HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Flyers2point0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Booking it now :

Zadorov is a top 11 pick
Pulock is about 16-17
Ristolainen is in the 20-30 range
If we can get Z and Risto falls that far we better trade for another pick and get him. Coburn, Laughton, whoever. I would absolutely love to have both of those players.
If neither of those guys are available and they're going forward over Pulock, I want Horvat.

Realistically, I just want Zadorov. And I'm worried if we draft a center then Couts could be traded, and I really think we would regret giving up on him.

No matter who the pick is, how they do in training camp and the preseason will determine where they end up. If they're ready they may make the team. If they need to work on offense, I can see them going back to juniors. If they need to work on defense, I can see them going to ADK or juniors depending on how much work they need.

Last edited by Flyers2point0: 04-28-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Well, he is a small guy, but knows how to score and is very shifty. Briere-esque?
Briere is probably not the best comparison as Domi is more fiesty and physical. I'd actually say his game (not size) is more comparable to B. Schenn that Briere.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Everyone knows I could care less about size but 5'9 is ABIT small.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Appleyard

People should not be getting so het up about drafting in 11th instead of 8th.

Picks 6-15 are honestly pretty identical from a statistical point of view... 16 is where it starts to tail off a bit in terms of top talent.

1990-2004:

6-10: 400 GP: 57.33%, 700 GP: 38.7%, All-Star: 24%
11-15: 400 GP: 50.7%, 700 GP: 38.7%, All-Star: 24%

Old
04-28-2013, 04:16 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I think the reason people are somewhat upset is that in this draft, while its deep, is extremely top heavy. Most would agree that the difference, at the moment anyway, between players like Barkov, Valeri, Lindholm and Nurse are pretty big compared to Domi, Hovart, Pulock, etc etc. Plus having a high pick gives u a better chance in the 2nd to pick up a guy who might have fallen out of the first. While statistically might show it, one has to take into consideration that there is level difference between the top 10 and 11-20. Now the only thing we have going for us is that players ALWAYS fall and we are in the perfect position to grab a guy who might fall. Like last season Grigorenko and Forsberg were top 5 guys but fell into the teens. That was because defenders were great last draft. We can only hope for the same in one sense or another.

In the end, I think Homer "reaches". People joke about Domi, but I can see him looking at Hagg, Domi, etc etc, guys projected to go late teens early 20s but Homer takes him alittle early.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think the reason people are somewhat upset is that in this draft, while its deep, is extremely top heavy. Most would agree that the difference, at the moment anyway, between players like Barkov, Valeri, Lindholm and Nurse are pretty big compared to Domi, Hovart, Pulock, etc etc. Plus having a high pick gives u a better chance in the 2nd to pick up a guy who might have fallen out of the first.
I know what you mean, but in 5 years time, like at every draft, the order would be different if re-done... and the difference in 4 picks in that range is nominal % wise, there is just as much chance the person taken 11th is better than the 8th as there is the other way round.

1990: #8 Hatcher better than #11 Kidd
1991: #11 Rolston better than #8 Matvichuk
1992: Both no NHL impact.
1993: #11 Brendan Witt better than #8 Sundstrom
1994: #11 Friesen better than #8 Wiemer
1995: #11 Iginla better than #8 Terry Ryan
1996: Both had little NHL impact.
1997: #8 Samsonov better than #11 Jason Ward
1998: #8 Mark Bell better than #11 Jeff Hereema
1999: #8 Pyatt better than #11 Saprykin
2000: #11 Vorobiev arguably better than #8 Alexeev
2001: Leclaire and Sjostrom... pretty even tbh, I can't decide who is better!
2002: #8 Pierre-Marc Bouchard arguably better than #11 Keith Ballard
2003: #11 Jeff Carter better than #8 Coburn, though hard to compare
2004: Tukonen and Picard... neither have had any impact tbh
2005: #11 Kopitar better than #8 Setoguchi
2006: Mueller and Bernier, hard to say, both pretty even though most here would say Bernier, he is still not proven
2007: #11 Sutter better than #8 Hamill
2008: #8 Boedker better than #11 Kyle Beach

So from 1990-2008 the 11th was better than the 8th 8 times to 6, 5 times pretty even... so if anything 11th is a better position to pick.

