HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 8: Fire This Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 06:01 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

vCash: 500
Game 1's GDT is finished.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:14 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I blame the people who don't understand the basic tenants of aggregate supply.
Landlords?

Old
04-28-2013, 10:18 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Wow, despite having a cheat day only a couple days ago, still lost seven lbs this past week. Back down to 170 after taking about two weeks off.

And I'm about 95% sure I'm going to put an offer in on the Evanston place. Great apartment and neighborhood, with a garage, close to a bunch of stores, and easy walking distance from the Red Line. Only downside is that it has just a single bathroom compared to the other place I was considering having two, but won't really be an issue as I'll be living by myself, and I might not be able to go through my title company to buy the place and thereby get a discount, though I'll certainly try to make that happen.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Did anyone catch the news last night? Lots of good stuff. The kids ditching the PSAE were hilarious, so ****ing dumb, lol.

The one kid, I thought he should be in special ed, that's how slow and dim witted he was. He was just a regular student though. The reporter was really condescending toward everyone she interviewed. You usually don't see that kind of subjectivity but it was clear as day with this woman and this story. She clearly was staunchly against the ditching and the protest and he didn't pick up on it at all. At the end, she asked him if he was coached on his answers, which was hilarious because he had such a hard time spitting them out. His response, "Yes, ma'am" HILARIOUS, I don't know if they stream the previous day's news online but check it out, I believe it was channel 9 I was watching.

Then, the "Fight for 15". I hadn't heard about this thing at all. Apparently there is a nationwide movement by fast food workers to get paid 15 dollars an hour starting wage. As part of it, they have staged walkouts where most of the crew at a fast food place just walk out in the middle of the shift and go home. When they were questioned about it by the reporter, the response was something like "I have bills to pay. It's gotta be 15 dollars an hour at least to give me the money I need. Time to get paid!"
If I was the owner of a fast food joint I would have fired anyone who walked out... You can bet there plenty of people out there, especially in the economy that would gladly take those jobs at their present wages.

If they want 15 dollars an hour they can learn a skill. Flipping burgers and taking orders is not a skill - anyone can do that.

Beggars cant be choosers.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
While I don't think fastfood workers should be paid $15 an hour to start they should be paid more and especially in certain areas.

When I moved here to the Bay Area from Toronto after living in Miami and Chicago before I almost passed out when I saw, housing, gas, and basic need prices. The minimum wage out here isn't enough for people to live on.

This all goes to the end of "the Other Guys" when you see how far spiked the salaries are for CEOs of companies compared to their employees. Yes people in general should get paid more, because their bosses should get paid less.
If people want more money then they should learn a trade or skill.

Anyone can flip a burger...

Honestly, I'm getting tired of the whole "entitlement" philosophy of these remedial workers.

Jobs at Mc Donalds or Burger King etc are supposed to be for high school kids - not careers. Those jobs aren't meant to be life lines to support families.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:33 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
In the ER. Apparently my bruised sternum I've been working on is a broken rib. Whoops.

Also pain medication is wonderful.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:05 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
If people want more money then they should learn a trade or skill.

Anyone can flip a burger...

Honestly, I'm getting tired of the whole "entitlement" philosophy of these remedial workers.

Jobs at Mc Donalds or Burger King etc are supposed to be for high school kids - not careers. Those jobs aren't meant to be life lines to support families.
There are plenty of people who for one reason or another, who have these skills can't fine work in other areas.

My cousin has a degree in Business Management and has to work at Target because he is having a hard time finding work.

These people are looking to get paid more because in some of these jobs there aren't getting paid enough to simply live. While I agree 15 is too high I do think many of them should get paid more.

Best of all if you start paying people who don't make much you will stimulate the economy because they will then go out and spend that money.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:16 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
There are plenty of people who for one reason or another, who have these skills can't fine work in other areas.

My cousin has a degree in Business Management and has to work at Target because he is having a hard time finding work.

These people are looking to get paid more because in some of these jobs there aren't getting paid enough to simply live. While I agree 15 is too high I do think many of them should get paid more.

Best of all if you start paying people who don't make much you will stimulate the economy because they will then go out and spend that money.
if you pay people more the price of goods goes up and negates at least part of the pay increase anyway. and when you start paying people in manufacturing industries more it starts to marginalize entire industries in a country. textiles, steel, auto, etc...

Old
04-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
In the ER. Apparently my bruised sternum I've been working on is a broken rib. Whoops.

Also pain medication is wonderful.
That's harsh. Get better soon.

At least you've got the pain meds though. They are fantastic.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Wow, despite having a cheat day only a couple days ago, still lost seven lbs this past week. Back down to 170 after taking about two weeks off.

And I'm about 95% sure I'm going to put an offer in on the Evanston place. Great apartment and neighborhood, with a garage, close to a bunch of stores, and easy walking distance from the Red Line. Only downside is that it has just a single bathroom compared to the other place I was considering having two, but won't really be an issue as I'll be living by myself, and I might not be able to go through my title company to buy the place and thereby get a discount, though I'll certainly try to make that happen.
Nice.

I love Evanston. Easily the best suburb I've ever been to.

Disclaimer: I grew up in Evanston. Your mileage may vary.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Got the internet a few days ago, no longer off the grid. I didn't really realize how much I missed TV, watching the shows I like. A whole year without anything. My question is what is the best site to use? I've just been using OV Guide but they don't have a lot of the shows I would like, espeically recently aired ones. I'm looking for a site that shows the most recent seasons of shows like Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy and The League. What are the best free sites and I am also open to paying a monthly fee if there is a site that has everything.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
if you pay people more the price of goods goes up and negates at least part of the pay increase anyway. and when you start paying people in manufacturing industries more it starts to marginalize entire industries in a country. textiles, steel, auto, etc...
Paying people more barely raises the price of goods, especially if they are smart with it.

I worked at McDonalds when I was in high school, any one of them could easily give all of their employees a $2 raise and not have to raise any price because their food cost overheard was next to nothing.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:11 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Paying people more barely raises the price of goods, especially if they are smart with it.

I worked at McDonalds when I was in high school, any one of them could easily give all of their employees a $2 raise and not have to raise any price because their food cost overheard was next to nothing.
not sure about the fast food industry, but i know retail operates on pretty thin margins.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
not sure about the fast food industry, but i know retail operates on pretty thin margins.
I wanna say grocery stores operate on like 1-2% margins and just rely on really high turnover.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:28 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I worked for Jewel, and I know we operated on a less than 1% profit margin.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:30 PM
madgoat33

target is the same way. razor thin margins at a lot of stores

Old
04-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Wal-Mart can keep their prices so low because not only do they not pay their employees anything but their benefits are more then the average employee can make and they will actively fire people who want to form unions.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:12 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Taco Bell franchise in Indiana (they own literally everyone, some in KY too) that I worked for cleans up.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:20 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
In the process of putting in an offer for the Evanston place. Fingers crossed....

Old
04-29-2013, 11:49 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Wal-Mart can keep their prices so low because not only do they not pay their employees anything but their benefits are more then the average employee can make and they will actively fire people who want to form unions.
they pay their managers just fine thank you!

Old
04-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

Eating tuna sandwiches with Lay's classic chips on them.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:08 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

That sounds delicious.

Add melted cheese. Homemade tuna melts...

Old
04-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

I'd make tuna melts, but we have no rye bread. That's what my family uses for them.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:13 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Personally I've never cared much about the type of bread. All about the cheese.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

Tomorrow morning.

Closed Thread