HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End of Season Exit Interviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2013, 04:27 PM
  #101
McCupofOil
Save Us McJesus
 
McCupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: United States
Posts: 19,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Judging by the comments of Horcoff and Smyth. I'd say that the delusions of grandeur some of the players on this roster have are equally, if not more-so, frightening than the aforementioned culture.
If it was up to me, every single veteran would be out the door, every single one but i just find it funny that there is a long line of disgruntled veteran players for the good part of the last decade who left here unhappy with the organization then the new wave of veterans comes in and it's the same old, recycled story. A lot of these players go on to have great careers elsewhere as if they were reborn enjoying playing hockey again so obviously, it gets to the point when it's not on the players anymore and it becomes an organizational thing which starts at the top.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:28 PM
  #102
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,092
vCash: 99
Nice job on the idea and the quotes you provided Soli.

Thank you very much.


Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:39 PM
  #103
Tad McMikowsky
Retired
 
Tad McMikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,581
vCash: 500
Honestly, I'm not happy with Whitney's comments.

I know what do you expect about a guy being frustrated, but take your lumps. Youre a professional ****ing athlete.

I hope his new team doesn't scratch him too much.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:42 PM
  #104
Tarus
FireChia#
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,785
vCash: 500
I understand Whitney's frustration, and in many some respects he's right, others could have been scratched. But he wasn't good enough this year, it was a rotating cast of defensemen that couldn't get the job done, and Whitney was a major part of that.

Ugly quotes by the "captain" Horcoff and Smyth though. I said it last year, I'll say it again this year, and I dread that I'll be saying the exact same thing again next year - The Edmonton Oilers will not obtain any consistent success as long as those two players continue to be a part of the organization. No playoffs, no improvement, no grit, no leadership, they simply can't contribute at the NHL level anymore.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:49 PM
  #105
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I understand Whitney's frustration, and in many some respects he's right, others could have been scratched. But he wasn't good enough this year, it was a rotating cast of defensemen that couldn't get the job done, and Whitney was a major part of that.

Ugly quotes by the "captain" Horcoff and Smyth though. I said it last year, I'll say it again this year, and I dread that I'll be saying the exact same thing again next year - The Edmonton Oilers will not obtain any consistent success as long as those two players continue to be a part of the organization. No playoffs, no improvement, no grit, no leadership, they simply can't contribute at the NHL level anymore.
I agree with you about Whitney and Smyth but not on Horcoff. He is one of the few vets that actually puts in an effort and can play as a 3rd line player. You don't have to look further than Yakupov to find his leadership, who raves about how Horcoff helped him with his game. Now, if there is a clear upgrade to be found then moving him out can be considered, but the Oilers' depth at center is non-existent.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:53 PM
  #106
Del McPreston
1,000 Brown M&Ms
 
Del McPreston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,247
vCash: 50
So did Belanger just not speak or was he not even there?

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:58 PM
  #107
chrisj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
I'm confused - I don't see what was so wrong with what Horcoff said? I think some people just have such a hate for the guy that they will use anything to take a shot at him.

He basically said it times for the team to take the next step. Does anyone disagree? While some players did this year - as a team, they certainly did not.

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:00 PM
  #108
Tarus
FireChia#
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
I agree with you about Whitney and Smyth but not on Horcoff. He is one of the few vets that actually puts in an effort and can play as a 3rd line player. You don't have to look further than Yakupov to find his leadership, who raves about how Horcoff helped him with his game. Now, if there is a clear upgrade to be found then moving him out can be considered, but the Oilers' depth at center is non-existent.
We'll have to agree to disagree about Horcoff then.

His on-ice play this year was horrible outside of the short 5 game stretch after he returned from injury. Non-factor offensively, poor defensively, doesn't stand up for his teammates, and he is now almost as slow as Smyth.

He's a big part of the problem with why the bottom 6 on this team is as ineffective and apathetic as it is, and shining example of why you don't have to give a **** in Edmonton - because the team will keep playing you no matter what.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:01 PM
  #109
Tad McMikowsky
Retired
 
Tad McMikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I'm confused - I don't see what was so wrong with what Horcoff said? I think some people just have such a hate for the guy that they will use anything to take a shot at him.

