HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End of a dismal season: Panthers @ Lightning

Old
04-28-2013, 09:36 AM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, I get that, but being able to fight is important. Just saying I'd rather have a Chris Stewart than a Rinaldo.
I think we all would

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:26 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Thanks for all the kind things you guys said earlier about my pops, its greatly appreciated.

Im just glad this season is finally over. It sucks that we dont get to see some playoff hockey this year, but I cannot wait to see what happens tomorrow, during the draft, and in free agency, because I believe this summer is as big as last summer. I hope Tallon can continue to tinker with the lineup, get rid of the garbage, and add what needs to be added.

-As far as Huby goes, this 48 game season probably would have felt like a regular 82 game season, because of all the back to backs, 3 in 4s, 4 in 5s, etc. You knew he was going to get tired because of the amount of games in so little months. If his work ethic off the ice is anywhere near it on the ice, he is going to be ready to go come next season. Same goes for Jugs and Petrovic.

-I do not see Petrovic going anywhere next season, unless Tallon cant move some of the waste on the back end. His size and nastiness is just what this team needs, and having him and Gudbranson here will certainly make teams think twice about crashing the net. This taste of the NHL was perfect for him, and we should all be excited about his future with the team.

-Bjugstad has shown glimpses, but I think it would better off for him to start the year in SA. It also depends on what we are going to do in the draft and free agency. Is there a center spot there for him next year?

-Harvey said that Jovo fully expects to play next season, and that Weiss is optimistic about a return, so we will see what happens there.

All in all, it was a tough season, but we got to see a few glimpses of the future. We have a top line forward, great potential on the blueline, and a great young goaltender to build around. If we can have another successful draft, we are going to be quite the team moving forward.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Boooooth10

Campbell calling out Harv on his crap lol

“@hfialkov: Soup hinted that Gudbranson needs tio work on game 24_7 in offseason flapanthers” Actually I didn't say that.

@hfialkov I said u have to continue to get better all the time. I said I personally want to get better everyday.

@hfialkov I said it up to him to keep getting better.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post

“@hfialkov: Soup hinted that Gudbranson needs tio work on game 24_7 in offseason flapanthers” Actually I didn't say that.

@hfialkov I said u have to continue to get better all the time. I said I personally want to get better everyday.

Hahaha, awesome!

04-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

I'd like to see Bjugstad, Shore, and Howden start in San Antonio. I hope Upshall and Parros are out of here. The two games that Selleck played seemed to show that he can be more effective (not talking about the fighting part although he can handle his own).

I read Steeger will probably miss the start of next season. Don't see us 'paying' for another top-six forward so I'd take Weiss back. And if somehow Tallon can switch Clem out for Theo, that'd be cool. And I wouldn't mind switching Kuba for Robak.

-ghoste

Last edited by Ghoste: 04-28-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 1856
Quote:

In your face

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:17 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Quote:

Such a f'ng tool. I can give better coverage of the Panthers from my desk here in Greece.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:44 PM
gudzilla

harvey:
18m

Tallon said re-signing Mueller, Weiss, Theo is more about business decisions than anything #flapanthers

does this mean theo, mueller and weiss, or just muelelr and weiss

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dej View Post
harvey:
18m

Tallon said re-signing Mueller, Weiss, Theo is more about business decisions than anything #flapanthers

Every tweet from him leaves question marks...What a toolbag.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
harvey:
18m

I think he means all three..If we dont need them, they will be gone. Depends what we do on draft day. How much he feels the other guys are ready..Buyout decision still looming?

Old
04-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Montsy14

Strange statement considering he said previously that Mueller was in the plans and would likely be re-signed...

Basically he's just reminding everyone that there are pretty stringent financial constraints coming from above that he can't really do much about..

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:41 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 0
Mueller was nothing special for the 2nd half of the season, if he's asking for too much $$, Tallon will show him the door.

Still don't think Weiss will be back, same for Theo unless Clem gets moved.

Would much rather give Mueller's money to say, Filppula, if he's asking for too much. Mueller is very one dimensional, which we have more than enough already in Flash and Versteeg.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:55 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Mueller was nothing special for the 2nd half of the season, if he's asking for too much $$, Tallon will show him the door.

Still don't think Weiss will be back, same for Theo unless Clem gets moved.

