HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

$3.5 mill + 1st round draft pick/asset for ANY buyout

Old
04-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Egoclapper

vCash: 500
$3.5 mill + 1st round draft pick/asset for ANY buyout

Leafs have Mike Komisarek, who they'll look at using their compliance buy out on this summer. He will get paid $3.5 mill next year with cap hit of $4.5 mill. Personally I think he's a decent player at that price if you're not against the cap. But the Leafs will be tight against it with a lot of pending free agents.

The Leafs could leverage their financial strength and their compliance buyout by trading with a financially strapped team who is looking to buyout a large contract. Now obviously fans would prefer their team spends money rather than an asset and some would argue that Leafs ownership has no interest in spending more money than they need to.

But if it were to happen, eg Dipietro's got $36 mill left on his deal and would cost $24 mill to buyout, what kind of assets would the Islanders be willing to give up to save $21.6 mill ($24 mill to buyout DP - $2.3 mill to buyout Komisarek).

And who are other teams/players that could be options?

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Egoclapper

Another player is Roberto Luongo who's got a lot of money left on his deal which the Canucks may not be able to afford to buy out.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:29 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Good luck convincing your owner to throw 24M out the window for a 1st rounder.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:30 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoclapper View Post
Leafs have Mike Komisarek, who they'll look at using their compliance buy out on this summer. He will get paid $3.5 mill next year with cap hit of $4.5 mill. Personally I think he's a decent player at that price if you're not against the cap. But the Leafs will be tight against it with a lot of pending free agents.

The Leafs could leverage their financial strength and their compliance buyout by trading with a financially strapped team who is looking to buyout a large contract. Now obviously fans would prefer their team spends money rather than an asset and some would argue that Leafs ownership has no interest in spending more money than they need to.

But if it were to happen, eg Dipietro's got $36 mill left on his deal and would cost $24 mill to buyout, what kind of assets would the Islanders be willing to give up to save $21.6 mill ($24 mill to buyout DP - $2.3 mill to buyout Komisarek).

NYI give nothing to buyout RD at $1.5m per. Haven't we had these fantasy threads before

Wang bought out Yashin when he was owed more on his contract. Wang also bought out Witt and Bates.

Wang is exploring selling the team. He won't be the owner on the hook for DiPietro's $1.5m per buyout. The next guy will.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Thanks for reading the whole post. What do you think is the value of $24 mill? I think a 1st is too little. I'm wondering what others thoughts on this would be.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

This doesn't seem like a sound business/financial decision for an owner to do. And I imagine the league would squash any deal that was something like Dipietro + 1st for 7th rounder. And I have no idea, maybe a 1st rounder for every 5 million left on the deal?

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
This doesn't seem like a sound business/financial decision for an owner to do. And I imagine the league would squash any deal that was something like Dipietro + 1st for 7th rounder. And I have no idea a 1st rounder for every 5 million left on the deal?
Teams do this in baseball, throw millions at international free agents hoping one turns out. Dipietro + 1st for Komisarek. Cash can be retained in trades now (although limited) so I would think the league would allow it.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:40 PM
NeutralZone

I don't think this is allowed. I think compliance buyouts can only be used on players by the team's who had their contract at the time the new CBA was put in place.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:41 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Teams do this in baseball, throw millions at international free agents hoping one turns out. Dipietro + 1st for Komisarek. Cash can be retained in trades now (although limited) so I would think the league would allow it.
What team is throwing away $24m, for a mid first round pick?

Old
04-28-2013, 04:41 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I don't think this is allowed. I think compliance buyouts can only be used on players by the team's who had their contract at the time the new CBA was put in place.
I wish the mods would sticky that info.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:43 PM
GAGLine

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Quote:
Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a “Compliance Buy-Out”).

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:03 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
took me a few moments to figure out what this thread was about--

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Can Dallas just have Komisarek?

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:29 PM
herashak

vCash: 157
komisarek+1st for tanguay?

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Teeder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
What team is throwing away $24m, for a mid first round pick?
Even the Leafs wouldn't. They are owned by two of the greediest corporations in Canada. They don't throw money away. They bleed their customers

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Can Dallas just have Komisarek?
Yup, saves a buyout for someone else.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:04 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
I wish the mods would sticky that info.
The listed wording is "already existing SPCs". That can be read as in "existing at the time of the CBA starting, and only that team" or just "already existing, somewhere, anywhere at the tiem the CBA started".

Has it been confirmed it is limited to the team they started the CBA with?

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Vancouver Canucks*

Quote:
Another player is Roberto Luongo who's got a lot of money left on his deal which the Canucks may not be able to afford to buy out.
Aquilini is loaded, easily afford the buyout.

Also highly unlikely that Luongo gets bought out

Vancouver Canucks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:14 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Canucks View Post

Given it's spread out over about 100 years the cost would barely make a dint in the Canucks profits.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Djp

Quote:

There has been a lot of debate and uncertainty on the ability of team A to trade a player to team B so they can immediately do a compliance buyout on making them a UFA.

some believe you have to hold onto a player until next June before you could buy them out.

the only scenario I see would be a trade of 2 players for 1 player where their cap hits are about equal so they then can do just one buy out on one player instead of using their 2 on 2 players.

Since Komisarek has just 1 yr sat $4.5M---a buy out would be $1.5M for 2 yrs of cap hit. A compliance buyout doesnt count aginat the cap.

Toronto could offer to eat $2M of his cap hit (eating the bonus money and $1M of salary) they could get something of value for him.

a team would not give up much for him. They know the Leafs are against the cap wall.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:38 AM
Loyal2TheOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Canucks View Post

Most owners can afford these buyouts if they can pay the player the entire contract in the first place. It does not make sense for vancouver to buyout Luongo when that 2-3 million (not sure exactly what the buyout amount against the cap would be) is lost instead of a crucial depth player to be a championship contender

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Paper

Quote:
Wang is exploring selling the team. He won't be the owner on the hook for DiPietro's $1.5m per buyout. The next guy will.
Probably far closer to the opposite. He'll have a harder time selling it with DiPietro's contract or buyout on the books.

At the very least it will be calculated into the cost.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:32 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
MAYBE 1st overall in a year with a guy like Crosby only because he knows he'll make it back. That's it.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Here's a link to cap geeks buyout calculator figures for Luongo: http://capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php?player_id=683.

They'd be paying until 2031, and from 2019-2022, it would be over 5 million per season.

Yeah, they may not be able to afford it.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:59 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Probably far closer to the opposite. He'll have a harder time selling it with DiPietro's contract or buyout on the books.

At the very least it will be calculated into the cost.
I believe the Isles have about $450m left on their cable deal. The NY Times says Barclay's extra 70 luxury suites, will bring in an extra $35m per season.

According to the press, Wang is turning the business side of running the team over to the Barclay Center group, while Wang and Snow focus on the day to day running of the team.This has led to speculation, that Ratner and Prokhorov will end up buying the team.

Wang's not worrying about DiPietro's $1.5m per buyout and if Ratner and Prokhorov are indeed the new owners, they won't be worried about that $1.5m per either.