HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 07:53 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Barkov set records in Finland for his age. Nobody has ever done that. And look at all the great Finnish players through the years. Plus his size is fantastic. I am more than happy with any of drouin Mack or bark. All three are studs.

Just imagine if barkov had a drouin or Mack to play with?! He did this as the main star player

Old
04-28-2013, 07:55 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorsfan2015 View Post
Poile on Lottery: "Hopefully our pick at the entry level draft will be another foundation piece [at forward]...unless we pick 1st." -Ryan Porth @smashville247

So, Poile pretty much said that if we get #1, we're picking Seth Jones...

Thoughts?
Hopefully it's just posturing. Everybody knows our real need is at forward, but we need other teams to think we'll pick Jones if we win the lottery so that teams who want him will be more desperate to trade up.

Winning the lottery and then trading down to the 2nd or 3rd pick would be pretty sweet.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Iron Duke

I wouldn't be surprised at all, and am prepared for it if we win the lottery. Organization has always built from the back end out, and adding a second franchise defenseman to the one we have locked up for the next 13 is just too tempting. Weber, Jones, Josi as the backbone of the D is a guarantee of competitiveness for the next decade. Not sure the board will survive such a pick, however.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:08 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all, and am prepared for it if we win the lottery. Organization has always built from the back end out, and adding a second franchise defenseman to the one we have locked up for the next 13 is just too tempting. Weber, Jones, Josi as the backbone of the D is a guarantee of competitiveness for the next decade. Not sure the board will survive such a pick, however.
Only weber is locked up. There is nothing saying we would have jones and josi for ten years.

Besides, if we had a franchise forward that would even contribute more than a 'second' franchise dman. As we have all seen how many cups we won with weber and suter and no goals.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Only weber is locked up. There is nothing saying we would have jones and josi for ten years.

Besides, if we had a franchise forward that would even contribute more than a 'second' franchise dman. As we have all seen how many cups we won with weber and suter and no goals.
Presumably, the organization is clear of the financial constraints that had prevented it from acquiring and retaining its offensive talent (well, and defensive talent for that matter). It's not like Kariya, Sullivan, Dumont, Artnott, etc... were drafted by the Preds.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:00 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Presumably, the organization is clear of the financial constraints that had prevented it from acquiring and retaining its offensive talent (well, and defensive talent for that matter). It's not like Kariya, Sullivan, Dumont, Artnott, etc... were drafted by the Preds.
We had the cash to keep suter as well.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
We had the cash to keep suter as well.
Of course. Point being, drafting Jones does not preclude us from acquiring enough offensive talent going forward. That was not a luxury this organization had in the past. It doesn't mean we will acquire everybody we want, or even be able to keep all our own guys, but it should give Poile some free reign to solve some of the talent woes that he hadn't had the means to before.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:

Jones' family is from Tennessee that would go a long way towards keeping him here.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:45 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Jones' family is from Tennessee that would go a long way towards keeping him here.
Oh really?! I did not know this.

Now I'm just afraid poile is going to make moves to get jones rather than Mack, drouin or bark...

Old
04-28-2013, 09:58 PM
glenngineer

His dad is Popeye Jones. I believe he played for Memphis for a while if I'm not mistaken. Would make a pretty cool story.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:12 PM
braindead

At this point, I don't care really. We draft 1,4 or 5 so Poile and company have a great opportunity to add a key asset. I'm counting on them to figure out the best pick... I don't have a clue but I do like reading that there may be 6 players in this draft that could go #1 in other years.

As others have said, that asset won't save our bacon next year... unlikely that person will even be on the team. However, this is a great opportunity to strengthen our franchise and maybe aim toward another open window to make a real run at the cup in a few years when Rinne/Weber/Josi/Klein are anchoring the defense and our forward corp has (hopefully) emerged.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
Mack and Drouin are worth it.

I think Barkov is one of those traps, that obviously looks like he's good because he did well as he was young. However, I don't see the past production that I see from some of the others. I think he's another Legwand and no offense, but we want more production than that.
He's 17 years old, he scored at a .500 pace as a 16 year old in SM-Liiga... what other past production do you want to see? He's going to be a big, productive center. And I think Trotz is smart enough to see that he's got Fisher, Legwand and Gaustad on the 2-4 lines and doesn't need Barkov to come in and be a shutdown guy, if he's defensively responsible as advertised, then that will probably be enough with just a little refinement.

Of course Lindholm could be the pick anyway, so who knows.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:43 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
He's 17 years old, he scored at a .500 pace as a 16 year old in SM-Liiga... what other past production do you want to see? He's going to be a big, productive center. And I think Trotz is smart enough to see that he's got Fisher, Legwand and Gaustad on the 2-4 lines and doesn't need Barkov to come in and be a shutdown guy, if he's defensively responsible as advertised, then that will probably be enough with just a little refinement.

If barkov is available and we take Lindholm......

Old
04-29-2013, 01:51 AM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post

That's great, but we need Mack honestly, he's been the most consistent through AAA and until now. Barkov just recently started scoring at that pace. Mack is 17 and has been at a pace like that for many years.

I get it, Barkov is another draft name that is being hyped across the boards for his amazing ability and being so young. However, he's only 1 year younger than Drouin and the same age as Mack...why take the one who doesn't produce as well?