There is also literally no difference between picking 30th or 50th from a statistical standpoint, though the last 10 of the 2nd there is a big drop.

Last edited by Appleyard: 04-28-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Well, he is a small guy, but knows how to score and is very shifty. Briere-esque?
Not a fan of Domi. But sports fans unless we get lucky Monday night...Kerby Rychel come on down! I know I know he is not in my top 11 but I would love to see this kid on our wing.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:24 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Not a fan of Domi. But sports fans unless we get lucky Monday night...Kerby Rychel come on down! I know I know he is not in my top 11 but I would love to see this kid on our wing.

Theme song for when he scores?

Old
04-28-2013, 05:27 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:

Theme song for when he scores?
This should just be the goal song in general

Old
04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I know what you mean, but in 5 years time, like at every draft, the order would be different if re-done... and the difference in 4 picks in that range is nominal % wise, there is just as much chance the person taken 11th is better than the 8th as there is the other way round.

1990: #8 Hatcher better than #11 Kidd
1991: #11 Rolston better than #8 Matvichuk
1992: Both no NHL impact.
1993: #11 Brendan Witt better than #8 Sundstrom
1994: #11 Friesen better than #8 Wiemer
1995: #11 Iginla better than #8 Terry Ryan
1996: Both had little NHL impact.
1997: #8 Samsonov better than #11 Jason Ward
1998: #8 Mark Bell better than #11 Jeff Hereema
1999: #8 Pyatt better than #11 Saprykin
2000: #11 Vorobiev arguably better than #8 Alexeev
2001: Leclaire and Sjostrom... pretty even tbh, I can't decide who is better!
2002: #8 Pierre-Marc Bouchard arguably better than #11 Keith Ballard
2003: #11 Jeff Carter better than #8 Coburn, though hard to compare
2004: Tukonen and Picard... neither have had any impact tbh
2005: #11 Kopitar better than #8 Setoguchi
2006: Mueller and Bernier, hard to say, both pretty even though most here would say Bernier, he is still not proven
2007: #11 Sutter better than #8 Hamill
2008: #8 Boedker better than #11 Kyle Beach

So from 1990-2008 the 11th was better than the 8th 8 times to 6, 5 times pretty even... so if anything 11th is a better position to pick.

There is also literally no difference between picking 30th or 50th from a statistical standpoint, though the last 10 of the 2nd there is a big drop.
Haha nice I always like looking at past drafts and like you said there are always big changes that would have been made. Look at ALOT of the past highly touted dmen. One of the guys that we have a chance to get will likley be a first liner or standout d. Just have to chose wisely

Old
04-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Phunhog

I think we'll have the karma gods on our side because they didn't tank.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:57 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I want to see the reaction on this board if we reach for Domi.
I'm still baffled as to why Domi is ranked as low as he is. People mention his size, but he's a 5'10, 200 pound player. He's got great hands, he works in heavy traffic areas, he's defensively aware and he plays a physical game. I don't get it.

I will say this - talking to a few people who I keep in touch with, they say the Flyers have been scouting forwards and there's a guy to keep an eye on - Valentin Zykov. Simon Nolet is a huge fan and he's making a big push for the guy.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
I'm feeling lucky for tomorrow night.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm still baffled as to why Domi is ranked as low as he is. People mention his size, but he's a 5'10, 200 pound player. He's got great hands, he works in heavy traffic areas, he's defensively aware and he plays a physical game. I don't get it.
I think some scouts and journalists might be put off by his pedigree and the uncontrollable nature of his father. While that won't impact his value to actual NHL front offices, it's something to think about.

I also think he's a little smaller than 5'10; at least he looks really small.

There are a lot of guys with real offensive game-breaking talent. Domi is on the second tier of the 1st round game-breaking forwards for a reason.

He's definitely an interesting choice if he could play as a winger, but we already have a number of smallish, talented wingers. And we have a number of bigger wingers in the pool. And we have a metric ****ton of centers. We could really go any direction at this point.

I just think I'd appreciate Domi more in the 14-18 range with his size being a reason to back off a bit.

All that said, it would not shock me in the least if the Flyers pulled him out of their magic hat on draft day. Whether I like the choice or not will depend heavily on the board; a lot of sons and brothers and nephews have been taken in the 1st round based on pedigree and more have failed than shined. I think there's definitely a stigma in that whether there should be one or not.

Quote:
I will say this - talking to a few people who I keep in touch with, they say the Flyers have been scouting forwards and there's a guy to keep an eye on - Valentin Zykov. Simon Nolet is a huge fan and he's making a big push for the guy.
That's an interesting name. We do love our QMJHL forwards even if we don't love Russians. I wonder what the odds are off picking him up with the 2nd rounder if we go defense in the 1st.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:11 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
I'm feeling lucky for tomorrow night.
Me too. Little over one in a hundred chance is not THAT bad. It's going to be amazing getting jones

Old
04-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Curufinwe

If they don't take Ristolainen, Zadorov or Pulock I'll be sad. Taking a forward increases the chance they make a huge mistake and trade Couturier.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
That's an interesting name. We do love our QMJHL forwards even if we don't love Russians. I wonder what the odds are off picking him up with the 2nd rounder if we go defense in the 1st.
He plays for Baie-Comeau, same team as Petr Straka. Seems like a recent trend for the Flyers when drafting is talking guys from teams that they already have prospects playing for.

I mean anything is possible but he's looking like a mid-1st round pick at this point so I'm not sure if he'll be there by the Flyers second pick.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-28-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 06:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He plays for Baie-Comeau, same team as Petr Straka. Seems like a recent trend for te Flyers when drafting is talking guys from teams that they already have prospects playing for.

I mean anything is possible but he's looking like a mid-1st round pick at this point so I'm not sure if he'll be there by the Flyers second pick.
That's an interesting point.

Also keep in mind that Domi's goalie is Anthony Stolarz.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
That's an interesting point.

Also keep in mind that Domi's goalie is Anthony Stolarz.
Zadorov is on that team, too.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:43 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He plays for Baie-Comeau, same team as Petr Straka. Seems like a recent trend for te Flyers when drafting is talking guys from teams that they already have prospects playing for.

Yeah, I think Zykov could possibly end up in the top 15 in this draft. He's a great winger, blessed with good size, good speed, and a real physical presence. He's also a real coachable guy and his defensive game has improved since he arrive in Baie-Comeau.

I agree that he probably won't be available in the 2nd. With that being said, if Nurse and Ristolainen are gone by the time the Flyers pick, it won't surprise me if Zykov is the forward they go with, especially when you consider that Nolet's voice carries a lot of weight within the organization and Nolet is a very big fan of Zykov.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Yeah, I think Zykov could possibly end up in the top 15 in this draft. He's a great winger, blessed with good size, good speed, and a real physical presence. He's also a real coachable guy and his defensive game has improved since he arrive in Baie-Comeau.

I agree that he probably won't be available in the 2nd. With that being said, if Nurse and Ristolainen are gone by the time the Flyers pick, it won't surprise me if Zykov is the forward they go with, especially when you consider that Nolet's voice carries a lot of weight within the organization and Nolet is a very big fan of Zykov.
Honestly though...

If both Nurse and Ristolainen are gone by the time we pick, that means another forward fell, possibly Nichushkin. I would suspect that to be the direction that the Flyers went over Zykov.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:48 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Honestly though...

If both Nurse and Ristolainen are gone by the time we pick, that means another forward fell, possibly Nichushkin. I would suspect that to be the direction that the Flyers went over Zykov.
Jones
MacKinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Nurse
Lindholm
Monahan
Ristolainen
Nichuskin
Shinkaruk

This is if EVERYTHING above us goings according to what mock drafts currently have. I like Zykov though. I'd take him with the 11th pick. Kid is talented.

Mirco Müller is another defender that has risen up greatly. He will get a big look Im guessing.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:52 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Jones
MacKinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Nurse
Lindholm
Monahan
Ristolainen
Nichuskin
Shinkaruk
Man, the top 10 is so awesome this year. It kinda blows we got 11.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Beef, don't give Holmgren any new ideas now.
yeah good point.
stick the kids in the AHL and play lose awesome veteran defenseman like Bruno Gervais and Kurtis Foster

Old
04-28-2013, 08:22 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better
I'm going to say we lose out the rest of the season. This team is defeated.
I would personally like to blame "orange is better" for the position we find ourselves in after he tossed this gem out there with 4 games remaining.

Closed Thread