HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 12:53 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Bob has looked great in Columbus for this half season and Mason has looked great in Philly for his half dozen games or whatever but goalie performance is so volatile I wouldn't trust either one too much. I feel like only truly generational talents are consistent from year to year (Lundqvist, Brodeur of 5 years ago, Roy, Hasek, etc.). Everyone else fluctuates through hot streaks and cold streaks depending on some combination of their inherent skill, puck luck, and the defense in front of them. That's why I've always been a proponent of the goalie by committee approach.

If you have two capable but not big name goaltenders they always are being pushed to be at their best by the competition, they are both on relatively cheap deals, and you have double the chance of finding a hot goalie for a playoff run which is all that really matters anyway. Look at Holtby last year, or hell even Quick who won a Conn Smythe for his insane playoff run then regressed to have a save % of barely over .900 this year despite playing behind one of the best puck possession teams in the league. Speaking of Conn Smythe winners, how about Cam Ward who took his team to the Cup, signed a big deal, and has been a middle of the pack goalie ever since? Or JS Giguere who was so good he won the Conn Smythe on the losing team then promptly became a career backup? Doesn't Brian Boucher still hold the consecutive shutout record of the last 30 years?

Unless you have a generational goalie, they are like closers in baseball or kickers in football. Better off investing in the team in front of them and hoping one of them gets hot at the right time than locking one down long term. Bryz is almost definitely getting amnestied next summer, I just hope they don't replace his contract with another big one no matter who it goes to.
Quick didn't regress, he had back surgery and it took him up till the past ten games or so to get back to where he was last year.

Edit: Beef beat me to it!

Old
04-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Had no idea Quick had back surgery, he probably deserves a pass for now especially since we're talking about a half season sample size. Craig Anderson is a good example though.
I haven't double checked to confirm this, but I believe he was actually due to be out until December or January had the season started on time.

Anderson though has been very good in the past. I seem to remember he was excellent in Colorado before being sent to Ottawa, where he promptly failed to live up to his previous work...until this year.

Edit: There, I checked his stats instead of eyeballing my memory. He looks pretty up and down.

04-28-2013, 01:35 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I haven't double checked to confirm this, but I believe he was actually due to be out until December or January had the season started on time.

Anderson though has been very good in the past. I seem to remember he was excellent in Colorado before being sent to Ottawa, where he promptly failed to live up to his previous work...until this year.

Edit: There, I checked his stats instead of eyeballing my memory. He looks pretty up and down.
I think if you check the stats of most goalies in the league you'll find they are pretty up and down. Part of that is that there aren't really any great statistics to measure goalie performance outside of save percentage, but most of it is that goalies are dependent on the team and system in front of them.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Sounds like Bryz offered another discourse to the media today.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:56 PM
BillDineen

Here was the interview transcript with Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov Sunday afternoon at the teamís practice facility in Voorhees.

If Iím asked a question from a couple days ago, the interviewís over. Letís find out how good you are, guys.

Overall opinion of the seasonÖ
You know, you need some time to analyze whatís happening here and make some decisions, take some positives from this season, negativities and move forward. I need the time to analyze everything. We just finished yesterday and you right away want answers.

Does the blame bother you?
Not anymore. Not anymore. You guys just here to blame someone. You never look yourselves in the mirror, eh? Youíre always good. You never make the mistakes. Your articles are always perfect. In reality, what have you done for this city? If you ask yourself, what have you done besides only criticize? Not much.

People who didn't criticizeÖ
You need to be fair. You need to see the whole picture. Itís easy to criticize. Itís tough to find something good.

What was good this season?
Iím not ready to answer that right now. We see lots of young players who came in, played hard at the end of the season.