Would much rather give Mueller's money to say, Filppula, if he's asking for too much. Mueller is very one dimensional, which we have more than enough already in Flash and Versteeg.
He's a RFA. (Right?)

At worst, just tender him for 10% over 1.75 million.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
He's a RFA. (Right?)

At worst, just tender him for 10% over 1.75 million.
Yes, but Mueller can't be forced to accept that QO. He'd probably take the team to salary arbitration and get rewarded something that DT (or more like the ownership) isn't willing to pay him.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
petro played plenty of PP so far.

also, if you want to judge petro and gud, atleast use the gudbranson we saw in the playoffs... its not like petrovic stepped right into the NHL like gudbranson did. also, gudbranson have played hurt this season. atleast let them play the 300 games to see if they're busts or not

the "bloodying part" was him cutting him with his visor iirc
petrovic has an average of 17 seconds of pp ice time per game. colby robak has 1 minute and 15 seconds by comparison. might want to check on your definition of "plenty"

even the gudbranson we saw in the playoffs was one-dimensional. my point is petrovic seems to have legit offensive abilities with the puck. i'm not saying gudbranson is a bust, i'm saying petrovic is better, more skilled player.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:23 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
This. He just hates Guds, wanted Fowler (or who knows), doesn't take anything into account. Its embarrassing at this point.

Also, heavies aren't going extinct, that's ridiculous, and a non-fight fans dumb outlook. Ottawa, NYI, and Toronto all had more than one heavy, and they're all in the post-season. Torres has gone with Prust, Brookbank, and Gleason, some big boys. Kaleta's gone with Orr, Prust, and Matt Martin to name a few, so sorry bit you're wrong. I'm not opposed to Selleck, but judging him by one game is a poor call. And he got knocked out by mid-ranked enforcer in his last call-up. If he stays in a lower class an fights the Boll, Glass, and Ashams mostly, fine. And I'm all for moving out Parros. He doesn't enforce, he fights. Sometimes. Not an Orr, Laus, or MacIntyre. Can't stand that.

And Markstrom is still finding his game, he is erratic, but the defense has also been a mess in front of him. Again, whole picture!! I'm iffy on the kid, but its clear to me he's working on his game.
NYI has Matt Martin, who can play hockey. Or are you referring to Boulton who has played like 10 games and is more often than not a healthy scratch?

Ottawa has Chris Neil, who can play hockey. Unless you're referring to Matt Kassian who has played like 10 games and is more often than not a healthy scratch.

Toronto is the only team with an "enforcer" who plays consistently.

If you want to keep around a guy like Kassian who can shuttle between SA and the NHL, and play in the handful of games he's actually needed, fine. but we shouldn't rely on a guy like that anymore to play 82 games...especially not Parros.

I don't really care if Selleck can go with heavyweights because they're becoming irrelevant. He's willing, and just because he got KO'd by Westgarth doesn't mean he will every time he drops them. He's gone with heavyweights before in the AHL several times. The guys he will need to go up against to protect, he can compete and beat in fights and that's all that matters.

and you take every critique of our players as if im bashing them. I'm not bashing Markstrom, just like i'm not bashing Gudbranson. but he's not ready to be a full-time #1. bring in someone to compete with him so his confidence isn't ruined when he goes through one of his down spells.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:28 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Respectfully disagree on the following...

No one has any idea who will be better between petro and buds, but I'm not letting a tiny sample obscure my opinions...both can be awesome and the grit i ike so ill follow Potvins advice (till choke when i say that as a ranger fan) and decide after each play 250 gms.
fine- how about saying Petrovic has more upside than Gudbranson? he has offensive ability that Gudbranson just doesn't have, so there is a higher ceiling to reach for him.

Too many teams still have enforcers, selleck doesnt fit that role. After Booth I and II i will never want this team to lack one. Enforcers and fighting are still here and likely to stay.

