The Cricket Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Indians ban 30 English players following Test defeat
The Board of Control for Cricket in India has reacted angrily to the country’s 2-1 loss in the recent Test series against England by banning a group of county cricketers from practising in India.
Quote:
Around thirty players from Yorkshire, Durham, Kent, Hampshire, Glamorgan, Gloucestershire and Nottinghamshire were due to fly to India in the coming weeks to further their cricketing educations by practising on the spinning pitches of India on trips organised by Sachin Bajaj, founder of the Global Cricket School.

But the BCCI has instructed all ground authorities in Pune, where the GCS is based, that no foreign players must use their facilities without official permission. And in this case that permission has not been granted.

The BCCI is thought to be particularly annoyed that Joe Root, who made such a stunning Test debut in the final Test in Nagpur, had already had such vast experience of Indian conditions before that debut.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cri...st-defeat.html

BCCI is run by the biggest tools in the world.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

This current SA squad is the best one in world cricket since the 90's Aussies. The amount of depth and talent on their squat is ridiculous. If they don't win the WC in 2015, it's gonna be a major fail.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
"I, with a few other guys, took it as leading into the Test match and I got that extremely wrong, which meant that it's cost me a Test match," he said. "They [the leadership group] obviously thought that was the right decision for the team at this point in time. I accept that I did the wrong thing with what I did, but I will always find it very hard to accept being suspended from a Test match for my country. 
 "I've missed Test matches and games through injury throughout my career. I feel like I've worked my absolute bum off to have an opportunity to represent my country. When that's taken away from you, you think the actions must be very severe. That's where we differ on our opinions. I think it's extremely harsh. I expressed my extreme disappointment with the punishment. But everything happens for a reason in your life."

Watson's father has spoken of how a future without international competition may be comfortably filled by Twenty20 duty in the IPL and for other clubs, and the sometime allrounder said he would be carefully weighing up his love of the game and the hurt this suspension has caused him.

"It'll give me a chance to reflect on what's really happened over the past couple of days and be able to absorb what's happened and have a think about where things are at," he said. "I absolutely love playing cricket. I love nothing more than being able to have the opportunity and privilege to represent my country. That's something that, when it was taken away from me with this suspension - well, the guys back in India know how much it hurts me."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-...ry/624698.html

Some circus **** going on with the cricket boards these days.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Jesse Ryder is in an induced coma in intensive care after some idiots in Christchurch bet the crap out of him and left him with a fractured skull.

Won't be seeing him in IPL now unfortunately.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:08 PM
darko

Wtf is wrong with some people?

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:10 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

MargotWritesCricket @MargotButcher
#JesseRyder has been brought out of his induced coma and is talking. He doesn't recall the attack (not unusual after such an event).

Good news

Old
03-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Good news indeed.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:43 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 804
Hello all, I've just started watching cricket in the last week. The Rajasthan Royals have been on a few times and I started watching out of curiousity. Now I find that I really like watching it! So many rules to figure out, I'm slowly learning them, but man is it confusing to start! Currently I know absolutely nothing of the leagues but I did earlier in this thread about the site cricinfo, so I'll be heading over there to take a look soon. So far my favorite player is Binny from RR but I guess that doesn't mean to much seeing as I've only ever seen a few teams play so far.

Edit: bah! Went over to espncricinfo and the main article was about the match I'm currently watching. Guess I'm watching a repeat of an earlier match, and now I know who won.

Last edited by WPGNYRFan: 04-21-2013 at 02:18 AM.
WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:30 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Hello all, I've just started watching cricket in the last week. The Rajasthan Royals have been on a few times and I started watching out of curiousity. Now I find that I really like watching it! So many rules to figure out, I'm slowly learning them, but man is it confusing to start! Currently I know absolutely nothing of the leagues but I did earlier in this thread about the site cricinfo, so I'll be heading over there to take a look soon. So far my favorite player is Binny from RR but I guess that doesn't mean to much seeing as I've only ever seen a few teams play so far.

Edit: bah! Went over to espncricinfo and the main article was about the match I'm currently watching. Guess I'm watching a repeat of an earlier match, and now I know who won.
Should point out that IPL cricket is 20/20 style cricket, and some would say, its quite different to the longer over games.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:31 PM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
Should point out that IPL cricket is 20/20 style cricket, and some would say, its quite different to the longer over games.
Yeah, I keep reading about 5 day cricket? I guess I should learn the various styles before I pick a team to support. Is it easy to find matches to watch online? I'm pretty sure there aren't too many matches on our cable providers schedule. I've read that espn shows some matches but unfortunately we don't get them.

Kind of funny, when I first started watching cricket, I read this thread from start to finish and barely understood anything in it, it was like reading a different language almost. Now that I've seen a few t20 matches, I've reread the thread and it's mostly become clear, I can follow most of what everyone is saying.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:

Hey! You can go to this site to help you learn the basic rules first:
http://www.squidoo.com/cricketfordummies

As villevalo said, the format of cricket you are watching is called Twenty 20 (20 overs), or T20 for short. There are two other formats of cricket played - One Day (50 overs) and Test (Unlimited overs, but 5 days max for the game). The link will explain this stuff in a little more detail. In cricket, the big money leagues are the T20 leagues, as it's deemed more entertaining.

International cricket is just as popular and common as league cricket. International cricket goes on all year round, and players need to get permissions from their country's cricket boards before they can go over and play in foreign leagues. The international governing body for cricket is called ICC (International Cricket Council).