Was the media coverage unfair?
Itís not like fair or unfair. We already had the conversation. Itís just ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Sometimes youíre reading and itís like, ĎOh my God, who is this lunatic?í What are they writing about. It was nothing close to the truth or close to related to hockey. You read this and youíre like, ĎOh my God, Iíve got to deal with these people every day.í Iíve said it before, guys. Before youíre writing something youíve got to read what youíre writing. Iím two years here. I never saw it like good article with everything, like, ĎFlyers lose the game because this, this, this, this, this. They need to improve their game like this, this, this or this.í I never. Thatís what called professionalism. Itís like, ĎOK, this reporter knows hockey. He knows what he talking about.í

Do you read every article, Bryz?
A lot. A lot. We have some clips in the locker room pretty much every day. I read a lot. I read a lot. Believe me.

Do you feel like you've been a professional since you've been here?
Iím here every day. I work very hard every game, every day, every practice. Yeah, maybe result is not what was expected, but I sweat a lot here. And bleed a lot.

On report or speculation about not being in Philly next yearÖ
You know, itís out of my hands. I told you, itís out of my hands and I have no control over this.

Do you want to be back?
I already answered that question before. They know the answer. Why I have to repeat myself?

Besides new reporters, what does this team need?
::Laughs:: Ah, man. Just the reporters. Again, we have some management, professional guys, the GM, coaches, scouts. They probably know what we need. Itís not my job. My job is just to came here next year if I came here, prepare physically, get to the ice, work hard. Play hard.

Would you change anything since you got here?
It doesnít matter. It doesnít matter if Iíd change or not. It doesnít change anything. Itís in the past. I gotta believe that. Itís my choice. Youíve got to deal with that right now. You probably want to ask me if I regret. Thatís what you want to ask? No, Iím not. Iíve had a tremendous experience here. Some things go good. Some things go wrong. Thatís life. You have problems in front of us. We got to deal with it and go through it. It only make us stronger.

You said the wins, it was too late and doesn't mean anythingÖ
You misunderstood. Question was about .500 or below the .500. That was my answer. You get me wrong again, guys. Thatís the question: winning and losing. Itís always a difference. Winning is always fun and great. Question was about the .500. It doesnít matter, really, if youíre five games above .500 or five games below. If youíre not making the playoffs, it doesnít mean anything. Itís pointless. That was my point about the .500 question.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:00 PM
BillDineen

Last question was a typical Tim P. type question to try and twist words.

I am 100% with Bryz against these tools. Especially Tim P. and Randy Miller. Ask the same question 5 times to see if you can get a different answer. Go back with antagonizing questions. If all else fails make up some bs.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post

I am 100% with Bryz against these tools. Especially Tim P. and Randy Miller. Ask the same question 5 times to see if you can get a different answer. Go back with antagonizing questions. If all else fails make up some bs.
Any way to petition to get Meltzer as our primary beat writer?

Old
04-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
I think if you check the stats of most goalies in the league you'll find they are pretty up and down. Part of that is that there aren't really any great statistics to measure goalie performance outside of save percentage, but most of it is that goalies are dependent on the team and system in front of them.
Some goalies are dependent, yes. Those goalies aren't paid in Bryz's range, hence the whole problem with Bryz being unable to perform unless the team babysits him.

Edit: on the other hand, sometimes the stats do simply reflect when a goalie flat out hasn't been good, regardless of the team. Cam Ward looked pretty bad this year. So did Bryz.

Edit 2: On the one hand, Bryz is right. Philly media is crap that prefers to point fingers or say stupid **** for attention (Couturier + 2nd for Bishop!), but on the other hand that whole interview reads like he's completely crumbled.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:10 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Yeah these guys are really unprofessional. It's a shame that there's some bloggers that are more professional than them and don't have the credentials to follow the team around.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:42 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

as much as i think tim p. is a retard, a lot of these interviews could just be laughed off and these guys are easy to make fun of and have fun with (chris pronger). Bryzgalov seems to take the garbage these guys write a little too serious and there's always a negative vibe around his interviews this year. It's pretty obvious he's sick of being here. The problem is we need a guy to push mason. Bryzgalov is a good goalie besides the cap hit. That's the question for me. Is it worth keeping him around for this next year if his seemingly bad attitude is a distraction? None of us are in that locker room so its hard to speculate but a bad apple can F us up bad especially on a younger team.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

You can find the video of the interview at this link.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/

Old
04-28-2013, 03:13 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You can find the video of the interview at this link.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/
Hartnell interview is the most interesting. Especially comments on trying to replicate other division teams in the D zone to start the year.