I think its frivolous to trade or pay for a number one goalie right now with all the flashes of brilliance Marky shows. I do want a better backup then a lifetime one, someone with big game experience to mentor.[/QUOTE]

i didn't mean an established #1 goalie like luongo or anything like him with a big pricetag - more a guy who has the "potential" to be a #1 goalie, which clemmensen is not.

i really like anton khudobin, who is a UFA. he'd be my #1 choice. if we can't get him, i'd be fine with theodore returning. but we cannot go into next year with a markstrom-clemmensen tandem under any circumstance.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
On Mueller,

My feeling is that he is a top six forward. First "full" season after injury (even though it was really a half season), I was glad he stayed healthy. I thought he did a good job acclimating to the team which is complete garbage. He had little time to learn his line-mates or system with a lack of training camp. I think he has more potential and better within him than he has shown this season. I wouldn't be ready to show him the door so quickly, personally. We need to remember that we traded for Versteeg, and over-paid for kopecky, and Campbell felt slighted in Chicago which led to him waiving to come here. This isn't a destination for free-agents yet. Fleischmann had serious question marks surrounding himself that Tallon had the balls to take on. It's fine talking about replacements potentially for Mueller, but I'm not sold on the idea that FA's want to come here. Mueller wanted to come here, and I think he did well enough this season to warrant coming back. If Tallon indeed wants to look at moving Mueller, then I sure as hell hope he has a good plan to bring in a forward with consistent goal scoring ability (even if Mueller wasn't so consistent this season).

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:43 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Too many teams still have enforcers, selleck doesnt fit that role. After Booth I and II i will never want this team to lack one. Enforcers and fighting are still here and likely to stay.

I think its frivolous to trade or pay for a number one goalie right now with all the flashes of brilliance Marky shows. I do want a better backup then a lifetime one, someone with big game experience to mentor.

^^this part of my post above is supposed to be quoted. AG said that...not me. sorry...post is confusing without clarifying that and i can't edit because of infractions

Old
04-28-2013, 05:06 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
On Mueller,

My feeling is that he is a top six forward. First "full" season after injury (even though it was really a half season), I was glad he stayed healthy. I thought he did a good job acclimating to the team which is complete garbage. He had little time to learn his line-mates or system with a lack of training camp. I think he has more potential and better within him than he has shown this season. I wouldn't be ready to show him the door so quickly, personally. We need to remember that we traded for Versteeg, and over-paid for kopecky, and Campbell felt slighted in Chicago which led to him waiving to come here. This isn't a destination for free-agents yet. Fleischmann had serious question marks surrounding himself that Tallon had the balls to take on. It's fine talking about replacements potentially for Mueller, but I'm not sold on the idea that FA's want to come here. Mueller wanted to come here, and I think he did well enough this season to warrant coming back. If Tallon indeed wants to look at moving Mueller, then I sure as hell hope he has a good plan to bring in a forward with consistent goal scoring ability (even if Mueller wasn't so consistent this season).
I dont think he is going to move Mueller. He is a good second line forward, who as you said, is coming back from an injury riddled past couple of seasons. He can be a 15-20 goal scorer for us with the right linemates, and is excellent in the SOs. Tallon spoke about him being part of the future, so I wouldnt think that these latest comments are meant for us to think otherwise.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
NYI has Matt Martin, who can play hockey. Or are you referring to Boulton who has played like 10 games and is more often than not a healthy scratch?

Ottawa has Chris Neil, who can play hockey. Unless you're referring to Matt Kassian who has played like 10 games and is more often than not a healthy scratch.

Toronto is the only team with an "enforcer" who plays consistently.

If you want to keep around a guy like Kassian who can shuttle between SA and the NHL, and play in the handful of games he's actually needed, fine. but we shouldn't rely on a guy like that anymore to play 82 games...especially not Parros.

I don't really care if Selleck can go with heavyweights because they're becoming irrelevant. He's willing, and just because he got KO'd by Westgarth doesn't mean he will every time he drops them. He's gone with heavyweights before in the AHL several times. The guys he will need to go up against to protect, he can compete and beat in fights and that's all that matters.

and you take every critique of our players as if im bashing them. I'm not bashing Markstrom, just like i'm not bashing Gudbranson. but he's not ready to be a full-time #1. bring in someone to compete with him so his confidence isn't ruined when he goes through one of his down spells.
NYI has Carkner, who played in half the games. Point being, whether they can play or not, heavies are still around. In the system, still around, able to be called up, enforcers are where they've always been.

Not sold on Selleck, not as our lone fighter, anyway. Wreaks of the days of Tarnasky, and basically no true fighter. Again, move Parros, don't see Selleck as the lone answer.

