the fans mad at a guy who already has one foot out the door a deflect criticism from the other vet s who failed the team this year.
Whit is very blunt and honest. But he should have swallowed some pride and walked away with a little more class. If he's pissed he was a healthy scratch he needs to look in the mirror and not look at the injustice of it. I have no doubt what picture the Oilers yes men are trying to paint. But I still have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy that gets paid what Whitney does and has hard feelings because he lost his job to the AHL calibre dman (Potter).

Hiphopopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote