HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Staal to Canes

Old
04-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Cardiac_Canes

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I don't now if Rangers fans are serious about those offers they suggest or are just doing it because they would only trade him for overpayment, because there is no chance Staal is worth Skinner or Faulk, Tlusty and a 1st.
I don't think any of them actually think he is worth that, moreso that's the kind of overpayment they'd need to be motivated to move him. Other than for an overpayment, what reason could they possibly have to move him? They're trying to contend for the stanley cup and he is their best defenceman. His absence this year has shown how valuable he is to them.

Also, now wouldn't be the best time to trade him anyway given he's been out most of the year and it's not a sure thing how he will play when he returns. Wouldn't help his trade value.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
I don't now if Rangers fans are serious about those offers they suggest or are just doing it because they would only trade him for overpayment, because there is no chance Staal is worth Skinner or Faulk, Tlusty and a 1st.
Heard the same thing about Gaborik, he is not worth 3 assets. Has a huge cap hit, Rangers have to take a cap dump in return, or UFA or some crap like that.
Rangers ended up with 2 young premium assets in Brassard and Moore, a supposedly excellent character guy in Dorsett.
1 - Sather is no fool.
2 - Staal is an elite shutdown Dman on a sweet heart deal for 2 more years.
3 - He wears a letter and is part of the core.
I doubt Staal will ever ask to be traded, but if for some reason Sather decides to trade him, it'd require a premium return.
First + Faulk + Tlusty is not an overpayment.

Faulk is nice but will he realize his potential?
I seem to recall that McBain at a certain point held the same or higher value than Faulk. Most would agree that he doesn't anymore.
Tlusty is nice, but he is shooting 19.7%, who seriously thinks he can sustain it? I don't.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
I think it's a matter of value not being dictated by the actual "quality" of the good, but by what the market is willing to pay for it.That's subjective theory of value, and it's commonplace in modern economics.

The quantity of Marc Staal is one. If NYR trade him, it would be to the highest bidder of the other 29 teams in the league. I think that NYR fans believe that Carolina would be willing to give up a lot for Staal, perhaps even more than he might command otherwise, because of the circumstances surrounding what they are ostensibly trying to do with the Staal brothers.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Paladin2799

Ruutu, Corvo, 1st

Rangers get a top6 left winger, a top4 defenseman, and a top10 draft pick.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Callafan24

Sorry, but Sather hangs up on that offer. Marc Staal is very important to the Rangers and you would have to blow us away with an offer to attain him. The only players that NYR should even consider are Jordan Staal (not happening) and Justin Faulk. Anything less and we would gladly keep our All-Star defenseman.

Callafan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
Ruutu, Corvo, 1st

Rangers get a top6 left winger, a top4 defenseman, and a top10 draft pick.
Rangers don't touch Ruutu and his contract. 3 more season's at 4.75 isn't something we want to entertain.

Corvo's an UFA after this season. Awful. Just awful. Hopefully this was your first, and last Staal proposal. Ever.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I seem to recall that McBain at a certain point held the same or higher value than Faulk. Most would agree that he doesn't anymore.
McBain was never as highly regarded as Faulk is, and Faulk is well on his way to realizing his potential.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Heard the same thing about Gaborik, he is not worth 3 assets. Has a huge cap hit, Rangers have to take a cap dump in return, or UFA or some crap like that.
Rangers ended up with 2 young premium assets in Brassard and Moore, a supposedly excellent character guy in Dorsett.
1 - Sather is no fool.
I doubt Staal will ever ask to be traded, but if for some reason Sather decides to trade him, it'd require a premium return.

Tlusty is nice, but he is shooting 19.7%, who seriously thinks he can sustain it? I don't.
If you had said, that package is what it would take to land Marc Staal, I could buy it. Make no mistake, 5th/6th overall + Faulk + Tlusty is a definite overpayment and probably a massive one at that. At 21 years of age, Faulk is a 23+ minute a night, shutdown RHD that plays in all situations and looks really good doing it. The comparison to McBain is just flat out inaccurate. McBain looked ungodly in the final stretch of games in the 2009-2010 season. However, he followed it up with a disappointing rookie season in 2010-2011, relative to expectations. Faulk followed up an excellent rookie season with an awesome sophomore season in which he was named the team MVP over a player that finished Top 10 in league scoring. Outside of that stretch in 2010, I donít remember McBain ever looking as good defensively as Faulk does on a consistent basis. Because he plays in a small Southern market, wasnít drafted all that high and has yet to play in the playoffs, he really doesnít get a lot of hype from the media or HF. The guy is a stud. Compared to Marc Staal, Faulk is arguably a more valuable asset, to Carolina at least, when you factor in his play up until this point, age/potential, contract/years of team control left and handedness as well as Staalís recent injuries and contract situation. To insinuate that a Top 5 pick and a young forward, who finished Top 10 in goal scoring this year, would have to be added to the package for it to be considered fair value is silly.