So far as Markstrom, not saying you're Gud'ing him, but I don't think he's one to worry about. An I highly doubt his confidence is a concern, either. The kid has played elite hockey in several places, he knows his skill.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:44 PM
nhlfan9191

Getting rid of Clemmenson should be done ASAP. I know we're a budget team, but common, he has one year left at a million. we can't honestly be that cheap. Resign Theo and if not, get us another goalie that can help Mentor Marky. I'm so glad this seasons over. I couldn't even stay interested after game 20. Good thing center ice was only $50 bucks this year.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:45 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Curious on your thoughts.

Friends tweeted how their in game presentation puts ours to shame. Starting with a real scoreboard. And their fan appreciation giveaways etc embarrassed ours. pathetic in comparison.
I don't want to say it put ours to shame necessarily. They definitely do things differently there that's for sure. I'll get to the scoreboard later but here's my thoughts initially about their arena first:

1. The arena layout, which is something we cant change for us, I felt was easier to get to our seats. I sat in the lower bowl, same basic section & row I sit in normally at BB&T Center. No one in the lower bowl has to walk up to seats at all (not that I do but something worth noting). So as a result, the seating isn't as steep as ours which actually gives everyone more leg room (this I absolutely loved being 6'4" 230lbs myself). The layout definitely reminded me of Marlins Park for those of you that have attended a game there. Very open so even as you're walking around, you can still kinda see the game going on. There was even an area that had a bunch of seats where people could just hang out like a lounge (no backs on the seats but open).

2. As you did walk around, I noticed their food stations kinda sucked compared to ours. It seemed to take longer and lines got in the way of actually walking the concourses. But a nice thing they do is that they have long high tables so people can stand and eat/drink. I hate those stupid round tables they have in our arena because it cant accommodate more than 4 people at a time. This would be something easy that our arena could do very easily.

3. Outside in front of the arena, they actually had a bar area with high top seating and it was under cover (in case of rain obviously) which I thought was great. Another something easy that could be done at our arena and provide an added experience benefit for the fans.

4. Now back inside to the concourses, as you walked around, they had flat screens facing both directions as you walked. So you could see stuff like out of town scores and they also obviously advertised upcoming events as well (like a Bruno Mars concert). Another easy thing that could be done at BB&T though it would cost some money to put up the TVs throughout. But its good for advertising so there's a benefit there.

5. Their bathrooms definitely weren't as nice and more of a wait than we have. My wife never has to wait at BB&T and she had to wait for like 5 mins just to go. So there's a definite plus there for our in-game experience.

6. Yes their scoreboard is very nice though I almost think its too large TBH. Its very long so the sidelines can really get a good view but the endzones got a very small screen that kinda took away from the experience if you ask me. I did think it was awesome how they have a camera on the bottom of it though so they get a top down view of the faceoff being projected on that scoreboard. I kinda like the hexagonal format of our scoreboard better but maybe a little bigger would be good and then obviously in HD. How they use it, I'll cover in the next bit.

Ok now on to the actual in-game experience stuff that I'm sure most want to know about moreso:

1. Since I just mentioned the scoreboard, I'll say they were on point with the replays after every stoppage in play. This has nothing to do with the quality of the scoreboard though if you ask me, just they had the clips ready to go. And they had a ton of sponsors on the scoreboard too so there's plenty of advertising capabilities for Yormark to utilize. I did like how they showed faceoff stats along with shots on goal on their scoreboard.

2. As far as announcer goes, I thought he was much better than Jay Rokeach. Sounded better and I felt like he improved the quality of the experience.

3. For the people that complain that our speakers are loud, I felt like theirs was even louder than ours. So if you have that complaint in our arena, you would hate it more in Tampa.

4. As far as music goes, they seemed to have more classic stuff played (which we do at times) but do have some songs that are obviously specific for specific players (like when Marty St Louis scores they play Louie Louie). I think they don't go as overboard on the music though which is good.

5. Cheerleaders there were actually either in the crowd or in the concourse and seemed less about dancing than ours. I kinda like this better personally than what we have as it improves the overall experience moreso than the dancers we have. Their outfits to me were also more family friendly which probably is something that won't be changed with our group.

6. They were always celebrating their past players, even the ones that are no longer there (like Brad Richards for example). A couple of video montages that I can recall. Fans reacted to that quite a bit and I don't think it would be a bad thing for us to do either. Though I guess we don't have the same success technically that they have had but wouldn't be hard to do with the fact we brought guys back into our org like signing Jovo, hiring Skrudland, McCabe, etc and would be great for fan interaction.