The most prestigious trophy in cricket is the World Cup Trophy. The competition for the trophy occurs every 4 years (similar to soccer worldcup). The last world cup took place in 2011 - jointy hosted by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. India won the cup on their home soil. Australia holds the record for the most Word Cup trophies (4). They won the WC 3 straight times before India broke their streak in 2011.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:43 PM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Hey! You can go to this site to help you learn the basic rules first:
http://www.squidoo.com/cricketfordummies

As villevalo said, the format of cricket you are watching is called Twenty 20 (20 overs), or T20 for short. There are two other formats of cricket played - One Day (50 overs) and Test (Unlimited overs, but 5 days max for the game). The link will explain this stuff in a little more detail. In cricket, the big money leagues are the T20 leagues, as it's deemed more entertaining.

International cricket is just as popular and common as league cricket. International cricket goes on all year round, and players need to get permissions from their country's cricket boards before they can go over and play in foreign leagues. The international governing body for cricket is called ICC (International Cricket Council).

The most prestigious trophy in cricket is the World Cup Trophy. The competition for the trophy occurs every 4 years (similar to soccer worldcup). The last world cup took place in 2011 - jointy hosted by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. India won the cup on their home soil. Australia holds the record for the most Word Cup trophies (4). They won the WC 3 straight times before India broke their streak in 2011.
Great info, thanks!

Old
04-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Updated the OP with some online streaming sites. If anyone has other sites, please share.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:01 PM
WPGNYRFan

Something kind of amusing for you to all snicker at, the first match I watched, I was pretty sure I understood the scoring system, one team was up something like 10-0, but then someone from the other team caught the ball and I saw the "score" turn to 10-1. I was thinking "oh ok, if the other team catches it, they get a free run!" I did end up figuring out my mistake, but had to laugh at myself for that one once I realized what it actually meant.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

So just finished watching Gayle play pretty much the most ruthless innings you will ever see

175 not out off 66 balls strike rate of 265.

17 sixes, 102 runs from those 17 balls alone.

More sixes than dot balls.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:54 PM
SB164

Happy Birthday to the living legend. He turns 40.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:07 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
So just finished watching Gayle play pretty much the most ruthless innings you will ever see

That was crazy. You wont see many (if any) more dominant innings than that. Shafid Afridi when he burst on the scene as a young kid made a ton of 30-odd balls comes to mind but I think Gayle has him beat.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:

I just heard about this last night from my cousin

This tops the Afridi 100/37 innings I would think. What can I say, he is the most intimidating batsmen I have seen after Gilchrist. The man is just a beast.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

It was just a shame that the onslaught was stopped at the 20 over mark. He didn't exactly look like slowing down any time soon.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:56 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

For those who missed the festivities. Of course that was only the century, the belting raged on after that.

Last edited by Morozov: 04-26-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old
04-26-2013, 11:23 PM
WPGNYRFan

Obviously I haven't seen much of Gayle seeing as I just started watching Cricket, but what I have seen impresses me. Seemed like a pretty decent guy from the post-match interview he did after RCB played RR.

Edit: It won't let me watch that video, says the uploader hasn't made it available in my country.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Gayle is definitely among the most entertaining players around to watch, it's funny how monstrous he is with the bat, then when they interview him the laid back Jamaican side comes out.

There's a lot of videos of that innings uploaded just do a search on YouTube.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:54 PM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Gayle is definitely among the most entertaining players around to watch, it's funny how monstrous he is with the bat, then when they interview him the laid back Jamaican side comes out.

There's a lot of videos of that innings uploaded just do a search on YouTube.
I've been watching a lot of youtube cricket videos lately, including that 38 runs in one over video!

Old
04-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
I've been watching a lot of youtube cricket videos lately, including that 38 runs in one over video!
Certain players whose videos you could enjoy are the following:

1) Adam Gilchrist - one of the most destructive batsmen I have ever seen. This guy bullied bowlers left, right and center.
2) Chris Gayle - nothing else needs to be said
3) Sanath Jayasuria - another destructive openers. This guy was one of the main reasons why Sri Lanka won the WC in 96.
4) Wasim Akram - Greatest pace bowler that ever lived IMO. This guy made the ball swing like its no body's business. He along with Waqar Younus formed one of the greatest opening bowling pairs in cricketing history.
5) Shane Warne & Muttiah Muralitharan - These two players are the greatest spin bowlers the game has ever seen. They amount of spin they got on some deliveries will leave you scratching your head.

If you enjoy these, look for Saching Tendulkar, Brian Lara and Ricky Ponting clips.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:31 PM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Certain players whose videos you could enjoy are the following:

1) Adam Gilchrist - one of the most destructive batsmen I have ever seen. This guy bullied bowlers left, right and center.
2) Chris Gayle - nothing else needs to be said
3) Sanath Jayasuria - another destructive openers. This guy was one of the main reasons why Sri Lanka won the WC in 96.
4) Wasim Akram - Greatest pace bowler that ever lived IMO. This guy made the ball swing like its no body's business. He along with Waqar Younus formed one of the greatest opening bowling pairs in cricketing history.
5) Shane Warne & Muttiah Muralitharan - These two players are the greatest spin bowlers the game has ever seen. They amount of spin they got on some deliveries will leave you scratching your head.

If you enjoy these, look for Saching Tendulkar, Brian Lara and Ricky Ponting clips.
Awesome, thanks!