5th/6th overall + McBain + Dalpe/Di Giuseppe/McGinn/Rask would be as far Jim Rutherford goes, imo. Judging by the reaction on the Canes board and the return that Ranger fans generally want, neither side would be too happy with the trade. Sorta like the Jordan Staal trade discussions, that leads me to believe that it would be a pretty realistic return. Does that package motivate the Rangers to trade Marc Staal this offseason? It depends on how they do in the playoffs, how seriously they view the potential of Marc Staal leaving for Carolina as a UFA in 2015 and how much they like one of the forward prospects that would be available at 5. Iím leaning towards that package not being enough.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:52 PM
StormCast

Quote:
1 - Sather is no fool.

Number one, there's a big difference between trading deadline value and off-season trade value. Two, Staal is not elite. Three, though Staal is better at the moment, the difference individually between Faulk and Staal is not that great and nowhere near that kind of package.

But the bigger question is, outside of getting another Staal brother, what's the real value for Carolina? They get an older, more expensive D than a guy in Faulk who will almost certainly be on par or better in the next 2 seasons or less. His offense is already better than Staal's. Makes no sense. Pass, big time.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:41 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Number one, there's a big difference between trading deadline value and off-season trade value. Two, Staal is not elite. Three, though Staal is better at the moment, the difference individually between Faulk and Staal is not that great and nowhere near that kind of package.

But the bigger question is, outside of getting another Staal brother, what's the real value for Carolina? They get an older, more expensive D than a guy in Faulk who will almost certainly be on par or better in the next 2 seasons or less. His offense is already better than Staal's. Makes no sense. Pass, big time.
The Canes need to strengthen their D, and could really use a smart positionally sound, shutdown guy. They could really use Marc Staal as a player, but you're right in that they're not going to give up a significant piece on D for him. The biggest piece is going to have to be a forward, and odds are good that a lesser D would be moved to make room, probably McBain. But the Rangers aren't going to get our #1 D in return when the Canes are trying to strengthen the back end.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:55 PM
JayQueensNY88*

2013 1st rounder and a top 6 fwd and Staal is yours.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Callafan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
2013 1st rounder and a top 6 fwd and Staal is yours.
If i'm NYR, I most definitely pass.

Callafan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Oogie Boogie

Rutherford will have to sell his soul

Oogie Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Marc Staal to Carolina is inevitable....it's only a matter of time.

Soon....soon...

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Marc Staal to Carolina is inevitable....it's only a matter of time.

Soon....soon...
What kind of contract can Marc expect from Carolina in another 2+ years?

Will you know soon? Soon?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
CaptainCally

They should make a section called: ''Marc Staal to Carolina Hurricanes, rumours and proposals'' this has got to be the 10 000000th thread created about him joining up with his brothers. And they all end the same. Rangers fans want Skinner, Canes fans says no. Canes fans offer Ruutu++, Rangers fans says no.

It just an endless cycle, when will it end?! They should ban Staal to Carolina threads until his contract is about to expire, then maybe we'd see something new .

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
They should make a section called: ''Marc Staal to Carolina Hurricanes, rumours and proposals'' this has got to be the 10 000000th thread created about him joining up with his brothers. And they all end the same. Rangers fans want Skinner, Canes fans says no. Canes fans offer Ruutu++, Rangers fans says no.

It just an endless cycle, when will it end?! They should ban Staal to Carolina threads until his contract is about to expire, then maybe we'd see something new .
No canes fan in their right mind thinks Ruutu will get it done even as a starting piece. Guy is made of glass, ineffective when playing and signed to a bad contract with a ntc. Most of us would rather just wait and take our chances in free agency. There really isn't a deal to be had.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Chacal667

maybe carolina first + a lil something

the lottery is tonight ???

Chacal667 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:32 PM
aemoreira1981

I can think at least Jeff Skinner or Jiri Tlusty or Justin Faulk (preferably Faulk, but I don't think that Skinner or Tlusty have to be included) and a 1st-round draft pick being needed to get it done. The Jordan Staal for Brandon Sutter trade was essentially a trade of players at the same position, except in terms of team control (at the time, Jordan Staal was just 1 year away from UFA status and Brandon Sutter had 3 more years of team control). Here, if done next offseason, Faulk would have 4 years of team control left and be an RFA, while Staal would be one year from UFA status).

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

We're not trading Faulk for Marc Staal. The issue with our defense (lack of a top 4 defender) would not be resolved if we did, thereby negating the entire point of trading for Marc.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:58 PM
thrillermiller89

mcbain and tlusty could get it done

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Chacal667

I thought Skinner was >>> Marc Stall

Chacal667 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
I thought Skinner was >>> Marc Stall
Maybe he is, but certainly not more important to the Rangers based on need.

04-29-2013, 09:08 PM
M0rbid

Wait until the draft day

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Theon
Fear the Beard

For some reason, I think Staalsy will get dealt next month in the draft

Theon is offline   Reply With Quote