He basically said it times for the team to take the next step. Does anyone disagree? While some players did this year - as a team, they certainly did not.
Because he makes 5.5 Million dollars. That's why it's so wrong with what he said.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:05 PM
  #110
Suxnet
Registered User
 
Suxnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,058
vCash: 500
Whitney's a ****ing loser. So glad that entitled idiot will be gone. Horcoff and Smyth can follow him out too.

Suxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:07 PM
  #111
NewBoysClub97*
All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,847
vCash: 50
LOL what a joke Whitney is. Brutal comments. I actually like the guy, but that is just pathetic.

NewBoysClub97* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:14 PM
  #112
McPuritania
Fire Woodcroft
 
McPuritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Novigrad
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,239
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
So did Belanger just not speak or was he not even there?
He slunk away like the worm he is.

As far as Whitney goes, I think people are being a little too critical. He didn't say anything really that bad, just venting a little I guess. Not a big deal imo.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:27 PM
  #113
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,099
vCash: 50
Whitney just has a lot of pride, and he's going to be even more disappointed next year. Unless he finds a miracle cure for his feet/ankles, he's pretty much done.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:31 PM
  #114
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!
 
GreatMcKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24,731
vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I've said in another GDT that getting rid of Hemsky, Smyth and Horcoff would rid us of what has been the epitome of the current Oiler culture - **** poor performance and zero apathy. Complete indifference to the game.
Zero apathy would be caring to the highest degree...

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:46 PM
  #115
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,674
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Probably should have said this on his exit interview...another resentful ex oiler sent away.
Ralph said he will do exit interviews regardless of whether or not a player will be returning. Said he will do it later in May.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:48 PM
  #116
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Zero apathy would be caring to the highest degree...
My bad hahaha I should have said zero care haha

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:48 PM
  #117
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,674
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Honestly, I'm not happy with Whitney's comments.

I know what do you expect about a guy being frustrated, but take your lumps. Youre a professional ****ing athlete.

I hope his new team doesn't scratch him too much.
Did you watch the video? He was very critical of himself too. We want guys to be honest. He was honest. There was nothing unprofessional there IMHO.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:52 PM
  #118
Lowe in Oil
Registered User
 
Lowe in Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
One would think that if MacT was going to axe Krueger, we'd know before the draft. Hell, before the week is up even.

Krueger is speaking now.
Maybe replaced by Lindy Ruff?

One can dream...

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:57 PM
  #119
nabob
:]
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Did you watch the video? He was very critical of himself too. We want guys to be honest. He was honest. There was nothing unprofessional there IMHO.
exactly the media was just trying to paint him in a bad light by selectively quoting him on twitter. Get the fans mad at a guy who already has one foot out the door a deflect criticism from the other vet s who failed the team this year.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:06 PM
  #120
Quinteoilers
Registered User
 
Quinteoilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Maybe replaced by Lindy Ruff?

One can dream...
I bet MacT "sets the table" this summer. And if the team is struggling at the 25-30 game mark. Ralph is fired and Brent Sutter is brought in. A tough no-non sense systems guy.

Quinteoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:08 PM
  #121
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,674
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Maybe replaced by Lindy Ruff?

One can dream...
I thought I heard he is close to signing in Colorado, or is that just speculation?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:10 PM
  #122
HallnEbs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
It's been said a few times but if you haven't listened to the Whitney audio and are here slamming him, make sure you hear it at least. No where near as poisonous as it was made to sound on Twitter.

HallnEbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:13 PM
  #123
McOilers4cup
Finally
 
McOilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: High Hopes
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,462
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
I thought I heard he is close to signing in Colorado, or is that just speculation?
Maybe Patrick Roy

McOilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:24 PM
  #124
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,674
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Maybe Patrick Roy
Perhaps. I have not heard anything but he would likely be on the speculation list too.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:51 PM
  #125
Hiphopopotamus
Registered User
 
Hiphopopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
exactly the media was just trying to paint him in a bad light by selectively quoting him on twitter. Get the fans mad at a guy who already has one foot out the door a deflect criticism from the other vet s who failed the team this year.
Whit is very blunt and honest. But he should have swallowed some pride and walked away with a little more class. If he's pissed he was a healthy scratch he needs to look in the mirror and not look at the injustice of it. I have no doubt what picture the Oilers yes men are trying to paint. But I still have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy that gets paid what Whitney does and has hard feelings because he lost his job to the AHL calibre dman (Potter).

Hiphopopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.