Old
04-29-2013, 07:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We've done the 2 elite defenseman thing. I want to do the elite defenseman, elite goalie, elite forward thing now.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
why take the one who doesn't produce as well?
Because the other two will be off the board when the Preds pick? This is like the people who STILL say we should have drafted Lecavalier instead of Legwand...

Of course I would love to trade up and get MacKinnon, but Barkov is not just some crappy consolation prize. We will be very happy to have him in Nashville. It's especially difficult to compare Canada Jrs to Swedish and Finish elite leagues. But if professional scouts say that Barkov is #4 and can make an immediate and long-term impact, then i'm going to go with them. I don't really care what guys do when they are 12 or 15... what they do in their draft year is usually the best indication because it's the most recent and often the most applicable (they face their best competition) data.

We're drooling over Forsberg, he scored 17 points in 43 games in his draft season, Alex Ovechkin scored 4 points and 15 points in the two seasons before his draft year, Malkin scored 12 points in the season before his draft year. On the other side, I could list hundreds of players who scored crazy numbers in Jr Hockey and didn't pan out in the NHL.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:37 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
That's great, but we need Mack honestly, he's been the most consistent through AAA and until now. Barkov just recently started scoring at that pace. Mack is 17 and has been at a pace like that for many years.

I get it, Barkov is another draft name that is being hyped across the boards for his amazing ability and being so young. However, he's only 1 year younger than Drouin and the same age as Mack...why take the one who doesn't produce as well?
and if the Barkov hype continues its entirely possible that he goes ahead of Mac or Drouin and one of those two is available at 4. Thats especially true if the teams ahead of us decide they need centermen (which we also need but if that meant Drouin dropped to us I wouldnt be upset at all)

Old
04-29-2013, 09:05 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

There are 3-4 projected immediate impact top six forwards in this year's draft with another 3-4 projected high quality picks all in the top 10 of the various rankings. The scouting staff has to evaluate wings and centers ... Fins, Swedes, Russians, and North Americans ... assess how differing leagues compare. It's all over but the waiting for us. Waiting to see the results of the lottery. Waiting to see who we pick. Waiting to see if they translate to the NHL as well as projected.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:09 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
and if the Barkov hype continues its entirely possible that he goes ahead of Mac or Drouin and one of those two is available at 4. Thats especially true if the teams ahead of us decide they need centermen (which we also need but if that meant Drouin dropped to us I wouldnt be upset at all)

The more I think about it, the more I think I would prefer barkov to drouin.

Mack will not slip to us at four, guaranteed.

Top five IMO is set in stone, just not sure of exact order.

Mack
Jones
Drouin
Nichushkin
Bark

In no particular order.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:22 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
There are 3-4 projected immediate impact top six forwards in this year's draft with another 3-4 projected high quality picks all in the top 10 of the various rankings. The scouting staff has to evaluate wings and centers ... Fins, Swedes, Russians, and North Americans ... assess how differing leagues compare. It's all over but the waiting for us. Waiting to see the results of the lottery. Waiting to see who we pick. Waiting to see if they translate to the NHL as well as projected.
did you happen to see the commercial for Gentlemen Jack called "the Order"?

what time are you gonna start today?

Old
04-29-2013, 09:26 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
get over yourself already....
OK, I came off like a jerk there, so I apologize.

But the fact is, the broken system we have rewards the worst records by far. The minute you're out of the playoffs it's better to lose every single game.

The NHL is unique in that the the draft pool is similar to the NBA in that top few draft picks are usually much better than the picks behind, but the developmental system is similar to MLB - obut MLB drafts are much deeper and can find draft pick values in multiple rounds.

The NBA doesn't have the tanking problem because the teams usually arent' so bunched up that one loss would mean a huge change in the lottery chances.

Instead of giving everyone who doesn't make the playoffs a lottery ticket (really, what's a 1.3% chance really worth), they should just jumble the bottom 5 teams in a hat and give them an equal chance. What says that team that finshes 26th is in need of any less help than the team that finishes 30th, and would discourage tanking to any real degree.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

You know that Barkov isn't playing in a junior league, right? He's playing against grown men in a league that's essentially a very small notch below the American Hockey League. Drouin and Mackinnon are putting up huge numbers...in the QMJHL against 16-20 year olds.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

One note...

Nicushkin is probably the second most talented\skilled forward in the entire draft. His frame, ability and shot are said to be the best that Russia has produced since Ovechkin--whom he compares favorably to, stylistically. On several scouting lists, he's ranked number 2 in the whole draft.

HOWEVER-- the "Russian Factor" is heavily at play, which will turn many teams off.

The good news is that Tampa Bay has historically not shyed away from taking a Russian--using high picks on Andrei Vasilevski and Nikita Kucherov just last year, whereas many others passed on them due to KHL questions.

If there's one team that could take Nicushkin based on ability alone without fear of his nationality, it's Tampa--which could cause one of the other "big three" to fall to four.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:44 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

One of the guys at TSN has Drouin over Mac at this point.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
One of the guys at TSN has Drouin over Mac at this point.
Craig Button, yeah

Closed Thread