Guess we have to wait to see who wins the cup, so then the Flyers can again try and make changes to win the previous year's cup.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Here's the part when Bryzgalov sounded off to the media. (all the 'good stuff' was cut out in the link above)

Video via: HWC

Old
04-28-2013, 05:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Did anyone else catch that stare down Bryz gave Seravelli when he asked Bryz if he has been professional during his time here?

Old
04-28-2013, 05:39 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Hartnell interview is the most interesting. Especially comments on trying to replicate other division teams in the D zone to start the year.

Guess we have to wait to see who wins the cup, so then the Flyers can again try and make changes to win the previous year's cup.

That's what every team does.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:40 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Did anyone else catch that stare down Bryz gave Seravelli when he asked Bryz if he has been professional during his time here?
Why does Frank Seravalli look like a middle aged man? Dude needs to hit the gym and get just for men badly...

Old
04-28-2013, 05:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Why does Frank Seravalli look like a middle aged man? Dude needs to hit the gym and get just for men badly...
I always wondered how old he actually is? He looks young in the face but has grey hair and is out of shape.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:10 PM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Fun re-reading this BOB trade thread from the last off-season. It seems most here felt we were lucky to get a third round pick for him!
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1213609

Old
04-28-2013, 06:28 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
I always wondered how old he actually is? He looks young in the face but has grey hair and is out of shape.
He's only 25. We're the same age. I went to grade school with that dude that's why I'm like "Damn what happened?" Dude looks like he just saw the arc of the covenant.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:36 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Some goalies are dependent, yes. Those goalies aren't paid in Bryz's range, hence the whole problem with Bryz being unable to perform unless the team babysits him.

Edit: on the other hand, sometimes the stats do simply reflect when a goalie flat out hasn't been good, regardless of the team. Cam Ward looked pretty bad this year. So did Bryz.

Edit 2: On the one hand, Bryz is right. Philly media is crap that prefers to point fingers or say stupid **** for attention (Couturier + 2nd for Bishop!), but on the other hand that whole interview reads like he's completely crumbled.
Exactly. Obviously it's too late now but once Bryz gets amnestied I don't want this team looking at guys like Ryan Miller or anyone else who will make more than around 3.5 mill. At some point NHL teams are going to start realizing the same thing MLB teams are starting to realize about their bullpens: there is cheap talent out there that can be exploited through matchups and platooning. The age of the multi million dollar closer is almost over, hopefully the Flyers realize that the age of the multi million dollar goalie is coming to an end before the rest of the league beats them to it.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Exactly. Obviously it's too late now but once Bryz gets amnestied I don't want this team looking at guys like Ryan Miller or anyone else who will make more than around 3.5 mill. At some point NHL teams are going to start realizing the same thing MLB teams are starting to realize about their bullpens: there is cheap talent out there that can be exploited through matchups and platooning. The age of the multi million dollar closer is almost over, hopefully the Flyers realize that the age of the multi million dollar goalie is coming to an end before the rest of the league beats them to it.
People have been saying this about goalies since the cap era began, and I remember this debate really hit a crescendo during the Chicago/Philly series.

It depends on what a GM values, I guess: two reliable, solid goalies? Or one "elite" goalie and a backup?

Old
04-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Fun re-reading this BOB trade thread from the last off-season. It seems most here felt we were lucky to get a third round pick for him!
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1213609
I said this in that thread:

Quote:
So what are the chances we see Leighton signed as backup?

Dear lord, what did I cause!?

Old
04-28-2013, 08:48 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:

We found an answer to Timmy P. questions- this season failure is completely your fault

Please do not raise this qeustion again.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:51 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT

*clap,clap,clap,clap*

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT

Old
04-28-2013, 08:55 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:

We have found another scapegoat for this terrible season. Clearly, this is Beef's fault.

Closed Thread