7. They seemed to do several different things that related to the local area & supporting people in the area. They did 2 different salutes to soldiers from the area which obviously always draws a big fan reaction. They also did a montage for a fan who was doing charitable work that the team was donating money too as well. We do stuff like the latter but not the former as much as we should. And even when we do some stuff its not really done well if you ask me.

8. Yes the giveaways to their season ticket holders were so much better. And its not like they all had to cost a lot either. They were giving away a lot of autographed stuff like pucks, sticks & jerseys that wouldn't cost that much to do IMO. But they definitely had a ton of them throughout this game, way more than I saw on Thurs. Oh and one thing I thought was cool too was that all the season ticket holders had patches on their jerseys so everyone knew who were and who weren't (just a simple little thing on the right side that said "STM" for season ticket member).

9. So their in-between entertainment was almost non-existent except for between periods. While we probably go overboard, I didn't see them do anything at all really. My wife loves those little things with Bill Murphy and feels it adds to the experience. We both agree though that Andrea O'Crapo is worthless and should go. I know some people hate the little games where they give away tickets to upcoming events or what-not but there is value there for a fan experience. Its probably more in how its executed than anything else.

10. They seemed to have developed specific fan engagement over the yrs so that fans know what to do at specific times without people needing any prompting. Their in-arena guys were just tossing t-shirts and not trying to do much with the crowd because the crowd already knew what & when to do things. I cant quite blame the in-game guys for our fans not really having a consistent thing happening. That goes to marketing guys who need to learn how to create an experience. And I like their saying "Be the Thunder", we need something like that too.

11. I'm not sure if they normally have such a large amount but their 50/50 raffle got up to over $25,000. I don't think I remember one time where ours got up over $10,000. And the total was always up-to-date on the scoreboard and kept showing the increases as it came in. They had 4 specific spots in the arena to go buy the tickets as well (2 on the 1st level and 2 upstairs on their upper level).

Sorry for the length and lateness but after getting back this afternoon had a lot to do and I did want to get down all my thoughts from the game. Overall, I enjoyed myself at the game. I stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown so it was (literally) a 2 min walk back to the hotel. If anyone ever wants to go to a game over there, that would be my recommendation for where to stay as well. I think we will be taking one or 2 more trips over there next season to take in games so I'm looking forward to them after this weekend.

Last edited by CoolburnIsGone: 04-28-2013 at 07:51 PM.
CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Glad I was able to see Bjugs score before the season ended and also glad we ended on a high note with a win and another 3pt night for Huby!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:11 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I don't want to say it put ours to shame necessarily. They definitely do things differently there that's for sure. I'll get to the scoreboard later but here's my thoughts initially about their arena first:

1. The arena layout, which is something we cant change for us, I felt was easier to get to our seats. I sat in the lower bowl, same basic section & row I sit in normally at BB&T Center. No one in the lower bowl has to walk up to seats at all (not that I do but something worth noting). So as a result, the seating isn't as steep as ours which actually gives everyone more leg room (this I absolutely loved being 6'4" 230lbs myself). The layout definitely reminded me of Marlins Park for those of you that have attended a game there. Very open so even as you're walking around, you can still kinda see the game going on. There was even an area that had a bunch of seats where people could just hang out like a lounge (no backs on the seats but open).

2. As you did walk around, I noticed their food stations kinda sucked compared to ours. It seemed to take longer and lines got in the way of actually walking the concourses. But a nice thing they do is that they have long high tables so people can stand and eat/drink. I hate those stupid round tables they have in our arena because it cant accommodate more than 4 people at a time. This would be something easy that our arena could do very easily.

3. Outside in front of the arena, they actually had a bar area with high top seating and it was under cover (in case of rain obviously) which I thought was great. Another something easy that could be done at our arena and provide an added experience benefit for the fans.

4. Now back inside to the concourses, as you walked around, they had flat screens facing both directions as you walked. So you could see stuff like out of town scores and they also obviously advertised upcoming events as well (like a Bruno Mars concert). Another easy thing that could be done at BB&T though it would cost some money to put up the TVs throughout. But its good for advertising so there's a benefit there.

5. Their bathrooms definitely weren't as nice and more of a wait than we have. My wife never has to wait at BB&T and she had to wait for like 5 mins just to go. So there's a definite plus there for our in-game experience.

6. Yes their scoreboard is very nice though I almost think its too large TBH. Its very long so the sidelines can really get a good view but the endzones got a very small screen that kinda took away from the experience if you ask me. I did think it was awesome how they have a camera on the bottom of it though so they get a top down view of the faceoff being projected on that scoreboard. I kinda like the hexagonal format of our scoreboard better but maybe a little bigger would be good and then obviously in HD. How they use it, I'll cover in the next bit.

Ok now on to the actual in-game experience stuff that I'm sure most want to know about moreso:

1. Since I just mentioned the scoreboard, I'll say they were on point with the replays after every stoppage in play. This has nothing to do with the quality of the scoreboard though if you ask me, just they had the clips ready to go. And they had a ton of sponsors on the scoreboard too so there's plenty of advertising capabilities for Yormark to utilize. I did like how they showed faceoff stats along with shots on goal on their scoreboard.

2. As far as announcer goes, I thought he was much better than Jay Rokeach. Sounded better and I felt like he improved the quality of the experience.

3. For the people that complain that our speakers are loud, I felt like theirs was even louder than ours. So if you have that complaint in our arena, you would hate it more in Tampa.

4. As far as music goes, they seemed to have more classic stuff played (which we do at times) but do have some songs that are obviously specific for specific players (like when Marty St Louis scores they play Louie Louie). I think they don't go as overboard on the music though which is good.

5. Cheerleaders there were actually either in the crowd or in the concourse and seemed less about dancing than ours. I kinda like this better personally than what we have as it improves the overall experience moreso than the dancers we have. Their outfits to me were also more family friendly which probably is something that won't be changed with our group.

6. They were always celebrating their past players, even the ones that are no longer there (like Brad Richards for example). A couple of video montages that I can recall. Fans reacted to that quite a bit and I don't think it would be a bad thing for us to do either. Though I guess we don't have the same success technically that they have had but wouldn't be hard to do with the fact we brought guys back into our org like signing Jovo, hiring Skrudland, McCabe, etc and would be great for fan interaction.

7. They seemed to do several different things that related to the local area & supporting people in the area. They did 2 different salutes to soldiers from the area which obviously always draws a big fan reaction. They also did a montage for a fan who was doing charitable work that the team was donating money too as well. We do stuff like the latter but not the former as much as we should. And even when we do some stuff its not really done well if you ask me.

8. Yes the giveaways to their season ticket holders were so much better. And its not like they all had to cost a lot either. They were giving away a lot of autographed stuff like pucks, sticks & jerseys that wouldn't cost that much to do IMO. But they definitely had a ton of them throughout this game, way more than I saw on Thurs. Oh and one thing I thought was cool too was that all the season ticket holders had patches on their jerseys so everyone knew who were and who weren't (just a simple little thing on the right side that said "STM" for season ticket member).

9. So their in-between entertainment was almost non-existent except for between periods. While we probably go overboard, I didn't see them do anything at all really. My wife loves those little things with Bill Murphy and feels it adds to the experience. We both agree though that Andrea O'Crapo is worthless and should go. I know some people hate the little games where they give away tickets to upcoming events or what-not but there is value there for a fan experience. Its probably more in how its executed than anything else.

10. They seemed to have developed specific fan engagement over the yrs so that fans know what to do at specific times without people needing any prompting. Their in-arena guys were just tossing t-shirts and not trying to do much with the crowd because the crowd already knew what & when to do things. I cant quite blame the in-game guys for our fans not really having a consistent thing happening. That goes to marketing guys who need to learn how to create an experience. And I like their saying "Be the Thunder", we need something like that too.

11. I'm not sure if they normally have such a large amount but their 50/50 raffle got up to over $25,000. I don't think I remember one time where ours got up over $10,000. And the total was always up-to-date on the scoreboard and kept showing the increases as it came in. They had 4 specific spots in the arena to go buy the tickets as well (2 on the 1st level and 2 upstairs on their upper level).

Sorry for the length and lateness but after getting back this afternoon had a lot to do and I did want to get down all my thoughts from the game. Overall, I enjoyed myself at the game. I stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown so it was (literally) a 2 min walk back to the hotel. If anyone ever wants to go to a game over there, that would be my recommendation for where to stay as well. I think we will be taking one or 2 more trips over there next season to take in games so I'm looking forward to them after this weekend.
great summary. thx.

And it does sound like it puts us to shame.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote